$25M Powerball ticket held by state man

Full story: Connecticut Post

A Newington man has claimed his $25 million Powerball Jackpot prize after picking the winning numbers in Monday's drawing.
Comments
1 - 20 of 22 Comments Last updated Aug 5, 2009
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
pwilson

Trumbull, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2009

Judged:

If you hit the $25 mil.....you should get the $25 mil...less taxes. The state "advertises" the prize as $25 million, not $12.5 mil. So that is what should be paid out.
Government runs the biggest scams.
GreenGreens

Pleasantville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2009

Congrads...
But not a smart man, 3/4 went straight to taxes.Lump sum is the worst option.It goes right back to the state.Feds are happy!
BPT

Waterbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2009

25 million dollar win,took lump sum of 12.5 million. where did other 12.5 million go? after taxes he gets 8.7 million. ok i understand the taxed portion, but where did that other 12.5 go? can someone explain that to me?
pwilson

Trumbull, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2009

Judged:

GreenGreens wrote:
Congrads...
But not a smart man, 3/4 went straight to taxes.Lump sum is the worst option.It goes right back to the state.Feds are happy!
Your not the smart one...12.5 mil is missing from the prize. He paid taxes on 12.5 mil...not 25 mil.
Vigilante

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2009

Taking a lump sum payment is the ideal way of receiving your payout. It's ok to pay the gov't ONCE, not twice.
He should pay off ALL his debt, put $100,000 into a tax free money market and the balance into tax free municipal bonds. That way he avoids ANY further taxation by the leeches we call government.
AVA

Gaffney, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2009

Judged:

Hey I would be happy with 8+ million. If he took it in twenty year payments who knows what would have happened. Good luck to him!
OK_to_lump

Norcross, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2009

Lump is the better option. its a different amount "figure the other 12.5" would of been sort of interest over the many years of payment. 8.7 million is a lot of money.... a greed shall not overcome you.... you can quickly make it grow past the 25mil mark with that much sum in hand.... best wishes
bob

New Rochelle, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2009

When you win the lottery, the winning payout, 25 million, is based on a 20 or 25? year payout. What the Lottery companies do is invest the money over the payout period which addes up to 25 million. So the actual lottery (in money) is 12 million invested in a low risk investment plan over the term of payouts, which after all investment adds up to 25 million. You will still have to pay taxes each and every year you recieve a payment. When you take the 12 million (cash) you can reinvest it yourself and come out making way more then the 25 million. It is all spelled out in the terms of each lottery.
Smith

New Rochelle, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2009

GreenGreens wrote:
Congrads...
Wrong, a smart man will invest it wisely and earn more than he would have received if he took it over time.
pwilson

Trumbull, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2009

pwilson wrote:
<quoted text>Your not the smart one...12.5 mil is missing from the prize. He paid taxes on 12.5 mil...not 25 mil.
Sorry...thought you meant me.
Honest Richard

Waterbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2009

Judged:

pwilson wrote:
If you hit the $25 mil.....you should get the $25 mil...less taxes. The state "advertises" the prize as $25 million, not $12.5 mil. So that is what should be paid out.
Government runs the biggest scams.
You would not write that if you had won. You are a loser.
penguin

Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2009

at least someone in CT won, won't some of the tax money go to the state? It's nice to see someone here win instead of always from some other part of the country. Well don't I wish it was me who won. oh well!
Smith

New Rochelle, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2009

Judged:

Who was it who said "the lottery is a tax on idiots"

Of course, it you hit it, you won't care about people calling you names.
Lady T

Ronkonkoma, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2009

Judged:

good luck, enjoy your riches, dont forget to bless your church, temple or whatever other religion you are!
Bwaa OWell

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2009

$8.7 left out of $25 mil? WTF????
Thats bull shiet
All those taxes to support welfare mamas and lazy illegal immigrants and support a corrupt Govt
V Krishna Kumar

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2009

he smart, he will invest and make over 100 million with it, he will buy many commercial real estate and invest in new bank stock! you are the fool to say to him bad names! go back into your denzins fool of America!
Jack

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2009

Judged:

"The odds of matching the jackpot prize are one in 195,249,054."

What a coincidence; those are the same odds as electing an honest politician!!!!
Sam

North Branford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2009

Judged:

Jack
Very true in Bridgeport and Connecticut.
College

Middle Village, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2009

Judged:

You are all retarted who cares get bent who hoo
GreenGreens

Pleasantville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2009

Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong, a smart man will invest it wisely and earn more than he would have received if he took it over time.
Your "assuming" he will invest.Unless he has a plan,it's tough to argue 1+ mill (pretax) for the next 20yrs.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Rocky Hill Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Rocky Hill People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••