First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Smart

Dallas, TX

#1 Oct 15, 2012
I can't believe no one has started a topic on here about the new CSCOPE curriculum in Rockwall ISD. After those community meetings last week, I thougth there would at least be a mention here. What do you think?
Fed-up parent

Garland, TX

#2 Oct 17, 2012
I want to know what we can do to get rid of this!!!! It is RIDICULOUS!!!!!! I have seen nothing but a negative impact on my children since the start of school. Even my kindergartner is regressing in her work. She has been in school since she was 2 and her writing and coloring has all gone down, and I attribute this to the fast paced curriculum. I also do not understand how our teachers are going to be able to reteach what the students did not learn because they have to move on to the next lesson and do not have the time to go back! Im tired of my children being taught to take a test!!!!! And at this rate they aren't even going to do well on that because of everything moving along so quickly! Because it has to be taught and learnd begore wevtake STARR in the spring! Thats a bunch if BS! Whay cant we just teach our children?!?!?! This isn't teaching! This was a waste of money! The teachers that I have spoken with do not like it...it's causing tons of frustration between teachers and parents. We are now checking into outing our children into a different school district or privat school because its that bad!!!!
MCHIS

Dallas, TX

#3 Oct 17, 2012
I think many of us in Rockwall ISD would be ok with a more rigorous curriculum, but not at the expense of our kids. Rockwall ISD has some excellent teachers that are being thrown overboard by the administration. They cannot be creative in the classroom because they always have to "move on". What ends up happening is the teachers are looking to their CSCOPE guides that tell them what the students need to know for the test, and teaching that! That is not education. We are robbing our children from the joy of learning and exploration - our kids are smarter than that. I think what bothers me most is the secrecy of this curriculum. Why can't the parents know what is going on in the classroom? We are responsible for them and their education. It used to be a parternship between schools in parents. Now we don't have a clue what they are learning. This is very dangerous to our community and our kids when the parents are thrown out. I encourage everyone to visit this site http://www.txcscopereview.com/ to see how others in Texas are feeling about CSCOPE. Make your voices known to the school board and the administration - especially Dr. Koehn.
Horrible decision

United States

#4 Oct 17, 2012
C scope must go now.
Really

Arlington, TX

#5 Oct 17, 2012
Many of us in Rockwall ISD would be ok with a more rigorous curriculum, but not at the expense of our kids? Really? RISD was in need of a more rigorous curriculum. The kids will adapt. The kids are actually being challenged now. Yikes! Shame on RISD for challinging our kids. You will be happy when your kids go off to college and won't struggle because they are prepared. Not all former students are able to say that. It almost sounds as if parents are upset their kids are having to do homework now and parents are actually having to help with the homework and be more involved with their children. Gasp! Your job as a parent is to make sure your child is able to be a successful member of society and a major part of that is education. If you are so upset about teaching to a test, you should be heading to Austin and letting them know that. Have any of you ever written your legislatures? Did you know that there is a day every year parents go to the State Capitol and rally for our students? I bet you have never attended. RHHS didn't meet State standards. I think a more rigorous curriculum might be in order. Blame the state for STAAR and not RISD. Bravo to RISD for raising the bar for our students. Long time coming!! The implementation might have been flawed, but no one is perfect and I believe they have altered things to adjust. There are many teachers who are no longer stressed now because they understand it better and have actually said, they are benefiting from it. Keep up the good work RISD!
MCHIS

Dallas, TX

#6 Oct 18, 2012
That's a great comment. Also, glad you are able to go to Austin on the behalf of other parents in RISD to help all of our students. I agree with most of what you say, but haven't seen any complaints about raising the bar. The complaint is about how parents are being shut out by the implementation of this curriculum. Maybe that was not the intent, but that is what is happening. I do hope that the district continues to make this work for everyone. They mentioned a parent portal that will provide parents information - this isn't available yet and frankly I am skeptical about what useful information it will provide. Parents are responsible for the education of their children and the best way to do that is to be a partner with our schools. I don't see that yet, but am optomistic.
funny

Dallas, TX

#7 Oct 19, 2012
MCHIS wrote:
That's a great comment. Also, glad you are able to go to Austin on the behalf of other parents in RISD to help all of our students. I agree with most of what you say, but haven't seen any complaints about raising the bar. The complaint is about how parents are being shut out by the implementation of this curriculum. Maybe that was not the intent, but that is what is happening. I do hope that the district continues to make this work for everyone. They mentioned a parent portal that will provide parents information - this isn't available yet and frankly I am skeptical about what useful information it will provide. Parents are responsible for the education of their children and the best way to do that is to be a partner with our schools. I don't see that yet, but am optomistic.
RISD always asks for parent feedback... After they have made their decision... This way they have covered their bases... Looks good in the newspaper when the RISD says we did this based on feedback from parents. It's the way RISD does attendance zone meetings, Rachel's challenge, etc...
KTA

Dallas, TX

#8 Oct 19, 2012
My child is in 6th grade and doing great. I would like to commend the staff at Hartman. The children do not know there's anything different. I asked my schooler and her friend if they had ever heard of cscope, no was the answer. My only concern is not knowing where to help my child if she misses a question on a test since we can't see them. I hear l the fuss about cscope and I think people are making it a bigger deal than it is. I love that my child is learning a higher level of thinking. Change is hard for everyone but I think we have some of the finest teachers in the state. They will do everything in their power to make this experience great for our kids. Things will get easier with time. Teaching to a test is not something I think improves the education of our children but they have to do it.
cindy

Rockwall, TX

#9 Oct 20, 2012
My child from 1st grade to now 10th grade has always done amazing in school, but only because she studies 24/7 & does any extra credit work Completely on her own. She does all the extra work because she can not pass a text and has rarely ever done so. If you call out questions, she knows the answer, but not on test day. She has now given up hope of doing all the extras because she is now pulling 70's when she was pulling A & B's . A couch told the students last week," that not testing well was a cop out & that he didn't buy it"
Janice VanCleave

Buffalo, TX

#10 Oct 25, 2012
The idea that CSCOPE is rigorous, reminds me of the children's book, "The Emperor's New Clothes." Tailors convinced the Emperor they had a special cloth that anyone who couldn't see it was stupid and not fit for their position. The Emperor couldn't see the cloth and was not clothed in a parade. No one would say anything because they were so convinced they were stupid because they couldn't see the clothes. A small child blurted out the truth--
Superintendents and school board members are not having CSCOPE materials evaluated by their teachers. Instead, they like the Emperor are swallowing the sales pitch of a vendor. Like the Emperor, superintendents have spend money and are trying to convince teachers that they are stupid. Teachers were even forced to sign a CSCOPE non-disclosure document preventing them from revealing the content of the CSCOPE lessons.
See www.TxCscopeReview.com for more CSCOPE disclosures.
Testing

Rockwall, TX

#11 Dec 22, 2012
I think it is a cop out. I saw where RISD wants the state to back off of the standardized testing and made an official "proclamation".... But then they purchase a curriculum that does just that, teaches to the test. This whole thing stinks. I have heard that teachers have to sign a contract on the spot about sharing cscope information, etc. what is this, the cure for cancer? I was told it was because of copyright....every book you read is too. Wth? Anything that takes parents out of the loop has nefarious purposes. You can count on that. For years the cry was, "if parents would just get involved in their child's education...". Well, this curriculum shuts the parents out. Something wrong with that. My question is, why all the secrecy? If 75% of the ISDs are already using it, why keep it under lock and key? I pay taxes and so does every resident and parent in the district... My money purchased this curriculum, and I should have the right to decide if it is in line with expectations. Lots of rumors about it as well. It would go a long way in quieting those rumors if we were able to see. The implementation was crappy and I think it is indicative of a disrespect by our over-sized administration passing the buck and letting the chips fall where they may.
Drill Here

Warrenton, VA

#12 Mar 8, 2013
Check out how bad it really is!

http://www.glennbeck.com/2013/03/07/exposing-...
MeSelf

Rockwall, TX

#13 Mar 8, 2013
1. Teachers can be criminally prosecuted for revealing CSCOPE details to parents.

2. Teachers will be fired for any public criticism of CSCOPE

3. CSCOPE describes the Boston Tea Party as an "act of terrorism"

4. Conversely, CSCOPE presents murders by the Black Panthers as "protest strategies".

5. CSCOPE presents Marxism as a nirvana.

Much more, but you get the idea. If we had a functioning press in Rockwall, people might know about this.
yep

Arlington, TX

#14 Mar 9, 2013
If we had a functioning school board this would be at the top of their list!
really

Crandall, TX

#15 Mar 10, 2013
KTA wrote:
My child is in 6th grade and doing great. I would like to commend the staff at Hartman. The children do not know there's anything different. I asked my schooler and her friend if they had ever heard of cscope, no was the answer. My only concern is not knowing where to help my child if she misses a question on a test since we can't see them. I hear l the fuss about cscope and I think people are making it a bigger deal than it is. I love that my child is learning a higher level of thinking. Change is hard for everyone but I think we have some of the finest teachers in the state. They will do everything in their power to make this experience great for our kids. Things will get easier with time. Teaching to a test is not something I think improves the education of our children but they have to do it.
You are one in a thousand!! Be thankful.
michelle

Lockhart, TX

#16 Mar 10, 2013
I is stopping it please join me at sckool bored Monday the 18rh I will skip council to bes at sckool board to preach about ccscope. Praying!!!!
anonymous

Rockwall, TX

#17 Mar 17, 2013
Funny thing is that we were doing much better with our education system before 1974. The literacy level was higher in reading, writing and arithmetic. This is not a plan to improve our kids knowledge or have us at the top of the world again. It is something deeper. If you do not believe that the feds are using our children to push an agenda then you are sadly mistaken. They will be after homeschoolers again soon.
Accountability

Rockwall, TX

#18 Mar 24, 2013
Several questions about the RISD. Where did Csope come from? How long is this contract? With everything out about Csope why hasn't RISD cancelled it?
Question

Rockwall, TX

#19 Mar 24, 2013
Does Bailey's daughter go to Rockwall schools or is it true she still goes to school in Plano?
Ban the Communists

Dallas, TX

#20 Mar 28, 2013
Here is information about CSOPE
http://openchannel.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03/...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rockwall Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OneBody in Yahawashi, Dallas TX: Obnoxious Hate... 1 hr Oprah W Zone 7
Jerry Jones F'ed Up 12 hr Dwaine Caraway 10
Add A Word Drop A Word (Nov '12) Mon Princess Hey 1,564
Really People Oct 15 Mike Nudzak 11
AT&T Premises Technician Pay?... (Oct '07) Oct 13 WarForOil 9,943
John Wile E Coyote Price Oct 13 John Wile E Coyot... 1
FBI at Park in Garland by Springcreek Elementary Oct 12 Guest 2

Rockwall Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance