First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Respectfully

Kingsport, TN

#1 Oct 31, 2011
Shouldn't they be setting an example for our children? I teach my child to have respect for them but I'm having second thoughts here lately. Some of them need to go up and act their age.
What

United States

#3 Nov 4, 2011
Teachers can not grow up .They have been in the school setting all their lifes .Most do not understand the world outside that setting .Teachers are the worst bully our youth's have .The child who is lucky to do well on his or her own with little direction does well .The child who needs a teacher will most likely be lost in the system .The teacher will blame the parents and feel content in doing so.
Mother

Rising Fawn, GA

#4 Nov 4, 2011
If people only knew what Teachers go through. Walk one day in their shoes and I guarantee you will shut your mouths! They have to put up with children raised in all kinds of environments, good and bad. They deal with the results of how parents teach them at home, respect or no respect. They deal with children who's parents care and those that don't. Teachers are cursed, hit, spit on, kicked, etc. In my opinion, setting an example starts at home! A child has to taught respect! Given respect! Go to school and spend a day observing. You will be surprised! There are more good teachers out there than bad! If a teacher is not being respectful and doing their job, report it to the School Board. Teachers have responsibilities, just as the parents. It's a two way street. It's time for parents to take on their responsibility and see that home work is done, show up the parent & teacher conferences, discipline their children, make sure they are at school, take an active role and make sure their child isn't lost in the system. Quit making excuses and work with teachers to get the job done for the student! Parents even bully the teachers at times. Teachers are the only role models some children have.

Since: Nov 11

Hayesville, NC

#5 Nov 4, 2011
What wrote:
Teachers can not grow up .They have been in the school setting all their lifes .Most do not understand the world outside that setting .Teachers are the worst bully our youth's have .The child who is lucky to do well on his or her own with little direction does well .The child who needs a teacher will most likely be lost in the system .The teacher will blame the parents and feel content in doing so.
Teachers are the worst bully for a child to have to deal with.

Clay County teacher put on leave after complaint child was slapped

Asheville Citzen-Times Newspaper
Written by

Julie Ball

10:31 PM, Oct. 31, 2011

HAYESVILLE — The Clay County school system has put a teacher on paid administrative leave after parents complained she tied a student to a chair, put tape over his mouth and slapped the child.

Hayesville Elementary Elementary Principal Tommy Hollingsworth said Monday that he had completed his investigation and turned over findings to Superintendent Scott Penland for a decision on any further action. Penland could not be reached.

“We did take the allegations very seriously,” Hollingsworth said.“We talked to everybody we could, including every kid in the classroom. We’ve given him (Penland) a lot of information to look over.”

The teacher also taught middle school classes. The Citizen-Times is withholding her name because she has not been charged with a crime and the school system has made no decision on the allegations. She could not be reached.

It was unclear whether parents of the child who students said was tied to a chair had talked with school officials. Parents interviewed by the Citizen-Times said they didn’t find out from children about the incident until last week.

Parent Kelli Lindsay said at first she didn’t believe what she had heard.

“It sounded really far-fetched,” Lindsay said.

A parent had called Lindsay and told her to ask her daughter about what happened in class the previous week.

Lindsay said her daughter was reluctant to say anything. Her daughter told her the teacher had warned children not to say anything, Lindsay said.

Eventually, Lindsay said her daughter told her that a child was tied to a chair and tape was placed over the child’s mouth. Lindsay said, according to her daughter, when the tape was removed, the child called the teacher a name, and she struck the child.

“They (the students) don’t have anything to gain from this. They like her (the teacher). They don’t want to get her in trouble,” Lindsay said.

James V. Parker Jr., an attorney for the parent of another child in the classroom, declined to discuss details of the allegations.

“There’s been a reported incident involving a teacher and a student. And a number of children, young children, very young children, supposedly witnessed it. I’m waiting to see what the response of the school is going to be,” Parker said.“As to, specifics, I’m not going to repeat what the child said at this time.”

Parker is also a former schools superintendent.

“My client is concerned. She’s very concerned. She’s concerned because of potential there for a traumatizing event. And if, in fact, something did happen like that, I think it can have a negative effect on children, not just her child, and on education,” Parker said.
What

Bowling Green, SC

#6 Nov 5, 2011
Mother wrote:
If people only knew what Teachers go through. Walk one day in their shoes and I guarantee you will shut your mouths! They have to put up with children raised in all kinds of environments, good and bad. They deal with the results of how parents teach them at home, respect or no respect. They deal with children who's parents care and those that don't. Teachers are cursed, hit, spit on, kicked, etc. In my opinion, setting an example starts at home! A child has to taught respect! Given respect! Go to school and spend a day observing. You will be surprised! There are more good teachers out there than bad! If a teacher is not being respectful and doing their job, report it to the School Board. Teachers have responsibilities, just as the parents. It's a two way street. It's time for parents to take on their responsibility and see that home work is done, show up the parent & teacher conferences, discipline their children, make sure they are at school, take an active role and make sure their child isn't lost in the system. Quit making excuses and work with teachers to get the job done for the student! Parents even bully the teachers at times. Teachers are the only role models some children have.
I well understand the many different backgrounds of the many who come in the school doors .Walk a mile in their shoes indeed .The path they chose was to teach .I want them to do so with respect for the childs needs.If the only person a child as to look up to is a teacher they are in very big trouble.Does not matter how involved a parent is ,the end result is always the same when the teacher's feel they are put upon to endure the kid's they teach .Instead of being the idea of compassion ,concern and the real passion to teach.If all they want is a cookie cutter, well adjusted easy to learn child .Teacher fail in a big way .This county is the worst for this .Parents who care face disrepect, abuse of power .The child suffers daily in a system rife with bad whinny bulling teachers who need to retire or find a new line of work. Many parent are going to private schools or home schooling .The system is broken and it is time for your attitude to change .The childern are the loser here .We always hear the same sad excuses for the teachers .I would gladly walk a day or more in the shoes of a teacher .The day they walk in the shoes of the child they are making miserable.
Anonymous

Washington, DC

#7 Nov 5, 2011
Mother wrote:
Amen!!
Anonymous

Washington, DC

#8 Nov 5, 2011
What wrote:
<quoted text>I well understand the many different backgrounds of the many who come in the school doors .Walk a mile in their shoes indeed .The path they chose was to teach .I want them to do so with respect for the childs needs.If the only person a child as to look up to is a teacher they are in very big trouble.Does not matter how involved a parent is ,the end result is always the same when the teacher's feel they are put upon to endure the kid's they teach .Instead of being the idea of compassion ,concern and the real passion to teach.If all they want is a cookie cutter, well adjusted easy to learn child .Teacher fail in a big way .This county is the worst for this .Parents who care face disrepect, abuse of power .The child suffers daily in a system rife with bad whinny bulling teachers who need to retire or find a new line of work. Many parent are going to private schools or home schooling .The system is broken and it is time for your attitude to change .The childern are the loser here .We always hear the same sad excuses for the teachers .I would gladly walk a day or more in the shoes of a teacher .The day they walk in the shoes of the child they are making miserable.
I challenge you to do substitute teacher training and spend some time in a public school system.... then we'll listen to your opinions.
What

Albemarle, NC

#9 Nov 6, 2011
iluvunmcgregor wrote:
<quoted text>
I challenge you to do substitute teacher training and spend some time in a public school system.... then we'll listen to your opinions.
We? Who are the we in your mind?I was a teacher for years .I do not need training dear .
Mother

Rising Fawn, GA

#10 Nov 6, 2011
What wrote:
<quoted text>
I well understand the many different backgrounds of the many who come in the school doors .Walk a mile in their shoes indeed .The path they chose was to teach .I want them to do so with respect for the childs needs.If the only person a child as to look up to is a teacher they are in very big trouble.Does not matter how involved a parent is ,the end result is always the same when the teacher's feel they are put upon to endure the kid's they teach .Instead of being the idea of compassion ,concern and the real passion to teach.If all they want is a cookie cutter, well adjusted easy to learn child .Teacher fail in a big way .This county is the worst for this .Parents who care face disrepect, abuse of power .The child suffers daily in a system rife with bad whinny bulling teachers who need to retire or find a new line of work. Many parent are going to private schools or home schooling .The system is broken and it is time for your attitude to change .The childern are the loser here .We always hear the same sad excuses for the teachers .I would gladly walk a day or more in the shoes of a teacher .The day they walk in the shoes of the child they are making miserable.
I respectfully understand where you are coming from as well. I also know that not all teachers should be lumped together. I am the Mother of a Special Education Teacher. One who choooses to go out of her way to stay after school with her students(with no extra pay), worries about them when they are home, struggles to find a way to get through to meet their needs, only to be verbally abused by parents who curse their children during conference sessions, etc. These children are definitely miserable. At home as well as at school. On the positive side, there are caring and involved parents as you mentioned as well. Every problem child has an underlying reason, and I am thankful that she cares enough to try and find the reason behind that behavior. All children are precious and are gifts from God! They deserve to be treated as such! I believe that with all my heart! Those children with special needs, whether it is a learning disability or behavior issues, need teachers who understand. One that understands or tries to understand and wants to provide that compassion that you are speaking of, no matter what it takes. Not all teachers understand that area of education, and special education teachers meet resistance and unwillingness from regular classroom teachers at times to provide that extra mile. The system is broken for those children, I agree. I only pray that my daughter continues her compassion and love for her students as she does now. She tells me all the time that each child has a gift, no matter how troubled they are. She just has to find out what that gift is and use it to that child's best ability in the classroom, with any class subject that is being encoutered. If my daughter is the only positive role model that student knows in his or her life, they will be richly blessed. Just as she feels blessed by having those students in her life as well. I know that my daughter is not the only caring teacher that exist in the system. There are many more, and there are just as many that don't seem to care. That has been true for years, but sadly it is getting worse.
I am the 1 percent

Moline, IL

#11 Nov 6, 2011
The problem with teaching is that it is and has always been one of those "fall back on" careers. If you are a woman and you have no talent or skills, you fall back on teaching. Or you fall back on Nursing. Just like for men, when they have no talent they fall back on construction or lawn care.

Seriously, do you people really want to know what the toughest job in America is? I mean, do you really want to know? A "stay-at-home mom". The toughest job in America. Just walk a mile in their shoes and you would know. LOLOLOL.

If these people had any true talent or intelligence they would not be the chimp at the front of a classroom full of autistic brats, they would have been in high-paying careers making a difference.
Hold up

United States

#12 Nov 7, 2011
I am the 1 percent wrote:
The problem with teaching is that it is and has always been one of those "fall back on" careers. If you are a woman and you have no talent or skills, you fall back on teaching. Or you fall back on Nursing. Just like for men, when they have no talent they fall back on construction or lawn care.
Seriously, do you people really want to know what the toughest job in America is? I mean, do you really want to know? A "stay-at-home mom". The toughest job in America. Just walk a mile in their shoes and you would know. LOLOLOL.
If these people had any true talent or intelligence they would not be the chimp at the front of a classroom full of autistic brats, they would have been in high-paying careers making a difference.
I hope you homeschool then...since you just compared a teacher to a chimp. Lucky you- you married someone with money so you can stay home. When he dumps your saggy breast, bleached out nastiness here in a few years for a 20 something don't be surprised... Just sayin.
What

Erwin, TN

#13 Nov 7, 2011
Mother wrote:
<quoted text>
I respectfully understand where you are coming from as well. I also know that not all teachers should be lumped together. I am the Mother of a Special Education Teacher. One who choooses to go out of her way to stay after school with her students(with no extra pay), worries about them when they are home, struggles to find a way to get through to meet their needs, only to be verbally abused by parents who curse their children during conference sessions, etc. These children are definitely miserable. At home as well as at school. On the positive side, there are caring and involved parents as you mentioned as well. Every problem child has an underlying reason, and I am thankful that she cares enough to try and find the reason behind that behavior. All children are precious and are gifts from God! They deserve to be treated as such! I believe that with all my heart! Those children with special needs, whether it is a learning disability or behavior issues, need teachers who understand. One that understands or tries to understand and wants to provide that compassion that you are speaking of, no matter what it takes. Not all teachers understand that area of education, and special education teachers meet resistance and unwillingness from regular classroom teachers at times to provide that extra mile. The system is broken for those children, I agree. I only pray that my daughter continues her compassion and love for her students as she does now. She tells me all the time that each child has a gift, no matter how troubled they are. She just has to find out what that gift is and use it to that child's best ability in the classroom, with any class subject that is being encoutered. If my daughter is the only positive role model that student knows in his or her life, they will be richly blessed. Just as she feels blessed by having those students in her life as well. I know that my daughter is not the only caring teacher that exist in the system. There are many more, and there are just as many that don't seem to care. That has been true for years, but sadly it is getting worse.
Well said!.I agree with every word. I am also proud of your daughter, who I know faces a system not supportive of her .
My best wishes to you both .Thank you for the effort to explain to others of the way it really is today.
question much

Jefferson City, TN

#14 Nov 7, 2011
Mother wrote:
<quoted text>
Regardless what ANYONE thinks , it takes a special person to do your daughters job!Opinions come a dime a dozen, and not just anyone can do her job.I have the upmost respect for her.

Regar
Random Opinion Generator

Kingsport, TN

#15 Nov 7, 2011
Let's summarize the negatives here: Teachers are bullies. This county is the worst for this. Teachers should walk in the shoes of the children they make miserable. Amen!! Teaching is a fall-back-on career, like construction or lawn care. Is that all? Is that the best you can do? Chimps? I'm not impressed. But can we expect anything less from this forum? We should be glad that people like "What" and "I am the 1 percent" can actually read sight words. Right now, I'll bet they are reading this and their lips are moving. I say we should thank teachers, the horrible chimp bullies they are, that "What" and "I am the 1 percent" can find the mental power to turn on their computers, log on to this web site, and manage to peck out enough letters to form words. Then, miraculously, they know enough to push a button labeled "Enter" and clap wildly upon seeing their words appear on their monitors. Yes, thank you teacher chimp bullies for teaching these people to interact with society electronically for our personal amusement. What else would we do? Homework? What for? If we fail in life, we can always be a teacher. Isn't that right, 1 percent? Can I get an Amen iluvunmcgregor? Ahhh-ahhh-ahhh-meeeen!!!
question much

Jefferson City, TN

#16 Nov 7, 2011
Random Opinion Generator wrote:
Let's summarize the negatives here: Teachers are bullies. This county is the worst for this. Teachers should walk in the shoes of the children they make miserable. Amen!! Teaching is a fall-back-on career, like construction or lawn care. Is that all? Is that the best you can do? Chimps? I'm not impressed. But can we expect anything less from this forum? We should be glad that people like "What" and "I am the 1 percent" can actually read sight words. Right now, I'll bet they are reading this and their lips are moving. I say we should thank teachers, the horrible chimp bullies they are, that "What" and "I am the 1 percent" can find the mental power to turn on their computers, log on to this web site, and manage to peck out enough letters to form words. Then, miraculously, they know enough to push a button labeled "Enter" and clap wildly upon seeing their words appear on their monitors. Yes, thank you teacher chimp bullies for teaching these people to interact with society electronically for our personal amusement. What else would we do? Homework? What for? If we fail in life, we can always be a teacher. Isn't that right, 1 percent? Can I get an Amen iluvunmcgregor? Ahhh-ahhh-ahhh-meeeen!!!
AMEN
Anonymous

Washington, DC

#17 Nov 7, 2011
What wrote:
<quoted text>We? Who are the we in your mind?I was a teacher for years .I do not need training dear .
24 years... neither do I, "dear"
not the one percent

Kingsport, TN

#18 Nov 8, 2011
I am the 1 percent wrote:
You are why people everywhere else in the US think that people in the South are stupid, redneck hicks. Thanks for reinforcing that stereotype, you chauvinist, hypocritical ass.
Positive Parent

United States

#20 Nov 11, 2011
I can't speak on behalf of all the schools in Hawkins County, but I will speak up for the faculty and staff at Hawkins Elementary. I currently have a child attending school there, and I will have to say that I am very pleased with the education that he is receiving there. He enjoys going to school and loves his teacher. She seems to be a very dedicated, hard working individual and very devoted to her job. I also substitute there, and I can tell you from first hand experience that teaching is not the cop-out, babysitting job that some people seem to think it is. Most teachers work hard to ensure that their students are receiving the best education possible. There will always be that minority that do it for the long breaks, but we can't judge all teachers by the few that don't do their jobs. If you have kept up with the news lately, you will know that teachers have to go through rigorous evaluations on a yearly basis. Teaching is not a play job, but a very challenging one. I would like to comment Mr. Bellamy and the faculty and staff at HES for striving to meet the needs of all students. Keep up the good work!
Speak The Truth

Kingsport, TN

#21 Nov 12, 2011
Positive Parent wrote:
I can't speak on behalf of all the schools in Hawkins County, but I will speak up for the faculty and staff at Hawkins Elementary. I currently have a child attending school there, and I will have to say that I am very pleased with the education that he is receiving there. He enjoys going to school and loves his teacher. She seems to be a very dedicated, hard working individual and very devoted to her job. I also substitute there, and I can tell you from first hand experience that teaching is not the cop-out, babysitting job that some people seem to think it is. Most teachers work hard to ensure that their students are receiving the best education possible. There will always be that minority that do it for the long breaks, but we can't judge all teachers by the few that don't do their jobs. If you have kept up with the news lately, you will know that teachers have to go through rigorous evaluations on a yearly basis. Teaching is not a play job, but a very challenging one. I would like to comment Mr. Bellamy and the faculty and staff at HES for striving to meet the needs of all students. Keep up the good work!
It's refreshing to hear good news about our school system. I'm a teacher and I can honestly say that the vast majority of teachers do their job and much more every single day. Of course, there are teachers who will not work with students, parents, or anyone else. We all know someone like that. Those teachers definitely need to find another job. Hopefully, the new evaluation process will force them out. Until then, focus on the positive things in education. Keep posting good news!
give me a break

Bristol, TN

#22 Nov 17, 2011
Positive Parent wrote:
I don't agree at all about the school or the staff .When the example set is to allow a "teacher" who does not have the self control enough not to pull a weapon on her own child .The treat was to kill .I don't see how you can expect a child to adhere to the rule of no tolerance when the very system abuses it's own rules of conduct.They truly disgust me !!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rogersville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Greed & God 20 min FYI 29
Linda Rhea 38 min TnGov 2
Curious 40 min 1st Gsme 1
walt trent post 55 min concered 3
Jobs 57 min Heyhey 1
Add your Business Listing or Website Here (Mar '10) 1 hr Planet Young 17
Flip Flop Bob 1 hr Old friend 20
pregnant highschoolers 5 hr Payton 51
Rogersville Dating
Find my Match