Gables on Tuckerman? Any thoughts

Posted in the Rockville Forum

Vick

New York, NY

#1 Nov 11, 2008
Just wanted to see what people thought of the Gables on Tuckerman condos? I was thinking about buying there.
Pearl Stella

Washington, DC

#2 Nov 24, 2008
Great location! Close to everything you need but set in a wooded area surrounded by trees. The swimming pools and tennis courts are great to make friends and enjoy the summer months. Can walk to Metro, White Flint Mall and other resources.
Former Renter

Washington, DC

#3 Nov 25, 2008
Great location in that you can walk to Metro, White Flint Mall, and a bunch of local restaurants. Good mix of tenants: mostly singles, some families. I got to know my neighbors fairly well. Pools are nice and the neighborhood behind the Gables are good for walking the dog, etc. My only word of advice is to make sure you definitely hire a building inspector to check things out before you buy. The condo that I was renting must have been on a lopsided foundation as a couple of my kitchen drawers would randomly roll open and the water in my fish tank was not level due to the way the building settled. When I was poking around up in the attic (I rented out an upper unit), the studs nailed into the roof frame had pulled out a good few inches due to the settling on the one side of the building. Not sure if this is the case for all of the buildings there, but it was for the one I rented. Good luck!
Vick

New York, NY

#4 Dec 2, 2008
that does help. Thanks alot. I like the two stories and the personal enterance. Makes it kinda feel like a townhouse. Still havent bought but im leaning towards gables.
Dianne

Bethesda, MD

#5 Dec 4, 2008
What is the situation on renting there? Would it be possible to rent before you buy?
Julie

Des Moines, IA

#7 Dec 4, 2008
I rented at the Gables for a year. I agree about the quality of the construction, make sure you get a good building inspector. The sound proofing isn't the greatest but is still better than most new construction now adays. Some of the units seemed to have drainage problems. Ours pooled near the entrance to our 2 level condo. Regardless the location can't be beat. I wish I could move back! Buying anywhere near Metro around here is a good bet as property values will nearly always increase. You also have access to a bike trail that winds through a couple of neighborhoods but eventually takes you to Georgetown in DC if you want to ride that far. And the neighborhood is gorgeous in Spring time with all the plant life. Parking was never an issue either. There were always plenty of spaces where my unit was. Good luck!
Greg

United States

#8 Dec 30, 2008
Very nice community with great accessibility to 270,495 and the DC Metro. My wife and I purchased because they accept dogs (most condo's in the Bethesda/Rockville area do not)and because of the split level (2 levels stacked) configuration which made us feel like this was more of a "home" and less of an apartment.

The configurations vary widely (not just 1,2,3 br) but also split level, extra half bathrooms, locations in the community (some are better for parking or provide nice water views) some have balconies and patios while others just have one or the other. Some are even single level.

Some of the soundproofing issues are more of a problem in the downstairs units so I would recommend trying to find one that is the upstairs version.

Also current rent rates in the community are $1895 for a 2br 2 bath condo from what I saw advertised recently.
Melvin

Bethesda, MD

#9 Jan 26, 2009
I live there and the qualitiy of the construction is as cheap as it can get (only a house out of true cardboard can top it), the worst i have so far experienced. I but a heave desk on one side of my room and the floor settled and a dent appeared.
I had a repair for the air-condition and that guy said he would not pay more then 150.000 $ for the unit, it is not worth it. Anyway check the rules and regulations and be aware that you can get fined for basically everything you do. It might be better to check for a at grosvenor park or avalon or 10101.

good luck
David

Bethesda, MD

#10 Feb 19, 2009
I have been living here since 2005 and i couldn't be happier. The location is unbeatable and the community gives you a home feel rather than an apartment feel. Parking is very more than sufficient and the pool and tennis courts are great. The gym is very outdated which would be my one and only complaint. Just before i moved in, the association collected 4500 per unit to upgrade the rotted wood on EVERY unit, replace balconies if needed, repave the sidewalks and parking lot and resurface the tennis courts. So now the work is mostly completed and you have a brand new looking condo. The multiple parks and running paths make it a perfect place to live if you have a dog.

I agree with similar posts about hearing noise from other units. But it is mostly only when my neighbor walks up their hardwood stairs with heels or plays kereokie. I have never heard anyone on either side of me talking or anything like that. But you will get some noise in ANY multi-level style condo / townhouse no matter what. Especially with the "slapped up" new condos built all around rockville / bethesda, this place is better than those, trust me.
Laura

Gaithersburg, MD

#11 Aug 3, 2009
I am interested in purchasing a 1 bedroom condo there as well. I feel in love with the area, and it seems to be a great deal. Can anyone tell me what their average utilities are? I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of buying a place with a condo fee that has utilities included vs a place where you pay your own utilities. This would be my first home purchase and I would be living by myself, so do you feel the community is safe and secured?
Lisa

United States

#12 Aug 24, 2009
Your utilities bill will depend on the season and if you live on the top or bottom level. In summer, my bottom level unit is cool and we hardly have to run the a/c whereas my upstairs neighbor's is always running. I suspect we have to run the heat a little more in the winter. It's a great neighborhood and I'm glad that they fine and enforce the rules. I disagree with the poster who complained that you can get "fined for basically everything you do." I wouldn't want to live in a neighborhood where people hang clothes and store old junk on their balconies or where people change their oil in the parking lot. Tacky.
Rented there before

Bethesda, MD

#13 Sep 12, 2009
Don't judge a book by its cover! The area is nice, homey, and cute from the outside, but the condo's are made of cardboard. I rented an upper level unit and while it was nice, the walls are "paper" thin. I have never lived someplace with thinner walls. I could hear the chick in the condo below me having sex with her boyfriend whenever it happened. Now, I actually did consider renting there again (couple years later) because I figured if I got a top unit and upstairs room (they're 2 level condo's) then I wouldn't hear the people below me. Unfortunately, none within the price range were available so I went with the downstairs unit to rent. After a day there I had to get out of the lease. You hear EVERY FOOTSTEP from above. I am not kidding. Along with that, the water pressure was horrible. It just wasn't worth it. I was able to get out of the lease before moving all my stuff in. Overall, this place is nice on the outside, but you can do MUCH better if you want a quality home. Just my experience, but maybe you will luck out.
Lydia

Potomac, MD

#14 Sep 29, 2009
Hi, I have a condo in Gables on Tuckerman for rent at $2000/mo. If anyone is interested please contact me at lydia_20854@yahoo.com

Thanks.
Lydia

Potomac, MD

#15 Sep 29, 2009
Dianne wrote:
What is the situation on renting there? Would it be possible to rent before you buy?
Hi, my family has a condo for rent starting Nov. at $2000/mo. Please contact me if you are interested.
rita

Bethesda, MD

#17 Feb 3, 2012
Hi I have a condo for rent in Gables on Tuckerman. Its a split individual level with separate entrance, patio, balcony, fireplace, water view. Can be furnished or unfurnished. Looking to rent as of March 2012. Please contact me at ajune64@yahoo.com
steve

Rockville, MD

#19 Jan 8, 2013
I cant find any info on what the condo fees are for this community. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know it includes water, trash, and use of the pool and gym.
Andrea

Rockville, MD

#20 Jan 29, 2013
Hi, I am interested in renting a split-level 1 bedroom in this community. I am currently on lease until October in downtown Bethesda, but if the right space opened up, I could sublease my current apartment. Thanks for any information! Please contact me at andrea.anysia@gmail.com.
Chris

Washington, DC

#21 Jul 22, 2014
Current HOA fees are $359 per month.
There is a one time yearly fee of $315(ish) for use of the pool during the summer months.
Location is great!
Neighbors are mostly shitty.
Condo association is useless for the money you pay.
Parking is terrible.
There are many many construction issues. Condos are 25 years old and if aren't maintained alot of things can/will go wrong now that they are getting up there in years.
Not a family atmosphere either, if you have kids.
Private entrance is a plus tho.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rockville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking for his father Jan 17 Santa Claus 2
Revealed: Md. government colluded with abortion... Jan 14 cpeter1313 1
Cop Gone Bad Gets Justice In Violent Guatemala ... (Jun '09) Jan 12 Turtlebcrazy 15
Rockville Under Freezing Rain Advisory Dec '14 Rover 1
Girl, 12, Missing Since Monday Morning (Sep '08) Dec '14 Bill 59
Montgomery County Council bills address HOA, co... Dec '14 Gerald Vonberger 1
Navigating the Holidays When You Have Depression Dec '14 marywarner777 2
Rockville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Rockville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News