Dog dies at groomer, but why?

Jun 18, 2010 Full story: Roane County News 24

Brunswick, a 3-year-old schnauzer, died at L.A. Paws on June 11; Regina Sutton and Lorri Case agree on that.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Ed Case

Antioch, TN

#1 Jun 19, 2010
I think this incident should have been investigated more in debth before this article was released in the paper. This article doesn't say how many years Lorri Case has groomed dogs without any incidents. It doesn't mention all her clients that would stand behind her charcater that knows she would never hurt an animal.
Shear Perfection Pet

Fort Campbell, TN

#2 Jun 22, 2010
Ed Case wrote:
I think this incident should have been investigated more in debth before this article was released in the paper. This article doesn't say how many years Lorri Case has groomed dogs without any incidents. It doesn't mention all her clients that would stand behind her charcater that knows she would never hurt an animal.
I want to clear something up. The incident did not happen at Shear Perfection Pet Salon. There are too many people thinking we did this. We are located downtown Rockwood on Rockwood Street not Gateway. We are getting many phone calls asking us about it. I will not comment on thus subject. I just want people to know it didn't happen here. Fran Martin
pupluv

Paducah, KY

#3 Jun 23, 2010
This woman is not fit to groom dogs at all. She should realize that the dog she is grooming is that persons companion and the love of her life. Accidents can happen at a groomers such as a toe nail clipped a little to short or a bad grooming but NEVER the death of a pet. Shame on you for being so negligent and careless with someone elses pet.
Feel so sorry for her

Knoxville, TN

#4 Jun 26, 2010
My heart breaks for Regina Sutton. I have 4 dogs and two of those are small breed(chihuahuas). My daughter is the typical scared snipping chihuahua and she has a tendency to fight slashing back and forth(I believe Lorri Case called it 'wiggin out') even when I trim her nails with my husband holding her. She is not mean, she is scared!!! If a groomer were not to stop when she was about to hurt herself and caused her injury, I would be out of control livid! That is my baby! Regina I am so sorry that you have had to go through this and I hope justice is served.
Former Roane Countian

Waynesboro, VA

#5 Jun 26, 2010
Is it possible the dog had some medical issues that could have caused this? Just wondering. I'm so sorry for this woman's loss of her beloved dog (I have a couple that I love dearly myself), but I'd hate to see the groomer vilified for something that may not have been her fault either. This should really be investigated to determine who, if anyone, is at fault.
Not from Roane County

United States

#6 Jun 28, 2010
I know Regina and she told me the woman didn't even want to tell her Brunswick was dead ... she first told her she didn't know where the dog was. There is more to the story, but this Lorri Case should be put out of business. Please do not take your animal to her.
Lorri Case

Antioch, TN

#7 Jun 29, 2010
I am the groomer in question here and my busines is L.A. Paws on gateway ave. I hate this tragedy happened but I did not kill Brunswick. He died in my shop in an exercise pen awaiting return to the owner after a very difficult attempt at grooming him. He was very badly matted and very infested with fleas and he was very upset when Mrs. sutton left him. She saw how upset he was on the leash and told me he was scared but would be fine. He only got more upset as I tried to groom him so I stopped the grooming and put him in a pen to call his mom. I assisted a couple of clients before calling mrs sutton but before i could call her he had died. It was less than 10 minutes from the time i placed him in the pen. Animal control was out and investigated but no blame was placed. I also own two dogs and i know how upset i would be, why would i harm someone elses companion. If i could go back i would have not kept him at all. He was very stressed out and i should not have kept him and even tried to groom him. Mrs. Sutton had told me she couldn't bathe him because he bit her, which was another sign I should have let a vet. handle this pet.I can't go back in time so I have this cloud over me forever.
The statement that I tolds Mrs. Sutton I didn't know where Brunswick was is absolutely not the truth. My son and granddaughter were both with me at the shop that day and they know exactly what I said. They also know I didn't kill Brunswick. There were two ladies that had come in and they saw how badly upset Brunswick was they also heard mrs sutton tell me he would be fine. They saw how badly matted he was. Grooming such a matted dog is very stressful for the dog as well as the groomer. I wish I had never kept him. My clients all know that i would never kill anyones pet. My character is in question here but I know people that know me, know I would never do such a horrible thing.
sorry it happened

United States

#8 Jun 30, 2010
This can be looked at in a different matter. If the dog was that matted and flea infested, then I call that animal abuse. The groomed has a right to report it. Instead she felt for the dog. Grooms aren't responsible for how the dog reacts. The former in get eyes was trying to help the dog feel better. Why if someone that says they love their pet so much.? They didn't take better care. I wonder how the dog slept in the bed with the owner. A matted log with fleas are not clean .Waite, if you bathe a matted dog and not brush it you are at fault. Did you ever think that if you took better care if the dog. With regular grooms. Yes, honey your baby would be useto ut. Then it would be a hassle to get on with your grooner. I say stop abusing your and have them groomed every 6 weeks , use flea control. Have them fixed, they live longer lives. Brush them every day show them you care. Don't just say it. Would you treat your child this way and not bathe or brush their hair for 6 months or even more? So shame on you too!

d and not brush
Snowy River

AOL

#9 Jul 4, 2010
Lorri Case wrote:
I am the groomer in question here and my busines is L.A. Paws on gateway ave. I hate this tragedy happened but I did not kill Brunswick. He died in my shop in an exercise pen awaiting return to the owner after a very difficult attempt at grooming him. He was very badly matted and very infested with fleas and he was very upset when Mrs. sutton left him. She saw how upset he was on the leash and told me he was scared but would be fine. He only got more upset as I tried to groom him so I stopped the grooming and put him in a pen to call his mom. I assisted a couple of clients before calling mrs sutton but before i could call her he had died. It was less than 10 minutes from the time i placed him in the pen. Animal control was out and investigated but no blame was placed. I also own two dogs and i know how upset i would be, why would i harm someone elses companion. If i could go back i would have not kept him at all. He was very stressed out and i should not have kept him and even tried to groom him. Mrs. Sutton had told me she couldn't bathe him because he bit her, which was another sign I should have let a vet. handle this pet.I can't go back in time so I have this cloud over me forever.
The statement that I tolds Mrs. Sutton I didn't know where Brunswick was is absolutely not the truth. My son and granddaughter were both with me at the shop that day and they know exactly what I said. They also know I didn't kill Brunswick. There were two ladies that had come in and they saw how badly upset Brunswick was they also heard mrs sutton tell me he would be fine. They saw how badly matted he was. Grooming such a matted dog is very stressful for the dog as well as the groomer. I wish I had never kept him. My clients all know that i would never kill anyones pet. My character is in question here but I know people that know me, know I would never do such a horrible thing.
Lorri, I have a small dog and normally bathe her at home. I asked a guy one day who would be a good groomer to take her to and he said you, that his aunt and uncle always bring their dogs to you and you were a terrific groomer.
I am so very sorry for the lady's loss, as I know how I would feel if it were mine. However, mine would never be matted or flea infested. We have a daily routine of her getting her hair done.:) She has even calmed down( I've had her 3 yrs.) when I do her nails. Although she would never get upset enough to think of biting when I did it, she would just get anxious and shake a little. I learned to do a few at the time and now she thinks nothing of it.
I do have one question. Was the place where the dog was put inside the building or outside?
People need to learn to take better care of their fur babies. They can't do stuff by themselves and people shouldn't expect them to or put off taking them to be groomed. If the lady knew the dog was that upset she should have taken him home and brought him back at another time. Sometimes it takes animal's time to get used to strange places. We wouldn't take our toddler somewhere strange and just drop it off and it crying and say I'll be back later. He/She will calm down.So why would someone do a beloved pet that way?
If I need a groomer I won't hesitate to use you because of this. I think the dog had to be sick when it got there. A healthy dog isn't matted, flea infested and will not try to bite when you cut it's toenails. It seems this dog wasn't attented to very much and that's really sad. Like I said I am very sorry for the owner of the dog, but maybe if she has other dogs she will take the time to brush them at least once a week. It's very good for their skin and is a stress buster, too.
My thoughts will be with you both, but I don't like you getting a bad rap for something that was out of your control.
lovemy dogs

Decatur, TN

#10 Jul 6, 2010
It is very unfortunate what happened at LA Paws. Let me tell you about my experience with not only them , but other groomers in the area. The first place I took my 2 shih tzus to was Cynthia's in Harriman, they did a good job , but my girl dog pitched a fit when I took them back, at her vet visit in between, it was discovered that her eye had been punctured with scissors. So I had to find a new one, I tried LA Paws, when I walked in I almost walked out, it was scary looking, in the back of a cabinet shop, and just dirty looking. But, I left them anyway. My girl dog had a hot spot on her that we had been treating, yet I was told by the staff at LA PAWS that she had been neglected. Anyone who knows me and my dogs, know that I take as good of care of them as I do my child ( my child jokes, even better) I was just not pleased with the whole experience, they were gapped, and had clipper burns in a couple of places. Then I found SHEAR PERFECTION-Fran Martin, this woman is a dream come true! She sings to them and talks to them and loves them like her own, and she is completely licensed in all aspects of grooming. I will forever take my babies to her and recommend her to everyone. I am sure that incidents occur in alot of groomers, and I am so sorry to Brunswicks owners. I would be devastated. LA PAWS didnt kill Brunswick, they just neglected his well being. They also claim to train obedience, are they licensed for this? I know someone that the first night gave their fee back, because they couldnt do anything with that little bitty chiuaua. And too, why if this dog was in that bad of shape, did they not go ahead and tell the owner they wouldn't be able to deal with it? I have never used SWEET PAWS, but I here Marilyn is really good with animals too and she has bathing stations where you can bathe them yourself. I am not 'bashing' LA PAWS per se, I am just telling you about my experience with them.
Lorri Case

Brentwood, TN

#11 Jul 16, 2010
Snowy River wrote:
<quoted text>
Lorri, I have a small dog and normally bathe her at home. I asked a guy one day who would be a good groomer to take her to and he said you, that his aunt and uncle always bring their dogs to you and you were a terrific groomer.
I am so very sorry for the lady's loss, as I know how I would feel if it were mine. However, mine would never be matted or flea infested. We have a daily routine of her getting her hair done.:) She has even calmed down( I've had her 3 yrs.) when I do her nails. Although she would never get upset enough to think of biting when I did it, she would just get anxious and shake a little. I learned to do a few at the time and now she thinks nothing of it.
I do have one question. Was the place where the dog was put inside the building or outside?
People need to learn to take better care of their fur babies. They can't do stuff by themselves and people shouldn't expect them to or put off taking them to be groomed. If the lady knew the dog was that upset she should have taken him home and brought him back at another time. Sometimes it takes animal's time to get used to strange places. We wouldn't take our toddler somewhere strange and just drop it off and it crying and say I'll be back later. He/She will calm down.So why would someone do a beloved pet that way?
If I need a groomer I won't hesitate to use you because of this. I think the dog had to be sick when it got there. A healthy dog isn't matted, flea infested and will not try to bite when you cut it's toenails. It seems this dog wasn't attented to very much and that's really sad. Like I said I am very sorry for the owner of the dog, but maybe if she has other dogs she will take the time to brush them at least once a week. It's very good for their skin and is a stress buster, too.
My thoughts will be with you both, but I don't like you getting a bad rap for something that was out of your control.
He was inside the building in an exercise pen. There was no heated dryers blowing on him. I don't even use heated blowers.
There are so many lies going around about what happened and I hate so bad that my reputation is at steak here. I hate Brunswick died, I truly do, but it wasn't something I did.
Mytwocents

Knoxville, TN

#12 Jan 22, 2011
I guess all the mess with little Brunswick did cause the shop to get closed, as it appears to be gone now. I used LA Paws a lot for my little baby and never had any problems. I don't believe that the LA Paws owners killed that dog, don't believe that anything she did caused the dogs death - however, the one thing I could not get out of my mind was that they didn't pay for an autopsy to find out why the dog died. If I owned the shop - I would have done that just to clear my name. I would have also wanted to know why, it would have killed me for the dog to have died in my care.

It is scary to me to leave my baby with anyone. I now use Sweet Paws and they seem very loving and one thing I really like is that they don't mind me going back where they do the grooming.

I tried the lady downtown, she was great with my baby, but she was nasty to me for no good reason - so I won't go there again.

Just like babysitters - it's always scary to leave your "baby" with someone you do not really know.
so true

Knoxville, TN

#13 Jan 22, 2011
sorry it happened wrote:
This can be looked at in a different matter. If the dog was that matted and flea infested, then I call that animal abuse. The groomed has a right to report it. Instead she felt for the dog. Grooms aren't responsible for how the dog reacts. The former in get eyes was trying to help the dog feel better. Why if someone that says they love their pet so much.? They didn't take better care. I wonder how the dog slept in the bed with the owner. A matted log with fleas are not clean .Waite, if you bathe a matted dog and not brush it you are at fault. Did you ever think that if you took better care if the dog. With regular grooms. Yes, honey your baby would be useto ut. Then it would be a hassle to get on with your grooner. I say stop abusing your and have them groomed every 6 weeks , use flea control. Have them fixed, they live longer lives. Brush them every day show them you care. Don't just say it. Would you treat your child this way and not bathe or brush their hair for 6 months or even more? So shame on you too!
d and not brush
This is so true, if you love your pet so much why was it so matted and have so many fleas? this lady was onl.y trying to help you, she didnt kill your baby, she was only gnna help, you never should have left your baby if it was so upset.
cutesy

Strawberry Plains, TN

#14 Jan 22, 2011
I don't usually comment on this topic website but I have personally talked to the owner of the dog, and I'm not saying that she was telling the truth because their r two sides to each story ..........Well I actually talked to the owner of the dog and she told me and my boyfriend that she dropped off the dog and went to work and told the groomer that when her dog was ready to call because she didnt like to leave the dog for a long time. And she said she had enough time to make it back to work and the groomer called and was like i cant groom your dog and she said I'll come and pick him up and the groomer said no just come pick him up when you get off work and she said know I'm going to take him somewheres else and said I'll be their In a minute. when she went to go pick up the dog the groomer told her that she couldn't find the dog, and her and the groomer looked for the dog for 10 minutes before the groomer told her that the dog was dead!!! And when she asked how he died she wouldnt tell her. And the owner of the dog also told me, i cant remember if it was the groomers son, daughter, nephew had slapped the dog off the table because it had bitten the groomer...

I really hope the dog died of natural causes.. I have taken my dog to la paws many of times and never really had a problem with them other than prices changing and not being informed prior to the grooming.. And also one other time it was snowing and I had an appointment and I got down their and their was like 3 other people standing out side and their was a note on the door that said she was closed due to bad weather. She never called and told us that she wasn't going to be their
cutesy

Strawberry Plains, TN

#15 Jan 22, 2011
Again I'm not saying it was the groomers fault but if it was me and I was the groomer I would have got a autopsy. I would have wondered why this dog died in my care!!!! I feel bad for what the owner and groomer have had to go through, but I still think that an autopsy should have been mandatory
doglover

Seabrook, TX

#16 May 7, 2011
I am so sorry for your loss. My 14 year old shitzu died after going to CREATED BY HAND in Friendswood TX. She came home bleeding. They claimed she had a urinary tract infection. When my husband picked her up she was in a diaper becuase the blooding was so bad. She started passing out too several times followoing this. Our vet took one look at her privates and said they cut and burned her. Her heart could not take it and she suffered. He felt she had been traumatized. When I told the groomer what he told us she was didnt believe me and was rude about it. She still continues to deny she cut my dog. I don't know how I can ever trust a groomer again. I have pasted an emial she wrote me too. I only talked to her on the phone once following this incident. I decided I should write a review to warn others. My dog was not matted, but her face needed trimming. I didn't want to hurt her so I took to the groomer, but unfortunatley the groomer did the worst for her. Sadly it seems the groomer thinks this is funny as well.
5/4/2011
At this point it has come down to receiving harassing emails from the owner. The fact of the matter is the dog was cut and burned. She was treated by the vet for this. The fact is I am a consumer and have the right to share my experience. I am saddened by the lack of professionalism and treatment. Yes Amie I have taken my dog to the vet! Please stop harassing me. Pet owners it is up to you if you want to go this business or not. I felt I should share what happened to our dog. Again, please stop harassing me. I have not called you and harassed you. I have only written what happened. I have proof to back this up so please do not push this. My entire family has been traumatized by this. Please stop!!!
Amie F.
Block User
55 minutes ago
Tammy have you had your dog at a respectful vet, in the last year. Dogs that age should go to the vet at least every 6 months. Just like us we grow old and have to see doctors too. Has your dog been on medication for the heart condition? If you had a heart condition I know you would be on them. Do you know how to diagnose an urinary tract infection? If you do then you would know your dog needed to be on medication for that too!!! I understand the loss of a beloved pet is hard but sometimes you need just to grieve instead of verbally abusing others.
Tammy S.
10 minutes ago
Please stop these harassing emails before I have to pursue further action. I have every right as a consumer to report my experience. I have a vet statement that you cut and burned her vagina. Yes, she has seen a vet. She did not have a diagnosed heart condition until she was taken to the vet for her cut and her sudden passing out from this experience. It is your choice to believe this or not. Again, stop harassing me with these emails. I find them threatening and will pursue other actions if necessary.
People thought this was:
Useful (2) Funny (2)
Apperantly the groomer finds it funny that my dog died.
shear perfection

Knoxville, TN

#17 May 8, 2011
Mytwocents wrote:
I guess all the mess with little Brunswick did cause the shop to get closed, as it appears to be gone now. I used LA Paws a lot for my little baby and never had any problems. I don't believe that the LA Paws owners killed that dog, don't believe that anything she did caused the dogs death - however, the one thing I could not get out of my mind was that they didn't pay for an autopsy to find out why the dog died. If I owned the shop - I would have done that just to clear my name. I would have also wanted to know why, it would have killed me for the dog to have died in my care.
It is scary to me to leave my baby with anyone. I now use Sweet Paws and they seem very loving and one thing I really like is that they don't mind me going back where they do the grooming.
I tried the lady downtown, she was great with my baby, but she was nasty to me for no good reason - so I won't go there again.
Just like babysitters - it's always scary to leave your "baby" with someone you do not really know.
So tell me why was I rude to you for no good reason. Come on now speak your peice. And tell me your real name.
pitbull lover

Cullowhee, NC

#19 May 12, 2011
god leave this groomer alone i have a pitbull and no one would take him but he is the sweetest thing leave her alone if the lady loved her dog that much he would have been taken better care of to owner of the dog stop going on with this and move on with your life you should be locked up for animal abuse for letting that sweet dog get that bad not to mention obviously you didnt take care of him cause he didnt like you enough not to bite you when you gave him a bath idiot !!!!!!! To the groomer Im behind you one hundred percent !!!!!!!!!!
Tina

Knoxville, TN

#20 Jul 8, 2011
shear perfection wrote:
<quoted text>
So tell me why was I rude to you for no good reason. Come on now speak your peice. And tell me your real name.
My name is Tina. My dog's name is Bo. I came into your shop one Saturday to see if you could groom Bo that day - and you responded very rudely about you being too busy and why didn't I call and make an appointment in advance.(I don't recall your exact words, but that is basically what you said).
I had just dropped in to see if you could, as I travel a lot for work, and rarely have time to make personal calls during the week until late in the evening - and you usually were closed by that time.
I felt that you could have been nice about it. All you had to say is, "I'm sorry, I am all booked up for this weekend" and I would have then set an appointment with you for the next weekend or even the one after that. Once you spoke to me like you did - I wasn't about to set an appointment with you.
Shear Perfection

Nashville, TN

#21 Sep 4, 2011
Tina wrote:
<quoted text>
My name is Tina. My dog's name is Bo. I came into your shop one Saturday to see if you could groom Bo that day - and you responded very rudely about you being too busy and why didn't I call and make an appointment in advance.(I don't recall your exact words, but that is basically what you said).
I had just dropped in to see if you could, as I travel a lot for work, and rarely have time to make personal calls during the week until late in the evening - and you usually were closed by that time.
I felt that you could have been nice about it. All you had to say is, "I'm sorry, I am all booked up for this weekend" and I would have then set an appointment with you for the next weekend or even the one after that. Once you spoke to me like you did - I wasn't about to set an appointment with you.
I am sorry if I seemed to be rude. I am not a rude person. I was having health problems. Was very sick that day the results were. Had to have an operation. Sometimes we end up doing things that we normaly don't do when pain hits us.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rockwood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
JOSH COX in TDOC!!?? (Nov '11) 1 hr elves 26
Donald Goldberg (Jun '11) 3 hr Sherry 42
That Lying No Good Kira Penry 3 hr New York Eyes 5
Last Respects-Tony Clough- Please do NOT leave ... 4 hr Sherry 23
**Keep A Word ~ Drop A Word** (Jun '12) 5 hr _Zoey_ 1,008
any info about Kim Turpin? 7 hr unknown2752 1
eric kelly Dec 23 meantail 7
Rockwood Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web