First Prev
of 4
Next Last
CITY COUNTY TAX PAYER

Knoxville, TN

#1 Sep 17, 2013
I pay county taxes same as others now she says we dont count...leaving us with a big tax increase in the city. sounds like a bunch of bs from the kpt news article. City tax PAYERS pay their share of county school transportation cost. What if the city charged the local county schools extra for sevices? Time for change.
Doreen

Clarksville, TN

#2 Sep 17, 2013
CITY COUNTY TAX PAYER wrote:
I pay county taxes same as others now she says we dont count...leaving us with a big tax increase in the city. sounds like a bunch of bs from the kpt news article. City tax PAYERS pay their share of county school transportation cost. What if the city charged the local county schools extra for sevices? Time for change.
Just curious, but what service does the city provide to the county? And a good solution here might be determine how much city taxpayers actually contribute to the county education budget and limiting funding to that amount.
CITY COUNTY TAX PAYER

Knoxville, TN

#3 Sep 17, 2013
Doreen wrote:
<quoted text>
Just curious, but what service does the city provide to the county? And a good solution here might be determine how much city taxpayers actually contribute to the county education budget and limiting funding to that amount.
city residents pay city taxes and the county taxes are the same rate as everyone but with a higher assesment city taxpayers actually pay more county taxes than if their same property was in the county only. and our parks and other services are paid by city taxes but used just as much by county residents...
observer

Chatsworth, GA

#4 Sep 17, 2013
Looks like Freeman and Davis aren't helping Metz with this. Why not? It's their district, too.
Willy

United States

#5 Sep 17, 2013
How does the county justify this? I don't live in town but this don't seem fair to me.
Info

Sevierville, TN

#6 Sep 17, 2013
Sounds perfectly fair to me. The county schools are good enough for the bigger cities, CH and MC.

If Rogersville residents want their own school that is their choice, but they still have to pay for the county schools.
CITY COUNTY TAX PAYER

Sevierville, TN

#7 Sep 17, 2013
Info wrote:
Sounds perfectly fair to me. The county schools are good enough for the bigger cities, CH and MC.
If Rogersville residents want their own school that is their choice, but they still have to pay for the county schools.
and we pay more than our share for county school transportation, looks like you are taking a little welfare here.
Rogersville Taxpayer

Chatsworth, GA

#8 Sep 17, 2013
I pay county property taxes, wheel tax, city property taxes, then get billed from the school board for buses.
dejavu

Kingsport, TN

#9 Sep 17, 2013
I would rather some of my tax money go to the county school system as I would for it to be poured into the Hale Springs Inn. We had no say so over that either!!!! And yes I live in the city and pay city and county taxes. I won't be living here much longer if the taxes keep going up though. They are ridiculous as it is!!
will

Kingsport, TN

#10 Sep 17, 2013
Rogersville Taxpayer wrote:
I pay county property taxes, wheel tax, city property taxes, then get billed from the school board for buses.
What do you mean you get "billed" for the buses?
Doreen

Clarksville, TN

#11 Sep 17, 2013
CITY COUNTY TAX PAYER wrote:
<quoted text>city residents pay city taxes and the county taxes are the same rate as everyone but with a higher assesment city taxpayers actually pay more county taxes than if their same property was in the county only. and our parks and other services are paid by city taxes but used just as much by county residents...
All participants at the city park pay a participation fee/rental/admission and the park uses county facilities for sporting events. I suppose you could increase the fee for out-of-city residents and eliminate facility/land usage agreements. I'd be okay with that. Just as I'd be okay with determining what percentage Rogersville contributes to the education budget, high property values and all, and limit funding to that. Certainly, as a taxpayer, you should get your fair share but nothing more since it's a city district with no county oversight. Out of 56,671 taxpayers, Rogersville represents less than 4,500, minus other services provided by the county (SO services, detention,, roads, courts, etc) and those students inside city limits actually attending a county school, now how many bus seats do you think that bought you?
Rogersville Taxpayer

Chatsworth, GA

#12 Sep 17, 2013
Doreen, Rogersville city taxpayers pay the same kind of taxes you pay to the county. They don't just pay Rogersville city taxes.

will, on top of all the taxes we already pay to the county, the county board of education bills Rogersville City School almost $100,000 for kids to ride the buses which we've already helped pay for with our county property taxes and wheel taxes, just like the county residents.
Not THAT big of a deal

Kingsport, TN

#13 Sep 17, 2013
Just drop off your child and pick them up when the busses aren't running. What's the big deal? Don't sweat the small stuff - it simply isn't worth it!

It does seem like a waste to run busses in the entire county when only one school is in session. What does it cost to operate busses on a daily basis?

The best solution is for RCS to operate on the same schedule as the county schools.
County taxpayer

United States

#14 Sep 17, 2013
$100 ,000.00 would not even pay for the gas to run the busses for the city school students. You want special privileges . Do you use county roads? Do county residents who shop in Rogersville pay state sales taxes that are then reallocated back to the municipality in some form?
OKAY CLUELESS

Cosby, TN

#15 Sep 17, 2013
County taxpayer wrote:
$100 ,000.00 would not even pay for the gas to run the busses for the city school students. You want special privileges . Do you use county roads? Do county residents who shop in Rogersville pay state sales taxes that are then reallocated back to the municipality in some form?
You sound like a guy that has a knife in a gun fight. glad now we at least give our kids an education for nine years...then they coast for four.

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#16 Sep 17, 2013
Another way to look at this is...the county has been subsidizing the city schools for years by not allocating the funds in the proper accounts, in the proper amounts, at the start of the fiscal year. It is now being corrected...

And...I believe that it is important to invest in the educational system whether you are childless, homeschooled or whatever, because it is our future and we all benefit from it.

LTFF....
Doreen

Clarksville, TN

#17 Sep 17, 2013
Rogersville Taxpayer wrote:
Doreen, Rogersville city taxpayers pay the same kind of taxes you pay to the county. They don't just pay Rogersville city taxes.
will, on top of all the taxes we already pay to the county, the county board of education bills Rogersville City School almost $100,000 for kids to ride the buses which we've already helped pay for with our county property taxes and wheel taxes, just like the county residents.
Helped by paying the same kind of taxes county residents pay? Again, how much help has under 4,500 out of over 56,000 taxpayers contributed? The fact is Rogersville contributes a very small percentage to the overall budget and has always gotten more than their fair share. Perhaps county taxpayers should demand their children be permitted to attend your specialized district tuition free since our county taxes have subsidized the district in amounts that exceed the contributions of those residing inside city limits.
Concerned

United States

#18 Sep 17, 2013
Nashville, TN (WSMV)-
Every K-12 public school in Tennessee is slated to get new social studies textbooks next year, but a group of parents say the books school districts are about to buy up are anti-American and inappropriate.
Now, they are taking their concerns to state commissioners, seeking to raise awareness about the books' content and their perceived bias, according to Nasvhille TV station WSMV
"In dozens of instances, these books are filled with liberal agenda and propaganda," parent Becky Keurig said.
Another mom says students taking Advanced Placement courses may read a book that is too mature for a high school student.
"It cites a 40-year-old study on masturbation in which students are told 20 percent of women actively fantasize about being raped. I have yet to meet these women," parent Julie West said.
The state textbook commissioner responded.
"I think the best question is,'Is that excusable in an AP-level class?' Personally, I have a real problem with that content, when were talking about a K-12 environment," Tennessee Textbook Commissioner Dr. Dan Lawson told WSMV.
Next month, the commission will put out a list of books it recommends to school districts, which will then be used for the next six years.
As for the parents' concerns, commissioners promised they will be heard.
Searching

Ringgold, GA

#19 Sep 17, 2013
Tim Carwile wrote:
Another way to look at this is...the county has been subsidizing the city schools for years by not allocating the funds in the proper accounts, in the proper amounts, at the start of the fiscal year. It is now being corrected...
And...I believe that it is important to invest in the educational system whether you are childless, homeschooled or whatever, because it is our future and we all benefit from it.
LTFF....
Do you know for a fact that those funds have moved through budget amendments to the transportation fund from general purpose or are you taking someone's word for it? It's all available on the clerk's website. Take a gander. You may also want to take in to consideration the amount of commercial property and industrial taxes that come from within the Rogersville city limits. This tax levy shift actually affects Rogersville less over the long haul than if does the county as a whole. What happens to those excess funds when the bus debt is paid down? Do you really think it will go back?
Searching

Ringgold, GA

#20 Sep 17, 2013
Doreen you may want to research BEP. Your county taxes are slightly less influential on that city school than you may believe.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rogersville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Censored post on $437,000 Cherokee H.S. elevator 1 hr stacy 36
Hillary carver 6 hr You read my mind 4
Tosh's Frazier 7 hr OMG BARFFF 19
Do you know... 7 hr NeedInfoAbout 1
Serinia 9 hr Pimp 4
Crystal Johnson 12 hr Crystal 20
Trump tax plan raises taxes for Tennessee workers 13 hr Preacher Bubba 8

Rogersville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance