Teachers Staying Late At Night At School

Posted in the Rockwall Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Kentucky Hillbilly

Dallas, TX

#1 Oct 30, 2009
Is it really necessary for a teacher to stay in her classroom until midnight or later, day after day? Does teaching in Rockwall require all those extra hours? It is no wonder teachers complain about their pay. Staying all day then way into the night must cut the pay to below minimum wage.What on earth does a teacher do in the classroom at midnight when it's an elementary class? Will she actually be able to teach the next morning after these "all night sessions"? Where is the principal or administrator?
Fun

Godley, TX

#2 Oct 30, 2009
My wife is a Elementary teacher. You would not believe how much time and out of pocket expense they have. They are suppose to do learning centers for all subjects, guided reading and literacy centers too, lesson plans, this time of year they have to have a meeting with the parents of every student to go over testing when ever they can come, copies, etc.. All the centers are suppose to be changed every week.
On avarage we spend $1600 a year on materials for the classroom. Things like school supplies, books, learning games, material for science, all the cool stuff. My wife's budget is $140 from the school. I hope this helps. Also, if the teacher works before school starts in the summer they get to work with out AC, its just great. One of my wife's parent meetings was at 7:30pm.
Parent

United States

#3 Oct 31, 2009
Quit whining! Your wife should have known the problems before she chose that job. If she did not, she is to blame for going forward with that degree. When a teacher stays up until those kind of hours at school, I would wonder if that is where she really is or is there drinking involved, as with MANY teachers. Teachers don't get a free pass. Move on to another job, someone will always gladly take her place.
Dedicated

Godley, TX

#4 Nov 1, 2009
Parent
My wife does not whine. I was answering a question. You sound like just another angry parent. Too bad your son or daughter never had my dedicated wife as a teacher, because then you would have been very happy with the results. She is constantly buying materials for her centers, to reach each kid on each level. The time she is spending in the classroom is making materials, laminating them, cutting them out, making copies, meeting with parents who can and will not take time off work, forcing her to wait until they can come to school when they get off, writing engaging lesson plans so her kids can do more than just worksheets, I could go on and on. As for your comment about it possibly being a cover, that doesn't fly. I work at the same school and I often stay to help her. She does nothing but tell stories of another student that made her day or finally got it that day. No bitterness, just a hope for understanding. So far she has reached over 180 kids in 9 years. That makes it worth it to her.
Parent

United States

#5 Nov 1, 2009
As I said before, then quit complaining , whining or begging for sympathy. She chose that career.
RHHS ex teacher

Ardmore, OK

#6 Nov 1, 2009
Hey, Parent...it's NOT the degree, it's the district.

Go work in MISD, they are leaps and bounds above RISD in how they treat their employees and amazing in how efficiently they get tax dollars to the classroom.
whatever

United States

#7 Nov 2, 2009
RHHS ex teacher wrote:
Hey, Parent...it's NOT the degree, it's the district.
Go work in MISD, they are leaps and bounds above RISD in how they treat their employees and amazing in how efficiently they get tax dollars to the classroom.
Fine.. Then why did you apply for a job here? Find another place to teach. I agree MISD is way better than we have here. Their ratings are better, too. Complaining won't get you anywhere. Vote with your feet.
RHHS ex teacher

Ardmore, OK

#9 Nov 2, 2009
whatever, I went to RISD to fix a problem and I did. I didn't complain about the district, I stated facts which you agreed with. Thanks!
Awesome

Euless, TX

#10 Nov 2, 2009
Parent wrote:
Quit whining! Your wife should have known the problems before she chose that job. If she did not, she is to blame for going forward with that degree. When a teacher stays up until those kind of hours at school, I would wonder if that is where she really is or is there drinking involved, as with MANY teachers. Teachers don't get a free pass. Move on to another job, someone will always gladly take her place.
I'm pretty sure you are probably one of those parents who doesn't show up for parent conferences even though you scheduled them with the teacher who happens to be staying late to accommodate YOU. And I'm guessing that you do not volunteer to help out in your kid's classroom in any way, shape, or form. I'm also thinking that most likely you feel it's the school's responsibility to parent and raise your child all on the teacher's dime. Fun!!(insert eyeroll and a lot of sarcasm here at any point)
Believe me, if I had known that I was going to be faced with moronic behavior and attitudes from parents such as yourself, I would have picked a different degree with higher pay. We do what we do and spend the time we spend- to educate YOUR child because, Lord knows, leaving it in the hands of someone such as yourself is a scary, scary thought.
whatever

United States

#11 Nov 3, 2009
Nope! You guessed wrong. Children are grown and yes I did volunteer at their school. However, it was a lot like I was doing the work for the teachers. I helped with their homework and went to every scheduled conference the teacher required. I helped with the carnivals, the money makers and any other activity presented. Teachers for the most part, are just whiners who want constant pats on the back. As I said before, go get another job. No one makes you be a teacher. There are a few good teachers who handle the work of classroom decorating, set up and break down, scheduling lesson planning, etc. without constant whining. Learn to manage your time or get out of the pack. Just quit feeling sorry for yourself. It is called "work". You get paid. It is not like staying home and having fun. For the children's sake, I urge you to quit!
WOW

Carrollton, TX

#12 Nov 4, 2009
Geez "Parent"! Kentucky Hillbilly asked a question which Fun (Dedicated) answered. Hillbilly asked why they were there so late and if it was necessary. Boy did you come on in a hurry and state that person was complaining. They were just answering a question. Fun did not start the thread. What got your drawers in a wad?? Why in the world did you have to go off on them so quick? Do any of you people sit back in actually read your post before you hit the "Post Comment" button? Maybe I just dont understand why that "quit whinning" comment was necessary. Cant anyone on these threads debate something without getting all snippy???
Parent

United States

#13 Nov 4, 2009
WOW, he was whining. He was feeling sorry for himself and his wife who cannot manage her time so she stays till 12:00 P.M. while other teachers get their work done and leave. This site is for comments, not for referees. If you feel you must be in charge, find another outlet. Go help that teacher who can't get things done in a timely manner. As to what time I signed on to the site, never knew their was a waiting period to reply. So, in reply, go look into the mirror as to who is snippy.
RWT

Spring, TX

#14 Nov 4, 2009
Snoopy

Frisco, TX

#15 Nov 4, 2009
Ok, this site is for comments, but some of you people on here only want to complain or to give someone else a hard time. I'm not sure who you are saying was whining, Hillybilly or Fan. I sure didnt see in WOWs post that they said anything about what time you signed into the post, just asked if your read it before you hit the button. As for Fan, that person was telling the original poster what may cause a teacher to work so late. I didnt see where he was the one that started the post. I personally know teachers that "get their work done and leave" and teachers that stay late. Seems that the ones that stay late are the ones that are there because they love to teach and go the extra mile and the ones that "get there job done and leave" are just going thru the motions. Maybe this teacher actually uses class time to TEACH and spend time with the students and waits until after school to do all the other work that comes with the job. HIs more in depth post didnt even come until after your nice little reply.

Not that you care, and I'm sure you'll be happy, but I'm out on this site. Its gotten to where you cannot have a civil dicussion on here without someone making a hateful comment to a post that was simply asking and answering a question. Wonder how many post of yours we could find you whining.

Snoopy out.
love to teach

Lavon, TX

#16 Nov 5, 2009
This is in response to the person who wants us to quit whining!!!!! I'd like to point out the husband was not whining about his wife putting in all those hours for children, but merely giving an explanation. Looks to me like you have a little chip on your shoulder in regards to teachers. Of course any professional who attends four years of college towards a profession knows how much dedication it takes. I am a little concerned that you have children and don't respect the adult who probably spends more time with your child in a year than you do. Would you really like us to use the same equipment without steralizing it daily since we are in a flu epedemic? Should we teach the same lessons using just pages from a textbook or find more interesting ways to spark your child's curiousity for learning? When do you expect me to meet with you to go over test grades or the progress made by your child when you probably work until 5:00 every night, and during the day I am with your child? I've never once complained about taking 3 hours to cut foam so that you may have a cute project you could keep that your child made. Actually, even through the blisters I hope that most parents write the date on it and keep it to look at at a later date. I also don't mind attending classes to learn a better way to make your child more successful in my classroom. As my head hits the pillow each night and I'm exhausted I certainly don't whine about the hours it took today to influence your child to become the best that he or she can be! I'm not sure how I could do all that if I'm too busy drinking?
Parent wrote:
Parent

United States

#17 Nov 5, 2009
There you go whining about having to work. My children are well adjusted adults that benefited and were exposed to lots of teachers in schools. Teachers for the most part need constant reassurance and pats on the back for their work. EVERYONE does extra work and many do not whine because of it. Quit acting like you deserve a prize for having been a teacher. Teachers constantly complain that parents are not involved. You would be surprised to learn, if you could focus on anyone but your pitiful little self, that many parents spend more time with their children that you do in those few school hours. It's just more of the poor pitiful me story BS you put out. Find a profession that you feel appreciates your creative little self and do kids a favor, quit! Let those teachers that are good and can manage their time go about teaching, not whining.
Right of the Lake

Dallas, TX

#18 Nov 5, 2009
love to teach wrote:
This is in response to the person who wants us to quit whining!!!!! I'd like to point out the husband was not whining about his wife putting in all those hours for children, but merely giving an explanation. Looks to me like you have a little chip on your shoulder in regards to teachers. Of course any professional who attends four years of college towards a profession knows how much dedication it takes. I am a little concerned that you have children and don't respect the adult who probably spends more time with your child in a year than you do. Would you really like us to use the same equipment without steralizing it daily since we are in a flu epedemic? Should we teach the same lessons using just pages from a textbook or find more interesting ways to spark your child's curiousity for learning? When do you expect me to meet with you to go over test grades or the progress made by your child when you probably work until 5:00 every night, and during the day I am with your child? I've never once complained about taking 3 hours to cut foam so that you may have a cute project you could keep that your child made. Actually, even through the blisters I hope that most parents write the date on it and keep it to look at at a later date. I also don't mind attending classes to learn a better way to make your child more successful in my classroom. As my head hits the pillow each night and I'm exhausted I certainly don't whine about the hours it took today to influence your child to become the best that he or she can be! I'm not sure how I could do all that if I'm too busy drinking? <quoted text>
A couple of bumper stickers come to mind...

For love to teach and dedicated...
"If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading this in English, thank a soldier."
"Don't worry what people think, they don't do it very often"

For parent..
"I respect your opinion, I just don't want to hear it"
This is your position...
"I'm not stupid, I'm hard of thinking"
And..
"If you are close enough to read this, you just violated your restraining order"

As for me..
"I'm getting off here"

Bumper stickers at prankplace.com
Whyisitgreattobe ateacher

Corpus Christi, TX

#19 Nov 6, 2009
To Parent,
Because we know midnight is 12 AM, lol
Wonder

Dallas, TX

#20 Mar 1, 2010
It happens. The rest of the world has to put in extra hours for their salary too
WTH

Forney, TX

#22 Mar 2, 2010
Parent wrote:
There you go whining about having to work. My children are well adjusted adults that benefited and were exposed to lots of teachers in schools. Teachers for the most part need constant reassurance and pats on the back for their work. EVERYONE does extra work and many do not whine because of it. Quit acting like you deserve a prize for having been a teacher. Teachers constantly complain that parents are not involved. You would be surprised to learn, if you could focus on anyone but your pitiful little self, that many parents spend more time with their children that you do in those few school hours. It's just more of the poor pitiful me story BS you put out. Find a profession that you feel appreciates your creative little self and do kids a favor, quit! Let those teachers that are good and can manage their time go about teaching, not whining.
It seems that teachers spend years getting their degrees to become professionals in their field. It appears that "Parent" spent 30 seconds of experience before being blessed as a parent and because of that 30 seconds of knowledge and ability, we are now blessed with his/her attitude. Any one can be a parent (as "parent" has proven) but not many can be teachers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rockwall Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
John Wiley Price 1 hr BlackHole 1
Add A Word Drop A Word (Nov '12) 22 hr Doug77 1,231
Section 8 Housing on 66 (Mar '13) Sun Just this guy 22
News New ALDI grocery store breaks ground in Rockwall (Jul '12) May 15 Kitara 156
Let's get a Sprout's in Rockwall (Health Food G... (Jul '12) May 14 Shanarae Brookshire 37
Beware of Firestone in Rockwall (Nov '11) May 12 Sea1984 21
Door to Door Meat Scam? (Mar '09) May 11 clint 400
More from around the web

Rockwall People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]