Could I get Tenncare if
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Geewhiz

United States

#1 Oct 3, 2012
My boyfriend and I recently moved in together. We have a child together. He works for a company who has insurance provided. Our child can be added to the insurance but I can not since we are not married. I am wondering if I could get tenncare and if my child could also get it maybe as aa secondary insurance. I know it depends on income so could someone tell me what is making to much to not be on tenncare. Or if anyone else has had similar experiences do tell. I am also not worried about the food stamps just the insurance, and please if your going ti be rude or say something about how you hate welfare people be ause they are lazy ect just dont bother wasting your time typing . Thanks and God bless.
Maybe

Morristown, TN

#2 Oct 4, 2012
The best thing to do is either go to DHS office and apply or apply online on their website www.tn.gov . Now that you are living with your boyfriend, you will have to include his income. But, on the website it gives you a baseline as to how much a family of three can make. You said you were worried about foodstamps? Do you get them now, and are afraid they will be taken? If you still fall within a certain income range you may still get them, just not as much, im guessing you got them before you moved in? Anyway, try looking at the website. You will at least have a better idea of what to expect. Good Luck! I hope things work out for you.
Maybe

Morristown, TN

#3 Oct 4, 2012
Sorry! I should have read the post better! You said you are NOT worried about food stamps, just insurance. Again, Good Luck!
spike

United States

#4 Oct 4, 2012
Geewhiz wrote:
My boyfriend and I recently moved in together. We have a child together. He works for a company who has insurance provided. Our child can be added to the insurance but I can not since we are not married. I am wondering if I could get tenncare and if my child could also get it maybe as aa secondary insurance. I know it depends on income so could someone tell me what is making to much to not be on tenncare. Or if anyone else has had similar experiences do tell. I am also not worried about the food stamps just the insurance, and please if your going ti be rude or say something about how you hate welfare people be ause they are lazy ect just dont bother wasting your time typing . Thanks and God bless.
Why are you not married to the babys father and not shacking up? That way you and the baby would be on dads insurance,and the tax payers wouldn't be raising another bastard.
rogersville

Union City, TN

#5 Oct 4, 2012
if you dont want somebody to call you out then why be dumb and ask a question on topix?since i will be paying for your ass o atand apparently for your kid to go to the dr then i have every right to say anything i want.you souldnt be worrying aboutdam ten care if your kid already has insuance on the fathers insurance.to me trying to get tencare when you already have health insurance is friggin being greedy as hell.theres folks who cant even get ten care cause they make to much(married cpl 59 years old 1 person works makes 22,000 a year and the state says they make too much to get ten care)and they dont offer insurance at the job.then heres your ass whos child has insurance and your wanting ten care also.if you want insurance then get a job quit trying to mooch free insurance off the rest of us who get off our ass and work.thats what is wrong with young people today they want everything free and handed to them and being greedy as hell.MY CHILD CAN GET INSURANCE THROUGH HIS FATHER AT HIS JOB BUT SCREW THAT WHY SHOULD HE HAVE TO PAY FOR THAT WHEN I CAN JUST GET WELFARE AND MAKE EVERYBODY ELSE PAY FOR MY KIDS DR VISITS FOR FREE no wonder me and everybody else has to keep working we have to keep suppoting dadbeats like you .if you where sngle and disabled and neded tenare i have ZERO problem but when you want tencare to be a secondary payer and want it for yourself when you do not work then it makes me wanna vomitdo like everyody else pay for your health insurance and not be a burden on the working people
Shut up

Kansas City, MO

#6 Oct 4, 2012
Shut up, prick. Not everyone thinks you have to sign a contract promising to be with someone forever in order to actually do so. I've been "shacked up" for ten years, have two kids, and probably make more money myself than a lot of married couples make combined so nobody is paying anything for my kids. Why on earth would you tell someone that they should get married just to get insurance? That right there is the very reason so many people end up divorced bc they get married for the wrong reasons. Then you wanna talk shit about people who are "shacked up" even if their relationship has lasted twice what most married couples has.
If anything why don't you encourage her to get a job and pay for her own insurance? What's with this caveman mentality that if a woman needs insurance or anything that requires money then they must get married! Besides, Rogersville is full of a bunch of deadbeat rednecks who won't even work. They think it's the "woman's job" to cook and clean...even if the food and house is paid for by the government! It was the woman's job to cook and clean when the mans job was to work and pay for everything.
To the girl who posted, the most important thing is that your kid has insurance. I'm assuming you are young and don't have many health problems if youre bearing children. You can go to a clinic when you get sick and pay cash or if you need to see a doctor regularly then get a job and get insurance. Go back to school. Do something other than lay on the couch and let your child grow up watching you depend on a man and/or the government. You're not a "stay at home mom" unless you're rich. If you're not rich and you call yourself a stay at home mom then you're really just unemployed and lazy.
On the other hand

Jonesborough, TN

#7 Oct 4, 2012
spike wrote:
<quoted text>Why are you not married to the babys father and not shacking up? That way you and the baby would be on dads insurance,and the tax payers wouldn't be raising another bastard.
The employer sponsored healthcare models is a crock, and always has been. You wanna know why the wealth gap is widening? Its because the poor and middle class have to work to enrich the elites just to attain insurance coverage to fight back illness. The rich guy doesn't have to work at all to attain the same benefit. The current employer sponsored system is set up so that the poor and middle class "ants" need to slave away building the wealth of others just to survive. No wonder people are bailing and running to government programs. No wonder that EVERY OTHER industrialized nation ON THE PLANET rejects insurance schemes based upon kissing your bosses ass.
an opinion

Morristown, TN

#8 Oct 4, 2012
Honey, you got left out in the cold when you had a baby with a guy who wouldn't marry you. Don't let that happen to yourself again. Do the right thing and let the "boy" who fathered your child pay for his child's insurance. Then try to get on TennCare for yourself.
Jesus had a shoe shiner

Jonesborough, TN

#9 Oct 4, 2012
an opinion wrote:
Honey, you got left out in the cold when you had a baby with a guy who wouldn't marry you. Don't let that happen to yourself again.
Spoken like Jesus himself! Thank heavens we are a 'Christian Nation'.
Geewhiz

United States

#10 Oct 4, 2012
Man I love how you all judge everything and yet don't know the whole story. "An option" he is not a boy he has asked me to marry him multiple times and I've agreed to it but I want to make sure of one thing first and I don't have to tell you all what that is. Second there's a reason I don't have a job there's a reason I can't have one! Third I am hoping to start college next year. And to "rogersville" as many spelling errors as you have I'm sure you don't get paid to much heck your probably on welfare yourself! And the whole thing about the secondary insurance I know that if I were to have tenncare my sson would get it to therefore it would be his secondary insurance another thing is my boyfriend wont be eligible for that insurance on any of us for another four months because of the policy with his company. Anyway thanks to like the first comment but everyone else just proves ignorance
ged

Nashville, TN

#11 Oct 4, 2012
The only way you will get accurate information is by going to the office. These people will all just say their paying for you blah blah blah, but most of them recieve help too, so don't take it to heart. I was told you have to already have $2000 in medical bills (debt) to qualify for tenncare unless you're under 18, or in school full-time. Like I said though, just go to the office because every situation is different and you never know how they may be able to help you.

To all the other commentors: Her boyfriend works. Therefore, he pays taxes. Sounds to me like he is supporting his own child, so wuit claiming that you are raising this bastard child, like you go up to their door with bags of groceries and cash for the bills. You don't!! You pay payroll taxes just like the rest of America. Get the F**K over it!!! This will really burn you up: I had a job and still got food stamps and insurance and I was single! ooooh what are you gonna do about it??? The programs are there to help people. Just because someone needs help, does not mean that they do not work. Get off your high horse we are in rogersville, where more than half of the residents recieve some type of assistance, even if it's jsut free lunches. Where do you think that money comes from??
Geewhiz

United States

#12 Oct 4, 2012
ged wrote:
The only way you will get accurate information is by going to the office. These people will all just say their paying for you blah blah blah, but most of them recieve help too, so don't take it to heart. I was told you have to already have $2000 in medical bills (debt) to qualify for tenncare unless you're under 18, or in school full-time. Like I said though, just go to the office because every situation is different and you never know how they may be able to help you.
To all the other commentors: Her boyfriend works. Therefore, he pays taxes. Sounds to me like he is supporting his own child, so wuit claiming that you are raising this bastard child, like you go up to their door with bags of groceries and cash for the bills. You don't!! You pay payroll taxes just like the rest of America. Get the F**K over it!!! This will really burn you up: I had a job and still got food stamps and insurance and I was single! ooooh what are you gonna do about it??? The programs are there to help people. Just because someone needs help, does not mean that they do not work. Get off your high horse we are in rogersville, where more than half of the residents recieve some type of assistance, even if it's jsut free lunches. Where do you think that money comes from??
thank you.
an opinion

Morristown, TN

#13 Oct 4, 2012
Geewhiz wrote:
Man I love how you all judge everything and yet don't know the whole story. "An option" he is not a boy he has asked me to marry him multiple times and I've agreed to it but I want to make sure of one thing first and I don't have to tell you all what that is. Second there's a reason I don't have a job there's a reason I can't have one! Third I am hoping to start college next year. And to "rogersville" as many spelling errors as you have I'm sure you don't get paid to much heck your probably on welfare yourself! And the whole thing about the secondary insurance I know that if I were to have tenncare my sson would get it to therefore it would be his secondary insurance another thing is my boyfriend wont be eligible for that insurance on any of us for another four months because of the policy with his company. Anyway thanks to like the first comment but everyone else just proves ignorance
Any male who won't support his child is a boy. Don't you think it's a little crazy to have a baby with someone you aren't sure is marriage material?
ged

Nashville, TN

#14 Oct 4, 2012
Your welcome. These people act like they are so so perfect and are Stepford Wives when, in reality, if you look up the numbers in Hawkins County, it's pretty clear that some of these people whining about people getting welfare are receiving some type of aid as well. It's almost like thier pulling a Mitt Romney with his 47% comment, yet his parents were on welfare. The only difference is, it's not only their parents, but themselves also. Best of Luck. I hope you have some type of transportation so you can actually get there. I know guys car pull to work a lot, so I hope you have a way.
Incentives

Chatsworth, GA

#15 Oct 4, 2012
"Now that you are living with your boyfriend, you will have to include his income."

Are you sure that is true? I have never heard of that. One of the big financial advantages of not getting married is qualifying for various aid programs, it's been pointed out in political debates that aid sometimes encourages people to stay unwed mothers. Also older people on social security often can't get married because when they do the woman loses her widow benefits, which drives the couple more into poverty.
The truth

Kansas City, MO

#16 Oct 4, 2012
Incentives,

The truth is that everyone getting assistance is supposed to report everyone who is living with them and their income.

It's also true that anyone can lie whether they are married or not. Married people will lie and say they are separated if being married means they'll lose insurance. Single people will live with their boyfriends or girlfriends and just not tell. Nobody goes to their houses to see who is there so they basically have to take their word for it.

I've seen a lot personally and I've heard a lot from friends who work in the system. Don't assume that just bc a couple is married that they aren't getting assistance and don't assume that the girl living with her boyfriend is getting it.
Susanne

Nashville, TN

#17 Oct 11, 2012
Hi Geewhiz-

The answer is yes, TennCare can act as a secondary insurance. The only way to find out if you and/or your child are eligible is to apply. You can apply on-line here: https://fabenefits.dhs.tn.gov/vip/website/sig...

You can find your DHS office here: http://www.tn.gov/humanserv/st_map.html

If you have questions, you can call the Tennessee Justice Center at 1-877-608-1009.

Good luck!
Yo Mama Obama

Ellenboro, NC

#18 Oct 11, 2012
Don't you worry your little head I'm here to take care of you. Obamacare forces states to expand medicaid(tenncare)or I will cut out all their medicaid funding. You just go ahead and sign up for every government handout you can because the government can't run out of money.

Praise Allah the only true god(read my ring)
jack meoff

Clarksville, TN

#19 Oct 13, 2012
ry etti offyour ass and go to work.
BEwolf

Gallatin, TN

#20 Nov 30, 2012
Geewhiz wrote:
Ummmm honey... you are criticizing someone for not knowing how to spell.... you're guilty of the same thing.
you wrote: "don't get paid to much heck your probably " to should be too, and ;your should be you're. Let's not call the kettle black.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rogersville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jarred courtney 32 min pudding tame 3
What's up with our Juvenile Judges 1 hr Hmmmm 39
Sam Dong Supervision lol 2 hr Boss Man 25
Lieing Leon arnold 4 hr Trouble 4
Broken 16 hr Father Time 24
Wreck this morning 16 hr Jamie 24
The judge 16 hr Jamie 14

Rogersville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance