John King Blvd. bypass of Rockwall no...

John King Blvd. bypass of Rockwall now complete, open to traffic

There are 22 comments on the The Rockwall News story from Aug 10, 2012, titled John King Blvd. bypass of Rockwall now complete, open to traffic. In it, The Rockwall News reports that:

Drivers approaching Rockwall from the north and south on Hwy. 205 can now entirely bypass the city after the July 30 grand opening of the $19.6 million John King Blvd./I-30 overpass.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Rockwall News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Turd Tracks

Haslet, TX

#1 Aug 10, 2012
Our $20,000,000.00 road to nowhere!
Gosh, who should we thank first?!?
TRN

Rockwall, TX

#2 Aug 10, 2012
Turd Tracks wrote:
Our $20,000,000.00 road to nowhere!
Gosh, who should we thank first?!?
I'll start by thanking you since you won't be driving on it. Less traffic for me when I drive on it EVERY DAY.
Wow are you for real

Rockwall, TX

#3 Aug 10, 2012
Gosh! Just think how much money must have been passed around. They get a taste and then want to run for office again or put their wives in office.
Turd Tracks

Rockwall, TX

#4 Aug 11, 2012
Wow are you for real wrote:
Gosh! Just think how much money must have been passed around. They get a taste and then want to run for office again or put their wives in office.
Exactly
johnny

Haslet, TX

#5 Aug 12, 2012
Not sure 20 million was the number but I do think it was much needed. Has anyone drove down horizon or ridge rd recently? Awful!!
The Real Cost

Rockwall, TX

#6 Aug 12, 2012
$19,600,000 is the number and I drive down Ridge or Horizon several times a week. The road to nowhere will never be used as people drive where people are, not off in the woods. This was a case of contracts just like it was stated earlier. The below average intelligence commissioners think voters can not possibly know. They run for office for a reason and it is not out of mere charity for their time.
Gotta say it

Rockwall, TX

#7 Aug 12, 2012
Who do you think planned and paid for this road? It was the City of Rockwall - NOT the county commissioners. There was some cost sharing between TxDOT and from the $100 M county road bond for the I-30 interchange.

The bypass was originally planned to avoid having to widen Goliad but TxDOT insisted on routing all north-souuth through traffic through the middle of Rockwall. So after at least 7 years of saying no and looking at 16 other routes, in 1995 the City gave up and came up with a pretty good plan for the Alamo Rd./North Goliad St. couplet through old downtown. In 1998 citizens passed a bond to pay for the city's share of construction but it still took almost 17 years to get it completed.

The bypass was supposed to be built to TxDOT standards and have the State assume ownership/maintenance, in a trade of Goliad Street to the City. A last-minute "choke" or cold feet resulted in designing and building the road so that the City will forever own and maintain it because it does not meet TxDOT design standards. That's the REAL tragedy of this road.
johnny

Crandall, TX

#8 Aug 13, 2012
Gotta say it wrote:
Who do you think planned and paid for this road? It was the City of Rockwall - NOT the county commissioners. There was some cost sharing between TxDOT and from the $100 M county road bond for the I-30 interchange.

The bypass was originally planned to avoid having to widen Goliad but TxDOT insisted on routing all north-souuth through traffic through the middle of Rockwall. So after at least 7 years of saying no and looking at 16 other routes, in 1995 the City gave up and came up with a pretty good plan for the Alamo Rd./North Goliad St. couplet through old downtown. In 1998 citizens passed a bond to pay for the city's share of construction but it still took almost 17 years to get it completed.

The bypass was supposed to be built to TxDOT standards and have the State assume ownership/maintenance, in a trade of Goliad Street to the City. A last-minute "choke" or cold feet resulted in designing and building the road so that the City will forever own and maintain it because it does not meet TxDOT design standards. That's the REAL tragedy of this road.
I obviously don't have as much information on this project as you do. I do think with Rockwall being the fastest growing county in Texas this could end up helping the traffic flow in the long run.
Gotta say it

Rockwall, TX

#9 Aug 13, 2012
I agree, Johnny. It's hard to get ahead of the growth. And now that trucks can access I-30, making the bypass the truck route should take most of them off Goliad. There's already commercial development planned on two corners of Airport Road and John King Blvd.

As soon as the economy improves, look for more residential development out east. It's beautiful land - if we can maintain the rolling hills and save the greenbelts.
The Real Cost

Rockwall, TX

#10 Aug 14, 2012
Yesterday at 4:45P.M. I took the maiden voyage from one end to the other of John King Blvd. There were 4 stop signs/traffic lights and the trip took a total of 19 minutes. I counted less than 10 cars on both sides of the street. At 5:20 I returned coming down 205/Goliad from the same points in the first trip. The return trip I encountered 13 stop sign/traffic lights. The trip took exactly 13 minutes. There were too many other cars to count. Now, tell me again what a great investment this expenditure this was?
TRN

Haslet, TX

#11 Aug 14, 2012
The Real Cost wrote:
Yesterday at 4:45P.M. I took the maiden voyage from one end to the other of John King Blvd. There were 4 stop signs/traffic lights and the trip took a total of 19 minutes. I counted less than 10 cars on both sides of the street. At 5:20 I returned coming down 205/Goliad from the same points in the first trip. The return trip I encountered 13 stop sign/traffic lights. The trip took exactly 13 minutes. There were too many other cars to count. Now, tell me again what a great investment this expenditure this was?
It's easy - if you don't like it, don't drive on it. More room for me. When you drive to Dallas, or any other road for that matter, do you count cars too?
Matt Scott

Rockwall, TX

#12 Aug 14, 2012
The Real Cost wrote:
$19,600,000 is the number and I drive down Ridge or Horizon several times a week. The road to nowhere will never be used as people drive where people are, not off in the woods. This was a case of contracts just like it was stated earlier. The below average intelligence commissioners think voters can not possibly know. They run for office for a reason and it is not out of mere charity for their time.
Speaking of below average intelligence--it would help if you knew who actually built the road, dip-sit--the city of Rockwall built it, not the commissioners or Rockwall County. They helped build the bridge only. And it was approved by a huge number of city of Rockwall citizens--about 64%. You're a moron.
Matt Scott

Rockwall, TX

#13 Aug 14, 2012
The Real Cost wrote:
Yeah, I'll believe your numbers--when you grow some balls and post your real name!
The Real Cost

Rockwall, TX

#14 Aug 14, 2012
Poor old Matt, still trying to get anyone to listen to his garbage. No one cares now or ever. Go feed your wife another cupcake.
Really

United States

#15 Aug 14, 2012
All the name calling! What are y'all? 2 years old? It's a done deal, accept it.
Matt Scott

Rockwall, TX

#16 Aug 15, 2012
The Real Cost wrote:
Poor old Matt, still trying to get anyone to listen to his garbage. No one cares now or ever. Go feed your wife another cupcake.
What kind of scum bag goes on a web site and anonymously calls a woman names who has no role in anything regarding this names? I so wish you had the balls to put your name on here. But everyone knows you never will.
Matt Scott

La Mesa, CA

#17 Aug 15, 2012
Matt Scott wrote:
<quoted text>What kind of scum bag goes on a web site and anonymously calls a woman names who has no role in anything regarding this names? I so wish you had the balls to put your name on here. But everyone knows you never will.
Well, I heard she can't wrestle, but you should see her BOX!

Signed,
Matt Scott
The Truth

Arlington, TX

#18 Sep 5, 2012
As for Matt Scott and the rest of the council that pushed for the bypass, it WAS and still IS a WASTE of tax payer money. TXDOT told you the bypass would not solve the traffic problems and it has not thus far! All you have done is build a nice wide street for the developers to come in with high density subdivisions and multi-family housing which will create a traffic problem all on its own. Oh and instead of bashing the traffic count posted by "the real cost", trying driving the bypass any time of day and you can count on one hand the number of vehicles traveling on it. VERY FEW PEOPLE USE IT!
mark

Rockwall, TX

#19 Sep 5, 2012
That road is sexy. They should have called it sexy John king blvd. with directional signs to all the sexy.
UR Misguided

Rockwall, TX

#20 Sep 6, 2012
The Truth wrote:
As for Matt Scott and the rest of the council that pushed for the bypass, it WAS and still IS a WASTE of tax payer money. TXDOT told you the bypass would not solve the traffic problems and it has not thus far! All you have done is build a nice wide street for the developers to come in with high density subdivisions and multi-family housing which will create a traffic problem all on its own. Oh and instead of bashing the traffic count posted by "the real cost", trying driving the bypass any time of day and you can count on one hand the number of vehicles traveling on it. VERY FEW PEOPLE USE IT!
Hey Dumbass..... the Citizens voted that in, not the council. It is getting used more every day. Quit your bitching and go to your Saturday meeting and bitch to your buddies.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rockwall Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Paul Ryan budget proposal threatens housing aid... 6 hr Justicia 136
News Texas' battle over teaching evolution comes dow... 7 hr pshun2404 5
Black Thug Watch. Name the black thug criminals... 8 hr everyone knows be... 14
AT&T Premises Technician Pay?... (Oct '07) 10 hr James 9,757
Looking for my brother who i havent seen since ... Tue paradise 2
News Suspected voter fraud in Grand Prairie fits sam... Tue B- Moore 1
Ed Taiwo Continental Parts Company Mon Greg Knight 2

Rockwall Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance