State cop shoots at minivan full of kids

State cop shoots at minivan full of kids

Posted in the Rogersville Forum

Bulldog

Hixson, TN

#1 Nov 18, 2013
TAOS, N.M.(KRQE)- A simple traffic stop turned into a wild scene with a 14-year-old rushing a state cop, a high-speed chase and another officer firing at a fleeing minivan full of kids.

Now the driver and her son are facing charges while New Mexico State Police are investigating the officers involved.

It all started Oct. 28 on a state highway south of Taos. A State Police officer pulled over Oriana Ferrell's minivan for going 71 mphr in a 55 mph zone. In the minivan with her were her five kids. The Taos News reports the children range in age from 6 to 18.

On dash cam video released to KRQE News 13 Friday you can see Ferrell and the officer argue after Ferrell couldn't decide whether to pay the $126 fine or contest it in court. The officer instructs her to turn her vehicle off and stay put before walking back to his car.

But Ferrell drives off instead and the officer has to pull her over again. He doesn't appear happy as he approaches the driver's side door of the minivan. The officer yells for Ferrell to get out several times before reaching into the minivan to try and pull her out.

In the dash cam video, you can hear her children yelling for the officer to leave their mom alone and get off of her.

At one point Ferrell's 14-year-old son gets out of the minivan and starts walking towards the officer, but the boy thinks better of it after the officer draws his Taser and points it at the boy. He gets back in the van while the officer continues his struggle to get Ferrell out of the minivan.

"Look, I'm going to ask you one more time to get out of the vehicle and then I'm going to pull you out, OK?" the officer said. "You're already facing evading charges. You ran away from me."

"Sir, I pulled back over, I didn't run away," Ferrell responded. "You see my children. I'm not doing anything wrong. I'm just trying to take them to the Rio Grande."

Finally, Ferrell agrees to get out and talk with the officer behind the minivan. The conversation doesn't last long. When the officer tells her to turn around, Ferrell bolts back towards her minivan. The officer grabs her and a struggle ensues.

That's when her 14-year-old son gets out of the car again and rushes the officer. The boy and the cop have a short tussle. The officer draws his Taser again while the boy runs back into the minivan and closes the door.

As backup officers pull up, the officer pulls out his baton and smashes one of the rear windows as the family screams again. The minivan speeds off while another officer fires what appears to be three shots at the fleeing vehicle.

Ferrell leads State Police on a high-speed chase into Taos before giving herself up in front of a hotel.

Ferrell and her 14-year-old son are both arrested. The mother gets child abuse and fleeing charges as well as a misdemeanor for possession of drug paraphernalia. The Taos News reports that State Police claim they found two marijuana pipes in the minivan. Her son is charged with battery of an officer.

The family is reportedly from Memphis and was visiting New Mexico on an educational trip.

State Police are not releasing the names of the officers involved but say they are both under investigation for the incident.

http://www.krqe.com/news/crime/state-cop-shoo...
ABC

Monterey, TN

#2 Nov 18, 2013
Since this not Tennessee, I wish that your headline had shown "New Mexico State Police...".
spike

United States

#3 Nov 18, 2013
Bulldog wrote:
TAOS, N.M.(KRQE)- A simple traffic stop turned into a wild scene with a 14-year-old rushing a state cop, a high-speed chase and another officer firing at a fleeing minivan full of kids.
Now the driver and her son are facing charges while New Mexico State Police are investigating the officers involved.
It all started Oct. 28 on a state highway south of Taos. A State Police officer pulled over Oriana Ferrell's minivan for going 71 mphr in a 55 mph zone. In the minivan with her were her five kids. The Taos News reports the children range in age from 6 to 18.
On dash cam video released to KRQE News 13 Friday you can see Ferrell and the officer argue after Ferrell couldn't decide whether to pay the $126 fine or contest it in court. The officer instructs her to turn her vehicle off and stay put before walking back to his car.
But Ferrell drives off instead and the officer has to pull her over again. He doesn't appear happy as he approaches the driver's side door of the minivan. The officer yells for Ferrell to get out several times before reaching into the minivan to try and pull her out.
In the dash cam video, you can hear her children yelling for the officer to leave their mom alone and get off of her.
At one point Ferrell's 14-year-old son gets out of the minivan and starts walking towards the officer, but the boy thinks better of it after the officer draws his Taser and points it at the boy. He gets back in the van while the officer continues his struggle to get Ferrell out of the minivan.
"Look, I'm going to ask you one more time to get out of the vehicle and then I'm going to pull you out, OK?" the officer said. "You're already facing evading charges. You ran away from me."
"Sir, I pulled back over, I didn't run away," Ferrell responded. "You see my children. I'm not doing anything wrong. I'm just trying to take them to the Rio Grande."
Finally, Ferrell agrees to get out and talk with the officer behind the minivan. The conversation doesn't last long. When the officer tells her to turn around, Ferrell bolts back towards her minivan. The officer grabs her and a struggle ensues.
That's when her 14-year-old son gets out of the car again and rushes the officer. The boy and the cop have a short tussle. The officer draws his Taser again while the boy runs back into the minivan and closes the door.
As backup officers pull up, the officer pulls out his baton and smashes one of the rear windows as the family screams again. The minivan speeds off while another officer fires what appears to be three shots at the fleeing vehicle.
Ferrell leads State Police on a high-speed chase into Taos before giving herself up in front of a hotel.
Ferrell and her 14-year-old son are both arrested. The mother gets child abuse and fleeing charges as well as a misdemeanor for possession of drug paraphernalia. The Taos News reports that State Police claim they found two marijuana pipes in the minivan. Her son is charged with battery of an officer.
The family is reportedly from Memphis and was visiting New Mexico on an educational trip.
State Police are not releasing the names of the officers involved but say they are both under investigation for the incident.
http://www.krqe.com/news/crime/state-cop-shoo...
The 14yo was lucky he didn't get shot.It doesn't matter if you are 14 or 44,you don't jump out of a car and run around it to confront a cop who already has his hands full with a stupid female.If you are dead,it doesn't matter what age your killer was.
ABC

Monterey, TN

#4 Nov 18, 2013
spike wrote:
<quoted text>The 14yo was lucky he didn't get shot.It doesn't matter if you are 14 or 44,you don't jump out of a car and run around it to confront a cop who already has his hands full with a stupid female.If you are dead,it doesn't matter what age your killer was.
Spike, you are exactly correct! Everyone has to be very careful and use good judgment whether they are right or wrong. I think you meant to say; "If you are dead, it doesn't matter what your age is."
Do you think this could this have started over money? QUOTE"Ferrell and the officer argue after Ferrell couldn't decide whether to pay the $126 fine or contest it in court." QUOTE Somewhere it was stated that she was from Memphis. I wonder if maybe she didn't have enough money for both the fine, gas to go home and food?
Bulldog

Knoxville, TN

#5 Nov 18, 2013
ABC wrote:
Since this not Tennessee, I wish that your headline had shown "New Mexico State Police...".
The first line of the story says Taos New Mexico. The driver is from Memphis.
ABC

Monterey, TN

#6 Nov 18, 2013
Spike posted:
spike wrote:
<quoted text>The 14yo was lucky he didn't get shot.It doesn't matter if you are 14 or 44,you don't jump out of a car and run around it to confront a cop who already has his hands full with a stupid female.If you are dead,it doesn't matter what age your killer was.
ABC wrote:
<quoted text>
ABC posted:
[QUOTE who="ABC" ... I think you meant to say; "If you are dead, it doesn't matter what your age is." ...
However, when I re-read your post I understand what you were saying. An officer in danger doesnÂ’t have the option to worry about the age of his attacker. Like you correctly stated, "If you are dead, it doesn't matter the age of your killer." Sorry that I suggested that you were thinking about the 14 year old but it was because I had just watched the video of this.
I suggest viewing this police video. Seems everyone involved was crazy! The woman being stopped, the child attacking the police, the first police officer, the screaming children, the police officer violently beating and breaking the window with children likely being sprayed with glass on the other side, another police officer shooting three times directly at the van with young children in the back seat as it sped away from him, and at least another officer drawing his gun as the van sped away from him.
As for child endangerment, I think two of the officers are as guilty as the mother! Matter of fact, I think the shooting officer is very significantly more guilty. To me, it seems to be poor judgment on the part of everyone involved especially the mother. However, based on this police video, if I were on the jury, I would carefully consider all the evident presented but would vote give the shooting cop the maximum penalty possible or would hang the jury trying because he was in no danger what-so-ever.
lmao

Dalton, GA

#7 Nov 19, 2013
That lady could and should have handled the situation diffrently. Still, those cops really acted aggressive. THEY didn't calm the situation in rational way. Bad judgement is on both sides. I wonder why the cops were not able to handle that situation with more control and less violence. Our police dept.are getting out of control. Can they not find more rational people to hire. Why do they all seem to hire control freaks and bullies. HITLER would love our police agencies on all levels.
Trojan Man

Glendale, CA

#8 Nov 19, 2013
I knew they were Black before I even watched the video. For some reason, many have trouble following police instructions. You can call it rascist all you want but facts are facts.
iveseenitall

Elizabethtown, KY

#9 Apr 12, 2015
lmao wrote:
That lady could and should have handled the situation diffrently. Still, those cops really acted aggressive. THEY didn't calm the situation in rational way. Bad judgement is on both sides. I wonder why the cops were not able to handle that situation with more control and less violence. Our police dept.are getting out of control. Can they not find more rational people to hire. Why do they all seem to hire control freaks and bullies. HITLER would love our police agencies on all levels.
Can anyone tell me why the cop didnt just give her the ticket, and go about his buisiness. I mean this is why the whole thing got started. Just stupid crap! totally unavoidable! you issue the ticket if they dont pay you issue a warrent, case closed. they tried to make her decide what she was going to do right there on the side of the road, How stupid is that. just give her the damn ticket, if she wont sign write refused ti sign. again case closed. New Mexico should check their S.O.P.!!!!!!!!!
Independently Thinking

United States

#10 Apr 13, 2015
Funny thing is, it all started over a traffic ticket. The officer had her information. He could have still mailed her the ticket, and if she avoided it, they would review her license and put out a warrant. Sounds a lot less messy than busting out windows of a van FULL of kids and then shooting into it.

"SHOOT TO KILL. SHOOT TO KILL. HAVING DIFFICULTY IMMEDIATELY TICKETING SOMEONE FOR $100."

It's bad decisions from both sides, but police state America dictates that, no matter what, saying no to ANY cop's command is not permissible, and whatever force is necessary will be used, at ALL cost, to apprehend the person saying no. Regardless if it's a $10 parking ticket or not.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rogersville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Amy Jeffers 16 min Whale Watcher 19
Vance woman 37 min Whale Watcher 2
Rogersville City School 2 hr My Opinion 2
Simply Tee Rific Fire!!! 19 hr Smart Ass 4
Hey Mo! (Jun '10) 20 hr Leo1963 13
city recorder Fri Ole Smokey 24
History of Rogersville City Government Fri Why the heck 28

Rogersville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance