meme

Blountville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2008

has anyone heard anything else out about the other fork lift driver is doing or who it was that was so sad to hear something like this in the greeneville sun paper they tell who the person was that got killed with two fork lifts hit head on but nothing about the other driver or how they were doing

“You know they all....pretend”

Since: Nov 08

Flush 'em out, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2008

November 07, 2008

Man Dies At Wal-Mart Distribution Center

Published: 8:25 AM, 11/06/2008 Last updated: 9:59 AM, 11/06/2008

Source: The Greeneville Sun

A Greene County man has died following a forklift accident at the Wal-Mart Distribution Center in Midway on Wednesday morning.

The circumstances and cause of his death remain unclear.

Michael Nance, 38, of Shipley Road, in southern Greene county, was pronounced dead after being transported from the distribution center to Takoma Regional Hospital, according to Robert Sayne, director of Greene County-Greeneville Emergency Medical Services (EMS).

Sayne told The Greeneville Sun in a telephone interview on Wednesday afternoon that it is not yet clear whether the man died of natural causes before the accident occurred, or as a result of the accident.

An autopsy has been ordered, and will be performed at the James H. Quillen College of Medicine at East Tennessee State University.

Sayne said that Greene County 911 dispatched two EMS ambulances to the distribution center about 9:45 a.m. in connection with what the 911 dispatcher said was an accident involving the collision of two forklifts.

Responding with the two EMS ambulances was EMS shift supervisor Robert Pershing, Sayne said.

When the EMS units arrived, Sayne said, they found Wal-Mart employees performing CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation) on Nance, who was subsequently determined to be in full cardiac arrest.

EMS personnel continued to perform CPR on Nance "all the way to the hospital," Sayne said, but Nance was pronounced dead when he arrived at the hospital.

Sayne said that he thinks that the Tennessee Occupational Safety and Health Administration (TOSHA) will conduct an investigation.

Martha Deacon, a spokesman for the Tennessee Department of Labor and Workforce Development, said that agency’s TOHSA division sent an inspector to the Wal-Mart Distribution Center on Wednesday.

Deacon said it likely will take four to six weeks to complete the state investigation of the fatal workplace accident.

Sayne said that Wal-Mart officials told EMS personnel that the company also plans to conduct its own investigation.

A spokesman at the Wal-Mart Distribution Center confirmed on Wednesday afternoon that there had been a death but told the Sun that the center staff was not authorized to provide any information on the incident at this time.

Apparently they suspect the poor fella might have had a stroke or some other sort of problem before the wreck?

Since: Jul 08

Rogersville,TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2008

meme wrote:
has anyone heard anything else out about the other fork lift driver is doing or who it was that was so sad to hear something like this in the greeneville sun paper they tell who the person was that got killed with two fork lifts hit head on but nothing about the other driver or how they were doing
I work out there on 2nd shift and when we arrived on Wed. everyone was talking about the accident which had happened around 9:30 am or so that morning. They had the area of the accident taped of with yellow tape with the two fork lifts sitting there and the guys shoe laying in floor.
I did not actually know either of the two involved but I did know who they both were.
Evidently they did not crash head on while both drivers were in motion though. The guy who got killed was either off his Fork truck for some reason doing something and when the other guy came along he got crushed between the two lifts. The other story is that the other guy who might have hit him said that he did not hit him but looked over while they were both near each other and saw him laying in the floor. I suppose that is why there is going to be an autopsy done. OSHA came in that evening and the Warehouse manager, the OSHA people and a few other were over where it happened taking pictures of the area etc. On Thursday they had the yellow tape down,both the lifts and the shoe was gone and you could go back into the area where it happened.
Guess they just have to see what the cause of death really was until anyone finds out more.
AWACS

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2008

I work at a DC in Georgia. We want to know exactly what happened. What was the attitude of the 2 RR's involved? Were the RR drivers inside their respective lifts, 5 point stance proper? Was the deceased driver outside his RR? Of course, Bentonville is going do it's best to never let the details of this horrific accident out, but it's better that we all know.

Rogersville,TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2008

AWACS wrote:
I work at a DC in Georgia. We want to know exactly what happened. What was the attitude of the 2 RR's involved? Were the RR drivers inside their respective lifts, 5 point stance proper? Was the deceased driver outside his RR? Of course, Bentonville is going do it's best to never let the details of this horrific accident out, but it's better that we all know.
The incident happened in an aisle between freight racks and I'm not sure that anyone other than the two lift drivers involved saw what happened. Word is that the lift driver who was killed was not on his lift at the time of the accident though.
While I agree with you that the home office in Bentonville wants to keep it all as quite as possible,OSHA was there that night taking pictures and video of the scene and the one OSHA guy went around and questioned some of the RSR drivers on 2nd about procedures etc. They definitely were not slow about getting there.

What DC in GA. do you work at? Who is your warehouse manager? Reason I ask is that all three of our assistant warehouse managers that have held that position at 6039 since it was built 12 or so years ago, have gone on to be warehouse manager at newly built DC's around the country and one that I know of was in GA.
AWACS

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2008

You mean, an aisle, midway, or around an endcap? What were the 2 RR drivers doing at the time. Putaways, Mod. Reps. What? I and my fellow A2 associates are very much interested in this accident. I don't name persons or DC's. Nor should you. We just want to know what happened.

Rogersville,TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2008

AWACS wrote:
You mean, an aisle, midway, or around an endcap? What were the 2 RR drivers doing at the time. Putaways, Mod. Reps. What? I and my fellow A2 associates are very much interested in this accident. I don't name persons or DC's. Nor should you. We just want to know what happened.
It was midway down an aisle between two racks that both sides held pallets of Dog food. Other than this and what I have already posted this is all I know about it. They said it happened around 10 am and I did not get to work till 4pm that particular day so about 6 hours had already elapsed and most of the A1 people had left.

Haven't heard anything else about it since it happened. The company is not going to give day by day updates to anyone and OSHA will most likely take awhile till they make any announcements.

As far as saying what DC it happened in 6039,this is no big state secret now is it?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

81 Users are viewing the Rogersville Forum right now

Search the Rogersville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Don't pee on elderly disabled folks 43 min bam bam 9
Ross or Raines For Sessions Court Judge 44 min I have made my choice 83
need new mugshots 1 hr Willy 3
Dude in silver 3rd gen cummins that sits at wal... 1 hr No it aint 7
Why did the bowling alley close down 2 hr former customer 4
AlumniFootball 2 hr Question 5
$4.5 Million Hawkins County Schools Deficit 3 hr Over Home 67
just wanted to say I love you 4 hr Sleepless in Surgoinsvill 10
Seth Ewing embezzlement 5 hr The Spelling Police 58