Animal Cruelty Case Renews Tethering Debate

Mar 9, 2010 Read more: Fox 8 WGHP 59
A dog that was found dead and chained to a tree has prompted renewed interest in enacting an ordinance against tethering in Guilford County. Read more
Cindy Oakley

Eden, NC

#21 Mar 10, 2010
I live in Guilford County and I am againist any FORM OF ANIMAL ABUSE, NEGLECT, TORTURE, CHAINING, STARVING, BURNING, PROVIDING NO SHELTER, FOOD & WATER, FIGHTING ETC. THE LAWS MUST CHANGE & THE ABUSE MUST STOP! THE LAWS FOR PUNISHING ANIMAL ABUSERS MUST BE MORE SEVERE! People wonder what's wrong with this nation and this kind of abuse and neglect to animals is just the beginning of how & why our children are being kidnapped, raped, tortured, mamed, murdered etc......There needs to be strong deterences in place so these abusers will think twice or stop all together such horrific acts upon our animals and children, human beings in general! "YOU CAN ALWAYS TELL ABOUT A MAN'S HEART BY THE WAY HE TREATS ANIMALS". Thank you.
animallover1

Lexington, NC

#22 Mar 10, 2010
How could a person not realize their dog was dead? Shows how much attention she paid to this dog. He was starved to death. What goes around will come around and no sympathy to you when you get yours lady....And if she cant care for a animal she shouldnt be caring for children....
Panacea

High Point, NC

#23 Mar 10, 2010
Tarheelbrah wrote:
I am writing in defense of Ms. Kanisha Logan. She is a wonderful young woman. She is extremely caring and love children as well as her job. Parents trust her with their children all the time. Each time I see her, she is caring for a different child. She is nothing short of amazing. I wish that most of the discourse about this lady would be acknowledged as speculative and unproven. It is so amazing how people can form opinions and cast stones with so little information about a given circumstance. I am further amazed with the individuals that express so much love and concern for animals, yet lack any compassion or the desire to be understanding for a human being. I am not excusing animal cruelty, but am exposing the inequality and logical fallacy! Some of life's happenings and circumstances are not always controllable.
I ask that you process Ms. Kanisha Logan's case fairly and unbiasedly. And I rest assuredly that her case will be processed aside from any unethical agendas, and with honesty, integrity and transparency.
The issue really isn't that the dog was tethered. The issue is really that the dog had not been fed. A dog doesn't die overnight from starvation. That the dog was starved shows a pattern of neglect that is inexcusable.

I don't care how wonderful she is with kids. If she can't care for her own dog, she doesn't need to be around kids.
AJulian DDB Rep

Reading, PA

#24 Mar 10, 2010
This is one more reason why these laws need to be changed to be more humane and to hold these negligent owners accoutable. Thirteen states have enacted anti-tethering laws and seven more are in the process of writing them into law. Times are different and no dog in this day and age should be chained and owners that are irresponsible and negligent need to pay for the lack of respect they have for a life. There is nothing positive in chaining. And if anyone tells you they do it because they care about the animal is a liar. The requirements are so limited that the Humane Officer and Dog Warden can't do much until it is too late. Thank goodness the neighbor brought this cruel neighbor to the attention of the media. Chaining in todays society is not acceptable. PERIOD!
mindyourownbusin ess

Durham, NC

#25 Mar 10, 2010
Marie Belanger DDB
Indianapolis, IN
I know Kanisha and again you need to mind your business. Obviously by your statements you doing to much. People like you dont have a life. Be easy until you know for sure the real facts. Mind your business. Slandering is a crime you.. But I guess you dont consider that a crime. Be Blessed and know that I will keep you in my prayers and well as the family.
kris

Greensboro, NC

#26 Mar 10, 2010
Here's an idea! We sterilize pets in order to protect them from becoming accidentally pregnant, and to insure our ability to continue to be responsible pet owners. Why don't we apply the same techniques to all these cornfed, inbred, illegal aliens and every other sub-human species in this damn country and cull the herd! If you're too damn stupid to take care of a helpless dog, do the whole world a favor and don't reproduce! While you're at it, why don't you just do me a favor and disappear to whatever septic tank you crawled out of!!
Pam Cheatham

Lithonia, GA

#27 Mar 10, 2010
I hope this case is a wake-up call to anyone who didn't already know that dogs suffer like this every day, all over the country. A very small percentage are reported to authorities, let alone broadcast on TV. Thankfully, through the efforts of Dogs Deserve Better, humane organizations and concerned citizens, many of these dogs who might otherwise end up like Ms. Logan's dog, are helped before it's too late. Dogs can't ask for help when they are chained. Neighbors and communities need to look out for each other and offer help when they see this happening. If help is refused or there isn't an opportunity to help, contact Dogs Deserve Better or another humane organization. It's too bad that we humans can't always do right by our dogs, but that's why we've worked to enact laws to protect dogs, because sometimes the law might be the only way to prevent a dog owner from doing the unthinkable, such as completely forgetting she is responsible for her dog's wellbeing. We all get overwhelmed at times with our work, families, etc. In this case, Ms. Logan might not have forgotten about her dog if her dog lived in the home as a valued member of her family. I just watched Shari's video on the DDB website. I wish someone had noticed this was going on and spoken up about it.
Kathryn Ward

United States

#28 Mar 10, 2010
It is sad that this dog had to suffer a long, lonely, horrible death. I hope Kanisha Logan does not have any children, and if so, hopefully somebody is checking on them. It takes a pretty cold heart to knowingly let any animal starve to death.
Marie Belanger DDB

Indianapolis, IN

#29 Mar 10, 2010
mindyourownbusiness wrote:
Marie Belanger DDB
Indianapolis, IN
I know Kanisha and again you need to mind your business. Obviously by your statements you doing to much. People like you dont have a life. Be easy until you know for sure the real facts. Mind your business. Slandering is a crime you.. But I guess you dont consider that a crime. Be Blessed and know that I will keep you in my prayers and well as the family.
Since this is my business as are all crimes against neglected chained dogs in America. You're the person on here who is being judgemental without information. There is no bad press about me allowing anyone to suffer at my hand and you say I have no life. I can tell you this ... I have known the joy of watching a defeated, starved and broken down dog come to life before my eyes. I have watched as a dog who was neglected at the end of a chain for 10 years learn to trust humans again and witnessed him run and feel the grass under his feet for the first time in a decade and sleep on a soft warm bed beside someone who cared about him. I have seen these same dogs warm the hearts of Children who have never known anyhting but the brutal hand of a violent Father and an unbreakable bond has formed. Innocence and helplessness are the same no matter the species and bringing happiness and purpose to the broken and hopeless is my life.
So I might suggst that you think before you envision what may or not be a worthy "life" to you, Kanisha's dog may well have been the best friend of a Child suffering from some horrible misfortune of life but now we will never know.
Natalie

Bullock, NC

#30 Mar 10, 2010
Tethered dog dies, let's ban tethering-
White car runs over jogger-let's ban white cars...
or better yet, let's ban joggers!
You can pass laws until your face turns blue, and there will never be a law that is obeyed by everyone-I tether my dog to allow her more exercise-I would rather see a dog responsibly tethered than dodging traffic or roaming the neighborhood looking for a fight-
DDB huh?? Didn't somebody that works for your group steal an old tethered dog only to allow it to die?? Wasn't she prosecuted for theft? And then she changed her name-stealing has always been against the law...didn't stop her though, did it???
Marie Belanger DDB

