Jim Sells

Carolyn Elder

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Zeus

Madisonville, TN

#1 May 7, 2013
Jim Sells....Hell he has been mayor for what 40 years or something like that? What makes you think he will lose this time around?
Mrs Rogers

Kingsport, TN

#2 May 7, 2013
Sells!!! The other one can quote the town charter but couldn't back it up with what could be accomplished.
how bout this

Newport, TN

#3 May 7, 2013
Zeus wrote:
Jim Sells....Hell he has been mayor for what 40 years or something like that? What makes you think he will lose this time around?
I don't think he'll lose, it will be a miracle if Carolyn Elder wins.
If Blaine Jones couldn't beat him I don't think Ms. Elder has a chance.
Change and Progress

Knoxville, TN

#4 May 7, 2013
Like the way Ms Elder thinks and it is way past time for a change in Rogersville. She has some good ideas that do not involve raising taxes and that would be a breath of fresh air! Sells should have left years ago. My taxes have tripled in the last few years and raising taxes is the only answer the current administration has for every problem that surfaces. Vote for change because our community desperately needs it.
Real Answers

Kingsport, TN

#5 May 7, 2013
Sad fact is more people will vote in this poll than will vote in the real election. Sells talks about how little he's raised taxes. I know I used to pay about half of what I do now. In the end, Sells will win but only because most people don't care enough to vote. Most people couldn't name the mayor or more than one or two aldermen. It'll be the usual 20% turnout and all the old ones will go back in.
Mrs Rogers

Kingsport, TN

#6 May 7, 2013
What exactly is she proposing? Nuclear family....
Rosey

Knoxville, TN

#7 May 7, 2013
The odds are against any change taking place, but that fact alone should encourage us to go the extra mile and make sure we vote and encourage our neighbors and coworkers to also vote. Shucks, bet we could make a difference if we all just make the effort to take a few neighbors and friends with us to the polls. Talk it up and make voting a priority. Change does not happen without a few heros.
SADLY

Knoxville, TN

#8 May 7, 2013
Real Answers wrote:
Sad fact is more people will vote in this poll than will vote in the real election. Sells talks about how little he's raised taxes. I know I used to pay about half of what I do now. In the end, Sells will win but only because most people don't care enough to vote. Most people couldn't name the mayor or more than one or two aldermen. It'll be the usual 20% turnout and all the old ones will go back in.
% WOULD BE A INCREASW. Notice they have the whatever people trying to belittle the people. Taxes should never be raised until all waste is cut out of city govt.
really

Kingsport, TN

#9 May 7, 2013
I guarantee you Mayor Sells is not posting on Topix trying to gather votes, nice try though Mrs. Elder!
tax

Kingsport, TN

#10 May 7, 2013
I pay my city tax with pride trash pickup city police and fire protection city school city parks. My county tax is a different story.
Thinking

Kingsport, TN

#11 May 8, 2013
Real Answers wrote:
Sells talks about how little he's raised taxes. I know I used to pay about half of what I do now.
So, you are telling us the only thing you are paying more for is your taxes? Gas isn't more? Insurance isn't higher? Groceries have stayed the same price? Electric bill is the same?
Confused

Johnson City, TN

#12 May 8, 2013
tax wrote:
I pay my city tax with pride trash pickup city police and fire protection city school city parks. My county tax is a different story.
Would you care to explain your statement a little better. Thats awful expensive for trash pick up.
Confused also

Kingsport, TN

#13 May 8, 2013
What do you get in the city for the tax you pay that you don't get in the county? I think it's time we did a check and balance on city hall and all the departments. Check you news articles and you will find just when most of the tax increase was proposed and passed. Right after the last election! Did the BMA not know a tax increase was coming prior to the election? They should have. Before you vote Good Ole Boys back in office ask questions and don't jump on early voting because after your vote is cast it's to late. You may not like the answers you get, if you get an answer.
someone explain

Madisonville, TN

#14 May 8, 2013
Incumbent keeps saying tax rate only been raised 4 times since 1977. Today Kingsport paper says taxes raised 4, 5, and 6 years ago. What is difference in raising taxes and raising tax rate? That's confusing.
LOOKING BACK

Knoxville, TN

#15 May 8, 2013
someone explain wrote:
Incumbent keeps saying tax rate only been raised 4 times since 1977. Today Kingsport paper says taxes raised 4, 5, and 6 years ago. What is difference in raising taxes and raising tax rate? That's confusing.
The last increase also was really an extra 19% because of increase tax assesment that state gave locals are reduced rate to take to offset the increased assesment...county gave the reduction city not only kept the 19% but also raised taxes. you also get increases in water, sewer, cable, and other things like hook up fees etc that are not known to the general public. compare city budgets of same or larger towns like church hill or mount carmel.
thinking

Kingsport, TN

#16 May 8, 2013
Confused also wrote:
What do you get in the city for the tax you pay that you don't get in the county?.
City police protection, trash pick up, Rogersville city school, park & ability to be proud of my beautiful charming town.

Question then becomes, what do I get for my county dollars?
SADLY

Knoxville, TN

#17 May 8, 2013
thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
City police protection, trash pick up, Rogersville city school, park & ability to be proud of my beautiful charming town.
Question then becomes, what do I get for my county dollars?
I know of several towns with as good or better services with a lot less cost...taxes...don't say it I was here first.
thinking

Kingsport, TN

#18 May 8, 2013
Name them!
It is simple

Knoxville, TN

#19 May 8, 2013
Cost of living around here is too high. The extra costs are hurting the ones that work the hardest and need necessities most. City government makes decisions that profit themselves the most. They have little regard for the tax payers that they have the responsibility of representing. I believe that the idea of 'representing the people' is no longer even a part of their thinking process. Time for change. The clic needs to be broken up and give this town a breath of fresh air. Just watch for the attacks on the opposition to start. It won't be pretty, but that is how it works around here.
thinking

Kingsport, TN

#20 May 8, 2013
Which candidate are you?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rogersville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Danielle Jones 20 min citizen 16
What a Coincidence 3 hr Calhoun 22
Iranian Defector: 'U.S. Negotiating Team Mainly... 4 hr Calhoun 6
harley g is taking over walk in the park sara 6 hr Spelling Examiner 24
Justiceless United States of America 6 hr Still Amazed 7
Bergdahl Good, White House Florist Bad 6 hr Brass Balls 15
Paul rector 8 hr Gtfo 8
Rogersville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web