First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Darren

United States

#1 Jul 17, 2012
Im wanting to become a truck driver but I do not have a CDL or anything. Does anyone know of a place that will pay for truck driving school closer than Knoxville or a place that will hire and train me? Thanks.
Trucker

United States

#2 Jul 17, 2012
Schneider is who I started with. As long as you stay with them for a year you pay nothing for training and they pay you while your being trained. Have to go to Charlotte,NC but they give you a hotel room and feed you 3 a day. Good company to start with but you'll probably want to go elsewhere after your year is up.
Darren

United States

#3 Jul 17, 2012
How would I go about doing so? Also do you know anywhere closer I'm short on money and trying to make a living, I just can't afford to even move out of rogersville yet, let alone take the money I do have and not pay rent to go all the way to NC.
Trucker

United States

#4 Jul 17, 2012
Family or just you?
wondering

Tullahoma, TN

#5 Jul 17, 2012
CRST offers a training program as well. Just go to. CRST.com . get the number and call. There are several others. As. well. Log into truck driving jobs.com . good luck
ann

Columbia, TN

#6 Jul 17, 2012
Try Old Dominion in White Pine
Darren

United States

#7 Jul 17, 2012
Just me for now
just sayin

Tullahoma, TN

#8 Jul 17, 2012
Most companites have routes that come through this way a lot of times, I have friends and family that drive andare home often.Depends on what you want to run.
freight hauler

Atco, NJ

#9 Jul 17, 2012
old dominon white pine tn .they will train u and pay u for it top out pay in two years better be ready to drive .65 to 80.90 k a year
Hal

Kingsport, TN

#10 Jul 18, 2012
freight hauler wrote:
old dominon white pine tn .they will train u and pay u for it top out pay in two years better be ready to drive .65 to 80.90 k a year
Yeah. I knew a guy who went to work for Old Dominion a few years back and him and his partner would go out west, usually to Long Beach California AND back in 4 days every week. Get two to 3 days off then do it all over again the next week over and over and over again. The truck ran continuously with one driving while the other slept. He liked it though and said he wished he had done it years ago.
Trucker

United States

#11 Jul 18, 2012
Darren wrote:
Just me for now
then why not just put all your stuff in storage so you don't have the expense for a rental house. If your going to be a driver you won't be home but once a week or ever other week depending on who u drive for. Just stay in the truck while your home until you get some cash saved up and on your feet.
Darren

United States

#12 Jul 18, 2012
Trucker wrote:
<quoted text>then why not just put all your stuff in storage so you don't have the expense for a rental house. If your going to be a driver you won't be home but once a week or ever other week depending on who u drive for. Just stay in the truck while your home until you get some cash saved up and on your feet.
No, I though you ment who all was wanting to do the trucking. Yes I have family at home.
Trucker

United States

#13 Jul 18, 2012
Darren wrote:
<quoted text> No, I though you ment who all was wanting to do the trucking. Yes I have family at home.
i was in the same situation and Schneider was the best thing that I could find for me. Your best bet would be to just call them and speak to a recruiter. Go to Schneider.com to get there number. Good Luck!
Truckers wife

Jefferson City, TN

#14 Jul 18, 2012
I would suggest you reconsider your career choice. It is hard life. Consider all the angles. Your wife will have so much more responsibility. She will become mommy and daddy.

Things break around the house. You wont be there. Imagine being 2000 miles away and the washer breaks and floods the house. Nothing you can do.

You miss so much with the kids. Little things like school programs, birthday parties....all because you are at the mercy of a dispatcher who is going home in 8 hours while you become someone's problem.

Your health will decline. Back problem, stress and think of your sleep situation...you are either going to be piled up in the back of a truck moving 70mph going down the road with a nearly complete stranger driving(if team) or you will be piled up in the back of a truck snoozing in a parking lot.

Its not all cream puffs and puppies like some make it out to be. It is a hard life not only for you but all your family. It is decent money(provided you dont go with owner operator) but think of all the time you have in it, not just drive time either.
Look

Ringgold, GA

#15 Jul 19, 2012
Stick to OD they run only to OD terminals. Those other guys will keep You out there looking to deliver and pick up in downtown cities. Can be very bad
od legend

United States

#16 Jul 19, 2012
they pay u the same loaded an empty .u had have to pass drug strict background check.tell truth on app. dont lie on nothin they will find out an will call everywhere u ever worked
Darren

United States

#17 Jul 19, 2012
I called OD they just want team drivers and I'm not wanting to do that right now si anymore suggestions? I've looked one up going through PAM transport and their school is in Indiana I'm looking for somewhere closer. If hired through a company can family go on the rode with you at times or no?
flying eye

Bristol, TN

#18 Jul 19, 2012
Hal wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah. I knew a guy who went to work for Old Dominion a few years back and him and his partner would go out west, usually to Long Beach California AND back in 4 days every week. Get two to 3 days off then do it all over again the next week over and over and over again. The truck ran continuously with one driving while the other slept. He liked it though and said he wished he had done it years ago.
I drive for O/D. and have for several years. Has worked out great for me and my family.
ann

Columbia, TN

#19 Jul 19, 2012
Od doesn't allow family member to go with the drivers.They will train you,you only have to have a partner for 1 year
Ken

Kingsport, TN

#20 Jul 20, 2012
flying eye wrote:
<quoted text> I drive for O/D. and have for several years. Has worked out great for me and my family.
Did you know a guy named Randy France who used to drive for them? Him and his partner both died in a truck crash in Tucson AZ a few years back. Damn good guy and I still miss him.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rogersville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump caught in lie on day one 54 min Bonnie 15
frenchie is snitching 2 hr Boobear87 2
Tax Increase Question 4 hr Bonnie 19
Stephanie and Angie 4 hr momma 2
Ashley Judd's abortions 4 hr Itsme33 5
County Employees 6 hr Common Sense 1
The final day!!! 11 hr Trump Is President 19

Rogersville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance