Wal-Mart Met With Mixed Reactions

Wal-Mart Met With Mixed Reactions

There are 3 comments on the Patch.com story from Jan 26, 2012, titled Wal-Mart Met With Mixed Reactions. In it, Patch.com reports that:

An 80,000-square-foot Wal-Mart planned for Rockville Pike is stirring mixed and sometimes passionate reactions from Rockville City Council members, residents and shop owners.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Patch.com.

Kate

Rockville, MD

#1 Jan 27, 2012
Walmart should not be permitted to have a location on Rockville Pike. There are many small business owners that would be hurt if they go in. Also, Walmart does not support USA made products. In my opinion everyone should be supporting stores that carry domestically made products whenever they can or at least buying from a local store. If you shop at Walmart, you have no right to complain about our economy. Another reason to prevent them from coming is that one thing that makes Rockville special is its family owned shops. Walmart has been the downfall of many unique communities. We should not let it happen to us!
Election 2012

Washington, DC

#2 Feb 16, 2012
Kate wrote:
Walmart should not be permitted to have a location on Rockville Pike. There are many small business owners that would be hurt if they go in. Also, Walmart does not support USA made products. In my opinion everyone should be supporting stores that carry domestically made products whenever they can or at least buying from a local store. If you shop at Walmart, you have no right to complain about our economy. Another reason to prevent them from coming is that one thing that makes Rockville special is its family owned shops. Walmart has been the downfall of many unique communities. We should not let it happen to us!
An inconvenient truth: Consumers spend lots of money at Wal-Mart. Right now, there is nothing wrong with that.
NotSmart

Potomac, MD

#3 Mar 24, 2012
It is not Walmart that is not supporting US made products. Blame it instead on the big greedy corporations that are fixed on profits and GREED and continuously outsourcing.
Also, the rest of the world is moving UP and can now manufacture the same goods as the USA at lower prices, while the US has not moved up as fast on the production chain to produce higher quality goods. Blame it on the US education system that has not been able to upgrade skills for the majority, or the lack on a national American industrial policy.
But I agree that Walmart or any big box has no place on Rockville Pike. There will be traffic meltdown! I thought they are applying for a mini Walmart at Aspen Hill in an empty ex-office.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rockville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trial date set for man accused of kidnapping Ju... (Nov '14) Apr 10 Gotchabih 4
News Gaithersburg teen who died after a fight had a ... Feb '18 oscor 3
News Chelsea Manning files for US Senate bid in Mary... Jan '18 TerriB1 13
News Chelsea Manning confirms US Senate run Jan '18 guest 3
News Transgender WikiLeaks source Chelsea Manning to... Jan '18 General Kabaka Oba 2
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Maryland (... (Oct '10) Jan '18 FireFellow44 20
Rockville Music Forum (Nov '12) Oct '17 Musikologist 16

Rockville Jobs

Personal Finance

Rockville Mortgages