Court of the Judiciary Reprimands Roa...

Court of the Judiciary Reprimands Roane County Judge

There are 15 comments on the www.tsc.state.tn.us story from May 9, 2009, titled Court of the Judiciary Reprimands Roane County Judge. In it, www.tsc.state.tn.us reports that:

The Tennessee Court of the Judiciary has reprimanded Roane County's General Sessions Court Judge Dennis W. Humphrey for depriving a defendant of his freedom.

In a letter to Judge Humphrey, the panel says Humphrey wrongly found Darrell K. Pearson in contempt of court and ordered him incarcerated until he paid $5,000, even though there was no legal basis for the punishment.

The written reprimand, signed by presiding Judge Don R. Ash, can be viewed in PDF at the link accompanying this article.

The COTJ found that Pearson was incarcerated for 68 days before Humphrey realized he was still in jail, considered the case and released him.

The panel says Pearson was deprived of his freedom because the judge failed to follow basic due process under the 14th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution and the Tennessee Constitution and also failed to follow the law of contempt.

The letter of reprimand states:
This conduct brings the judiciary into public disrepute."
The letter concludes as follows:
In the future, you are to accord all persons appropriate service of process and follow the statutory mandates for any contempt actions that you consider."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.tsc.state.tn.us.

W- Escue

Grabill, IN

#1 May 15, 2009
I have seen this particular "judge" at work on a child custody hearing where he took the special needs child away from her mother and never gave any reason other than he felt the father could provide for her care better than the mother.This is the first time I've ever heard of taking a child away from it's mother and never proving her unfit.He never even finished hearing both sides when he stopped proceedings to tell the mother that he was taking her baby away....He makes all judges look bad.He seems to be in the habit of wronging people because he can.

Since: Jun 07

United States

#2 May 15, 2009
W- Escue wrote:
I have seen this particular "judge" at work on a child custody hearing where he took the special needs child away from her mother and never gave any reason other than he felt the father could provide for her care better than the mother.This is the first time I've ever heard of taking a child away from it's mother and never proving her unfit.He never even finished hearing both sides when he stopped proceedings to tell the mother that he was taking her baby away....He makes all judges look bad.He seems to be in the habit of wronging people because he can.
Was he mentored by Thomas Austin?
W- Escue

United States

#3 May 16, 2009
I think everyone here in Roane County would say yes to that question.
One4justice

Oak Ridge, TN

#4 Jun 2, 2009
I agree I think Dennis humphrey should have bunked with Tommy Austin, I wonder how much money he made of of that case sounds to me like there was a bribe involved. I wonder how much it cost to buy a judge these days.
W- Escue

Akron, OH

#5 Jun 2, 2009
I hear there's a lawyer in Knoxville that has the answer and lets not forget those lovely rings they wear.....Oh what that can buy a person,just my personal opinion.
W-Escue

United States

#6 Jun 18, 2009
Just wondering why this was never on the news channels or in local papers,anyone have the answer on this question?
W-Escue

Bradenton, FL

#7 Jun 25, 2009
This so called judge took a baby from it's mother because he says the state of Texas has better schooling for down syndrome children,so anyone with a special needs child like this needs to make sure they'll never have to fight for custody because he has said Tennessee is not good enough for these special children,that Texas can do a better job than what the state of Tennessee can....I wonder if the state has been notified of their status.
W-Escue

United States

#8 Jul 2, 2009
We are hopefully going to be hearing more real soon on what this judge did to this mother and child,last I heard the child was going down instead of progressing because she "suppose" to be in better care in Texas than in Tennessee....according to the idiot judge.
W-Escue

Austell, GA

#9 Jul 15, 2009
I am working on getting more facts concerning this mother and child custody case and am coming up with lots of good information,hopefully we can get this wrong turned right,he was most assuredly wrong in his decision and the proof is all coming together like I hoped it would.
unbelievable

Knoxville, TN

#10 Dec 13, 2010
This is all interesting. And who would the lawyer in Knoxville be that would know about how much to bribe? Sounds like corruption gone wild.
M lawler

United States

#11 Dec 20, 2012
David Divelbiss wrote:
<quoted text>
Was he mentored by Thomas Austin?
I agree with you my daughter and i have been back and forth about her daughters and that judge stated that the father had all rights but my daughter hadd a order of protection on him and his mom and sister took he girls to georgia. because they knew she was leaving him the judge didnt do anything about it but of course the fathers attorney is the crazed Tom Mcfarland. so of course my daughter has yet to even have her story told because the courts won't let her but it was ok for them to kidnap the girls and get by with it.
Truth

Knoxville, TN

#12 Dec 20, 2012
Judge Humphrey is heads above Judge Wicks. I think a man has just as much right to have custody of his child/children as a woman does.

Which ever parent can take better care of the child/children financially, give them more security, attention/love, stability and discipline.

If both parents are capable of providing those things, they should have joint custody.

You have Wicks that favors the women, then you have Humphreys that favors the men. We need a judge that does what is in the best interest of the child, not the parents.

There has been to many times that I have witnessed women getting custody of their child/children and using them as a weapon. They get by with destroying the relationship with the father and child/children.

I am a woman, I have a child and my ex can see our child anytime he wants to. I have no interest in hurting our child to hurt my ex.

For the women out there that do use their child as a weapon, wake up and realize, you're only hurting your child/children. Stop the emotional damage before it is to late.

That is all I have to say, I don't care who likes it, I just told the truth. Like that old saying, the truth hurts. They also have an old saying, what comes around goes around. Don't forget that!
M lawler

United States

#13 Dec 21, 2012
I agree with you however this judge doesnt care we have even proven that the children are being abused by him and his mother. but money talks i guess so the children suffer. the worst part is now they won't even let her see are talk to them because the girls throw a fit that they want to be with her are thats what they say however i do know that the six year old went as far as to tell us that her daddy shaves his genital area so what would you think its sad because like i said money talks however mommy pays for it because he doesnt work. an the attorney is personal friends with humphry
Hereswhat

Tucker, GA

#14 Jan 1, 2013
Truth wrote:
Judge Humphrey is heads above Judge Wicks. I think a man has just as much right to have custody of his child/children as a woman does.
Which ever parent can take better care of the child/children financially, give them more security, attention/love, stability and discipline.
If both parents are capable of providing those things, they should have joint custody.
You have Wicks that favors the women, then you have Humphreys that favors the men. We need a judge that does what is in the best interest of the child, not the parents.
There has been to many times that I have witnessed women getting custody of their child/children and using them as a weapon. They get by with destroying the relationship with the father and child/children.
I am a woman, I have a child and my ex can see our child anytime he wants to. I have no interest in hurting our child to hurt my ex.
For the women out there that do use their child as a weapon, wake up and realize, you're only hurting your child/children. Stop the emotional damage before it is to late.
That is all I have to say, I don't care who likes it, I just told the truth. Like that old saying, the truth hurts. They also have an old saying, what comes around goes around. Don't forget that!
I have spent far to much time in both Judges court rooms. The problem is not that one favors one sex over the other. The problem is that both side are not heard. One side or the other is silenced. Usually the side that needs to be heard the most. I'm so tired of this always coming down to either than man or the woman gets screwed or one is favored over the other. I have seen it both ways. It's the children that are getting screwed and left with life long emotional damage. Both mothers and fathers are guilty of what is called parental alienation. It's terribly traumatic and has long term consequences for the victims. I'm not defending the dispicible women that do this to their children but this is not a woman's issue alone. It is in fact a issue the courts continue to ignore.
Dirtking95

Monroe, NC

#15 Jan 1, 2013
All lawyers and judges in roane county is all tied into 1whenit it comes down to bottom line.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rockwood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Alice's restaurant 3 hr Pilgrim 22
**Keep A Word ~ Drop A Word** (Jun '12) 8 hr _FLATLINE-------- 1,873
~~(Last Post)~~ (Jun '12) 23 hr Princess Hey 690
jessica borum (Feb '12) Sun Kimble employee 40
Im looking for a old friend of mine. Jul 21 KittyKat 1
Ridge View Elementary School Pre-K & Kindergart... (Apr '11) Jul 21 Kristi 3
Ashley McGaha (Sep '14) Jul 21 Mudsplasher 33

Rockwood Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance