Low flying planes almost barely missi...

Low flying planes almost barely missing my house!

Posted in the Rockwood Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
snowgurl1953

Lakemont, GA

#1 Jul 21, 2011
I need to find out who the person is flying that plane over my house so low he is almost right on top of it,this happens a lot he came over one night about 10 with the landing gear down,from the way he sounded he was going to land but rockwood airport doesnt know anything about it,every time they come over they are just over the top of my house,they came over this morning again,i dont care who it is stop buzzing the top of my house i dont care if you are from the airport or military.i called and talked to someone at the airport in rockwood and they told me to check with mghee tyson why would i ask them about a plane that is almost on my house and sounds like it has the landing gear down fixing to land,wouldnt rockwood have a flight plan of all planes landing close by,i have also left a messege with the city,whoever is flying that plane is dangerous,it needs to be checked out it happens between 10 and 10;30 pm and this morning between 10 and 11 am,this person flying this plane is dangerous he barely misses my house
iknowit

Oak Ridge, TN

#2 Jul 21, 2011
Saw the plane last night myself.Was flying low and buzzed around my neighborhood 3 times.
Anonymous

Knoxville, TN

#3 Jul 21, 2011
Shoot at it a couple times and they will stop !
T-Bone

Fort Campbell, TN

#4 Jul 21, 2011
Where is it flying at, where is your house?
Yikes

United States

#5 Jul 22, 2011
I heard there was a loud plane that flies low to stay under the radar because it carries illegal drugs and dumps them off somewhere on the plateau. Maybe try to get numbers off it or something? Keep track of times it flies over. I have seen this plane too. I dont know if there is any truth to it--just what I heard.
Concerned

Knoxville, TN

#6 Jul 22, 2011
Another reason to give our Airport Manager a BIG RAISE.

“The Blaze is my Hero”

Since: May 07

Mother Russia

#7 Jul 24, 2011
Is this a large plane, bigger than your average? if so its the same one that passes over us here in Morgan co. It not a private plane, if its the same one its the air natl. guard doing low altitude maneuvers. I know a guy in the ANG and he said they do that a lot. You should see the USAF jets over Campbell co!!
Police

United States

#8 Jul 25, 2011
It's us. We looking for your plants.
Good ol Pine Orchard Girl

Charlotte, NC

#9 Jul 25, 2011
The low flying planes fly over our house and go so low it almost shakes the windows out of the house. They fly low to be under radar, and at night so they can't be identified. It is drug planes, they land and take right back off @ the Rockwood Municipal Airport, we sit on our front porch and watch it land and immediately take back off. They drop off their illegal cargo and are back in the air within minutes. The people working at the airport are not going to admit to anything going on, I am sure their bank accounts would tell a different tale though. That airport sits in three different counties, Roane, Morgan, and Cumberland all of whom I am sure have people in their sheriff departments that know what is going on but are well compensated to look the other way! I personally thing there needs to be a federal investigation!!!
jzim

Rockwell, NC

#11 Aug 2, 2011
Yea it keeps waking me up to
avi8tor

Harriman, TN

#12 Aug 4, 2011
The plane is a military cargo plane(Lockheed C-130)that is practicing low level radar avoidance manuevers. The military trains its aircrews to be able to fly supplies for our troops into hostile areas in such manner. The radar operators try to spot the plane and the plane tries to not be detected. Much easier to do this type of training over home airspace than in a combat situation. Its simulating the enviroment without risking an aircraft or aircrew. So its not a drug plane, that myth is so not true, and to the genius that suggested shooting at it.... well do you realize that you do 85% of a federal prison sentence before even being considered for parole???? 85% of twenty years is a long time. You can bet that the full weight of the government would be used to find anyone who would be dumb enough to shoot at that plane. That's a United States Air Force military aircraft you idiot.

Since: Feb 11

Santa Clara, CA

#13 Aug 5, 2011
avi8tor wrote:
The plane is a military cargo plane(Lockheed C-130)that is practicing low level radar avoidance manuevers. The military trains its aircrews to be able to fly supplies for our troops into hostile areas in such manner. The radar operators try to spot the plane and the plane tries to not be detected. Much easier to do this type of training over home airspace than in a combat situation. Its simulating the enviroment without risking an aircraft or aircrew. So its not a drug plane, that myth is so not true, and to the genius that suggested shooting at it.... well do you realize that you do 85% of a federal prison sentence before even being considered for parole???? 85% of twenty years is a long time. You can bet that the full weight of the government would be used to find anyone who would be dumb enough to shoot at that plane. That's a United States Air Force military aircraft you idiot.
It's funny how people always think everything has to do with drugs. I completely agree though. They'd get charges for everyone in the plane chances are and then the plane itself. Which is worth more than most people make in half their lifetimes. I think the person who made the comment did it jokingly I'm sure. I think I spotted that plane out in Rhea Co. It was one flying extremely low. I seriously thought it was crashing and stopped the car on the size of the highway.
Plane killer

Elizabethtown, KY

#14 Aug 7, 2011
T-Bone wrote:
Where is it flying at, where is your house?
T-bone has the right ideal shoot at it a couples times it will stop :)
Snowgirl53

Earl, NC

#15 Aug 10, 2011
avi8tor wrote:
I really dont care if its air force one it has no right to almost sit down on my house anyone in their right mind would be scared out of their mind who saw what happened to the twin towers in new york accidents do happen and that is a little too close for my comfort,they whoever they are are putting my life and my family's lives in danger,im sure they can find some other place to train if it is military,a person does have a right to protect their property and life and they are clearly putting mine in danger,they have other places to train it should not be in a residential area
Low flying planes

Clearfield, PA

#16 Aug 11, 2011
We'll get you next time.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#17 Sep 2, 2011
snowgurl1953 wrote:
I need to find out who the person is flying that plane over my house so low he is almost right on top of it,this happens a lot he came over one night about 10 with the landing gear down,from the way he sounded he was going to land but rockwood airport doesnt know anything about it,every time they come over they are just over the top of my house,they came over this morning again,i dont care who it is stop buzzing the top of my house i dont care if you are from the airport or military.i called and talked to someone at the airport in rockwood and they told me to check with mghee tyson why would i ask them about a plane that is almost on my house and sounds like it has the landing gear down fixing to land,wouldnt rockwood have a flight plan of all planes landing close by,i have also left a messege with the city,whoever is flying that plane is dangerous,it needs to be checked out it happens between 10 and 10;30 pm and this morning between 10 and 11 am,this person flying this plane is dangerous he barely misses my house
First off if you "really" want to know who it is, you need to get the registration number painted on the side of the aircraft. It is there, it may not be very big or visible, if there is no visible registration number then it is probably involved in some kind of illegal activity. Once you have the numbers/letters (all aircraft registered in the USA start with N) there is the FAA Database you can input those numbers. It tells more info than you probably care to know. Type of aircraft and who the owner/corporation is. Then you need to google and find the phone# to the Nashville Flight Standards District Office. That's the local FAA Office and ask to speak to an Ops Inspector about a low flying aircraft. The more info you have the more willing the Inspector will be to help. All of the Inspectors I know have told me stories of some really off the wall calls they have received over the years. Usually there is a logical explanation. If you just call and complain without some verifiable information the Inspector will probably not be very willing to help.

Where in Rockwood do you live? There is a Military Training Route IR2 that begins North of Rockwood Airport up near Lancing. Another explanation is maybe a neighbor is a pilot that lives near you and is flying his airplane in and out of a grass strip and could be over flying your house.

As for Rockwood Airport Management not having a flight plan on aircraft...their job is to manage the airport and sell fuel/services to pilots. If the aircraft is opearted under Visual Flight Rules(VFR) then no flight plan is even required. Whoever suggested calling McGhee Tyson was saying to call the FAA Air Traffic Control Tower. They are the local facility that has Radar coverage.(50 miles +/- of McGhee Tyson Airport) They may or may not have seen them on Radar. They probably wouldn't have seen them as again the offending aircraft is not required to communicate with them. They only communicate and see on Radar those aircraft that are on Instrument Flight Rules(IFR) or passing through the Knoxville Class C Airspace.

Whoever suggested shooting at the airplane, I would recommend not to do that. It is a Federal Offense. With the technology available today (GPS) the Pilot can log the Lattiude/Longitude of where the shots came from and you may get a visit from the Department of Homeland Security as well as the FAA. Since 9/11 the Safety and Security of Aviation has been increased. There have been people prosecuted for shining laser pointers at aircraft.

I know back when I owned a single engine airplane I use to do some low passes (approx 1000 ft above the surface) with old high school friends and famiy who still live in Rockwood so they can see their houses.

If the offending aircraft is truly operating illegally then they need to be stopped. It makes the rest of us Pilots and the Aviation Community look bad!

Hope this info helps?!
fukdapopo

United States

#18 Sep 10, 2011
Police wrote:
It's us. We looking for your plants.
Keep looking fools! ;)
fukdapopo

United States

#19 Sep 10, 2011
Good ol Pine Orchard Girl wrote:
The low flying planes fly over our house and go so low it almost shakes the windows out of the house. They fly low to be under radar, and at night so they can't be identified. It is drug planes, they land and take right back off @ the Rockwood Municipal Airport, we sit on our front porch and watch it land and immediately take back off. They drop off their illegal cargo and are back in the air within minutes. The people working at the airport are not going to admit to anything going on, I am sure their bank accounts would tell a different tale though. That airport sits in three different counties, Roane, Morgan, and Cumberland all of whom I am sure have people in their sheriff departments that know what is going on but are well compensated to look the other way! I personally thing there needs to be a federal investigation!!!
Now that you've made it public instead of taking matters into your own hands while u had the chance, I'm sure they will just change drop off locations and keep in truckin
sarah

Hendersonville, TN

#21 Jun 27, 2012
i was taking my kids to tennis one day when a large, green, WWII looking plane flew over us dangerously, just missing the trees 75ft above us. There was no fire or smoke rising form where it would have crashed, traveling into the downtown part of my city. I called the cops to find out if they have herd anything, but they claimed to get no reports of anything going wrong!!
rock

Kingsport, TN

#22 Jul 2, 2012
i have seen the same plane that sarah is talking about over hampton tennessee very old large ww11 plane flying just over the tree lines

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rockwood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
clint redwine 8 min Dyanne 24
humphrey family 5 hr set out the trash 3
does anyone know Erica Howe???? (Jun '11) 6 hr Des jr 32
Who got hit by a train? 15 hr WTF 12
Catharine Roberts Townsend (boo) Mon cornocopia60 2
melissa Waldrop Jones Mon Greg jones 6
working at cracker barrel (Sep '11) Sun cornocopia60 68
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rockwood Mortgages