Republicans pass bill ending Overtime...
Hmmmmmm

Kingsport, TN

#21 May 17, 2013
Are you seriously that moronic chowder, or is it an act? You think anti-discrimination laws and minimum wage are entitlements?

You're like a brain damaged 5 year old who's been force fed politics all their life....you try to make coherent sentences regurgitating things you've heard, but anyone that hears you knows there is something MAJORLY wrong with you.

It's pretty sad actually.
Thinking

Kingsport, TN

#22 May 17, 2013
It is amazing that all of you on here cannot comprehend a simple example and resort to name calling because you don't have a logical response. Enough time wasted here, masterchowder, at least one person "gets it"!
Joe the plumber

Maryville, TN

#23 May 18, 2013
master chowder wrote:
For quite some time the Republicans have been searching for a "business-friendly alternative" to overtime pay. And now with a renewed effort on the part of Eric Cantor, it looks like we have finally arrived: OVERTIME PAY WILL SOON BE ANCIENT HISTORY!!!
Let's face it: the time-and-a-half rule is an out-dated, antiquated practice put in place a hundred years ago by bleeding heart liberals like FDR and Obama. The overtime rule forces employers to pay their employees extra money; as such, most employers refuse to give their employees more than 40 hours worth of work per week.
It is unfair, burdensome government regulatory policies like this that hurt small businesses and put our economy into the gutter.
Well good news for American workers. Finally the Republicans are making progress in eliminating overtime pay altogether. The GOP-led House just recently passed a bill which allows you the flexibility of working as much as you choose.
Finally the ball is in your court, finally you have freedom to decide.
Work as much as you want. Work 20 hours... 40 hours... 90 hours or more. You get paid the exact same amount of money per hour. How fair can you get? And since your employer is not being forced to pay you a ridiculous sum in overtime pay, your employer can afford to give you many more hours to work.
Work as much as YOU want, YOU decide. Wow! In fact, it is predicted under this plan that if you simply work just a couple hours extra per week, you will make ten-fold times more money than you ever would have made with traditional overtime pay. Look's like a Win-Win for both employer and employee!!!
Under this new legislation, instead of receiving the traditional time-and-a-half pay for overtime, you will instead receive Comp Time Off. This plan works just like a vacation day. You put in a request to schedule yourself an off day 3 months from now, and your employer approves your request. It is that simple.
Goodbye overtime pay. This is the type of leadership we need in government. We need leaders who know how business works and who can get our economy back on track. I think they should have eliminated overtime and minimum wage years ago, glad to see that some parts of government are serving the interests of American citizens in spite of Obama's meddling.
Let'see how this is going to go down. You've called my cause your shit has backed up. I arrive at your abode and discover thet problem , it's going to take about 15 hrs to fix the problem. It's Friday. Do you want it fixed or do you want to wait to get rid of your shit till Tuesday?
r l c

Kouts, IN

#24 May 18, 2013
You guys make it sound as if we have a choice to work overtime! Any place I have worked, overtime days are pre scheduled. I doubt you know what this means, so I will explain it every other sunday I am scheduled to work I can not make any plans and dont know if I am working overtime until 24 hrs before I am forced to be there. Every heard the word mandatory ? That's what overtime is for most workers. Does not matter if you had something planed like your kids wedding, if you are not there, you get wrote up. I have been 2 hrs from quitting time on a friday, and told we have a hot job and it needs to be out buy sat night. You need to be here or get wrote up and reviews are coming up and if you are not here it will cost you your raise. So tell me again how this is a good idea and that employers will not abuse it. Hey when I am told I have to work overtime I have to get a babysitter for those extra hours and I have to pay them so really I am doing nothing but working for the company for nothing.
Joe the plumber

Franklin, NC

#25 May 18, 2013
Joe the plumber wrote:
<quoted text>Let'see how this is going to go down. You've called my cause your shit has backed up. I arrive at your abode and discover thet problem , it's going to take about 15 hrs to fix the problem. It's Friday. Do you want it fixed or do you want to wait to get rid of your shit till Tuesday?
oops"me". And by the way remember,"an emergency on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on my part".
Joe the plumber

Greenville, SC

#26 May 18, 2013
Joe the plumber wrote:
<quoted text>oops"me". And by the way remember,"an emergency on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on my part".
And remember I'm one of you'ins and since we did away with all those burdensome rules and regulations, I'm assuming the only rules in play are yours and mine. I do believe that my rules trump yours.
r l c

Kouts, IN

#27 May 18, 2013
master chowder You have to be joking right ? Did you write this just to see how many people you could piss off? If not then I suspect you do not work for an hourly wage in a right to work state. Your post said(work as many hours as you want.) Really ,that right there shows that you don't have a clue!I do not have a choice and never have. When they tell you that you have to work you either work or get wrote up and possibly make you a target to be fired in the future. I know I have been there. How about you tell us what you do for a living. I think we all would like to hear what you do and why you would want to have to work on your day off. Why you would like to work for straight time at lets say 10:00$ an hour and have to pay a baby sitter 4 to 6 an hour while you work the forced overtime.
master chowder

Hixson, TN

#28 May 18, 2013
r l c wrote:
master chowder You have to be joking right ? Did you write this just to see how many people you could piss off? If not then I suspect you do not work for an hourly wage in a right to work state. Your post said(work as many hours as you want.) Really ,that right there shows that you don't have a clue!I do not have a choice and never have. When they tell you that you have to work you either work or get wrote up and possibly make you a target to be fired in the future. I know I have been there. How about you tell us what you do for a living. I think we all would like to hear what you do and why you would want to have to work on your day off. Why you would like to work for straight time at lets say 10:00$ an hour and have to pay a baby sitter 4 to 6 an hour while you work the forced overtime.
This is not a joke, and I am not here to make people mad.

If you are angry, remember that my opinion does not really even matter. I am not in Congress and I have absolutely no influence on the system.

Think of it this way:

- I did not create this bill.

- I did not vote on this bill.

I am just passing along information to you. All of the policies that I have described are not things that I invented or came up with myself, I am simply telling you exactly what has come out of the mouths and the offices of the politicians themselves. And, in fact, Tennessee is a red state; most of the electorate here in Tennessee agree with what I am describing.

If you have a problem with changes to Overtime laws, then you need to contact Phil Roe. Roe was the one who voted for this, not me. So why don't you call Roe up and tell him a sad story.

Keep in mind that just because the Republicans in the House passed this bill, the Senate is still under control of the Liberals. Thus, any proposed changes to Overtime laws will not happen until we regain control of the Senate.

I think once both houses of Congress are back under control of the Republicans we will begin to see some of the changes I have described. But like I said before: I am just passing along the information, I am not the one creating these policies.

But I reiterate, just like Thinking said earlier, you will BENEFIT from reforms to labor laws, including reforming Overtime rules. You will BENEFIT from these changes.

Remember: Obama and the liberals are the ones who want to keep you dependent on government. The liberals are the ones who came up with all these unfair labor laws in the first place.

What I am interested in, what Conservatives are interested in, are policies which allow businesses to flourish. If we simply eliminate these regulations and reduce the power of federal government, if companies in this country are allowed to prosper, then people like you will become prosperous.
money maker

Kingsport, TN

#29 May 20, 2013
Vote all Republicans OUT!
WRONG

Johnson City, TN

#30 May 21, 2013
The new law says they don't have to pay you AT ALL after 40 hours. you have to take comp time.
Not a Socialist

Knoxville, TN

#31 May 21, 2013
"Time-and-a-half might have been a good idea 100 years ago for employees working at the Triangle Waist Shirt factory, but it does not make sense in today's economy. And Overtime Pay certainly is not fair if you are one of the millions of self-employed workers in this country."

Those who dont learn from history are Doomed to repeat it. So lets just revert back to a system which was worse than what we have now. Thats a great idea. You must be in the 1% Master chowder or just an Idiot. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Panda

Santa Cruz, CA

#32 May 24, 2013
master chowder wrote:
I'm a racist idiot who should kill himself after letting glen beck ram my ass
Wow, you are such a bigot. How can you be calling ANYONE else misinformed when your bible-decayed brain automatically associates Barack Obama with muslims?
Maybe our economy would function BETTER if there wasnt one of the biggest austerity problems in DECADES? A bunch of rich people buying off people such as the ones who passed this law to pass legislation against the majority of the populace to serve their biggest campaign contributors? Maybe if every corporation in our country didn't tax dodge with our bogus tax laws by keeping money in international havens and actually PAY what they are supposed too? Our government might actually NOT be hemorrhaging money every year. Maybe the average person would actually have money to SPEND AT SMALL BUSINESSES.
i'm GLAD there is government regulation, because heartless, greedy, shit stain of human beings like yourself would just ruin the environment, enslave us all with china styles sweatshops, and ruin any chance at the common person to get an education or actually have some disposable income.
You are sick.
UGottaBKidding

Arlington Heights, IL

#33 Jul 25, 2013
reality wrote:
take the automobile industry ..with benifits , some of them are making = to 60 or 70 $ anhour selling these vehicles to people making 10 $ an hour and financing them for up to 7 years . by the time its paid for , its wore out and you need another one .. now whos taking advantage of the system ?
Now who's "uninformed"? The "$60-$70 per hour" you, yourself, low-information propagandist, is not a "wage and benefit" package paid to an employee, but rather the COST to the manufacturer, including entitlements (read pensions) EARNED and PAID INTO by the employees, for ALL current and past employees. Why is Toyota's cost so much less than GM?? Because they haven't been making cars here for a hundred years...
UGottaBKidding

Arlington Heights, IL

#34 Jul 25, 2013
Thinking wrote:
It is amazing that all of you on here cannot comprehend a simple example and resort to name calling because you don't have a logical response. Enough time wasted here, masterchowder, at least one person "gets it"!
Sadly, the problem is everyone here EXCEPT you and Master [of nothing] Chowder, gets it.

You all want to just eliminate ALL labor laws altogether: minimum wage, insurance, unemployment insurance, workers comp, paid time off... etc.

I think they have that in China now, so you can move there if you want.

You think companies don't charge extra for having to put unexpected resources into a project or job?

When you call the HVAC guy out at 10:00PM on a Sunday night to fix your furnace when it's -30°F outside so you don't freeze to death, he's more than happy to come out for the same "non-emergency" M-F 9-5 rate?

Are you going to share with the rest of us?? Those must be some wonderful hallucinogenics you're smoking!!...

And should the bill actually pass both houses, since the benefits to business will be so significant, will the price of everything to the consumer go down proportionately??

NOT A CHANCE!!
UGottaBKidding

Arlington Heights, IL

#35 Jul 25, 2013
master chowder wrote:
For quite some time the Republicans have been searching for a "business-friendly alternative" to overtime pay. And now with a renewed effort on the part of Eric Cantor, it looks like we have finally arrived: OVERTIME PAY WILL SOON BE ANCIENT HISTORY!!!
Let's face it: the time-and-a-half rule is an out-dated, antiquated practice put in place a hundred years ago by bleeding heart liberals like FDR and Obama. The overtime rule forces employers to pay their employees extra money; as such, most employers refuse to give their employees more than 40 hours worth of work per week.
It is unfair, burdensome government regulatory policies like this that hurt small businesses and put our economy into the gutter.
Well good news for American workers. Finally the Republicans are making progress in eliminating overtime pay altogether. The GOP-led House just recently passed a bill which allows you the flexibility of working as much as you choose.
Finally the ball is in your court, finally you have freedom to decide.
Work as much as you want. Work 20 hours... 40 hours... 90 hours or more. You get paid the exact same amount of money per hour. How fair can you get? And since your employer is not being forced to pay you a ridiculous sum in overtime pay, your employer can afford to give you many more hours to work.
Work as much as YOU want, YOU decide. Wow! In fact, it is predicted under this plan that if you simply work just a couple hours extra per week, you will make ten-fold times more money than you ever would have made with traditional overtime pay. Look's like a Win-Win for both employer and employee!!!
Under this new legislation, instead of receiving the traditional time-and-a-half pay for overtime, you will instead receive Comp Time Off. This plan works just like a vacation day. You put in a request to schedule yourself an off day 3 months from now, and your employer approves your request. It is that simple.
Goodbye overtime pay. This is the type of leadership we need in government. We need leaders who know how business works and who can get our economy back on track. I think they should have eliminated overtime and minimum wage years ago, glad to see that some parts of government are serving the interests of American citizens in spite of Obama's meddling.
So if I only want to work 4 hours this week, you're good with that too?? And you'll guarantee that I have a job next week? NOT!!
Trojan Man

Glendale, CA

#36 Jul 25, 2013
r l c wrote:
You guys make it sound as if we have a choice to work overtime! Any place I have worked, overtime days are pre scheduled. I doubt you know what this means, so I will explain it every other sunday I am scheduled to work I can not make any plans and dont know if I am working overtime until 24 hrs before I am forced to be there. Every heard the word mandatory ? That's what overtime is for most workers. Does not matter if you had something planed like your kids wedding, if you are not there, you get wrote up. I have been 2 hrs from quitting time on a friday, and told we have a hot job and it needs to be out buy sat night. You need to be here or get wrote up and reviews are coming up and if you are not here it will cost you your raise. So tell me again how this is a good idea and that employers will not abuse it. Hey when I am told I have to work overtime I have to get a babysitter for those extra hours and I have to pay them so really I am doing nothing but working for the company for nothing.
You could quit and start your own company and then you could take off when you want.
John Davis

Johnson City, TN

#37 Jul 25, 2013
I used to get overtime pay and it was pretty confusing. My paycheck changed from month to month and I never knew what I was going to get.

Ever since the boss cancelled overtime pay, my paychecks have been consistent no matter how many hours I work.

This helps with financial planning and is a real benefit. I am glad overtime pay is done with, it was a confusing bother!
looking

Kingsport, TN

#38 Jul 25, 2013
UGottaBKidding wrote:
<quoted text>
Sadly, the problem is everyone here EXCEPT you and Master [of nothing] Chowder, gets it.
You all want to just eliminate ALL labor laws altogether: minimum wage, insurance, unemployment insurance, workers comp, paid time off... etc.
I think they have that in China now, so you can move there if you want.
You think companies don't charge extra for having to put unexpected resources into a project or job?
When you call the HVAC guy out at 10:00PM on a Sunday night to fix your furnace when it's -30°F outside so you don't freeze to death, he's more than happy to come out for the same "non-emergency" M-F 9-5 rate?
Are you going to share with the rest of us?? Those must be some wonderful hallucinogenics you're smoking!!...
And should the bill actually pass both houses, since the benefits to business will be so significant, will the price of everything to the consumer go down proportionately??
NOT A CHANCE!!
pto is a perk, not required by law. you really need to check your labor law. ot is a burden on business growth. proven fact
UnDead

Kingsport, TN

#39 Jul 25, 2013
master chowder wrote:
If you people had just listened to me in the first place and voted for Mitt, we wouldn't even be talking right now. All of these issues would have been taken care of.
Yea maybe his magic underwear would save us all from everything. Mitt? Really? You have just lost all credibility.
St Jeebus

Bristol, TN

#40 Jul 26, 2013
John Davis wrote:
I used to get overtime pay and it was pretty confusing. My paycheck changed from month to month and I never knew what I was going to get.
Ever since the boss cancelled overtime pay, my paychecks have been consistent no matter how many hours I work.
This helps with financial planning and is a real benefit. I am glad overtime pay is done with, it was a confusing bother!
It must of been so damn hard to think of what to do with all that extra money. Damn your dumb.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rogersville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Good for the Brits 3 min Lincoln Republican 9
Main Street Rogersville 1 hr Little Birdie Says 47
Bojangles 5 hr duhhhh 28
Mike & Lisa Eidson car wreck 7 hr miss RN101 4
Average Child Support per child (Mar '10) 9 hr casas15 89
Why Trump is popular in the South 11 hr Trump rules 8
George Will leaves GOP 14 hr Just the Facts 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rogersville Mortgages