New tax assessments in Rocky Hill.

Posted in the Rocky Hill Forum

Since: Oct 08

Rocky Hill, CT

#1 Nov 22, 2008
Wow! I guess they are expecting to pass that 72 million dollar boondoggle sometime soon.
I just got my new tax assessment. I donít know what planet these morons come from but they cranked up my assessment by 42%!!!! How is that even possible?! If one dweeb in the assessorís office will give me the market value of my OLD assessment they can have this house in a NY minute. They are off their rockers down there. Has anyone told them the prices of houses have DECLINED in the past 2 years? Not to mention they didnít even look inside. Drive-by assessment.
I did some sale price checking over the past 2 years around here and canít even find ONE sale on a comparable house 5% over my old assessment value. This is nuts. Iím calling an agent tomorrow. I can only hope to sell and get out of here before this BS takes effect. Shit_ If I was looking to buy this house and got wind of that bogus assessment I would probably back out of the deal. I pray to God that I can sell for 80% of my old assessment value but Iíll bet it will be tough.

Donít worry I wonít let the door hit me in the ass on the way out. Basically, after these morons are done I wonít have an ass.
broke and disgusted

Newington, CT

#2 Nov 25, 2008
This town is run by crazy people. My assessment went up 35% since LAST YEAR!!!! This is the crooked, unethical way that immoral people like the mayor and town manager cover up their ineptitude. Just over-value everyone's home, and then they can keep the mil-rate low and claim to be doing their jobs while we foot the bill and lose services. Disgusting. And probably illegal!!!!! And they sit there and argue about ethics!!!!
Sportsman

Berlin, CT

#3 Nov 26, 2008
What does the mayor or the town manager have to do with assessment? Last I checked it was the assessor who sets the values in a town during the revaluation process. The most important is that before you open you mouth, make sure you know what you are talking about. Get the facts, do your research. Otherwise you end up sounding like a complete idiot who flies off the handle without knowing what reality is. On the value of your property, go to the assessor's office or go online and find homes similar to yours and see what they sold for before you make inflamatory statements that may not be true. You don't yell fire in a crowded movie theatre, therefore you should not make statements that are not true because of your dislike for certain public officials. Most of all stop whinning.

Rocky Hill, CT

#4 Nov 27, 2008
I know all about how to fight city hall. I'll win as well because their numbers are insane AND the information on the house is wrong. Tax assessment records are public information and you don't even have to go into the office to pull whatever comps you need. I have a list of 10 houses in my area that are larger, newer, have more rooms and have lower assessment values. The problem seems to be an issue of who your buddies are in this town. Pretty obvious on a lot of these numbers. I doubt that I have a good enough case to accuse anyone of out right fraud but I surely have enough to get my number adjusted.

If you can't tell the difference between some one spouting off in an anonymous forum and actually being in the assessors office then it would appear that I am not the one needing a reality check.

I fail to see the connection between yelling fire in a movie theater and making statements about a politician. Can anyone say, "non-sequitur"? Also I don't appreciate being called a liar particularly when the person accusing me offers no evidence to the contrary.
What the -------

Wethersfield, CT

#5 Nov 30, 2008
It is all outrageous! We agree with Brian.

Rocky Hill, CT

#6 Dec 4, 2008
The fight goes on.

The town assessors office informed me that the 'average' increase in value was 30%. Mine when up 42% based on a bogus assessment the last time with incorrect information about my property.(wrong number of room, bathrooms etc)

anyway_ 30% for most of you.. Now let's look at some FACTS instead of corrupt town officials fantasy.

Here is a FACT:
The median sale price of a house today in RH is about 15% more than it was at the time of the last assessment. 15%. Not 30.
http://www.zillow.com/real-estate/CT-Rocky%20...
And the numbers are headed DOWN not up.-8.3% last year and nearly that much the year before. The REALITY is they are driving this boat into the weeds. They will kill this states economy if they don't stop. The average age in this town increases every year. Why? Because young employed people simply can't afford to live here. When the average age reaches 65 how do you think the tax revenue and economy will be?

They have taken the assessment values and detached them from reality because the town needs more money. If our tax assessment are not based on reality then what are they based on? Who you know? The system and powers in local office are out of control. They don't care about reality all they care about is generating more income for the 'town'.

So back to our 30%.. Do you think they will drop the mill rate by 8 or 9 points to make up for that. Noooo... They won't. So every one of you will be looking at a significant tax increase for next year. Mine is probably going to be about 1600 or so. From 4.3K up to 5.9 or so. Where the hell am I supposed to come up with that sort of money.

It is insane. Time for a tea party I think.,
yay

Beacon Falls, CT

#7 Dec 9, 2008
You either are new to town or naive of the corrupt way this town is run. The idiots in charge never talk to the assessor? Ha! They screw up the budget, the schools, the foundry, services, etc, and then when they need to cover their ineptitude, they have a chat with one of their good-old-boys (ie. the assessor) and make sure his assessments are enough to cover their incompetence. Assessments up...milrate down (but not that much)...taxes up...incompetence continues!
Sportsman wrote:
What does the mayor or the town manager have to do with assessment? Last I checked it was the assessor who sets the values in a town during the revaluation process. The most important is that before you open you mouth, make sure you know what you are talking about. Get the facts, do your research. Otherwise you end up sounding like a complete idiot who flies off the handle without knowing what reality is. On the value of your property, go to the assessor's office or go online and find homes similar to yours and see what they sold for before you make inflamatory statements that may not be true. You don't yell fire in a crowded movie theatre, therefore you should not make statements that are not true because of your dislike for certain public officials. Most of all stop whinning.

Since: Apr 09

Rocky Hill, CT

#8 Apr 25, 2009
TIME for a TAX revolt!!! Anyone here have the nerve to start something with this bunch of fools at the town hall?

Time for a Rocky Hill tea party.

Dear Attorney General's office,

What can a person do when the town property tax assessment values are nearly twice the reasonable market value?

In my town of Rocky Hill, after making two appeals to the town my current assessment is nearly 100K dollars over reasonable market value. I am tempted to simply not pay this amount and hire a private attorney and file a law suit against the town. The issue is that I can't be the only one with this problem. I am told by the town assessor that the average value increased by over 30% since the last assessment while the actual market values have increase less than 10%. The fact is that the town can set the mil rate at whatever they want but when they detach the property values from reality the home owner has no course of appeal. This is a dangerous standard that the town of Rocky Hill is attempting to establish. Something is wrong when houses with actual market value well under 200K are being assessed at 300K or more.

Can your office address this issue?

Thank you,

Since: Apr 09

Rocky Hill, CT

#9 Apr 25, 2009
Is there a private attorney out there who would like to get involved with a law suit involving a number of people against the town of Rocky Hill?

I am guessing that I am not alone in this issue. I suspect there are many people out there looking at excessive tax bills based on over inflated evaluations. I put up a web site to sign people up for this. Is any one else pissed off enough to do more than bitch about it on a forum?

Email me at brians.spam@cox.net. I have had enough of being screwed by the good o' boys down at the Rocky Hill town hall.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rocky Hill Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pamela Kowalczyk Mar 22 I need help 1
Review: 100 Percent Martial Arts Feb 26 Jeff N 4
News Mix-And-Match Home Design (Mar '08) Dec '14 William Walker 2
News Hartford Prostitution Stings Leads To 17 Arrests (Sep '13) Sep '14 Anthony Wall 5
News Stratford Woman Wins $100,000 Lottery Prize (Mar '14) Mar '14 Pastor Bob 1
News MCCA: Officials building housing complex(and wa... (Nov '07) Sep '13 Gustavo Stingle 2
News Fire Displaces Residents (Jun '08) Sep '13 Mervin Snowdeal 15
Rocky Hill Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Rocky Hill People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]