was at the er

Maryville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2008

i was at the er lastnight and i heard lifestar and the drs were all run around... they said they were transporting him but didnt hear where... also at the time i arrived, they were having people wait in the waiting room with arm bands until a room come open, the lady that signed me in said that there had been several wrecks and they were full!- i do hope this young man is ok- my sister has class with him and shes very upset- lets everyone pray for him and the person that hit him.. i know its hard at a time like this- but im sure that wasnt of any intentions of the person driving... as i do hope there wasnt any alcohol involved. may god be with both
Very Sad

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2008

Whats really bad is that the motorist may not have been able to see Shawn crossing the road because the school had advertised for days on end to wear black to the ball game for Homecoming. Being that it was dark outside, and the possibility of Shawn wearing black ( I was not there so I do not know for sure what he was wearing). My daughter knows him as well as a bunch of other kids I know. It is sad and heart breaking, and I can only pray that he makes a full recovery.

And about the red lights. I so agree that we need them there as well as other community members. In the past I heard that community members have plead with the county to install the traffic lights or even stop signs to no avail. I do not know how many more accidents and lives have to be taken for the county to listen to the communities need.
informed citizen

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2008

The state road has to ok red lights on all state highways of which 66 is one. Mt. Camel has tried for several years to get one on 11-W and the state won't ok it. I agreed it is needed but how do we get the state to ok this.
forum

Riverview, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2008

well first of all the county has to petition them for a red light in which they have never done, in front of cherokee.
Curmudgeon

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2008

Even if there had been a traffic signal, if someone runs across a road they run the risk of getting hit.

As for a signal, the amount of traffic doesn't justify one. It may be busy for 20 minutes in the morning and less than 20 each afternoon, only when school is in session, 180 days per year. Then there are a few sporting events and graduation but the rest of the time it would be a waste, and signals cost thousands,$20,000 +, to install.

There is no signal near Volunteer and 11W has far more traffic than highwy 66.

All that being said, I pray the young boy was not seriously inujured and makes a full recovery.
Casey

Fort Campbell, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2008

My mother is friends with the family and a close friend to his mother.

Sean is in a coma, bleeding from the ears, has a broke arm and a broke leg/ankle. He IS on life-support. The next 24 to 48 hours are the most crucial.

This is straight from HIS mother, 2 hours ago.
I just wanted to CLARIFY this, befor it was blown out of proportion.

This family needs your prayers!!!
Casey

Fort Campbell, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2008

Also, Sean was wearing a WHITE hoodie when he was hit.
go chs

Mount Juliet, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2008

Who was the driver of the car that hit them. They also need our prayers.
Diana

Indian Trail, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2008

He is my cousin and is in the hospital on life support. The next twenty four hours is still critical. I will write back as soon as I know some more. Please pray for him.
Tinkerbell

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2008

My son went to see Shawn today and my heart just broke seeing him laying there. This family and Shawn really needs for all of us to pray for them. My son knows Shawn and he is a good kid. My heart goes out to all of them.

To the Swiney family: If there's anything we can do for any of you, please post it here.
Tiffany

Holland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2008

yea i no wat happend this is my brothers wife's lil brother that it happend 2 so he is like my family and i am prayin hard 4 him and hoping he will b ok

Since: Sep 08

Kingston, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2008

his name is shawn swiney... he is atleast 16 or 17
the driver of the car was apparently speeding from wat i have heard and hit him hard enough to do quite some damage to the car. broken wind shield and all. they didnt get a pulse till they got him on life star and in the air and from wat i was last told he is still alive and all but in acoma!
do keep ur prayers going up for this kid.
i do know him but not the best!
Rose Petal

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2008

Judged:

This is a tragic accident that happen but I must tell the truth as to the real reason this happened. Sean was drinking and on some drugs. Him and his friends was placing "chicken" and dared him to run out in front of the car. I have a son in high school and I worry everyday that this could happen to my child. I pray for Sean and his family. I wish no one to lose a child. I can't even think about if this was my son. All we can do is hope this will help these teens to realize that things can and will happen to them if they interact with these kind of things like drinking and doing drugs. Things are bad at Cherokee as far as drugs. All these kid's have access to anything they want. I have spoke with staff at Cherokee and they say things are so bad right now as far as drugs. I pray for Sean and his family. May God let this child pull through and make a difference with the young lives.
Rose Petal

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2008

Just to let everyone know this info came from a police officer that was at the scene of the accident.
Wrong

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2008

Rose Petal wrote:
Just to let everyone know this info came from a police officer that was at the scene of the accident.
No police officer that was on the scene would tell you that even if it were true.
queen405

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2008

Judged:

i am sorry to say shawn did not make it...
simplycarmel

Highlands, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2008

Judged:

i was a witness of the accident it was horriable the child was trying to cross the street and the man infront of me hit him i cant seem to stop crying i was there at the scene with the child he was in bad shape i tried to get him to talk to me please keep him in your prayors and the man that was driving the car it was so dark it happened so fast at first i thought the driver was drunk because earlier before we crossed the bridge he was surving after the accidint he got out of his car said he had to use the bathroom so he went to the cherokee resturant but then came back he seemed to be ok so im thinking maybe he wasnt drunk he didnt seem that way when we were talking but the little boy was running across the road im thinking maybe he couldnt stop when he seen the car all i rember was seeing him topple of off the top of the car and landing on the cold ground it was a horriable site my prayors go out to both families
Moonlighta

Warner Robins, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2008

Curmudgeon wrote:
Even if there had been a traffic signal, if someone runs across a road they run the risk of getting hit.
As for a signal, the amount of traffic doesn't justify one. It may be busy for 20 minutes in the morning and less than 20 each afternoon, only when school is in session, 180 days per year. Then there are a few sporting events and graduation but the rest of the time it would be a waste, and signals cost thousands,$20,000 +, to install.
There is no signal near Volunteer and 11W has far more traffic than highwy 66.
All that being said, I pray the young boy was not seriously inujured and makes a full recovery.
First, please, I am not directing this personally at you. You raise good points, and I guess more than one person, apparently a lot of Hawkins County Commissioners and state representatives, basically agree with what you said, or otherwise, there would already be a traffic light there. But I don't agree.

As far as the amount of traffic/timing of traffic justifying a stop light, those signals can be put on a timer so they only operate during the busiest times, and the rest of the time they can blink yellow for caution (on the highway) and blink red (on the sideroad). That is a dangerous intersection for all concerned, at all times risky, because people will pull out in front of you there, like they misjudge the distance.

Someone posted, I'm guessing around 7:00 this morning, that Sean didn't make it.

Would it have been worth $20,000 now? How many more must die or be seriously injured at that intersection?

Someone who knows how, please start a petition for a traffic signal there, post on here where to go sign it, and let's do something, people. As for me, I will be writing my state representative tomorrow, since this is a state highway. WHY can't this can't be done? If enough people will stand up and speak out, maybe we'll get our signal light.
Just looking

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2008

queen405 wrote:
Heartbreaking, I will pray for both familys.
confused

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2008

queen405 wrote:
who is this? how do you know this, how can you just say that and only that, if this isnt true your a crule person, every bodys on pins n needles waiting to here something, i realy hope your not just some randome person with nothin better to do with your self!!! if this is true my son , his best friend is not going to take this well at all, im worried for my son n, this chids family, the after math of this is going to be very painfull, n sad, dont think any one will ever, get over this, lord please take care of our friend!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rogersville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Devils Nose Mountain (May '10) 32 min KeithGilliam 79
Rodney Bailey (Feb '14) 41 min Clyde 11
GOP and Islam VERY similar 1 hr Slick Willy 14
The Tunnel 1 hr gameswitch 3
pam moody 1 hr Clyde 4
local "EMS" being threatened? Outsiders making ... 1 hr Clyde 3
Heather Leonard 1 hr Clyde 2
The Sarah Lee Davis Slander Scandal..... Tue Just Wondering 9
•••
•••