County Schools fined $166,000 for IRS...

County Schools fined $166,000 for IRS screwup

Posted in the Rogersville Forum

BUSTED

Johnson City, TN

#1 Jun 18, 2013
All i know is the tyaxpayers don't need ot be paying that $166,000 fine ot the IRS. It should be taken out of the director of schools' pay, and property tax liens from the school board members because they lets this nonsense happen on their watch. Read all about it below.....

http://www.timesnews.net/article/9063817/hawk...
duh

Ringgold, GA

#2 Jun 18, 2013
Amen!!
Hmmmm

Johnson City, TN

#3 Jun 18, 2013
BUSTED wrote:
All i know is the tyaxpayers don't need ot be paying that $166,000 fine ot the IRS. It should be taken out of the director of schools' pay, and property tax liens from the school board members because they lets this nonsense happen on their watch. Read all about it below.....
http://www.timesnews.net/article/9063817/hawk...
How does a finance director for a $54,000,000 school system forget to pay the IRS employee witholdings....TWICE!!

I agree with BUSTED. This is negligence that shouldn't be placed on the shoulders of the taxpayers.
Say what

Sevierville, TN

#4 Jun 18, 2013
Makes one wonder what else he forgot.
Johnny Wishbone

Kingsport, TN

#5 Jun 18, 2013
It's all about ethics!
Willy

United States

#6 Jun 18, 2013
I suspect that there is more to this story. Maybe he T.B.I. needs to investigate.
citizen

Kingsport, TN

#7 Jun 18, 2013
did you know that school teachers are instructed to throw away and destroy perfectly good suplies and equipment toward the end of each year b-4 inventory so to miantane or upgrade the budget for the following year . after this , they want to bitch about a pay riase and send the school work that should be done in school home with the kids so they dont have to do thier job . the person that did the taxes should be held personally responsible !!!if more individuals were held personally responsible , alot of this crap would stop .
WITH ALL THE ISSUES

Sevierville, TN

#8 Jun 18, 2013
It appears we have a leader ship problem starting at the top...the board needs to act.
Johnny Wishbone

Kingsport, TN

#9 Jun 18, 2013
Wonder how much Myron Dale has pocketed from our tax money? I recommend an audit through all the monetary funds.
IT HAPPENED MORE THAN

Hermitage, TN

#10 Jun 18, 2013
Once....that is not what leadership is about. and dont tell the hill did not know about the double dipping.
Eternal Skeptic

Alexandria, VA

#11 Jun 18, 2013
Gentle readers and fellow destroyers of character...

I smelleth more here than the men and women who write the news have yet to make known to us. Spent 20 years working in senior accounting and financial systems positions, another 12 years in systems consulting, the last 5.5 years owning my own business and paying federal tax deposits ON TIME.

Any accountant or bookkeeper or self-employed person responsible for making a payroll lives and dies by the dates the withholding deposits are due to be paid. Those dates are circled in red on the monthly calendar and by jiminy you know to get the deposits made ON TIME, EVERY TIME. Our dear friends and scrupulously honest men and women of the IRS (tongue-in-cheek) will take no prisoners when it comes to slathering on penalties for late deposits and daily interest calculations.

Personally, I do not know any of the players within the school financial operations, nor their supervisors, nor the board. What I do know is this was not some sort of clerical oversight. If that is the only answer people are coming up with, then look deeper. There is more to the story... particularly knowing it happened more than once. It smells nasty on the outside, and I feel confident that it will have a moldy, fungus covered, rotten smell on the inside (once all the dust clears from the investigations), cover ups notwithstanding.

Hate that we taxpayers who fund the school system are now out almost $200K. No telling what cuts will come in next year's budget to offset the carelessness and malfeasance. Let's hope the Board and the senior leadership of HCS understand the urgency of never letting this happen again, along with getting to the bottom of what REALLY motivated these silly, no-excuses mistakes to occur.

Thank you for playing.
spike

United States

#12 Jun 19, 2013
When/why was the finance director position created? Looks to me like that would be included in the school supt.job description.
PAID CONSULTANT

Monterey, TN

#13 Jun 19, 2013
Hell most companies have them on staff...they are called management? what about it school board?
One who knows

Kingsport, TN

#14 Jun 19, 2013
citizen wrote:
did you know that school teachers are instructed to throw away and destroy perfectly good suplies and equipment toward the end of each year b-4 inventory so to miantane or upgrade the budget for the following year . after this , they want to bitch about a pay riase and send the school work that should be done in school home with the kids so they dont have to do thier job . the person that did the taxes should be held personally responsible !!!if more individuals were held personally responsible , alot of this crap would stop .
Your statements are false. You are throwing anything negative and baseless against a wall of hatred and spite, hoping that something will stick. Your rant is also off topic; this is about a fine levied by the IRS.
citizen pay

Knoxville, TN

#15 Jun 19, 2013
Eternal Skeptic wrote:
Gentle readers and fellow destroyers of character...
I smelleth more here than the men and women who write the news have yet to make known to us. Spent 20 years working in senior accounting and financial systems positions, another 12 years in systems consulting, the last 5.5 years owning my own business and paying federal tax deposits ON TIME.
Any accountant or bookkeeper or self-employed person responsible for making a payroll lives and dies by the dates the withholding deposits are due to be paid. Those dates are circled in red on the monthly calendar and by jiminy you know to get the deposits made ON TIME, EVERY TIME. Our dear friends and scrupulously honest men and women of the IRS (tongue-in-cheek) will take no prisoners when it comes to slathering on penalties for late deposits and daily interest calculations.
Personally, I do not know any of the players within the school financial operations, nor their supervisors, nor the board. What I do know is this was not some sort of clerical oversight. If that is the only answer people are coming up with, then look deeper. There is more to the story... particularly knowing it happened more than once. It smells nasty on the outside, and I feel confident that it will have a moldy, fungus covered, rotten smell on the inside (once all the dust clears from the investigations), cover ups notwithstanding.
Hate that we taxpayers who fund the school system are now out almost $200K. No telling what cuts will come in next year's budget to offset the carelessness and malfeasance. Let's hope the Board and the senior leadership of HCS understand the urgency of never letting this happen again, along with getting to the bottom of what REALLY motivated these silly, no-excuses mistakes to occur.
Thank you for playing.
Wonder if any citizens have forgotten when the Rogersville Middle School had a fire that caused extensive damage. Apparently the Hawkins County School System had failed to insure the school for such loss and guess who paid for that. The citizens.
Todd Hatred

Sevierville, TN

#16 Jun 19, 2013
I'd like to know exactly how many convicted sex offenders and child sex predators are on the school board payroll. I think the answer will shock you.
Thinker

Sevierville, TN

#17 Jun 27, 2013
Johnny Wishbone wrote:
Wonder how much Myron Dale has pocketed from our tax money? I recommend an audit through all the monetary funds.
He has pocketed only his paycheck. He did nothing unethical, just made a horrible mistake. He's paid for it too. He has been fired and crucified in the media. It's time for him to be left alone and get more concerned with who will replace him!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rogersville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Clinch School Water Issue 14 min Concerned parent 1
Does size matter??? 38 min LTD 7
Narc 40 min Heroes 31
Nancy Barker 48 min Jimmy J 6
Hawkins county Sargent shown drinking on Facebook? 2 hr Sunset Hills 24
Crystal Johnson 2 hr Oops 3
jade henry (May '13) 2 hr gross 14

Rogersville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance