Dog Park Panel Eyed -- Courant.com

There are 20 comments on the Oct 12, 2007, Hartford Courant story titled Dog Park Panel Eyed -- Courant.com. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

Sick of seeing doggy doo on the sidewalk in your neighborhood? Or of going to play baseball in a nearby field and seeing puppies running up and down the perfectly prepared dirt? There is a solution, residents ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
EMMETT

Newington, CT

#1 Oct 15, 2007
I think this is a terriffic idea. The town is getting smaller and smaller for people who want to walk their animals. There is to much traffic and noise to contend with that it is not pleasurable to take walks anymore. I hope the committee will put in a place where the dogs can be have a bath like the Florida dog parks.
Glastonbury Goes Urban

Auburn Hills, MI

#2 Oct 16, 2007
Gastonbury officials have been handing the town over to developers and it's losing its rustic small town appeal. A dog park would be nice since it's somethong that won't be cemented over and it shouldn't bring in anymore traffic. Glastonbury is getting too choked up with traffic and the downtown area is getting too crowded. It's getting to be time to move out.
We need a dog park

Jersey City, NJ

#3 Oct 16, 2007
I am all for it! There are none in the area, or anywhere close to Manchester. I always bring my dogs to the dog parks in Boston and NYC. It's such a great concept. It's really great for the dogs, for both excersize and socialization!
LONGTIME RESIDENT

East Hampton, CT

#4 Oct 16, 2007
move out. We don't want you in town anymore.
Glastonbury Goes Urban wrote:
Gastonbury officials have been handing the town over to developers and it's losing its rustic small town appeal. A dog park would be nice since it's somethong that won't be cemented over and it shouldn't bring in anymore traffic. Glastonbury is getting too choked up with traffic and the downtown area is getting too crowded. It's getting to be time to move out.
WHY

Unionville, CT

#5 Oct 16, 2007
Why I think it's a great idea also as long as the taxpayer without dogs are not paying for it.
Maybe when you pay to license your dog the city can also charge you a hefty fee for the property upkeep and insurance.
Of course only licensed dogs should use the park.
Barb

Hartford, CT

#6 Oct 16, 2007
I don't know about your dog but most will poop on their way to the park. Anyone who is not picking up after their dog without a dog park will continue with that practice. Not to mention, not everyone will use a dog park every day and for every walk that their dog takes. So whatever poop was left will continue to be left. I love the idea of a dog park for socialization but can't imagine it will make a difference in the amount of poop in neighborhoods.
Glastonbury Goes Urban

Auburn Hills, MI

#7 Oct 16, 2007
LONGTIME RESIDENT wrote:
move out. We don't want you in town anymore.<quoted text>
OK "Meriden". Now try growing up.
Glastonbury Goes Urban

Auburn Hills, MI

#8 Oct 16, 2007
LONGTIME RESIDENT wrote:
move out. We don't want you in town anymore.<quoted text>
Where do you live? Welles Village?
Makalo

Marlborough, CT

#9 Oct 16, 2007
This would be great for me and my Rottweiler Diesel to use. Living in Hartford, this would provide a safe and convenient location for exercising him. Does anyone know when it will be opening and the exact location?
Glastonbury Goes Urban

Auburn Hills, MI

#10 Oct 17, 2007
Makalo wrote:
This would be great for me and my Rottweiler Diesel to use. Living in Hartford, this would provide a safe and convenient location for exercising him. Does anyone know when it will be opening and the exact location?
Why don't you ask your people on Harris Street?
Joan

Hartford, CT

#11 Oct 17, 2007
The town should level Harris St. and the others streets surrounding it and put the dog park there.
Glastonbury Goes Urban wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you ask your people on Harris Street?
Glastonbury Goes Urban

Auburn Hills, MI

#12 Oct 17, 2007
Joan wrote:
The town should level Harris St. and the others streets surrounding it and put the dog park there.
<quoted text>
That's a great idea.
Sweet

Hartford, CT

#13 Oct 19, 2007
Great idea, they should have a place to run, play, etc. Luv it!!:)
Stu

Manchester, CT

#14 Oct 19, 2007
I don't think that its dogs that are pooping on peoples lawns and park paths. I think its the residents.

if not, then these slobs should pick up after their dogs! End of story! The town is not responsible for having to build you a dog park that you will be too lazy to drive to anyways.

If these people knew anything, they would know that dogs can be pretty particular about where they sh i mean "do their business." (kind of like people) And they probably will not want to use this new community-can, and instead try to either mount or fight the other dogs in the park at the same time. See what happens when your "all bark, no bite" pitbull or rottie gets off its leash and makes a move at my ridgbacks. At least I wont have to feed them that night.
Oh Boy

United States

#15 Oct 19, 2007
I think it is a great idea. However, I second the motion that dog owners need to be more responsible in picking up poop. it is very gross to have to step over a pile of dog poo on the sidewalk. Having a dog park will not eliminate that issue.
your mom

West Hartford, CT

#16 Oct 19, 2007
Dog parks are wonderful and we definitely need more of them.

I've taken my dog to several area dog parks, and there are rules, such as:

dogs must be licensed

no food (human or dog food)

baggies are provided and each person must pick up after his or her own dog

aggressive dogs must leave the park

bring water if it isn't provided at the park

small dogs have their own area

...and you know what? The dogs and their owners all abide by the rules and everyone gets along. It's a happy time for all, and the parks are very nicely kept up.

Trust me, you can go to any playground in town and see behavior from kids and their parents 1000 worse than anything you'd ever see from the dogs.
your mom

West Hartford, CT

#17 Oct 19, 2007
Ooops! I meant 1000 times worse.
Karen O

United States

#18 Oct 19, 2007
WHY wrote:
Why I think it's a great idea also as long as the taxpayer without dogs are not paying for it.
Maybe when you pay to license your dog the city can also charge you a hefty fee for the property upkeep and insurance.
Of course only licensed dogs should use the park.
Well then in same respect, since I don't have children, I shouldn't be expected to have my tax dollars go to schools, town soccer parks and the like.

I like that idea! I'll pay for my dog and insurance, as long as I don't have to pay for everyone else's kids.

As far as the non responsible dog owners - shame on you for not picking up after your dog. It's disgusting and you make thsose of us who are responsible suffer for your inconsideration.
Karen O

United States

#19 Oct 19, 2007
*those of us*
Sorry for the extra s!
Stu

Manchester, CT

#20 Oct 19, 2007
My fiance stepped in dog crap two nights ago at the Case Mountain parking lot in Manchester.

SLOBS!!!! Surrounded by slobs in this town! You pretend to not realize the dog is doing it. You slobs dont even deserve to own a dog.
Oh Boy wrote:
I think it is a great idea. However, I second the motion that dog owners need to be more responsible in picking up poop. it is very gross to have to step over a pile of dog poo on the sidewalk. Having a dog park will not eliminate that issue.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rocky Hill Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wethersfield woman gangstalked (Sep '09) Apr 11 Anthony Wall 127
News More Apr 8 White Flight 1
News Electrical Problem Causes Underground Explosion... Apr 5 Weha rea 1
Newington Town Hall Building Committee Looks At... Apr 2 Len-M 1
News MySpace In Sex Assault Probe (Feb '06) Apr 1 spen 424
News A Nostalgic Trip Back To The North End's 'Old N... (Jul '09) Mar 30 David_H- 5
Pamela Kowalczyk Mar '15 I need help 1
More from around the web

Rocky Hill People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]