878 votes

Click on an option to vote

Jim Sells

Carolyn Elder

AMEN

Knoxville, TN

#21 May 8, 2013
It is simple wrote:
Cost of living around here is too high. The extra costs are hurting the ones that work the hardest and need necessities most. City government makes decisions that profit themselves the most. They have little regard for the tax payers that they have the responsibility of representing. I believe that the idea of 'representing the people' is no longer even a part of their thinking process. Time for change. The clic needs to be broken up and give this town a breath of fresh air. Just watch for the attacks on the opposition to start. It won't be pretty, but that is how it works around here.
But it will come...thnking is a warm up...and worst will began.
It is Simple

Knoxville, TN

#22 May 8, 2013
thinking wrote:
Which candidate are you?
I am not a candidate, but would be if I could stomach the corruption long enough to fight the battle. I admire the people that actually have the skills and the courage to take on this task because it won't be easy. If you care more about other people than you do about power and personal promotion, then you might feel out of place in local politics. Things will not change without a fight and I have nothing but admiration for those that I see taking a personal stand to try and make a difference. Those sacrificing their time in hopes of making things better for their families and their neighbors should be commended and supported by those of us that recognize the problems but donít have the skills or stomach for the job.
fyi

Shelbyville, TN

#23 May 8, 2013
thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
City police protection, trash pick up, Rogersville city school, park & ability to be proud of my beautiful charming town.
Question then becomes, what do I get for my county dollars?
Sheriff, deputies, jail, justice center, convenient centers, about 30 schools, Laurel Run Park and others, access to information in all the offices in the courthouse, county roads, emergency services, airport, to mention a few things county property taxes go to.
thinking

Johnson City, TN

#24 May 8, 2013
Yes!!! I get to pay for a justice center to house criminals!! My city tax covers to TAKE my trash away( shout out to the awesome city workers!!!).

County schools are overcrowded, out of control & under achieving.

Uhm, don't own a plane so airport benefits me none.
proof

United States

#25 May 8, 2013
Elder is not a change ,just a different name to the same game.
May Be

Knoxville, TN

#26 May 8, 2013
Maybe Elder IS a change. FOR SURE we already know that Sells is NOT! Same old stuff for another term when we desperately need change right now. I think this is not the time to make the same old mistake again. 42 years is enough of a chance for anyone, so he deserves no more chances. He had his last chance when taxes were raised the last time. He had his last chance when he refused to take a stand time and time again for the citizens who put him in office and he did not have the courage to stand up for anything but what served himself and his agenda. The people who have a personal interest in Sells being in office may put him in again, but it will be bad news for the rest of us who need a public servant to actually represent us. We need to get out and vote against Sells.
SADLY

Dandridge, TN

#27 May 8, 2013
thinking wrote:
Yes!!! I get to pay for a justice center to house criminals!! My city tax covers to TAKE my trash away( shout out to the awesome city workers!!!).
County schools are overcrowded, out of control & under achieving.
Uhm, don't own a plane so airport benefits me none.
one word IDIOT....Must be family..how much do we pay for city dept s per hr....highest in the state
SADLY

Dandridge, TN

#28 May 8, 2013
you must be city payroll
Jimmee

Greenville, SC

#29 May 8, 2013
What is the salary of Rogersville Mayor ?
do tell

Tullahoma, TN

#30 May 8, 2013
May Be wrote:
Maybe Elder IS a change. FOR SURE we already know that Sells is NOT! Same old stuff for another term when we desperately need change right now. I think this is not the time to make the same old mistake again. 42 years is enough of a chance for anyone, so he deserves no more chances. He had his last chance when taxes were raised the last time. He had his last chance when he refused to take a stand time and time again for the citizens who put him in office and he did not have the courage to stand up for anything but what served himself and his agenda. The people who have a personal interest in Sells being in office may put him in again, but it will be bad news for the rest of us who need a public servant to actually represent us. We need to get out and vote against Sells.
Last chance for what? Take a stand on what? You wrote a lot but didn't say anything.
thinking

Johnson City, TN

#31 May 8, 2013
SADLY wrote:
<quoted text>one word IDIOT....Must be family..how much do we pay for city dept s per hr....highest in the state
Not family. Just because I call you out, all you have got is "family"?

Still waiting for your list of towns you claim have lower tax rate with more charm.

By the way, I think our city department deserves every penny and more. They are well worth the job they do.
SADLY

Sevierville, TN

#32 May 8, 2013
thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
Not family. Just because I call you out, all you have got is "family"?
Still waiting for your list of towns you claim have lower tax rate with more charm.
By the way, I think our city department deserves every penny and more. They are well worth the job they do.
0Kay TINKERBELL how about every town in the county...and your big bang worth it all....big NO... call me out good grief..what an idiot...to much in breeding. ever have a real job outside courthouse? wait or cityhall?
rock

Kingsport, TN

#33 May 8, 2013
sells was put in office for many years because he played the game with the influential folks in rogersville.. it will take an outsider that cannot be bought to bring rogersville up to par and out of the hands of a few influential people..wonder why we do not have a waffle house ? wonder why if you want to shop other than wal-mart you go to kingsport ? wonder why drug suppliers go free why users pay the co. millions every year ? wonder why down town rogersville , all the shops are shut down or shutting down ? wonder why 50% of the people in hawkins co. are on food stamps , we-fare, or disability ? only a select few in this town now and always have prospered because of our old time leaders and has been handed down to their familys...we are in desperate need of an agressive leader that cannot be bought!!!
resident

Kingsport, TN

#34 May 8, 2013
i remember when haskel winsted and his crew of mary men dictated the goings on in this town and that was pretty much the beginning of a power play all the way to date,,
thinking

Johnson City, TN

#35 May 8, 2013
SADLY wrote:
<quoted text>0Kay TINKERBELL how about every town in the county...and your big bang worth it all....big NO... call me out good grief..what an idiot...to much in breeding. ever have a real job outside courthouse? wait or cityhall?
As I truly suspected, you have nothing but hot air. You talk about wasteful spending yet provide nothing. Then Sir Big Britches you declare to have facts about towns with lower taxes, again, you can not provide any info to back up that trap you got flapping in the wind. You are real impressive.

Again, do not work with any candidate nor am I related to any of them. Yep, you got called out and feel flat on your face. Try again.
answer

Kingsport, TN

#36 May 8, 2013
thinking wrote:
<quoted text>

Here ya go.

Rogersville 1.67 Jonesborough 1.28 Franklin 1.3275
how bout this

Kingsport, TN

#37 May 9, 2013
rock wrote:
sells was put in office for many years because he played the game with the influential folks in rogersville.. it will take an outsider that cannot be bought to bring rogersville up to par and out of the hands of a few influential people..wonder why we do not have a waffle house ? wonder why if you want to shop other than wal-mart you go to kingsport ? wonder why drug suppliers go free why users pay the co. millions every year ? wonder why down town rogersville , all the shops are shut down or shutting down ? wonder why 50% of the people in hawkins co. are on food stamps , we-fare, or disability ? only a select few in this town now and always have prospered because of our old time leaders and has been handed down to their familys...we are in desperate need of an agressive leader that cannot be bought!!!
The other reason Sells and the current BMA have been in office for so long is because of low voter turnout. We can't blame the entire economy of the town on them either. It's not their fault people aren't spending and companies are not investing. I think Sell's has been reasonable with the historical issues of the town where I believe Carolyn Elder would be a lot more aggressive. So unless someone else enters the race, Sells gets my vote.
thinking

Johnson City, TN

#38 May 9, 2013
Dont think that Franklin Tn with a population of 64,000 can compare their tax base with our town's population 4,500, do you?

While Jonesborough is a charming town, it does not support its own school system does it? Still hard to compare the two towns since they do not support the same amenities.
No clue

Jefferson City, TN

#39 May 9, 2013
People in Rogersville have no clue about issues within the city government. Lots if money being spent and nothing to show for it. Church Hill is a much better run city. Just because you have a school doesn't make you great. Police protection is good in both cities. Church Hill also have parks, wonder if you have to pay to use picnic area? Animal control in Church Hill, not in Rogersville. Before you say Move to Church Hill, I don't live in either city but I do read.
Rogersville people get out and vote! If you don't try to make a change in your city then you have nothing to complain about.
how bout this

Kingsport, TN

#40 May 9, 2013
No clue wrote:
People in Rogersville have no clue about issues within the city government. Lots if money being spent and nothing to show for it. Church Hill is a much better run city. Just because you have a school doesn't make you great. Police protection is good in both cities. Church Hill also have parks, wonder if you have to pay to use picnic area? Animal control in Church Hill, not in Rogersville. Before you say Move to Church Hill, I don't live in either city but I do read.
Rogersville people get out and vote! If you don't try to make a change in your city then you have nothing to complain about.
I know Church Hill has Animal Control but does it have a Tree Board?
Well we do and it's the only reason I live here. BTW, I'm just kidding and being cynical.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rogersville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Teresa Afford (Jul '13) 2 hr fyi 4
Trump is President 7 plus more years 4 hr Dr Spek 5
Isaac Dean 5 hr BLESS YOU 1
Persia Church & pastor Hoskins (Apr '12) 9 hr Heart patient 66
Walt Raebel 11 hr princeofpersia 1
Lisa Andies 12 hr Inquiring Mind 1
Chamber of Commerce 18 hr moparedtn 14

Rogersville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance