foodcity vs walmart only talking abou...

foodcity vs walmart only talking about gorcery wise who is better?

Posted in the Rogersville Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
steve

United States

#1 Sep 4, 2011
?
Greg

Kingsport, TN

#2 Sep 4, 2011
Price wise Wal-Mart has Food City beat by a LONG way on anything that both of them have in stock but FC has a bigger selection of items in stock at their store.
steve

Morrison, TN

#3 Sep 5, 2011
Greg wrote:
Price wise Wal-Mart has Food City beat by a LONG way on anything that both of them have in stock but FC has a bigger selection of items in stock at their store.
True but Walmart they don't help u look for crap they are rude and it's hard moving around In there
voice of reason

Lawrenceburg, TN

#4 Sep 5, 2011
While no one in Walmart has ever been rude to me, I think that FC has a better selection and quality (especially produce and meat). Pricing isn't that different either. However, except for doughnuts, Walmart has the better bakery and deli. Try their corned beef or pastrami.....Yumm!
steve

United States

#5 Sep 5, 2011
voice of reason wrote:
While no one in Walmart has ever been rude to me, I think that FC has a better selection and quality (especially produce and meat). Pricing isn't that different either. However, except for doughnuts, Walmart has the better bakery and deli. Try their corned beef or pastrami.....Yumm!
True but at least FC helps you find everything and help u to your car
Another opinon

United States

#6 Sep 5, 2011
Wal-Mart usually has much fresher bread and buns. They almost always sell cheese and orange juice for less. Food City in the summer often has somewhat fresher and better produce than Wal-Mart but Rogersville Produce often has both stores beat. Food City always has better fresh cut beef if you purchase the USDA Choice grade or the certified Angus brand! Wal-Martís usual best beef grade is the USDA Select grade but Food City has some USDA choice grade and some certified Angus which is the USDA choice grade. Food City also carries some USDA Select grade which should similar to Wal-Mart, so always look at the label. USDA Choice grade is noticeable better than USDA Select grade. Select grade is even less than the USDA Good grade of years ago before the grade name changed and the grade standards were lowered.(The certified Angus has stricter standards than just the USDA grade with the meat being from a breed of cattle known for being tender). Food City seems to often have fresher ground hamburger meat (but look at the estimated fat percentage at both Food City and Wal-Mart). Food City also does well with their choice of poultry, pork, and fish suppliers.
Sad News

United States

#7 Sep 5, 2011
Wal mart sells USDA CHOICE grade meats too! They just don't have a really large selection! They are the meats with the solid black steakhouse label! The black angus thing is a JOKE too! I can't tell a bit of difference in the meat! Maybe its just me but I am not gonna pay 2 or 3 dollars more for the picture of a black cow on the pack.I would bet money that Food City gets their meat from Tyson Foods just like Wal mart! If not it comes from Cargill. The biggest difference is Walmarts is pre packed. Just saying!
Billy Joe Tom Bob

Lenoir City, TN

#8 Sep 5, 2011
Yeah, but which one is the Best Grocerie Stor in the Countie ?!?
steve

United States

#9 Sep 5, 2011
Billy Joe Tom Bob wrote:
Yeah, but which one is the Best Grocerie Stor in the Countie ?!?
Foodcity
Harry

Kingsport, TN

#10 Sep 5, 2011
voice of reason wrote:
Pricing isn't that different either.
The hell it isn't! Anything that both have in stock you can expect the FC price to be quite a bit higher than Wal-Mart is.

As I said though......FC does have a bigger selection.
A BIGGER AND LONGER

Kodak, TN

#11 Sep 5, 2011
Distribution chain hurts WM when it comes to meat and produce. That is the only advantage FC could get because of the quality they have with a shorter quicker supply chain. Other than that WM will have the advantage on price. Gas...both are a rip off...the card crap is just a way to hurt the small dealers and push them out.. But a lot of people still do not use the card or WM would have not jumped to the 10ct off card. Both cards just help keep the price inflated for a lot of people just as the shopping card deals do...which i favor WM because of it..just wish they had stayed away from it on gas. just another way to stick it too the poor and uneducated.
Another opinon

United States

#12 Sep 5, 2011
Sad News wrote:
Wal mart sells USDA CHOICE grade meats too! They just don't have a really large selection! They are the meats with the solid black steakhouse label! The black angus thing is a JOKE too! I can't tell a bit of difference in the meat! Maybe its just me but I am not gonna pay 2 or 3 dollars more for the picture of a black cow on the pack.I would bet money that Food City gets their meat from Tyson Foods just like Wal mart! If not it comes from Cargill. The biggest difference is Walmarts is pre packed. Just saying!
You are correct about some Choice grade beef at Wal-Mart because at about 8:00 P.M. today they had on display 13 packages of beef labeled with a combination Choice and black "Steaktown" sticker. However, MOST of the black "Steaktown" labeled beef was NOT the Choice grade since no where on the package indicated Choice grade and the meat did not show the required marbling to be Choice grade. So Wal-mart is now carrying a few packages of Choice grade and Food City seems to be now carrying more of the Select grade. Also, at this visit, Wal-mart had a few packages of beef labeled as "Angus" but they did not have a single package of "Certified Angus" beef. Huge difference which may explain why you can't tell the difference and were apparently disappointed with the difference in price. The industry hype is that less than one in twelve Angus bred cattle meet all the criteria to be labeled and sold as "Certified Angus". Now some of the meat labeled just "Angus" may be equal to the real "Certified Angus" trademark beef but some of it may be black cattle with a black nose.(For example, I have some 15/16 Limousine cattle that have black hair and a black nose but which are less than 1/16 Angus). Angus is not the only cattle breed that likely has tender meat but some breeds are usually much less tender with the same amount of grain.(There are even differences within different bloodlines of the same breed). Now, you may be correct about the suppliers since over 90 percent of the meat is processed by the four largest packers. However, you are wrong about differences. While the USDA grader only marks carcasses with one of three grades (standard or less shows no grade mark) the packer themselves usually grade (unseen by the consumers and unofficial) put low, medium, and high ratings within the USDA grade and yield grades one thru five. Sometimes a shear test is done for tenderness and the packer knows the feedlot operations where the finished cattle came from and generally the predominant breeds. Therefore, a knowledgeable buyer who knows meat and willing to pay for quality can make a world of differences. Some buyers pick the best carcasses off the rail, buying sides or else buying before they are broke into wholesale cuts (or even prepackaged).
Another thing, I can always very easily tell the difference between USDA Select grade and "Certified Angus". I can always tell the difference between USDA Select grade and USDA Choice grade.(The Select grade is almost never "high" Select). I can sometimes tell the difference between Choice grade and "Certified Angus" especially if the Choice grade happens to be "low" Choice. However, good meat can be easily be ruined by the cook by overcooking.
FC question

Lexington, KY

#13 Sep 5, 2011
why does food city have Valuetime, Food City Brand, and Name Brand? most of the valuetime stuff not very good. The Food City brand is usually OK.
Why not just drop valuetime and give us a better discount on FC Brand? Every dime you save adds up after a while.
Main Street USA

Church Hill, VA

#14 Sep 6, 2011
WalMarts produce is not very good or fresh. You can smell rotten potatoes and the apples are either very mush or very hard from being frozen. Food City rotates their produce thoroughly. The meat at Food City is very fresh as ground many times daily. They also cut/slice meat to the customers specifications. WalMart never does that! Food City has the most personable and knowledgeable staff in their produce and meat department. It is truly a joy to shop there.
King

Cookeville, TN

#15 Sep 6, 2011
I do not care for wm, I always shop food city, reason being cnat get no one at wm to help u find items u need, wm is just nasty, dont care for the way they rearanged the store after the remodeling, just saying FOODCITY all the way, and fc does help u at the checkout they get the groceries out of your cart and then bag them and then put them in your cart and then ask if you want help to your car, that is great coustmer service.
Shopper

Johnson City, TN

#16 Sep 6, 2011
WalMart is never a place where you buy anything perishable, things like meat, fresh veggies, all of it. The stuff is simply too old and too far gone by the time it works through WalMart's distribution chain. And they will ultimately be the big player in offshoring our food production, raw ingredients leave the country, finished goods come back.

When it comes to food that goes in my mouth, it is never about price alone.

Walmart always seems to be hit-or-miss when it comes to having certain brands in stock. Their entire business model it based on forcing the producers to meet their price, and when the producers can't, the shelves go without that brand of product.
George

Alpharetta, GA

#17 Sep 6, 2011
Another opinon wrote:
<quoted text>
However, good meat can be easily be ruined by the cook by overcooking.
There you go .... 90% around here go for well done, and they could be eating donkey and not know the difference!
NO WAY

Knoxville, TN

#18 Sep 6, 2011
George wrote:
<quoted text>
There you go .... 90% around here go for well done, and they could be eating donkey and not know the difference!
They are all into politics in hawkins co.
not really interested

Kingsport, TN

#19 Sep 6, 2011
I do not buy my meat at walmart, or food city, both are very expensive, I buy and do most of my shopping a sav a lot, and some at walmart. but for the best grocery store, I don't like any of the stores around here....
Barbara

Seymour, TN

#20 Sep 6, 2011
Its always about the price with me..If i can get a roast on sale for 6.00 but theyre 12.00 at another store you can bet im gonna get 2 for the same price..Food prices have went up so high recently you have to shop at the place where you can save more money..Would i like to be able to shop Food City yes because i love the fact you can only have to be in line for a few minutes..but when you have to watch your pennies then i go to where i can get the better values..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rogersville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Campaign Spy Money Trail Leads Back To Obama 40 min Bias reporting 5
Stacie Dyke 1 hr Urclueless 16
The Country Owes His Family an Apology 8 hr Pretty poison 2 6
How to get Temporary/Maybe Permament Guardiansh... 9 hr GuardianAngel 1
Most Powerful Sanctuary City Video Ever 10 hr Kingfish 3
Donald Trump is enemy #1 to the US. 10 hr USA 16
Rush Exposes Michelle's Disgusting Past 10 hr Kingfish 3

Rogersville Jobs

Personal Finance

Rogersville Mortgages