Persia Church & pastor Hoskins

Posted in the Rogersville Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Bradford

Johnson City, TN

#1 Apr 20, 2012
Pastor Hoskins has said things about Persia Church that were not true. He made the commit that the church has a history of "doing this". Pastor Mcpheron has been at Persia for 10 years. What history was he speaking of? The Mcpheron's may be good people, but how could they stand there while pastor Hoskins said all the bad things about the people of Persia Church and not speak up. They knew they had not been thrown out. Churches change pastors all the time, and few get the good deal of a severance package, free place to live for 3 months with utilities paid that they were given. I don't go to Persia Church, but I know people that do and I think a smooth transaction would have taken place if pastor Hoskins had stayed out of it. He has caused a lot of hurt. Shame on you Phil Hoskins! Are you man enough to go to "HAWKINS COUNTY" and apologize
to the Persia Baptist Church Family for the hurt & damage you have caused them?---I think Not---
Old Redneck

Kingsport, TN

#2 Apr 20, 2012
lol, Sounds like that church and its members are a joke. For sure to steer clear of it.
Historian

Columbia, TN

#3 Apr 20, 2012
I can't speak to the current situation, but the previous pastor at Persia was voted out by the board of deacons about 10 years ago. He was a truly excellent pastor, one of the best pastors ever to serve anywhere here in Hawkins County. I am fully aware of all the reasons why he was driven out and the publicly claimed reasons as well. Without getting into details, in that situation the pastor was without fault in the matter and it was an issues ranging from anger to jealousy to shame by certain church members who were in positions of influence.

From reading the posts here, it sounds like the current situation might be different, but I have no idea why the current pastor was driven out as I no longer am a member at Persia.
Old Redneck

Kingsport, TN

#4 Apr 20, 2012
You speak the truth. I believe there was another that was dismissed also. A total of three. Do I see a pattern? Be glad you are not a member of that PLACE!
truth

United States

#5 Apr 20, 2012
Historian has a slight amount of truth in its post.
The Pastor before McPheron was an excellent PASTOR,
and minister, but he had some personal problems.
He went to a mega-church, did well there until the
problems he had at Persia recurred, only in a more
drastic way. He was immediately dismissed by the deacons and the church, sought counseling, and is now very successfully serving another church. He
recognized his problem, sought help, and is being blessed by God, unlike McPheron.
as with most pastors

Knoxville, TN

#6 Apr 20, 2012
i am sure he had relations with women at the center...but god is great just move and ask for forgiveness..god what a racket...back in the day before seperation of church and state..or staKE they burned the trash...but wait we want church to rule the state...think i will just move on...not sure if SA or Down under...at near 70 doubt it matters but die with dignity.
Historian

Columbia, TN

#7 Apr 20, 2012
Actually, I am extremely surprised to hear this. I was very close when all this happened and present at key events and never heard anything of this nature mentioned. I can't say whether it is correct or not, I will make enquiries out of my own curiosity with friends and family who have kept up since then.

I did not know that he was no longer at that big church in Knoxville. I do know that his leaving seemed to work out well for him and really gave him a chance to shine and make a difference in a larger community. Because of this, I didn't see the issue as being one worth worrying about, it worked out well for everyone. He went on to learn new things and Persia got a pastor that many people felt more comfortable with. To oversimplify the situation, the previous pastor's extremely deep level of education, and activism in the church was perceived by a few people as being "uppity". Some felt for certain reasons he and his wife were unappreciative of what the community had to offer, which was really not the case and was a misunderstanding on their part.

But the details of that are not important here, the main point I was making is that Pastor Hoskins alleged comment that Persia has a history of "doing this" likely referred to the circumstances regarding the dismissal of the previous pastor. His comments about severance and such possibly may have been assumptions he made and had more to do with the previous situation than the current one.
Historian

Columbia, TN

#8 Apr 20, 2012
Also I'd like to make clear since I failed to do so previously that as far as I know Persia is a good church. I know good people who go there, I know a scoundrel or two as well. Just like most churches. The situation 10 years ago I don't see as part of some huge pattern, it certainly sounds like the current situation is quite different. It sounds like Pastor Hoskins assumed it was a pattern but was mistaken and has since corrected himself.
Old Redneck

Kingsport, TN

#9 Apr 21, 2012
Some times one just has to admit when he is wrong and I guess it is my time. I was wrong about this being three preachers that have been ran off from this PLACE, fact is it's four, BOBBY TUCKER. BILLY RAY. RIP,and now JOHN . Still looks like apttern as Hoskins was alledged to have said.
justaperson

United States

#10 Apr 21, 2012
Just because a church "lets go" of a pastor, doesn't mean all of the people in the church are bad people. I know some of the circumstances of why the mentioned guys were let go, and to me, seemed like legitimate reasons, at least for 3 of them. I think maybe the church just had some bad luck hiring the right pastor, and as a result, it has given them a bad name because they have had to let go of so many pastors. God won't bless a church if it isn't been led by a Godly pastor. There are some really good people there, however, people who have stayed through all these hard times, to try to keep the church going. I don't know exactly why John was let go, Id love to know the truth, it seems to be a big secret within the church. But, it now seems to me that it was the right thing to do, and hopefully that little church can begin to heal (again).
very curious

Morristown, TN

#11 Apr 21, 2012
So a local church has fired four pastors in about 30 years and no one sees this as a problem within the church? And are the same people leading the charge to get rid of each pastor?
Bulls Eye

United States

#12 Apr 21, 2012
Old Redneck wrote:
Some times one just has to admit when he is wrong and I guess it is my time. I was wrong about this being three preachers that have been ran off from this PLACE, fact is it's four, BOBBY TUCKER. BILLY RAY. RIP,and now JOHN . Still looks like apttern as Hoskins was alledged to have said.
What was Bobby, Billy, Rip, and John fired for?
Friend

Knoxville, TN

#13 Apr 21, 2012
I know that Pastor John has had some very bad problems with his heart. Just don't bring this man down before you know the facts.
Teresa Banks

Lenoir City, TN

#14 Apr 21, 2012
John and Teresa are good people and will be sadly missed. as for me and my family we are looking for a new church and have been for sometime now,
Goodytwoshoes

Kingsport, TN

#15 Apr 21, 2012
Well Teresa I am a member of Persia and I am there every Sunday. I can't remember the last time you were there.
lol

Morristown, TN

#16 Apr 21, 2012
teresa just tryin to stir as she does with anything.
Pastor Tom

Columbia, TN

#17 Apr 21, 2012
I don't know what's going on out there, but the last two posts say a lot about the place don't they.
was there

United States

#18 Apr 21, 2012
Billy left and came back to the church later to apologize for his actions
Rip left because he felt he was called to another church
Bobby left after he got another job under accusations of being too friendly with teenage girls
at the next church Bobby was fired for being more than friendly with young girls
John resigned after he negotiated his severance package after the church body voted to instruct the deacons to ask for his resignation reason for this have become self evident
was there

United States

#19 Apr 21, 2012
some other interesting notes
Dickerson left after he realized he wasn't called to preach
Drake left because he molested a small boy he admitted it that was about 40 years ago

This church has over 100 years of history but that has nothing to do with the fact that John Mcpheron worships money over everything else. the evidence speaks for itself.
overit

Lawrenceburg, TN

#20 Apr 21, 2012
this something is ignorant! I've been a member there for sometime now ans when my family and I joined there we thought it was a kind hearted church but it is the exact opposite! The members there are evil! John has just had heart surgery the morning of the business meeting and these so called Christians acted they way they did. It is absolutely ridiculous! I've lost so much respect for people in that cube! First of all the way these "Christians" acted in the business meetings are disgusting! Acting the way you all did in the house of God like you all did I would be terrified for judgment day' your day is coming and I hope it bites you a million times harder! And going out in our community running those mouths with lies and evil you should be ashamed! You have ruined your testimony and your churches! And yes Persia is known for getting rid of churches and second of all the second told john one thing and the cube h voted on another without johns knowledge get your facts straight! The community should know nothing of this! It should stay in the church. And you all are adults if you have a problem with someone have the guts to talk to that person not behind their backs, are you all still in middle school, I mean really? Grow ul! You all need to get to some church and get on your knees and part! thing and threesomes was in shock visibly shaking and crying you have no idea how you will react to a situations till it happens to you! And sending around that video and posting that mess on facebook is the most childish thing I've ever heard! No one in that church NAS a legit reason to be saying and doing the things you are! You are nothing but a mob! You should be ashamed to show hour faces in this town how you treated that family! All I can say is b,ess hour hearts, you're in my prayers and I hope you all get right with God!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rogersville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Help with School Supplies? (Jul '12) 6 hr fyi 86
Chamber of Commerce 8 hr Atticus Finch 17
Trump is President 7 plus more years 8 hr Atticus Finch 6
Lisa Andies 12 hr Private investigator 2
Teresa Afford (Jul '13) 15 hr fyi 4
Isaac Dean 18 hr BLESS YOU 1
East Tennessee Concrete Sun Dr Spek Sr 3

Rogersville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance