First Baptist Church Rockwall

Posted in the Rockwall Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Annoyed

Rockwall, TX

#1 Mar 22, 2013
It is hard to find a good church. One that you do not get lost in and one that is small enough to know everyone's name. Does anyone feel lost at FBC Rockwall?

I feel like the pastor sometimes makes remarks about different cultures and pokes fun at other religions.

Some of the congregation is so warm an inviting while the others are cold and not welcoming. There are a lot of people that do not even want me or my husband volunteering to help. They will say, oh, we are full, or do not need any more help. REALLY? What church turns down volunteers?

Clicks and groups here seem to over dominate the individual or outsider. I am not trying to slam the church. The pastor brings a great sermon straight from the Bible. I feel like church should be a second home and here I feel like the door is closed on me. I am just struggling with fitting in. My children really enjoy it here or I would search for another place to worship.
Thoughts?
My Neighborhood

Rockwall, TX

#2 Mar 22, 2013
Welcome to the Rockwall/Heath culture. What you have described sounds just like these two areas. The old residents really do not want someone other than their click doing anything in this city, much less even have an opinion. Wish you knew this before you moved to here. I will move asap. When people move away they think they will be happier. Just wait until their tax bill reflects this flight.
Annoyed

Rockwall, TX

#3 Mar 22, 2013
My Neighborhood wrote:
Welcome to the Rockwall/Heath culture. What you have described sounds just like these two areas. The old residents really do not want someone other than their click doing anything in this city, much less even have an opinion. Wish you knew this before you moved to here. I will move asap. When people move away they think they will be happier. Just wait until their tax bill reflects this flight.
We JUST moved here a few months ago. There are people like this everywhere. That being said, it sure does seem more predominant here.
anonymous

United States

#4 Mar 22, 2013
Clique is how it is spelled.
Ban the Trolls

Dallas, TX

#5 Mar 22, 2013
anonymous wrote:
Rockwall, where everyone knows more than you.
Annoyed

Rockwall, TX

#6 Mar 22, 2013
Ban the Trolls wrote:
<quoted text>
Rockwall, where everyone knows more than you.

Thanks for the good belly laugh! So close to the truth.
Annoyed

Rockwall, TX

#7 Mar 22, 2013
anonymous wrote:
I was expecting someone to educate me on my poor grammar. I am glad to know that there are people that will be more than glad to do so ;p I have been a stay at home mom for ten years and sure could use some education.
New too

Rockwall, TX

#9 Mar 23, 2013
I. too, have experienced an unfriendly atmosphere in Heath. Most of my neighbors are so jealous of each other they can not stand for anyone to have more than they do. They don't seem to have much themselves, just jealous others do. They still have a little clique that they adhere to and don't want "outsiders" to intermingle. Sad these people are so small minded.
Hang in there

Rockwall, TX

#10 Mar 23, 2013
Dear Annoyed,
When I moved here 30 years ago there were a few more than 5000 in Rockwall (city) and we (and all new people) were called "U-Haulers." A few years ago, someone referred to me as "Old Rockwall."
A thought: Can you gather up some of the other new people and start your own little group - coffee one morning a week, etc.. Start with just one other person or couple if necessary. Make your primary mission to seek out and welcome new people who come to your church.
ummm

Euless, TX

#11 Mar 23, 2013
Annoyed wrote:
It is hard to find a good church. One that you do not get lost in and one that is small enough to know everyone's name. Does anyone feel lost at FBC Rockwall?

I feel like the pastor sometimes makes remarks about different cultures and pokes fun at other religions.

Some of the congregation is so warm an inviting while the others are cold and not welcoming. There are a lot of people that do not even want me or my husband volunteering to help. They will say, oh, we are full, or do not need any more help. REALLY? What church turns down volunteers?

Clicks and groups here seem to over dominate the individual or outsider. I am not trying to slam the church. The pastor brings a great sermon straight from the Bible. I feel like church should be a second home and here I feel like the door is closed on me. I am just struggling with fitting in. My children really enjoy it here or I would search for another place to worship.
Thoughts?
have you tried Ridgeview Baptist???
Annoyed

Rockwall, TX

#12 Mar 25, 2013
New too wrote:
I. too, have experienced an unfriendly atmosphere in Heath. Most of my neighbors are so jealous of each other they can not stand for anyone to have more than they do. They don't seem to have much themselves, just jealous others do. They still have a little clique that they adhere to and don't want "outsiders" to intermingle. Sad these people are so small minded.
I agree. I should have moved where there are a few acres between me and the next person. Neighborhood rivalry would be less and I could let me grass grow a little longer than my HOA will allow!
Annoyed

Rockwall, TX

#13 Mar 25, 2013
ummm wrote:
<quoted text>have you tried Ridgeview Baptist???
We have tried just about every Baptist and non-denominational church in the area. I did like Ridgeview, however, most of my son's friends are located at First Baptist. We liked Lakeshore as well, but it was quite a drive and my son did not know anyone there. We might go visit again if the mentality does not change at FBC. It seems that it is either endure, or move churches.
Annoyed

Rockwall, TX

#14 Mar 25, 2013
Hang in there wrote:
Dear Annoyed,
When I moved here 30 years ago there were a few more than 5000 in Rockwall (city) and we (and all new people) were called "U-Haulers." A few years ago, someone referred to me as "Old Rockwall."
A thought: Can you gather up some of the other new people and start your own little group - coffee one morning a week, etc.. Start with just one other person or couple if necessary. Make your primary mission to seek out and welcome new people who come to your church.
I do need to find out if FBC has a welcome committee or something like this. I do know that letters are sent out to visitors. At Lakeshore church, one wonderful thing stood out. They sent someone from he church to come and greet us at home and thank us for coming. Some may see this as pushy but I saw it as trying to reach out and I loved that about the church.

I am afraid to make any suggestions to the church. I have offered to volunteer services for a few programs and was told that they are full up of volunteers. My husband helped out in the community a few times then was not asked back to do more community work. Very strange.

We came from a very community oriented church that went out at least once a week to do some form of community outreach. We did our own church maintenance. The church went out once a month in the bus to dinner just to socialize. It is a huge change for us.
Annoyed

Rockwall, TX

#15 Mar 25, 2013
Correction above. At our old churth, the YOUTH would have social events out side of church such as dinner once a month etc. I was raised as Baptist. The Texas Baptist Men do so much for outreach. I could not imagine not being Baptist.

I am wondering if anyone has felt the way I feel about FBC or if I just need to relax, and "hang in there" as Hang in There wrote.
Acts 2-38

Quinlan, TX

#16 Mar 26, 2013
The question should be, will they teach what Peter taught on the day of Pentecost?(1Peter 4:11)

(Acts 2:38)- 38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

1....Repent,

2....and be baptized

3....for the remission of sins,

If the answer is no and you truly want to follow the Lord Jesus Christ, find another church which will teach truth.

gbntv.org

thetruthinlove.com
wow

Arlington, TX

#17 Mar 26, 2013
Annoyed wrote:
<quoted text>I agree. I should have moved where there are a few acres between me and the next person. Neighborhood rivalry would be less and I could let me grass grow a little longer than my HOA will allow!
Neighborhood rivalry?? Sounds like you are the competitor type... Could be part of the issue you have with these different places if worship...
Annoyed

Rockwall, TX

#18 Mar 26, 2013
wow wrote:
<quoted text>
Neighborhood rivalry?? Sounds like you are the competitor type... Could be part of the issue you have with these different places if worship...
Actually, I am quite the opposite of the competitor type. I am very quiet and it is hard for me to open up. I feel like I have to be an "outstanding" person to fit in. This is why I have come here to see if anyone else had the same issues. I do not want to send a wrong message. I simply wanted to know if anyone has felt the same at FBC.
Hawkmom

Seagoville, TX

#19 Mar 30, 2013
I have been an active member of FBC Rockwall for 15 years. I do not know your past volunteer experiences but know that they are always willing to have help in the childrens's ministry. We lost Martin Jones to the Chicago area in January - he was working hard to build community outreach that you desire. Every week, I know without fail that Steve will present a sermon from the gospel. Have you tried to meeting with him and discussing your concerns and desires to help? Are you a part of a Sunday School class that it's your eeds? If not, please visit another SS class. There are many adult classes that I'm sure you can find a fit.
uhh

Rockwall, TX

#20 Jun 4, 2013
closet drinkers
Karen

Euless, TX

#21 Dec 7, 2013
I felt the same way about fitting in until I joined the choir and began serving in the children's choir. It really was me getting out and meeting others. I can see how a newcomer might feel lost since when I joined over twenty years ago it wasn't this large- meet with Michael Crosswhote and he will help you get plugged in! Hope this helps. By the way- they always need help in the children's Sunday school department.
Annoyed wrote:
Thoughts?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rockwall Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
joshua wayne bevill (Oct '10) 1 hr Big Tex 46
Review: Alden Short Inc (Dec '10) 8 hr LORI M 46
Change A Letter Game (Nov '12) 16 hr SusieQD 1,001
Word Game (Nov '12) 17 hr SexSusie 152
AT&T Premises Technician Pay?... (Oct '07) 20 hr VradOut 8,066
"The blackest land and the whitest people" (Mar '08) Thu dalewicker 78
Forney the next Rockwall w/o the lake! (Feb '14) Feb 22 Majorie Tilley 32

Rockwall News Video

Rockwall Dating
Find my Match