Who do you want to run this Town?

Posted in the Rogersville Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Bulldozer

Knoxville, TN

#1 Oct 25, 2006
A forum was started and as usual it went down anotherroad so lets try again. If things are so bad here with officials who do you suggest run this town? Let me know what you think and lets try to leave out the park please.
County Girl

United States

#2 Oct 25, 2006
Yes....the citizens not the politicians.They tend to ingore the citizens as evidenced by the folks who are adamantly against being annexed,yet they are BEING IGNORED by the BMA.This is not the first time they have ignored the citizens wishes.The only diff is the ones being ignored now are'nt in the towns limits....yet.
HOW ABOUT CAROLYN

United States

#3 Oct 25, 2006
Carolyn Elder could contribute musc to our area...and has!
Don Dimmick

Kingsport, TN

#4 Oct 25, 2006
County Girl wrote:
Yes....the citizens not the politicians.They tend to ingore the citizens as evidenced by the folks who are adamantly against being annexed,yet they are BEING IGNORED by the BMA.This is not the first time they have ignored the citizens wishes.The only diff is the ones being ignored now are'nt in the towns limits....yet.
And we have no intentions of ever being in the town limits! You are right, the BMA is the most unresponsive group I have ever seen. That is why we have no choice but to file suit and fight this annexation all the way. The third and last vote is on Nov 14 and I have no hope of them changing their minds. We have 30 days after that to file suit and it is well under way.
Here is An Idea

Miami, FL

#5 Oct 26, 2006
Susan Rice would do a great job. If we could get some younger people with fresh ideas it would help Rogersville alot. Maybe Susan and some others who have moved back home and have seen whats out there in the big world could incorporate some of those ideas into our small town.
John Metz is also a good candidate. A very smart businessman who isn't afraid to say what he thinks.
I also thing it would be great to get a new family oriented restaurant. Not necessarily a chain. Maybe something like Mountaineer or Cooks. Good food, decent price, quick service. These places are always busy.
Something for the children in the area is something we badly need too. Not just the park or McDonalds play ground. People will not move to an area if there is nothing for their kids to do.
Just a thought.
Rogersville Mom

Columbia, TN

#6 Oct 26, 2006
We need someone with Vision and the drive to see that vision through. I have not lived here long enough to know anyone to nominate but would love to hear not only WHO you feel would be a good candidate but WHY you feel they would be good for Rogersville. Most of you just put up a name and assume that we will know who that is but that may not be the case for everyone so please could you all please expand your answers a bit. Thank you
Info

Columbia, TN

#7 Oct 26, 2006
Susan Rice would do a great job, very intelligent, great contacts, born and raised here, has a progressive attitude, well educated. Her father and brother are Boyd+Boyd (attorneys). Metz started a company in his early 20s and turned it to a million dollar company in few years. Never seen anybody so obsessed to succeed, he has to mentally break one day. He is too progressive for Rogersville, the older citizens would want to hang him.
Get R Done

Lavinia, TN

#8 Oct 26, 2006
Some decent,business minded, energetic folks is what Rogersville needs. John and Susan are both excellent choices. I think some younger ideas would be a great help to town. John, I have heard, has already been pursuing some down-town pursuits.
Bulldozer

Kingsport, TN

#9 Oct 26, 2006
I agree Susan would be great asset to this town. Chris Manis would be good too. He has lived here his whole life and has been successful in buisness as well. These 2 are young and that is what this town needs some younger folks looking to the future not some older folks trying to live in the past. Metz would be good as well he has a lot of fire in him when it comes to things getting done and done right.
Get R Done

Lavinia, TN

#10 Oct 26, 2006
I think the older folks have some great ideas as well that could be put into action by the younger folks. Some of the older folks have done alot for the town, but are probably burnt out. New ideas with some old wisdom would be a great match.
Rogersville Mom

Columbia, TN

#11 Oct 26, 2006
I don't think its a matter of age. There are plenty of both older and younger folk who could do a good job for Rogersville.

We just need to get some people in there who are more interested in serving ROGERSVILLE and what is best for us as a community than in lining their own pockets and serving themselves.
Here is An Idea

Miami, FL

#12 Oct 26, 2006
Well said Rogersville Mom!
wondering

United States

#13 Oct 26, 2006
Saw some news footage a while back showing the crime scene where Larry Vickers was shot.Question...what was the Mayors fat ass doing looking into the truck which was behind the police tape?He is a civilian is he not?If I or any other non police person were to risk contaminating a crime scene what would happen?
John Metz

Johnson City, TN

#14 Oct 26, 2006
I was told to look at this earlier today. I'm not obsessed with success just afraid of failure. Huge difference. The appointment of Steve McKinney to City Planning Committee was a great decision. He has the intelligence, charisma, and genuine concern for people that the town needs. I am sure that it was an "older" folk that appointed him and a good decision was made. Things are progessing. Congrats to Steve, he will do well for the community. Good man from a good family. This town is blessed with a good future pool to chose from Manis, Rice, McKinney and many others doing great work that we never hear of. Proud of my town and eager to grow.
concerned citizen

Surprise, AZ

#15 Oct 26, 2006
Was there ever an official ruling concerning
Larry Vickers' demise?
Citizen

Columbia, TN

#16 Oct 26, 2006
Go to the 2 forums from September 6. The autopsy was ruled inclusive. So bad for all of us.
Just an Observation

Lewisburg, TN

#17 Oct 26, 2006
John Metz wrote:
I was told to look at this earlier today. I'm not obsessed with success just afraid of failure. Huge difference. The appointment of Steve McKinney to City Planning Committee was a great decision. He has the intelligence, charisma, and genuine concern for people that the town needs. I am sure that it was an "older" folk that appointed him and a good decision was made. Things are progessing. Congrats to Steve, he will do well for the community. Good man from a good family. This town is blessed with a good future pool to chose from Manis, Rice, McKinney and many others doing great work that we never hear of. Proud of my town and eager to grow.
John, you always put forth your best effort at any endeavor and have since you were a kid. There's nothing wrong with that. No need to explain.
With success comes the occasional negative comment. Just goes with it, I suppose. I am pleased you are doing well. I applaud your success. And of course, you could contribute a great deal to our Town as a leader. After all, you listed two important qualifications for public service in your last sentence.
Bulldozer

Knoxville, TN

#18 Oct 26, 2006
John don't let these forums bother you. To be successful you have to do things others won't. You have the desire and drive to do that and that is nothing to be ashamed of. I agree some of these folks mentioned should think about running for office. Change can make things happen and without change our town will continue to fall behind. I love downtown but we need to recruit buisnesses. Our factories are unstable and who knows what the future holds for them. It is time to think about that awhile and not concentrate so much on Hale Springs and sidewalks.
Here is an Idea

United States

#19 Oct 30, 2006
Hey Bulldozer!
You sound like you are very intelligent and optomistic. Maybe you should be helping run the town.(Or maybe you already are.)You have displayed more maturity and business sense than most people who post on these forums.
Give it some thought!
Bulldozer

Kingsport, TN

#20 Oct 31, 2006
Thanks Idea! I am just someone who wants to see better things for this town. I don't want to lose anything this town has now I just feel we have more potential than we show. I love this town and I know most people in it. We have so much more to offer but for some reason people are afraid to let out our little secret. Not many places around where you can even still walk downtown or other places without wandering whats around the corner waiting on you. That is what people want and need to know we have that to offer here in good ole Rogersville.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rogersville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hawkins County School secrets 9 min Bully 14
Rogersville Middle School 44 min Rachel 2
FREE full blooded Pit Bull puppies to good homes (Jan '16) 7 hr jcg 11
Cherokee girls 17 hr Gochiefs 10
brain rimer (tara lipe's husband) (Aug '11) 17 hr Peanut 56
Big boom 19 hr Bob Atkins 5
People asking for money in the walmart parking lot (Mar '12) 20 hr bum 98

Rogersville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance