jerry wimpee sheds light on flagpoles

jerry wimpee sheds light on flagpoles

Posted in the Rockwall Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
ROCKAWAY

Rockwall, TX

#1 Feb 21, 2012
About The Courthouse Flag Display

...... By Rockwall County Commissioner Jerry Wimpee

The flag display for the new Rockwall County Courthouse has recently become a subject of discussion. Misinformation is not helpful in understanding this issue. The purpose of my comments is to provide clarity on this topic, so that we are informed instead of just opinionated regarding the proper display of the flags at the Rockwall County Courthouse. The following excerpt from the Texas Government Code shows the clear language concerning flag display:

GOVERNMENT CODE CHAPTER 3100. STATE FLAG SUBCHAPTER A

Sec. 3100.055. DISPLAY ON FLAGPOLE/FLAGSTAFF WITH FLAG OF THE
UNITED STATES

(a) If it is necessary for the state flag and the flag of the United States to be
displayed on the same flagpole/flagstaff, the United States flag
should be above the state flag.

(b) If the state flag and the flag of the United States are displayed on
flagpoles/flagstaffs at the same location:

(1) the flags should be displayed on flagpoles/flagstaffs of the same height;
(2) the flags should be of approximately equal size;
(3) the flag of the United States should be, from the perspective of an
observer, to the left of the observer;

Many different officials have applied this flag code for generations throughout our community. They include all the various school board members, mayors, city councils and county officials. Look around you; the evidence of their actions can be witnessed at our public schools, each city hall, the historic courthouse, the county jail, and the county library, etc.

A mistake was made concerning the Courthouse Flag Display wherein one of the flagpoles was taller than the others. It is not unusual that mistakes are made on large and complex construction projects like the new courthouse. This mistake kept the Courthouse Flag Display from conforming to the Texas Code. The mistake was corrected on January 28, 2012 when a flagpole contractor trimmed the top of the taller pole, bringing the Courthouse Flag Display into compliance with the Texas Code. The repair cost $760.00.

It has been my privilege to be serving in my twentieth year as Commissioner of Precinct One and as the Commissioners Court Judge Pro-tem for the past ten years. I am grateful for the distinction of serving as a member of the Exterior Design Committee, the Interior Design Committee, and the Landscape Design Committee for the New Rockwall County Courthouse Project.
Zorro

Rockwall, TX

#2 Feb 22, 2012
Good riddance!
Can't wait til you and Magness are no longer on the gub-mint teat!
That courthouse is a joke and a permanent monument to your stupidity!
Law Dog

Rockwall, TX

#3 Feb 22, 2012
This is a prime example of what Jerry Hogan is all about. Why in the world would he use the counties resources bringing in the Texas Rangers to perform an investigation on a trumped up "vandalism" charge that was in fact a legitimate action that no one was trying to hide? Hogan is a grandstander that wants to take care of his "Band of Brothers" rather than the citizens of Rockwall County. He acts like an only child who didn't get his way on the playground. I for one believe that Hogan's grandstanding is a criminal waste of counties resources. The Texas Rangers ought to be investigating Hogan's misuse of county and state time, money and resources. He is a fraud and apparently doesn't mind wasting money as long as he can try and embarrass a political opponent.
Good Dog

Rockwall, TX

#4 Feb 22, 2012
Law Dog wrote:
This is a prime example of what Jerry Hogan is all about. Why in the world would he use the counties resources bringing in the Texas Rangers to perform an investigation on a trumped up "vandalism" charge that was in fact a legitimate action that no one was trying to hide? Hogan is a grandstander that wants to take care of his "Band of Brothers" rather than the citizens of Rockwall County. He acts like an only child who didn't get his way on the playground. I for one believe that Hogan's grandstanding is a criminal waste of counties resources. The Texas Rangers ought to be investigating Hogan's misuse of county and state time, money and resources. He is a fraud and apparently doesn't mind wasting money as long as he can try and embarrass a political opponent.
Exactly! I had a couple conversations with Hogan while he was campaigning. His actions after he was elected are a far cry from how he positioned himself during the campaign.

Sign Me,

Sorry!
ROCKAWAY

Rockwall, TX

#5 Feb 22, 2012
Zorro wrote:
Good riddance!
Can't wait til you and Magness are no longer on the gub-mint teat!
That courthouse is a joke and a permanent monument to your stupidity!
Tough decisions are not always popular.....down the road people will be thankful someone took the time to build such a nice courthouse for them and at half the cost during a bad economy!
really

Frisco, TX

#6 Feb 22, 2012
ROCKAWAY wrote:
<quoted text>Tough decisions are not always popular.....down the road people will be thankful someone took the time to build such a nice courthouse for them and at half the cost during a bad economy!
your mistaken
The voters said NO twice
To hell with the judge and commissioners that forced it upon us with their back alley deal!
ROCKAWAY

Rockwall, TX

#7 Feb 22, 2012
if everything was up to the voters then nothing would ever get done.
oh my

Rockwall, TX

#8 Feb 22, 2012
So no bond packages have ever passed in Rockwall? Rockaway? I to don't like the court house. It looks out of place for where it is. Even my kiddo says it looks like it's from Washington DC.I don't like how they found the money to build it, despite voters having voted it down 2x. If they had the money to build ,why even put it up for a vote for a 2nd time knowing how unpopular it was?
offensive

Frisco, TX

#9 Feb 22, 2012
ROCKAWAY wrote:
if everything was up to the voters then nothing would ever get done.
your attitude is sickening!
I'm convinced You're Jerry Wimpee,
Being elected commissioner does not crown you King! Good Riddance!
Heathen

Rockwall, TX

#10 Feb 22, 2012
I agree that the court house looks like it was brought in from another place. Rockwall is all about making a big impression. Now, we look perfectly stupid for building that montrosity in the first place. Who says county workers must have a big office or palatial surrounding? The whole thing stinks of agrandisement. Why must we entertain criminals in such grandeur? I believe Hogan was all for this building from the beginning. He has promoted it like he owned it. He should have stood up before elected and lead voters to stop this whole thing while there was time instead of waiting until it was too late.
Just Shut Up

Lavon, TX

#11 Feb 22, 2012
Heathen wrote:
I agree that the court house looks like it was brought in from another place. Rockwall is all about making a big impression. Now, we look perfectly stupid for building that montrosity in the first place. Who says county workers must have a big office or palatial surrounding? The whole thing stinks of agrandisement. Why must we entertain criminals in such grandeur? I believe Hogan was all for this building from the beginning. He has promoted it like he owned it. He should have stood up before elected and lead voters to stop this whole thing while there was time instead of waiting until it was too late.
Hogan could not stop the construction of the court house and neither could the voters. Hogan spoke out against the court house in commissioners court and pointed out to them that the voters had said no twice about the court house in that location. His position at this time is that we may not like the court house, but we will have to move forward.
Heathen

Rockwall, TX

#12 Feb 23, 2012
Thank you, Hogan, aka Just Shut Up. I knew you would respond with this kind of answer. You always defend the court house.
Just Shut Up

Lavon, TX

#13 Feb 23, 2012
Heathen wrote:
Thank you, Hogan, aka Just Shut Up. I knew you would respond with this kind of answer. You always defend the court house.
I never defended the court house. It will always be an over the top piece of crap. I said NO twice like also. I said "Hogan could not stop the construction of the court house and neither could the voters. Hogan spoke out against the court house in commissioners court and pointed out to them that the voters had said no twice about the court house in that location." You never opened your mouth then, now all you want to do is bitch about the court house.
Heathen

Rockwall, TX

#14 Feb 23, 2012
No matter what you say it will always be a reminder to anyone traveling I-30 that this is a city of pretentious commissioners, and one judge. No amount of praising that embarassing piece of construction will change what anyone can see. They are laughing at us, thank you.
Zorro

United States

#15 Feb 23, 2012
Heathen wrote:
No matter what you say it will always be a reminder to anyone traveling I-30 that this is a city of pretentious commissioners, and one judge. No amount of praising that embarassing piece of construction will change what anyone can see. They are laughing at us, thank you.
you are spot on!
Paco

Rockwall, TX

#16 Feb 23, 2012
Geez! I thought this whole item was about flagpoles over a memorial. Who got going on the courthouse? That's completely another issue. Jerry should read the rest of the law on the US flag. Very clear that the US flay should also be higher than any other flag while being displayed in this country. So why go to the trouble of cutting off part of a flag pole? Jerry must be taking his cue from the great croch-saluter, and I-don't-wear-a-US-flag-on-my-l apel-'cause-it-might-offend-so meone, joker in the White House in Washington, DC>
Wimpee Beaty Magness

United States

#17 Feb 23, 2012
Paco wrote:
Geez! I thought this whole item was about flagpoles over a memorial. Who got going on the courthouse? That's completely another issue. Jerry should read the rest of the law on the US flag. Very clear that the US flay should also be higher than any other flag while being displayed in this country. So why go to the trouble of cutting off part of a flag pole? Jerry must be taking his cue from the great croch-saluter, and I-don't-wear-a-US-flag-on-my-l apel-'cause-it-might-offend-so meone, joker in the White House in Washington, DC>
Law allows Texas and US flag to fly at same height
Court Jester

Mesquite, TX

#18 Feb 24, 2012
Channel 8 News is on this now.....
1reader

Springtown, TX

#20 Feb 24, 2012
The real issue is if wimpee was authorized by the commissioners to make a change to county property. There is nothing in state law that allows any commissioner to make independent decisions. look for this to be a hot item in commissioners court
hmmmm

United States

#21 Feb 25, 2012
From Channel 8's website.....

"Commissioner Wimpee decided against an on-camera interview with News 8, but he stressed that the flags are not a feature of the memorial, but rather they belong to the courthouse."

Didn't Wimpee say he acted alone because he was in charge of the memorial and implied he was authorized to do so? This seems to contradict that...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rockwall Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Donald Trump's birther nonsense 1 hr Joe Balls 19
gasmonkey garage-rude (Dec '13) 1 hr swag 12
PayPal is freezing accounts 2 hr Paypal Crisis 1
Garland Soccer (Mar '15) 2 hr Soapboxmom 40
AT&T Premises Technician Pay?... (Oct '07) 6 hr WarForOil 9,564
(.R ox y Bulk!!) ku*sh !! Wed missblankie 3
You cant be black in Rockwall on a Friday! (Sep '12) Sep 27 Dolly 37

Rockwall Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rockwall Mortgages