Indianapolis, IN

#31 Mar 10, 2010
Natalie wrote:
Tethered dog dies, let's ban tethering-
White car runs over jogger-let's ban white cars...
or better yet, let's ban joggers!
You can pass laws until your face turns blue, and there will never be a law that is obeyed by everyone-I tether my dog to allow her more exercise-I would rather see a dog responsibly tethered than dodging traffic or roaming the neighborhood looking for a fight-
DDB huh?? Didn't somebody that works for your group steal an old tethered dog only to allow it to die?? Wasn't she prosecuted for theft? And then she changed her name-stealing has always been against the law...didn't stop her though, did it???
Excellent that you brought that up, nope, she doesn't work for DDB she is the Founder. Now that you have opened this door, lets let the people see this and they can decide if there is a difference between rescue and theft. Saving a Life VS Stealing property, and he was a very old dog that you will be able to see by this video, was able to walk pain free and unchained for many months after she stepped up and did the job that PSPCA and police failed to do after numerous calls,:
&fe ature=player_embedded
Yvette Rubery

Rochester, NY

#32 Mar 10, 2010
This is why there needs to be a tethering law enforced in all states. The fact that this dog died while tied to a tree and without food in its stomach is repulsive. I hope she is found guilty and can never own a dog again.
Wheres the compassion

Charlotte, NC

#33 Mar 10, 2010
Panacea wrote:
<quoted text>
The issue really isn't that the dog was tethered. The issue is really that the dog had not been fed. A dog doesn't die overnight from starvation. That the dog was starved shows a pattern of neglect that is inexcusable.
I don't care how wonderful she is with kids. If she can't care for her own dog, she doesn't need to be around kids.
First off, I don't think I said anything about the dog being chained. Tethered is an emotional word with emotional and negative connotations. Let's call it what it is. Had the dog been unchained and attacked a neighborhood child, then the response would be...put her in jail, throw away the key, the dog should have be secured!
The statements of her ability to properly care for children was not directed towards you, it was directed towards the slanderous statements that have been made about her.
And you don't know the circumstance. It has not been proven that the dog died of starvation. The autopsy results said that there were no contents in the animal's stomach. People have been inferring and assuming more than what fact has stated. Don't you think the report would have said starved, it did not, why, because it is circumstantial and ALLEGED!
If dog was sick and would not eat, it's stomach would be empty. I've had plenty of animals that wouldn't eat when they were sick. I've been sick and I'm sure there have been times that you were sick and didn't have no appetite. So if the dog was sick, and wouldn't eat, does that mean she starved him. ABSOLUTELY NOT!
Do you know if the Dog was sick or not? Do you Know if that is actually her dog or not? No
You people are just being ass holes...and forgive my lack of couth i'm just sooooo frustrated with the response to this
My only point is...why do we judge off of so little information?
WHERE IS THE COMPASSION AND FAIRNESS AND UNDERSTANDING THAT WE ALL DESERVE?
What a moron

Charlotte, NC

#34 Mar 10, 2010
Marie Belanger DDB wrote:
<quoted text>
Since this is my business as are all crimes against neglected chained dogs in America. You're the person on here who is being judgemental without information. There is no bad press about me allowing anyone to suffer at my hand and you say I have no life. I can tell you this ... I have known the joy of watching a defeated, starved and broken down dog come to life before my eyes. I have watched as a dog who was neglected at the end of a chain for 10 years learn to trust humans again and witnessed him run and feel the grass under his feet for the first time in a decade and sleep on a soft warm bed beside someone who cared about him. I have seen these same dogs warm the hearts of Children who have never known anyhting but the brutal hand of a violent Father and an unbreakable bond has formed. Innocence and helplessness are the same no matter the species and bringing happiness and purpose to the broken and hopeless is my life.
So I might suggst that you think before you envision what may or not be a worthy "life" to you, Kanisha's dog may well have been the best friend of a Child suffering from some horrible misfortune of life but now we will never know.
SO WHAT ARE YOU DOING ABOUT THE THOUSANDS OF ANIMALS THAT ARE BEING EUTHANIZED EVERYDAY? You want to put someone in jail for having a sick dog die....but hundreds of thousands of animals are left homeless....what don't you Freaking ADOPT THEM ALL JERK

Focus on things of more value...Like America's most valuable good...it's YOUTH....help reshape the mindset of America's Youth and Urban societies....Do something that is really worth wild

Only two things are certain...LIFE and DEATH
WHOdecidesLIFESv alue

Charlotte, NC

#35 Mar 10, 2010
Why is the life of a dog more valuable than that of a chicken, cow, hog?
In some cultures meat is meat and protein is protein? Dogs are fair game...what do we say to these cultures?
my point is simply...GET A LIFE
GSO Phlip

Burlington, NC

#36 Mar 11, 2010
Tamira Thayne wrote:
The Dogs Deserve Better Rep Shari Strader is the one who made the report on this dog...and she did a great job! Did you all know that Kanisha allegedly works at a DAYCARE center? Is that wrong or what? Would you want her taking care of your children? Watch the video on our site at: http://www.dogsdeservebetter.org/kanishalogan...
I would like to personally thank you... If I knew my responses would be edited into them making ME the one who called animal control, I would have asked the reporter to remove herself from my property. They showed up and pretty much ruined my day off. They asked me what I saw and my opinion of it, and that is what they got. Later in the evening, my phone is blowing up "you're on the news" and they have made it into something WAAAY different than what was said.
I know better than to talk to anyone from the news from here on in.
sane laws only

Winston Salem, NC

#37 Mar 11, 2010
Tamira Thayne wrote:
The Dogs Deserve Better Rep Shari Strader is the one who made the report on this dog...and she did a great job! Did you all know that Kanisha allegedly works at a DAYCARE center? Is that wrong or what? Would you want her taking care of your children? Watch the video on our site at: http://www.dogsdeservebetter.org/kanishalogan...
So Shari Strader of Forsyth County is now over in Guilford County trying to take away the option of humane tethering for the residents of Guilford. This issue is about starving an animal, not tethering an animal.
sane laws only

Winston Salem, NC

#38 Mar 11, 2010
Yvette Rubery wrote:
This is why there needs to be a tethering law enforced in all states. The fact that this dog died while tied to a tree and without food in its stomach is repulsive. I hope she is found guilty and can never own a dog again.
This is not about tethering and it does not even look like all the facts are in about whether it was starved or just sick. What is sick is the extremist philosophy of banning tethering for all to "cure" ills that already have laws on the books to deal with them.
Amazed American

Charlotte, NC

#39 Mar 11, 2010
Marie Belanger DDB wrote:
<quoted text>
I happen to kow the woman who videotaped the dog dead after four days and I happen to KNOW that when animal control brought it to her attention that her dog starved to death and had been dead for at least three days Kanisha's response was "WHY DIDN'T SOMEONE TELL ME" Are you implying she forgot her dog was there, do you have any idea how lon it takes to starve to death????? There is NO defense but you're not the one chained by the neck and starving to death ....
Thanks for trepassing!

Maybe it is not her dog. Do you know if she owns the papers to the animal, or if she actually lives there?

The video shows nothing but a expired animal on the chain. Stop being Opportunistic! It is nothing short of emotional appeals, nothing short of emotional appeals--in order to further your personal agenda. The video does not show an empty stomach. The video does not prove that the animal was there for 4 days. The video only proves that the female pit bull, which was LEGALLY CHAINED, was dead. ANYTHING ELSE IS UNPROVEN!
Amazed American

Charlotte, NC

#40 Mar 11, 2010
*Trespassing

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rocky Mount Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Melody Ann Shepherd 1 hr Good deed is puni... 1
Coming from Miami Beach to Hijack your Topix 16 hr ADAM THE MACHO LI... 3
Lauren Mast? Thu hatinonhos 1
News Police seek juveniles in two armed robberies Apr 8 HGF 1
Sick of all this heroin!!! (Apr '14) Apr 2 Carl 29
New to Greensboro Mar 29 Yup 4
Review: King Emergency Locksmith Mar 26 TameraSmith32 1
More from around the web

Rocky Mount People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE