yawn

United States

#21 Apr 21, 2012
to overit

Very articulate post Just Watch The Video!
thetruthisoutthe re

Nashville, TN

#22 Apr 21, 2012
@overit: John McPheron had a heart cath the morning of the business meeting to which you are referring. Yes, he had stents placed, but that normally requires about 2-3 days of rest before someone can go back to work, not the 3 week medical leave that he took. I don't really consider that heart surgery in the sense you are making it out to be.
The church couldn't run their business meetings correctly because it was a conflict of interest that McPheron lead the proceedings at that point, especially the night he had his son put in as youth minister even though the deacons disagreed. As soon as someone else stepped in to moderate who knew Roberts' Rules of Order, meetings ran just fine.
The community knew about this because members like you ran your mouth and complained about how horrible the church is. As for the video? Higher Ground Baptist Church made that available on the internet, completely unaware of the deception that had occurred. No member oF PBC was sitting in the congregation taping it. Members of both churches who were victims of their deception by omission of the truth need to know what really happened.
Every former pastor in question had enough about him to resign of his own accord, regardless of the circumstances. John would only resign when he was sure the deal was lucrative enough for him. In fact, the moderator could not read his resignation letter until it had been voted on that he receive over $13,000, a stay in the parsonage until June 30th, AND utilities. He was mad that he didn't receive reimbursement for his mileage, even in this very generous deal!
I pray that you are able to find a church that meets your high expectations and never has any problems. From what I hear, Persia is already doing much better, minus this major setback. I also pray that you are never swindled by someone like John McPheron the way PBC and HG were. But, I guess you'd just take up for the person who swindled you like you are the McPherons.
Wondering

Kingsport, TN

#23 Apr 21, 2012
Wow, many different perspectives on this. Well, heart surgery is not something a person can fake. It sounds like many of the stories are based on truth, but different people have different portions of the story, and depending on what portion they saw first drives what they conclude from the stories.

For example, we have both that he resigned for health reasons, and that he was forced to resign because of "self evident" reasons, which I'm not sure what they are since it was only after the possibly forced resignation that the situation at the other church occurred. Some feel he resigned for health reasons and the sympathetic church gave him a generous severance package. Now there is a claim that he negotiated the severance just before deciding to quit. But that doesn't make sense since he resigned for health reasons, as evidenced by the fact he had heart surgery. Perhaps it is meant that after being asked to resign as part of those negotiations a severance package was negotiated. There is nothing wrong with that especially for someone who has worked without complaints for 10 years.

If he was really asked to resign it's not been made clear at all why that was so. Saying it was because he greedily wanted $5000 from the other church doesn't make sense. Nor does it make sense to say it was because he wanted 3 months severance since that's the money he would have made if he was still working there, and it would have continued along. The alleged resignation request would have to be about some previous incident to his being asked to resign to make sense, not things that happened after they asked him, as is being alleged.
overit

Sevierville, TN

#24 Apr 21, 2012
seriously? i would be so afraid if I were you trying to downplay a heart surgery! no if people weren't sending out the video and running their mouths taking people out to eat trying to pursade oyhers to be against John is sickining! i hopr you all get treated the exact way you have treated him! you know what they say about carma! John and his family is a great family and for those who talk the way they do about them and treat them like that bless your hearts! since you obviously have so many reasons why he is an awrful person please tell me why you all have treated him the way you have. it's funny no one ever seems to have a good reason. everything is pedy! like i said you need to have some heart to hearts with God!
stop

Sevierville, TN

#25 Apr 21, 2012
I feel bad for the family! they need our prayers
Old Redneck

Kingsport, TN

#26 Apr 21, 2012
Bulls Eye wrote:
<quoted text>
What was Bobby, Billy, Rip, and John fired for?
I don't know about the first three but I heard at least one deacons wife walked out before the vote to have the deacons ask John to resign because there was no discussion on why he would be ask to resign. Must be a secret but I'm like you I would sure like to know.
Old Redneck

Kingsport, TN

#27 Apr 21, 2012
Wondering wrote:
Wow, many different perspectives on this. Well, heart surgery is not something a person can fake. It sounds like many of the stories are based on truth, but different people have different portions of the story, and depending on what portion they saw first drives what they conclude from the stories.
For example, we have both that he resigned for health reasons, and that he was forced to resign because of "self evident" reasons, which I'm not sure what they are since it was only after the possibly forced resignation that the situation at the other church occurred. Some feel he resigned for health reasons and the sympathetic church gave him a generous severance package. Now there is a claim that he negotiated the severance just before deciding to quit. But that doesn't make sense since he resigned for health reasons, as evidenced by the fact he had heart surgery. Perhaps it is meant that after being asked to resign as part of those negotiations a severance package was negotiated. There is nothing wrong with that especially for someone who has worked without complaints for 10 years.
If he was really asked to resign it's not been made clear at all why that was so. Saying it was because he greedily wanted $5000 from the other church doesn't make sense. Nor does it make sense to say it was because he wanted 3 months severance since that's the money he would have made if he was still working there, and it would have continued along. The alleged resignation request would have to be about some previous incident to his being asked to resign to make sense, not things that happened after they asked him, as is being alleged.
I don't believe he resigned for health reasons. I think they have no answer why they forced him to retire and they are fishing for one.
truth

United States

#28 Apr 21, 2012
Wonder if Dauphin Way Baptist Church, Mobile, Alabama,(Dooley's Chuch), also took a love offering for John McPheron?
Pastor Tom

Kingsport, TN

#29 Apr 21, 2012
overit wrote:
i hopr you all get treated the exact way you have treated him! you know what they say about carma! John and his family is a great family and for those who talk the way they do about them and treat them like that bless your hearts!
I have a few comments.

First, metaphysical karma is a concept from Hinduism and Buddhism. It is also known as the rule of 3 in Wicca (witchcraft). These all are pagan philosophies which are no more compatible with Biblical Christianity than horoscopes, fortune tellers and divination is.

I have no problem with folks that believe in it, just be aware that this belief is not compatible with a belief in Christianity.

In Jesus' teachings there is the Golden Rule, which Jesus promoted and advocated, but he was not the first to speak about it. This is the idea that you should treat others the way you wish to be treated. He did not say that as a result of respecting others they would respect you though. Or that not respecting would cause an invisible supernatural force called Karma to bring you your just deserts. In fact, you were advised that you would be HATED for his sake, and that you should not seek revenge for wrongs done to you, but turn the other cheek and forgive others who have wronged you not 7 times but 7 times 70 (490 times).

Second, I want to say that this practice of saying "bless your hearts" and "I will pray for you" to people as a way of telling them to go screw themselves has got to stop. It is blasphemous, unchristian, hateful and hypocritical. It reflects extremely badly on every so-called christian who uses this tactic.
older redneck

United States

#30 Apr 21, 2012
the people voted. each one can answer as to why they voted yes or no. I voted for him to leave because he had proved to me he was a liar and a fraud. Reason enough for me.
JACK

Johnson City, TN

#31 Apr 21, 2012
Pastor Tom wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a few comments.
First, metaphysical karma is a concept from Hinduism and Buddhism. It is also known as the rule of 3 in Wicca (witchcraft). These all are pagan philosophies which are no more compatible with Biblical Christianity than horoscopes, fortune tellers and divination is.
I have no problem with folks that believe in it, just be aware that this belief is not compatible with a belief in Christianity.
In Jesus' teachings there is the Golden Rule, which Jesus promoted and advocated, but he was not the first to speak about it. This is the idea that you should treat others the way you wish to be treated. He did not say that as a result of respecting others they would respect you though. Or that not respecting would cause an invisible supernatural force called Karma to bring you your just deserts. In fact, you were advised that you would be HATED for his sake, and that you should not seek revenge for wrongs done to you, but turn the other cheek and forgive others who have wronged you not 7 times but 7 times 70 (490 times).
Second, I want to say that this practice of saying "bless your hearts" and "I will pray for you" to people as a way of telling them to go screw themselves has got to stop. It is blasphemous, unchristian, hateful and hypocritical. It reflects extremely badly on every so-called christian who uses this tactic.
WHAT ROCK DID YOU JUST CRAWL OUT FROM UNDER?
HUMMM

Dandridge, TN

#32 Apr 21, 2012
older redneck wrote:
the people voted. each one can answer as to why they voted yes or no. I voted for him to leave because he had proved to me he was a liar and a fraud. Reason enough for me.
just saying ,some of the things on here is why some people ,like me dont go to church to talk to god and pray just to be seen .you are watched all the time anyway.BY HIM. YOU CAN PRAY AND TALK TO HIM ANYWHERE.
Teresa Banks

Kingsport, TN

#33 Apr 22, 2012
Goodytwoshoes wrote:
Well Teresa I am a member of Persia and I am there every Sunday. I can't remember the last time you were there.
well if you must know i have been going to Harold Walkers church in morristown.
O Rly

Kingsport, TN

#34 Apr 22, 2012
Teresa Banks wrote:
<quoted text> well if you must know i have been going to Harold Walkers church in morristown.
How long have you not been going to Persia?
Teresa Banks

Kingsport, TN

#35 Apr 23, 2012
April 1 was the last time i attented the next saturday i heard about this at Amis Mill we meet some other church member for supper and we was told then what had happen. it was a total shock to us.
info

Kingsport, TN

#36 Apr 23, 2012
I am not a member of Persia Baptist but am a Baptist and I will say that among the Christian community Persia does have the reputation for getting rid of pastors. Maybe it isn't true, but it's what people think.
yep

Moselle, MS

#37 Apr 23, 2012
A heart cath is not surgery, it's usually an outpatient procedure, unless there are complications. On the other hand, Phil Hoskins should have never brought up another church's problems in his big church. Wrong.
got to be kidding

United States

#38 Apr 23, 2012
hoskins information source Adam Dooley signed on to a declaration saying that Southern Baptist Convention was not doing enough about global warming.

no joke This preacher has really got his priorities in order.
current member

Washington, DC

#39 Apr 23, 2012
The church is doing great. People come on here and act like its all to pieces. I'm sorry to disappoint you all whom want to see Persia Church crumble...our numbers in our children's program is doubled, people are getting saved, visitors are coming, and we have even had people to join! Just because we had a few bad apples leave we worry not because now we don't have those bad apples to hinder the rest! I'd rather lose these bad apples and gain those who serve the lord! We welcome you all out and would love to have you! I promise you won't be disappointed: the spirit is there, the love is there, and our Choir has NEVER sounded more beautiful and whole as it does now! Thank you God for my Awesome Church! God is so good!
Wow

Johnson City, TN

#40 Apr 24, 2012
current member wrote:
The church is doing great. People come on here and act like its all to pieces. I'm sorry to disappoint you all whom want to see Persia Church crumble...our numbers in our children's program is doubled, people are getting saved, visitors are coming, and we have even had people to join! Just because we had a few bad apples leave we worry not because now we don't have those bad apples to hinder the rest! I'd rather lose these bad apples and gain those who serve the lord! We welcome you all out and would love to have you! I promise you won't be disappointed: the spirit is there, the love is there, and our Choir has NEVER sounded more beautiful and whole as it does now! Thank you God for my Awesome Church! God is so good!
Wow, that hurts. I am one of the "bad apples" who left. I actually voted for the pastor to leave because I felt it was necessary. I don't consider myself a "bad apple", however.I was a worker in the church, and was there on Sunday morning, Sunday night and Wednesday night, and I love the Lord and am willing to serve Him wherever He asks me to. I left because I was hurt and confused and discouraged, and my family didn't want to go to church anymore because of the tension in the church at the time. I am very thankful things are going well at Persia, but please don't assume that the ones that left were the "bad apples". Sometimes we have to go where God leads, and maybe he led some people to other places for a reason.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rogersville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bengazi 2 hr Ed Jucator 15
Melinda Ferry Rd. 2 hr JimBob 8
10 reasons to be Thankful Obama is our president 2 hr Calhoun 4
Billy Helton and Amanda Morelock and his ROXIES 3 hr report it 1
middle tn broadband 5 hr wondering 2 1
out laws movin a {club M,C, to east Tenn. are ... (Aug '10) 8 hr Slugfest 56
Hale Springs going downhill 9 hr happy 25
Rogersville Dating
Find my Match

Rogersville People Search