Casual exchange of Marijuana.

Casual exchange of Marijuana.

Posted in the Rogersville Forum

Wondering

Lexington, KY

#1 Jun 7, 2009
What does this mean when you get busted with POT??

**********CONFUSED**********

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#2 Jun 7, 2009
sharing a joint maybe ? hell i don't know ,i don't even smoke it.
Yesiree

Sweetwater, TN

#3 Jun 7, 2009
Wondering wrote:
What does this mean when you get busted with POT??
**********CONFUSED**********
It is when tyou don't sell but give a little bit of pot away to someone.
Religulous

AOL

#4 Jun 7, 2009
I don't necessarily condone mary jane, but get a lawyer and plea down the charge to simple possession of paraphenalia.

Otherwise, the pot charge is going to possibly F you over a hundred different ways, especially if you are young.

“Ow3n”

Since: Oct 07

American Computer Techs

#5 Jun 7, 2009
Means you broke the law and will pay the consequences.... when you disagree with a law, stand up, say so and vote to change them. Until then, obey them or be willing to pay the price.
Fred Templeton

Kingsport, TN

#6 Jun 7, 2009
It sure seems to be a lightweight charge.

We spend a lot of money investigating, arresting, prosecuting and imprisoning people for these sorts of things that really don't matter at all. What are we getting for our money? Well, we take someone who is doing something minor, and we brand him with a criminal record that will prevent him from getting a decent job. Now he goes on welfare, or turns to a life of real crime. These laws create crime and chaos and they accomplish absolutely nothing.

Should we ban heroin? Definitely. Meth? Yes. But people marijuana are at most dumbasses. They are not a threat to society. But they become threats to society when run through this system. It's like we've invented a machine for creating big problems out of tiny ones.

Why? To fill a few jobs for prison guards here and there? To bump of the profits of the private correctional facilities industry? What are we accomplishing and at what cost?

“Ow3n”

Since: Oct 07

American Computer Techs

#7 Jun 7, 2009
Fred, again I find myself in agreement with you.. To this I would add that I see a disturbing trend with the privitization of the "prison industry". Seems like the more money to be made in turning prisons into a industry... the more reason we find to place people within them (who might be better served by doing community service)

Something which bothers me is person convicted of a felony, irregardless of whether it is at the bottom of felony crimes... may serve their sentence, pay their debt to society... and yet still be barred from ever voting, serving on jury duty and running for office...

People should obey the laws if they are not prepared for the consequences of breaking them... But we may need to reconsider what constitutes a felony and how long that conviction will stand between a citizen who paid their debt to society and them being able to vote.

For the record, I've never been charged with anything more serious than a speeding ticket (65 mph in a 55 mph zone) and that's been well over 10 years ago.
Fred Templeton

Kingsport, TN

#8 Jun 7, 2009
Same here, had a couple speeding tickets, that's been at least 20 years ago. Also never did any drugs. I do drink on occasion, but never in excess.

Despite my being relatively straight arrow, I have not seen any benefit from these laws or the mentality that people need to be thrown in prison for everything. How many people have given up smoking pot because they got arrested for it? Probably close to nobody. How many people have been killed because a pothead was impaired while driving? Never heard of that. People who are stoned tend to stay home. If they do drive they drive really slow. I'd rather have them on the road than the gray haired church lady driving 85, talking into her cell phone lost in the world of gossip and TV shows with her sister, and not paying any attention to the road.

Then I look at the cost to the taxpayers, to society and to the people themselves, their children and spouses, and the taxes they could have paid if they were working instead of in jail, coupled with all the scientific studies that show pot isn't even all that bad for people, certainly not as bad as tobacco, have to ask why are we doing this? Who is this benefitting?

These tiny infractions should be infractions. Give them a ticket for smoking it and make them pay a $50 fine. Don't waste my money paying to put them in jail.

25% of all prisoners in the world are in the US, but we have only 5% of the world's population! The US has five times more of their population in prison than the rest of the world. Why? Do we really have that many more bad people, and if that is the case, why? It's not genetics, they are the same people you find in the rest of the world since this is a nation of immigrants.
Fred Templeton

Kingsport, TN

#9 Jun 7, 2009
Those statistics came from this article - http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php...

"The prison industry in the United States: big business or a new form of slavery?"
Yesiree

Sweetwater, TN

#10 Jun 7, 2009
Fred Templeton wrote:
Same here, had a couple speeding tickets, that's been at least 20 years ago. Also never did any drugs. I do drink on occasion, but never in excess.
Despite my being relatively straight arrow, I have not seen any benefit from these laws or the mentality that people need to be thrown in prison for everything. How many people have given up smoking pot because they got arrested for it? Probably close to nobody. How many people have been killed because a pothead was impaired while driving? Never heard of that. People who are stoned tend to stay home. If they do drive they drive really slow. I'd rather have them on the road than the gray haired church lady driving 85, talking into her cell phone lost in the world of gossip and TV shows with her sister, and not paying any attention to the road.
Then I look at the cost to the taxpayers, to society and to the people themselves, their children and spouses, and the taxes they could have paid if they were working instead of in jail, coupled with all the scientific studies that show pot isn't even all that bad for people, certainly not as bad as tobacco, have to ask why are we doing this? Who is this benefitting?
These tiny infractions should be infractions. Give them a ticket for smoking it and make them pay a $50 fine. Don't waste my money paying to put them in jail.
25% of all prisoners in the world are in the US, but we have only 5% of the world's population! The US has five times more of their population in prison than the rest of the world. Why? Do we really have that many more bad people, and if that is the case, why? It's not genetics, they are the same people you find in the rest of the world since this is a nation of immigrants.
I do agree with the spirit of what you say but unless someone is dealing pot,it is very unlikely they will go to prison anymore.
Fred Templeton

Kingsport, TN

#11 Jun 7, 2009
I can't agree with that based on cases I've known.

Looking up the law right now, I see that simple possession is charged if you have less than a half ounce. If one is caught with half an ounce or more in Tennessee (which a lot of people have for personal use), that can be charged as possession with intent to sell, which is a class E felony that can bring 6 years in state prison. It doesn't matter whether you had intent or not, having more than a half ounce is intent by legal definition.

Even with this "casual exchange" law, if they get out for time served, there is still time in jail waiting for trial, loss of job, inability to care for one's children, possible loss of custody, salary for jailors, and so forth. All this extracts a cost on society and for what benefit is unclear.
orange

United States

#12 Jun 7, 2009
Wondering wrote:
What does this mean when you get busted with POT??
**********CONFUSED**********
you dont have anything to worry about. employers are always forgiving of people that have made mistakes in their past.

Since: Nov 08

East Gybyp

#13 Jun 7, 2009
I have been reading the posts and if you all are really serious about ending the war on drugs go to: http://www.drugpolicy.org/homepage.cfm

And sign up! Find out whats going on, people are trying hard to change pot laws as we speak.
I agree But

Lexington, KY

#14 Jun 8, 2009
OK, What if you were Busted for Possession of less than a half an ounce or Sellin Less than Half an Ounce and you tell the Law that someone else is Dealing Something and they (LAW) drop your charge to Casual exchange of Marijuana. What Then??
I know People than deal Pot and They are so STINGY.., I know for A Fact, They would NEVER GIVE POT AWAY. They were Charged with Casual exchange of Marijuana which as I say above They would never give it away. I know for a fact that they also sell other Drugs. That is how they afford the drugs for Their Personal Use.
What Then??
I believe what you are Busted with is WHAT YOU SHOULD BE CHARGED WITH...NO MATTER WHO YOU SNITCH ON.....
Archie

Hiltons, VA

#15 Jun 8, 2009
I agree But wrote:
OK, What if you were Busted for Possession of less than a half an ounce or Sellin Less than Half an Ounce and you tell the Law that someone else is Dealing Something and they (LAW) drop your charge to Casual exchange of Marijuana. What Then??
I know People than deal Pot and They are so STINGY.., I know for A Fact, They would NEVER GIVE POT AWAY. They were Charged with Casual exchange of Marijuana which as I say above They would never give it away. I know for a fact that they also sell other Drugs. That is how they afford the drugs for Their Personal Use.
What Then??
I believe what you are Busted with is WHAT YOU SHOULD BE CHARGED WITH...NO MATTER WHO YOU SNITCH ON.....
I know everyone else is thinking this to. Who snitched on you?
Just Maybe

Maryville, TN

#16 Jun 9, 2009
In most cases they will drop the charge down to a lesser charge IF you will Plead Guily to it (It saves the court money instead of going to Trial) if would they plead to a lesser chargr.
Saves Money!
Hmmm

Knoxville, TN

#17 Jun 12, 2009
I agree But wrote:
OK, What if you were Busted for Possession of less than a half an ounce or Sellin Less than Half an Ounce and you tell the Law that someone else is Dealing Something and they (LAW) drop your charge to Casual exchange of Marijuana. What Then??
I know People than deal Pot and They are so STINGY.., I know for A Fact, They would NEVER GIVE POT AWAY. They were Charged with Casual exchange of Marijuana which as I say above They would never give it away. I know for a fact that they also sell other Drugs. That is how they afford the drugs for Their Personal Use.
What Then??
I believe what you are Busted with is WHAT YOU SHOULD BE CHARGED WITH...NO MATTER WHO YOU SNITCH ON.....
Well, they may have been caught giving the people pot, but they may have paide for it before hand... Like, Pot Head gives Weed Man $25 bucks, Weed Man has to go get the weed, come back, and meet Pot Head and give him his weed. If he was caught while he was giving him the weed, and there wasn't any money exchange during the incident, then that would be Casual Exchange. They couldn't really PROVE that the Pot Head paid for it unless the both owned up to it, and then they would probably be charged with a more serious crime.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rogersville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Royston of Rogersville (May '15) 51 min wow 18
Who's the clown drives the black Chevy Equinox 1 hr snapper 2
B.D. Cradic arrest 2 hr Diamond girl 2
gregory moore/chad spears 6 hr Travis 2
jessica sav-a-lot (Jun '15) 7 hr Woooo 8
Tosha McDavid and Mike Fazier 8 hr real talk 2
Austin Vaughn ? 9 hr Lumpy Layman 1

Rogersville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rogersville Mortgages