Rocky Hill To Ask Voters For $71.1 Mi...

Rocky Hill To Ask Voters For $71.1 Million In School Construction

There are 45 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Sep 3, 2008, titled Rocky Hill To Ask Voters For $71.1 Million In School Construction. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

4 election ballot, voters will be asked to approve spending $71.1 million to upgrade town elementary schools and build a new school.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

yay

Beacon Falls, CT

#21 Nov 5, 2008
And lest we forget....the head moron....Gilbert. SHE HAS GOT TO GO!!!!!!!!!
Jill from Rocky Hill

East Berlin, CT

#22 Nov 5, 2008
yay wrote:
Now what will the morons who run this town do? Their incompetence is what put us in this position. Watch now as our tax base slowly melts away as parents opt for other towns to move into as alternatives to our declining education system and inept town politicians and managers. Decrepid buildings, poor leadership, declining services, rising taxes, and bad decision-making; incompetent idiots running the town council (LaRosa), school board (MacDonald), recreation department (Zerio), police force, fire department, etc. Time to move!!!!!
Don't pack yet. This Town has many amenities. I am sometimes appalled with some of the absurdity, especially when I see our tax dollars fund special interests, but there is always hope. Rocky Hill is a really great town and even if the powers in charge are sometimes myopic, they seem to act out of love for the town. Trying to please everyone must be a daunting task.
yay

Beacon Falls, CT

#23 Nov 5, 2008
Jill from Rocky Hill wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't pack yet. This Town has many amenities. I am sometimes appalled with some of the absurdity, especially when I see our tax dollars fund special interests, but there is always hope. Rocky Hill is a really great town and even if the powers in charge are sometimes myopic, they seem to act out of love for the town. Trying to please everyone must be a daunting task.
Wow Jill, you are quite the optimist! I am a pessimistic realist. Sad to say, I am rarely disappointed.
AverageJane

Newington, CT

#24 Nov 5, 2008
<quoted text>
Sensible! You should consider running for a seat on the council.
Jill - Thanks for your comment! It made my day.
Jill from Rocky Hill

East Berlin, CT

#25 Nov 5, 2008
yay wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow Jill, you are quite the optimist! I am a pessimistic realist. Sad to say, I am rarely disappointed.
Yay, if I was a betting person, I would say the odds are that it's your turn to be pleasantly surprised!
Jill from Rocky Hill

East Berlin, CT

#26 Nov 5, 2008
AverageJane wrote:
<quoted text>
Jill - Thanks for your comment! It made my day.
Jane, the compliment was sincere. You might consider getting involved assuming you have any spare time. Most of us don't, which is why I don't rag (often) about the volunteers on the council.

I wish someone would make my day.:(

Since: Oct 08

Rocky Hill, CT

#27 Nov 5, 2008
"You're welcome Brian. However, it's just a temporary reprieve. The council will toss this around like a hot potato and settle on some version(s) that will eventually be presented in a special ballot. Voter turn out will be dismal and IMO, some version of this proposal will pass in 2009."

Oh I have been here before. My last battle was in Tolland. Where we lost. Eventually. After 4 times bringing the same bull shit to the table. These are the tactics of the union controlled democratic party. Just keep bring it up until the people tire of the issue. On and on and on they press until no one cares any more. Stinking scum. They force their special interests on the people because their jobs, their stinking corrupt waste and buddy contracts and their pensions depend on it. I am sick and tired of being held hostage by the special interest teacher's union and their cronies. I'll be pounding on doors for the next round. It is personal now. I'm retired now so I have lots of time on my hands. Prepare for battle. I know you will never give up but I will die fighting you.

