tax increases and assesm increase

Posted in the Rogersville Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
WONDER

Knoxville, TN

#1 Jan 8, 2013
Could we get the Review/Hawkins today or more likely the Times News to report on how much Jack Price 20% increase added to the county and city tax rolls. And then hopefully ask our "elected officals" how they are spending the money and why they needed or wanting more increases...ex city not adjusting the tx rate. even with the county adjustment they still should have had additional revenue.
Sally

Morristown, TN

#2 Jan 10, 2013
WONDER wrote:
Could we get the Review/Hawkins today or more likely the Times News to report on how much Jack Price 20% increase added to the county and city tax rolls. And then hopefully ask our "elected officals" how they are spending the money and why they needed or wanting more increases...ex city not adjusting the tx rate. even with the county adjustment they still should have had additional revenue.
This was not Jack Price's increase, the increase was mandated by the State Office that governs all the Property Assessors offices in the state of Tennessee. Each county in Tennesse is required by law to conduct an annual reappraisal that will bring properties to a market value based on the maeket at that time. The State Office determines the increase, not the assessors office. Also that county cannot reap a windfall from an appraisal, that is why the tax rate is adjusted based on the increase in property values. The gain in revenue is from the new construction in the county. If you want to know how the money is spent call your commisioner or better yet set in on some of the meetings. It is interesting to me how people complain about an increase, but they will be the first to complain about a decrease in the services provided. And just so you know, I do not work for Jack, but I am employed in the Assessors office in another county.Jack was an excellent Assessor and it is sad that people do not take the time to educated themselves about the workings of government to make informed decisions. I would also like to ask, has your new assessor put all the appraisals back to what they were? Just asking!!!!
Billy Bob

Charlotte, NC

#3 Jan 10, 2013
If the state sets the rates, why do we even need to pay for an assessor?
Sally wrote:
<quoted text>This was not Jack Price's increase, the increase was mandated by the State Office that governs all the Property Assessors offices in the state of Tennessee. Each county in Tennesse is required by law to conduct an annual reappraisal that will bring properties to a market value based on the maeket at that time. The State Office determines the increase, not the assessors office. Also that county cannot reap a windfall from an appraisal, that is why the tax rate is adjusted based on the increase in property values. The gain in revenue is from the new construction in the county. If you want to know how the money is spent call your commisioner or better yet set in on some of the meetings. It is interesting to me how people complain about an increase, but they will be the first to complain about a decrease in the services provided. And just so you know, I do not work for Jack, but I am employed in the Assessors office in another county.Jack was an excellent Assessor and it is sad that people do not take the time to educated themselves about the workings of government to make informed decisions. I would also like to ask, has your new assessor put all the appraisals back to what they were? Just asking!!!!
Sally

Morristown, TN

#4 Jan 10, 2013
Billy Bob wrote:
If the state sets the rates, why do we even need to pay for an assessor?
<quoted text>
Good grief, someone has to do the assessments, mapping, and maintain the records. There is a lot more to maintaining this office than most people realize and like most offices, someone has to be in charge. All government offices and elected officials are accountable to State or Federal governments, who make the laws that they abide by.
Billy Bob

Charlotte, NC

#5 Jan 10, 2013
If the state determined the rate increase, why did mine go up twice the average percentage? Wouldn't everyone's go up close to the same percentage amount. FYI mine went up 35%.
Sally

Morristown, TN

#6 Jan 10, 2013
Billy Bob wrote:
If the state determined the rate increase, why did mine go up twice the average percentage? Wouldn't everyone's go up close to the same percentage amount. FYI mine went up 35%.
No, your appraisal will change based on the location of the property and the market in that area, what condition it is in, etc.. Also property values will change based on how low your property is to a market at that time. Not everyones goes up the same percentage, that is like saying everyones property is the same and is valued the same. That just is not the case. An example would be lake property, most lake property in the area has increased a great deal in the past 20 years, whereas farm property may not have increased in the same manner.I know the papers report all properties will change a certain percentage, but they simply do not understand the process. You cannot treat all properties the same, because they are not all exactly alike and they do not increase in value the same.
PLEASE

Sevierville, TN

#7 Jan 11, 2013
Sally wrote:
<quoted text>No, your appraisal will change based on the location of the property and the market in that area, what condition it is in, etc.. Also property values will change based on how low your property is to a market at that time. Not everyones goes up the same percentage, that is like saying everyones property is the same and is valued the same. That just is not the case. An example would be lake property, most lake property in the area has increased a great deal in the past 20 years, whereas farm property may not have increased in the same manner.I know the papers report all properties will change a certain percentage, but they simply do not understand the process. You cannot treat all properties the same, because they are not all exactly alike and they do not increase in value the same.
cut out the political bs...we know and have heard this crap before and we have also seen huge screw ups by local politicans,
willy

United States

#8 Jan 11, 2013
Regarding the claims that this was mandated by the
State: How in the hell could appraisals be more? Property value has decreased since the housing bust in 2008. Ask anyone who has a mortgage. Hawkins County is really run by LIBERAL DEMOCRATS inpersonating CONSERVATIVE REPUBLICANS. This is my honest opinion and they will probably sue me for posting it.
Overtaxed

Gate City, VA

#9 Jan 11, 2013
Sally wrote:
<quoted text>Good grief, someone has to do the assessments, mapping, and maintain the records. There is a lot more to maintaining this office than most people realize and like most offices, someone has to be in charge. All government offices and elected officials are accountable to State or Federal governments, who make the laws that they abide by.
Make up my mind....first you said the state set the rate, then you said someone has to do the assessments. Did Jack do the assessments, or not. IF NOT, he didn't do his job. I posted the state definiion of a county assessor on this site several times before Price was defeated for reelection. The assessor is tasked with setting the value of taxable property in the county. This was the Price assessment, not the state's.
I still wasn't angry at Jack until he used my tax money to hire protection from those who elected him to office. That capped the stack for me.
Yo Mama Obama

Wallburg, NC

#10 Jan 11, 2013
Overtaxed wrote:
<quoted text>
I still wasn't angry at Jack until he used my tax money to hire protection from those who elected him to office. That capped the stack for me.
All good politicians fear those who elect them do you think I would feel safe hanging out with a bunch of inner city gang bangers. Could you see me hanging with a bunch of lazy welfare and food stamp recipients? The elite are only comfortable with other elites.

Praise Allah(protect me from the "Great Unwashed")
Derr

Elizabethton, TN

#11 Jan 11, 2013
WONDER wrote:
Watch out. You'll get sued.
Sally

Morristown, TN

#12 Jan 11, 2013
willy wrote:
Regarding the claims that this was mandated by the
State: How in the hell could appraisals be more? Property value has decreased since the housing bust in 2008. Ask anyone who has a mortgage. Hawkins County is really run by LIBERAL DEMOCRATS inpersonating CONSERVATIVE REPUBLICANS. This is my honest opinion and they will probably sue me for posting it.
Well... I am a Republican and what I am saying is not political because I am not a politican. I am trying to explain that this is not Jack Prices tax increase, this is a state mandated reappraisal and the value change based on how low the state says the appraisials are to a current market. If the values went up, it is because the values were low to the current market. It has nothing to do with the market going down or the market going up, it has to do with how low the appraisals are to the current market. And by the way, values have not gone down, the market has been compromised because of the banking industry, people arent buying because they dont have any money and properties are being foreclosed on. The market is slow, but in the last 5 years I have seen few properties sell for less than they sold previously, if they have it because of a forced sale, relocation, etc.. Hey you dont have to believe me, I have worked at this for 24 years and I have no reason to lie to you. I just feel it is shame that a good man and a good Assessor has been talked so badly about for simply doing his job.I don't like taxes either, I just got my first paycheck of the year minus 30 dollars because of the social security tax increase, so give me a break. But it does seem to me that you would want someone in the office that will do his job correctly, not make promises he cant keep.This benefits everyone, believe not all government workers are out to hurt you, the majority that I know want to help the public, because they are the public. I pay taxes just like you do!
Sally

Morristown, TN

#13 Jan 11, 2013
Overtaxed wrote:
<quoted text> Make up my mind....first you said the state set the rate, then you said someone has to do the assessments. Did Jack do the assessments, or not. IF NOT, he didn't do his job. I posted the state definiion of a county assessor on this site several times before Price was defeated for reelection. The assessor is tasked with setting the value of taxable property in the county. This was the Price assessment, not the state's.
With uninformed people behaving the way you are, can you blame him. Jack set the values, he has a criteria set up by the state to use in setting those values and the amount of increase is determined by the state. The state determines the base rates and land values that are to be used in determining the values of your property, now do you understand.This isn't bull, I am getting ready to do my 5th reappraisal in the county that I work in, i know what it involves. But I doubt you will listen and this is why there are armed guards at the door because people do not want to hear the truth and they act based on their emotions rather than listening to the truth!
PLEASE

Cosby, TN

#14 Jan 11, 2013
Sally wrote:
<quoted text>With uninformed people behaving the way you are, can you blame him. Jack set the values, he has a criteria set up by the state to use in setting those values and the amount of increase is determined by the state. The state determines the base rates and land values that are to be used in determining the values of your property, now do you understand.This isn't bull, I am getting ready to do my 5th reappraisal in the county that I work in, i know what it involves. But I doubt you will listen and this is why there are armed guards at the door because people do not want to hear the truth and they act based on their emotions rather than listening to the truth!
you knw people get pissed when people act stupid..and the way things were handled was stupid...a 37% and then six months later another 8% because of storm damage repairs...no before you start excuses it was replacement.
Overtaxed

Gate City, VA

#15 Jan 11, 2013
Sally wrote:
<quoted text>With uninformed people behaving the way you are, can you blame him. Jack set the values, he has a criteria set up by the state to use in setting those values and the amount of increase is determined by the state. The state determines the base rates and land values that are to be used in determining the values of your property, now do you understand.This isn't bull, I am getting ready to do my 5th reappraisal in the county that I work in, i know what it involves. But I doubt you will listen and this is why there are armed guards at the door because people do not want to hear the truth and they act based on their emotions rather than listening to the truth!
Uninformed ?.... I don't think so. I don't care if you are doing your 5th or your tenth or your 20th "reappraisal" in the county you work in. Determining the value of property in your county or Hawkins County rests with the ASSESSOR OF PROPERTY, who is a duly elected county official, not with a couple of flunkies hired by the state. Jack had the final say, on the values he set but the taxpayers had the final say in the next election.
I know and have dealt with all of those state boys,...yes "Sally", even the one who recently retired and lives in the upper end, so kindly do not lecture me on how the system works.
Sally

Morristown, TN

#16 Jan 11, 2013
Overtaxed wrote:
<quoted text> Uninformed ?.... I don't think so. I don't care if you are doing your 5th or your tenth or your 20th "reappraisal" in the county you work in. Determining the value of property in your county or Hawkins County rests with the ASSESSOR OF PROPERTY, who is a duly elected county official, not with a couple of flunkies hired by the state. Jack had the final say, on the values he set but the taxpayers had the final say in the next election.
I know and have dealt with all of those state boys,...yes "Sally", even the one who recently retired and lives in the upper end, so kindly do not lecture me on how the system works.
Well pardon me for knowing my job! Won't lecture you, but will say that this kind of attitude is part of the problem, when people think they know everything vote in officials that are exactley what they say they don't want because they don't take the time to listen and learn!Your never going to get what you want!Tell me when those values go down like we were told they would!
Billy Bob

Charlotte, NC

#17 Jan 12, 2013
I still don't understand why my property with no improvements and 4 year older house goes up in value 35%. Especially when no one even came and looked at it!
Overtaxed

Gate City, VA

#18 Jan 12, 2013
Sally wrote:
<quoted text>Well pardon me for knowing my job! Won't lecture you, but will say that this kind of attitude is part of the problem, when people think they know everything vote in officials that are exactley what they say they don't want because they don't take the time to listen and learn!Your never going to get what you want!Tell me when those values go down like we were told they would!
I assume, since you are an employee of an assessors office somewhere in Tennessee, you are familiar with the County Technical Assistance service....which distills down Tennessee code regulations for counties across the state. I will quote the duties of a county assessor directly from CTS paperwork.

" The assessor determines the value of all property in the county whether real, personal or mixed, including mineral rights, leasehold and all other non-exempt property EXCEPT property of public utilities valued by the State of Tennessee."

Assessments of real property are in the hands of the County Assesor of Property with the explicit exception of the property held by public utilities, the value of which is in the hands of the state.
Perhaps you have been too busy posting here to read the job description sent to all assessors of property that use CTS, and also available from Nashville in the form of the TCA.
Sally

Morristown, TN

#19 Jan 12, 2013
Overtaxed wrote:
<quoted text> I assume, since you are an employee of an assessors office somewhere in Tennessee, you are familiar with the County Technical Assistance service....which distills down Tennessee code regulations for counties across the state. I will quote the duties of a county assessor directly from CTS paperwork.
" The assessor determines the value of all property in the county whether real, personal or mixed, including mineral rights, leasehold and all other non-exempt property EXCEPT property of public utilities valued by the State of Tennessee."
Assessments of real property are in the hands of the County Assesor of Property with the explicit exception of the property held by public utilities, the value of which is in the hands of the state.
Perhaps you have been too busy posting here to read the job description sent to all assessors of property that use CTS, and also available from Nashville in the form of the TCA.
This is like beating a dead horse, yes, the assessor is responsible, but he is governed and monitored by the state,who sets the guidelines and laws that he/she must abide by. And, when a reappraisal is done, the state determines how low that office is based on recent qualified sales of property. You just are so determined to be right that you will not listen. This was not, I repeat not Jack Prices reappraisal, he was simply doing his job as determined by State law. I understand property owners frustration, but imagine too the frustration of those that are simply doing there job and being disparaged by the public. You should want people elected to office who do there job according to law, not someone who makes promises they can't keep or shows favortism based on party affiliation. And the public should be able to listen and determine what is fact and what is simply telling someone what they want to hear in order to get elected. You will see the light when the next reappraisal is done and it is done exactly like it was this time. If it isn't the state will come in and do it for him! My county is currently doing a reappraisal and we get calls almost daily form the state office saying you have to change this or do that.
Tax Payer

Knoxville, TN

#20 Jan 12, 2013
If Nashville makes the decions then we Do Not Need the dead horse county assessors to have to pay and keep Armed Guards to protect them.Get reid of them and save the Tax Peyers some money.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rogersville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Missy Testerman 4 hr Worried 1
David Ellis (Apr '12) 9 hr Tiggress 15
Old Pizza Hut building 9 hr Wonderful 4
Vicky the thief 15 hr PeoplesCrazy 18
Real life Hawkins County Snitches 19 hr Need to find out 1
February Wheel Tax Vote 20 hr Disgusted 11
taking a poll/for women 21 hr Johnny RottenTeeth 9

Rogersville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance