Speed Cameras

There are 146 comments on the WUSA Washington, DC story from Mar 12, 2007, titled Speed Cameras. In it, WUSA Washington, DC reports that:

Montgomery County's automated speed enforcement program is the first in Maryland to enforce speed limits in residential areas and school zones with a speed limit of 35 mph or less.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WUSA Washington, DC.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Steve

United States

#1 Mar 12, 2007
What the heck is a "mobile speed enforcement vehicle"? Is it a cop car or an unmarked vehicle??
lilkunta

Ashburn, VA

#2 Mar 12, 2007
I am for making sure everyone is safe, especially in elementary school zones since kids are little. But $60 tickets! What if the driver was going 16mph in a 15moh zone?
Samuel Foster

AOL

#3 Mar 12, 2007
Anything that is done to increase safety is fine with me. Children's safety seems to be the priority.
VA Mom

Washington, DC

#4 Mar 12, 2007
I think its a good idea. Everyday I get nasty finger displays, lights flashed at me, cussed at you name it and all because I am driving 25 in a school zone when the lights are on. Something needs to be done to slow people down. Kids need to be safe!
Miriam Atkin

Troy, MI

#6 Mar 12, 2007
Hooray for Montgomery County. What took you so long? Hope all the other counties in Maryland, Virginia and yes the District of Columbia follow suite.
John Wigle of Potomac

Herndon, VA

#7 Mar 12, 2007
The Price of a Human Life:
The reason police stop a speeding motorists in the first place is to prevent the driver from continuing to commit the crime. Like the police pursuit of yesterday, I guess the days of catching speeders has gone by too. It is just a matter of time before one survivor of those killed by speeding drivers brings a lawsuit against the county for not doing enough along these "problem spots". I remember the big fatal accident on the GW Parkway about five or more years ago when two speeders decided to race each other. The Park Police considered speed cameras then, but gave up the idea after realizing they left themselves open to a lawsuit (tort case) for failure to act (omission). Maybe Montgomery County should rethink the use of cameras too and consider hiring more police and increasing their traffic patrols. But if it is all about the money, then it makes perfect “cents.” Any lawsuits brought by aggrieved families can easily be settled for cash and the county can still retain a profit from the revenue the cameras are expected to generate. I would like to think better of my Government, but I have grown wise in my older years.
richard

Brentwood, TN

#8 Mar 12, 2007
Speed limits are for a reason and that is , of course , safety. But I was wondering if this applies to the average school bus driver? Around this area it's not unusual to see school buses exceding the posted speed limit by more than 10 or 15mph. This should be interesting!
John Wigle of Potomac

Herndon, VA

#9 Mar 12, 2007
One more thing...
Not to make light of a very serious issue, but would it not be absurd to have a camera system also spot drunk drivers and mail them tickets too?
Steve

United States

#10 Mar 13, 2007
John Wigle of Potomac wrote:
One more thing...
Not to make light of a very serious issue, but would it not be absurd to have a camera system also spot drunk drivers and mail them tickets too?
Yeah, when Big Brother ensures cars are equipped with alcohol sensing devices that send that info through your GPS/cell phone to authorities. Oh, Brave New World! "We are not worthy to decide for ourselves. We are mere humans. Please, Big Brother, tell us how we shall act."
Hari Dev Bhatia

United States

#11 Mar 13, 2007
Wonderful. Montgomery County needs to be congratulated and deserves appreciation for such innovative methods to educate public. This is the best place to live. Have been round a lot of countries and within USA. Nowhere have we found such public concerns and facilities.
2. Wonder, but, why the small Ride On buses are running empty, thus exhausting fumes polluting environment without doing any good. People shun or do not need bus services. ONE SUGGESTION: EITHER SUCH ROUTES BE CHARGED NO FARE, OR WHOEVER RIDES THEM SHOULD BE OFFERED INCENTIVE REWARDS FOR RIDING ON IT.
Ruth Offutt

Washington, DC

#12 Mar 13, 2007
What about camera in the Rockville city limit
Ruth Offutt

Washington, DC

#13 Mar 13, 2007
What about cameras in the Rockville city limit?
LHP

Brentwood, TN

#14 Mar 14, 2007
The bucks raised from this enterprise should go,exclucively,to provideing convient, cheap (or free) public transportation.
Jossie

Washington, DC

#18 Mar 30, 2007
Jermaine wrote:
<quoted text>
You all are gay, You do realize these cameras are not only in school zones do you? And for the people that get the finger and high beams...umm... maybe u deserve it and need to learn to drive in todays society. Yall are all a bunch of bitchs. lucky for me, got the radar n all to detect that shit, and got the list of all intended speed camies. peace losers
Sounds like a well educated upstanding person of society. I was really hoping he would have closed his statement with peace bitches....I think that would have made my week....haha
Concerned

Mission, KS

#19 May 25, 2007
I agree with posting the camera's in school zones. It's the other areas that concern me. The beltway and major roads would be a problem.... To many people who don't know they're there will be zooming in and out of traffic because people are driving the speed limit. That will definitely make it more dangerous for the rest of us!
Gary

Hyattsville, MD

#20 Aug 23, 2007
richard wrote:
Speed limits are for a reason and that is , of course , safety. But I was wondering if this applies to the average school bus driver? Around this area it's not unusual to see school buses exceding the posted speed limit by more than 10 or 15mph. This should be interesting!
Not only school buses, but also trash trucks (Rockville), METRO and RIDE-ON. There is no enforcement.

I live directly at an elementary school and have for years witnessed school buses speeding and running a stop sign in front of my house. Finally called the school board and there was very little interest on their part. Said they would put a trainer with the driver. Trainer rides one day and the driver is speeding again the next.

There is no true concern for public safety. It is only a venue for politicians to appeal to the voters.

Mobile speed enforcement is their setting up a camera in a unmarked vehicle to be parked at a certain spot for a certain amount of time.
Gary

Hyattsville, MD

#21 Aug 23, 2007
Steve wrote:
<quoted text> Yeah, when Big Brother ensures cars are equipped with alcohol sensing devices that send that info through your GPS/cell phone to authorities. Oh, Brave New World! "We are not worthy to decide for ourselves. We are mere humans. Please, Big Brother, tell us how we shall act."
It seems enough of us continually drive under the influence of drugs (narcotics and prescription) and/or alchohol. Most need to be reminded how to act.
complich8

Greenbelt, MD

#23 Sep 2, 2007
Gary wrote:
Mobile speed enforcement is their setting up a camera in a unmarked vehicle to be parked at a certain spot for a certain amount of time.
As far as I know (via my roommate), the vehicle in question is, in fact, marked. It's a van with cameras and radars in it, and apparently has something like "speed enforcement vehicle" on the sides. They pretty much just park it by the side of the street they're doing enforcement on at any given stretch of time. Apparently it gets parked somewhere on Nelson street once or twice a week during the morning commute times, where my roommate regularly passes it.
Scott

Oxon Hill, MD

#24 Oct 30, 2007
I'm with Jermaine, you guys are sheep. Speed cameras are about revenue gathering only. Just one more step toward a police state where liberty and privacy no longer exist.
Gary

Hyattsville, MD

#25 Nov 7, 2007
Scott wrote:
I'm with Jermaine, you guys are sheep. Speed cameras are about revenue gathering only. Just one more step toward a police state where liberty and privacy no longer exist.
So your personal view regarding our society is that there should be no traffic law and everyone do as he/she/it/mutant damn well pleases (not that they don't already)?

I really do not see why Mont. Cty. bothers with traffic control devices. No one pays any attention to them, including police. Think of the tax dollars that could be saved.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rockville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 18TH ST. GANG: 4 charged in teen's slaying in G... (Jun '09) Sep 2 18bigMtf 27
News Doctors Are Harming Fat Patients By Advising Th... Aug '17 Humanspirit 1
News Watch this Md. firm's video on the eclipse's so... Aug '17 Solarman 1
News Gaithersburg graduate bound for college on socc... Aug '17 Larry 1
News Montgomery County Council to vote on Potomac Ri... Jul '17 oscor 1
News Daytime mall slashing occurred at behest of 16-... Jul '17 victor 1
News First lady: Barron Trump to attend private Epis... May '17 darkness falls 1

Rockville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rockville Mortgages