Outskirts of Town

Columbia, TN

#42 Oct 5, 2008
We are also praying for both familys. This is definatly a tragidy..

A Red Lite there however would not have prevented this. When the trafic is heavy at school time and letting out of a ballgame there is someone there (every time I have saw) directing traffic. Possibly a better solution than spending thousands on a redlight would be to have the yellow school lights flashing for the what is it 20 mile an hour speed during the time of games and heavier congestion at a school function.
Where would you put the light? at which end since traffic seems heavier at both sides. What about in the middle where this accident seemed to have happened?
There are so many variables and quite a wide area inbetween. that 1 redlight would not cover this.

If other info is true in here, of course it being night and if they were wearing black and then someone said a game of chicken running out in front of a car, which I dont know if is true, but those factors alone a redlight will not prevented this unfortunatly. Again I think maybe during games and such running the school in session caution lights. That might help, who knows but worth a try.

Again our heart and prayers go out to the childs family and the driver. A very sad thing and tragidy to our community.
Just In

Indian Trail, NC

#43 Oct 5, 2008
I just now got off the phone with my cousi, who's at the hospital. She says Shawns condition is no worse nor no better. They just sent him for another ct to see if the bleeding in his brain has stopped. When I hear anything else I will let you know. But for now all we can do is pray.

“we're screwed!”

Since: Sep 08

Surgoinsville

#44 Oct 5, 2008
confused wrote:
<quoted text> who is this? how do you know this, how can you just say that and only that, if this isnt true your a crule person, every bodys on pins n needles waiting to here something, i realy hope your not just some randome person with nothin better to do with your self!!! if this is true my son , his best friend is not going to take this well at all, im worried for my son n, this chids family, the after math of this is going to be very painfull, n sad, dont think any one will ever, get over this, lord please take care of our friend!!
i agree, i don't even know the kid, but this is very upsetting. We're all pulling/ praying for him.
Just In

Indian Trail, NC

#45 Oct 5, 2008
The ct shows that the bleeding has stopped on its own. He is still in very critical condition though.
Sports Fan

Cookeville, TN

#46 Oct 5, 2008
wachedyter wrote:
You all need to write your local commissioners and request a red light be installed there at CHerokee. It is one of the most dangerous places to pull out in the county!
A red ligh wouldn't have made a difference in this case. Your idea was tried once and failed. You can't have a part time red light to function only during school hours and games.
Just In

Indian Trail, NC

#47 Oct 5, 2008
Sports Fan wrote:
<quoted text>A red ligh wouldn't have made a difference in this case. Your idea was tried once and failed. You can't have a part time red light to function only during school hours and games.
Why not? There are part time lights located in front of all of our schools to function during school hours and games. If vehichles are sitting at the entrance/exit... it trigers the light to change. Also in a school zone here our speed limit is thirty-five.
God is In Control

Kingsport, TN

#48 Oct 5, 2008
Shawn was a very good kid idk how many of youdidnt know him but i went through middle,and am now going through high school with him yes he may have gotten in trouble from time to time But everychild has there faults,And i disagree that he would be playing chicken!!!This is just a bad time for everyone friends family and even CHEROKKE HIGH SCHOOL!we have lost alot of out fellow class mates and it seems like we are losing more and more each day and year.When my mother came home and told me i just froze because i hadent talk to him in a while because you never see your friends as much but Please everyone just pray,God has the power todo anythin,and if its shawns time to go then there is nothin we can do about it i know we dont want it to happen but god knows whats best!
May God Be with Him & His Family and EVERY SINGLE PERSON READING THIS!!!
ONYX

Johnson City, TN

#49 Oct 5, 2008
punkrockmom wrote:
I just came home from work, and it is around 8p, and there were cars pulled over in front of cherokee the 2nd entrance (that leads to the office) and there was a guy lying on the ground face down, and there was a shoe in the turning lane little ways down the road, and i am PRAYING to god this kid is okay, im so worried, i live in persia and i just heard lifestar, and i feel awful, but thankfully the ambulance was coming up behind me as i was turning.
Please pray that this child is okay and makes it, and pray for his family, i could not imagine what his family is going through, and i hate that anyone has to go through it.
Please no one say anything mean, i don't want to start anything.. Thank you very much..
I heard it was Shawn Sweeny
ONYX

Johnson City, TN

#50 Oct 5, 2008
I am not for sure, but thats who I heard it was.(Shawn Sweeny)
Latest

Kingsport, TN

#51 Oct 5, 2008
Just talked to his sister a few minutes ago. She's on the way back to hospital. He has tried to pull IV out of arm this morning. The Dr's say that's a good sign. This was around 10 to 10:30 Sunday morning.

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#52 Oct 5, 2008
I have not heard about the young man who was in the accident this morning. Does anyone know how he is???

I thought about the school and wondered how hard it would be to put a row of street lights up in that area. Or to even build a cross-walk OVER the highway. There are alot of our kids that go across that road everyday to the restaurant. And they have been doing it for years. There is no way to stop it, only ways to make it safer.

I don't think ANYONE knows what happened but the people that were there WHEN it happened. I heard the boy was talking on a cell phone to someone inside the game when it happened. I heard he was wearing black. I heard it was a terrible accident. "HEARSAY" is not reliable, so I don't know what happened, I was not there.

I am not sure that a minors name would be published or broadcast by the media.

I think that as a community all we can do is pray for this child, the driver of the car and their families.

Since: Oct 08

Morristown, TN

#53 Oct 5, 2008
Shawn is our best friend..we have went to the hospital EVERYDAY && will be ther EVERYDAY..he is not dead so pls stop sayin it..he is in Holston Valley in the ICU..his skul is fractured his ankle is fractured his brain is swellin & bleedin sum still He has a broken arm && leg..whole right side is bruised..Shawn has a BIG heart && is VERY strong he will pull threw this jus PLS every1 keep SHAWN FOSTER SWEENEY in your prayers..every1 counts..Shawn we love you && we wil be there when you wake up..we will be there everyday..you will get threw this..you have alot of friends waitin 4 u to get better..we love you more than anything..Love Jessi Mikey && Adam

Since: Oct 08

Morristown, TN

#54 Oct 5, 2008
&& Shawn was wearin white clothes the car that hit him did not have head lights on && never attempted to hit the breaks..the car stopped over 300ft after he hit Swiney && they only stopped after Shawn fell off the hood..
Just Me

Redmond, WA

#55 Oct 5, 2008
While I agree that this a huge tragedy and that all need prayers, I do feel judgement of the driver of the vehicle should be halted until the facts are known.

They are probably suffering from guilt and remorse. I highly doubt that they ever intented for this to happen.

It would have taken time to stop a moving car, even if they were traveling the speed limit. It was dark and I feel certain that they might have not realized what was happening. Reaction times vary dependant upon the individual.

This appears as an accident. They happen unfortunately. My family was involved in a serious accident and I nearly lost a child. I know the heartbreak that accidents can bring.

My prayers are with all those involved. Prayer is powerful. May God bless all.
queen405

Kingsport, TN

#56 Oct 5, 2008
confused wrote:
<quoted text> who is this? how do you know this, how can you just say that and only that, if this isnt true your a crule person, every bodys on pins n needles waiting to here something, i realy hope your not just some randome person with nothin better to do with your self!!! if this is true my son , his best friend is not going to take this well at all, im worried for my son n, this chids family, the after math of this is going to be very painfull, n sad, dont think any one will ever, get over this, lord please take care of our friend!!
its was on the news i would never make anything up like that.....
queen405

Kingsport, TN

#57 Oct 5, 2008
then why did the news say he past away.
Curmudgeon

AOL

#58 Oct 5, 2008
queen405 wrote:
So far you are the only one spreading that horrible mistake. What "news" is your source?
Ryan Trent

Kingsport, TN

#59 Oct 5, 2008
Ok This Ryan Trent.. I dont like the whole fact that people are just going by what they have heard back and forth from people. So heres the deal if you dont even know the kid or been up to see him dont post stuff like hes dead and all. I know then Swiney family pretty well. I dated there daughter Sara for a while and so thats how I know him. He is not 15 or w.e., he is 17. He was weaing tan pants and a white hoodie. No he was not on drugs or playing chicken. The car didnt have on its headlights "supposively" and the car did behind. Other than what happened on the scene doesnt matter. No he is not dead! It is Oct 5th 2008 5:06pm eastern time...! i just seen the lil feller. Yes at first it was pretty scary i didnt know what was going to happen"the first night, friday" he was bleeding around the brain, broke his arm and fractured/broke his ankle and got scuffed and bruised up pretty bad as well. NOWWW he is no longer bleeding! Thanks to all the Prayers out there for him. Thank you. Yea he is on life support but that is not what is keeping him alive. He is stable. He doesnt know that your around until certain times until they move him. Then he knows. He is at the hospital in Kingsport. They said yesterday he wasnt getting any better but no worse. But now hes getting better because of the stopping from the bleeding. I do believe he will be ok and fine but it will all take time. They also said when he comes out of it.. He want be losing his learning abiltys, motor skills and exe. Only his memory from the time he got hit till to the time he recovers. So Please if your going to say something dont be on here just gossiping. And if you do... somethings wrong with you as well and I will pray for you. But for now he is doing a bit better. He is holding his own. Please Pray for Shawn Swiney and the family/friends. Need some info. CALL ME instead of making gossip. Actually i think they should delete this topics site. Because people out in this word have no heart and can care less. Ill pray for everyone that has posted all this negative and not true feed back as well as the Swineys. People get a life. Im not going to post on here anymore. heres my number " Nine 2 Three-7 two 1 one be free to call if you know him ill keep you updated. If not let the Good Lord take it in his hands. Pray. 5:24pm Oct 5th 2008.
Ryan Trent

Kingsport, TN

#60 Oct 5, 2008
queen405 wrote:
Did you watch this on Tv? Cause I would love to know what channel all this unreal news is coming froms. Wow! You need help...This is a waist of time even being on this site.
Ryan Trent

Kingsport, TN

#61 Oct 5, 2008
Oh and one more last thing to add to the gossip page. Its spelt not Sean but Shawn and not Sweeny
Its Swiney.
Shawn Foster Swiney.
peace out
God Bless

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rogersville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Blue Eyes 6 min mark 11
Danielle Bailey 1 hr ray 7
Harley g beach bum 2 hr Ketron 2
trash guys (Jul '08) 7 hr We loved his service 24
St Clair Fire Station 7 hr lol 3
Sagebrush of Rogersville 7 hr concerned food cr... 3
rays an arm-wrestler? 8 hr an old classmate 1
Danny Bledsoe arrested in the lady's murder?? 17 hr think 15
Wreck on 66 Fri Prayers 3
Murder in Mooresburg Tn Fri Yankee13 21