You parents out there. Take responsibility and pay your own way.
DRS from Rocky Hill

East Berlin, CT

#28 Nov 5, 2008
I am over 55 and feel very badly this did not pass. First it would not have cost the town 71 million, most of those funds would have been paid by the state of connecticut. We moved to Rocky Hill 35 years ago, our children attended the school system and there were senior citizens in town then, paying their fair share of taxes although they had no children in the system, it was now our turn to step up to the plate. We all talk about the importance of education and the quality of education but when it comes time to pay for it, we whine and complain. As far as some of the above comments about town services, if you aren't happy in Rocky Hill, please do us all a favor and move. We pay less in taxes than residents of ANY surrounding town and have more services, Berlin, Glastonbury and others DO NOT have, leave pick up, trash collection, branch and limb collection nor do they have half of the programs Rocky Hill offers its residents, particularly the senior citizens. An intelligent person looks at the whole picture.
Jill from Rocky Hill

East Berlin, CT

#29 Nov 5, 2008
Brian from Rocky Hill wrote:
"You're welcome Brian. However, it's just a temporary reprieve. The council will toss this around like a hot potato and settle on some version(s) that will eventually be presented in a special ballot. Voter turn out will be dismal and IMO, some version of this proposal will pass in 2009."
Oh I have been here before. My last battle was in Tolland. Where we lost. Eventually. After 4 times bringing the same bull **** to the table. These are the tactics of the union controlled democratic party. Just keep bring it up until the people tire of the issue. On and on and on they press until no one cares any more. Stinking scum. They force their special interests on the people because their jobs, their stinking corrupt waste and buddy contracts and their pensions depend on it. I am sick and tired of being held hostage by the special interest teacher's union and their cronies. I'll be pounding on doors for the next round. It is personal now. I'm retired now so I have lots of time on my hands. Prepare for battle. I know you will never give up but I will die fighting you.
You parents out there. Take responsibility and pay your own way.
Brian, it's much easier if you hit "reply" on the upper right hand side of these entries. As far as your last sentence, all of us have been paying and dearly for schools that should not have deteriorated to this point.
Jill from Rocky Hill

East Berlin, CT

#30 Nov 5, 2008
DRS from Rocky Hill wrote:
I am over 55 and feel very badly this did not pass. First it would not have cost the town 71 million, most of those funds would have been paid by the state of connecticut. We moved to Rocky Hill 35 years ago, our children attended the school system and there were senior citizens in town then, paying their fair share of taxes although they had no children in the system, it was now our turn to step up to the plate. We all talk about the importance of education and the quality of education but when it comes time to pay for it, we whine and complain. As far as some of the above comments about town services, if you aren't happy in Rocky Hill, please do us all a favor and move. We pay less in taxes than residents of ANY surrounding town and have more services, Berlin, Glastonbury and others DO NOT have, leave pick up, trash collection, branch and limb collection nor do they have half of the programs Rocky Hill offers its residents, particularly the senior citizens. An intelligent person looks at the whole picture.
We may not have the luxury of State sponsored funds. Look around. Many people are not in a position to afford an additional burden of taxes for upgrades/replacement that should have been a priority long before town hall, police station, docks, parks, etc. were beautified. I agree with your post, but the timing for many of us could not be more wrong.
OMGWTFBBQ

Branford, CT

#31 Nov 5, 2008
I used to live in Rocky Hill and attended Rocky Hill high school.

When it comes to town budgets and what not kids & the schools are always used as pawns. If the town actually cared about kids & schools they would have taken care of the schools first.

Instead they built a new town hall, police station, outside theater and boat launch. That boat launch project was especially funny since they did the work DURING boating season. What a brain trust we have here.

Altho I haven't looked at the population trends I'm willing to bet there won't be a need for bigger schools. People & businesses are leaving this state in droves. We are going to be the next Flint Michigan.

Great job congress critters. You continue to raise taxes on the remaining population to make up for the population that is leaving.

Rocky Hill, CT

#32 Nov 5, 2008
DRS from Rocky Hill wrote:
I am also over 55 but I have the misfortune of still having to earn a living here. Glad to hear you are apparently independently wealthy.
An intelligent person looks at how the money is managed. Not how much money there is. You want money squandered on the wasteful mismanaged school system? Then stop the leaf collections, stop the trash pick up, stop the branch and limb collection and lame senior programs and put that money into the schools. If education is so valuable and you are under the delusion that we are getting our moneys worth then cut some other services to pay for it. Don’t just keep raising the tax on people. I’m not happy in Rocky Hill and I will be more than happy to move as soon as the house I bought is worth what I paid for it. If the values keep going down I’ll just let it go into foreclosure. Isn’t that the “American way”? Give me a bailout. I deserve it.
What you are promoting is a downward spiral of depreciating property value and an economy that drives the young people out because they can’t afford to live here.
I have a number of kids and a bunch of grand kids. Ya know what? None of them live here any more. They can’t afford it. It is high time people stopped thinking about how much it costs to live in “our town” vs what it cost to live in this state. Just because “the state” picks up 20 or 30 or even 40% of the tab doesn’t make it “free”. Corrupt spending, cronies, over priced services, good ol’ boy handshakes putting millions into buddies pockets is why the town can’t get anything done at a reasonable price. Wake up man. It shouldn’t cost 70 million dollars to upgrade a couple of buildings. Any more than it should cost 4 million dollars to put in a couple of docks.

Ya know what there mr senior. Last year my tax burden between the state and the feds and the town was 50 thousand dollars. That’s right 50K. How is your contribution coming? I have a modest home here. I can’t afford a large home because I have to basically support an entire second family I have never met with my meager income. Enough is enough. This spending and waste has got to stop and this is a good place to start.

Rocky Hill, CT

#33 Nov 5, 2008
OMGWTFBBQ wrote:
I
I haven't looked at the population trends I'm willing to bet there won't be a need for bigger schools.
I have. Guess what? The trend is headed down. http://ctsdc.uconn.edu/Educacn/CtSDC_RockyHil...

The party is over people. We are on the down slope.
ricbee

Thompson, CT

#34 Nov 5, 2008
billy wrote:
71 million - isnt that a bit much?
How much is that per citizen of that oppressed land?
ricbee

Thompson, CT

#35 Nov 5, 2008
OMGWTFBBQ wrote:
I used to live in Rocky Hill and attended Rocky Hill high school.
When it comes to town budgets and what not kids & the schools are always used as pawns. If the town actually cared about kids & schools they would have taken care of the schools first.
Instead they built a new town hall, police station, outside theater and boat launch. That boat launch project was especially funny since they did the work DURING boating season. What a brain trust we have here.
Altho I haven't looked at the population trends I'm willing to bet there won't be a need for bigger schools. People & businesses are leaving this state in droves. We are going to be the next Flint Michigan.
Great job congress critters. You continue to raise taxes on the remaining population to make up for the population that is leaving.
Last one out of Corrupticut,please turn out the lights.

Rocky Hill, CT

#36 Nov 5, 2008
ricbee wrote:
<quoted text> Last one out of Corrupticut,please turn out the lights.
Amen bother.

Rocky Hill, CT

#37 Nov 5, 2008
Brother... That is. I missed the "r" key.:)
Jill from Rocky Hill

East Berlin, CT

#38 Nov 6, 2008
ricbee wrote:
<quoted text> Last one out of Corrupticut,please turn out the lights.
Where will we go? I don't know of any town (let alone state) that is thriving.
exrockyhillresid ent

Newington, CT

#39 Nov 6, 2008
This amazes me. Still no solution to the schools that are falling apart. I am so glad we got out of Rocky Hill. In a few years 471 million would have been a bargin.
It is good to know RH wants to build a dog park.
ricbee

East Hampton, CT

#40 Nov 6, 2008
<quoted text>
Where will we go? I don't know of any town (let alone state) that is thriving.
I'm going to Florida-getting a double-wide & spending my days at the beach. I've learned to live on dust.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rocky Hill Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
tennis 🎾 for kids Thu Tats 1
In The War on Police Traffic Stops Have Become ... Aug 26 Culture Auditor 10
News New London Lighthouse Reflects Tastes Of City's... Aug 22 Lives matter 1
News Behind the Suits: McCooe focuses on culture in ... Aug 13 Brainiac of Beaco... 1
News Former Bridgeport Rep Rejects Plea Deal In Frau... Aug '15 American Gentlema... 6
News Child rapist jailed for 15-20 years (Apr '08) Jul '15 John L 87
News Police: Man Strangled Woman In Front of Two Chi... Jul '15 sonya brunelli 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rocky Hill Mortgages