Amy Dugas extradited from Tennessee t...

Amy Dugas extradited from Tennessee to Maine

Posted in the Rockvale Forum

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Cindy

AOL

#1 Sep 22, 2006
A former Waldoboro resident who was acquitted in April 2005 of the murder of her husband, may be charged with violating her probation in another case, after being arrested for domestic assault in Tennessee.

Maine Probation Officer Patrick Delahantey said Friday that Amy Dugas, 37, who now lives in Tennessee has been arrested for domestic assault, but has not been formally charged. Delahantey said he was unsure of the town where Dugas now resides.

He said Dugas, who is serving two years probation for assault on an officer, was allowed to move to Tennessee through the interstate compact, which is common practice and allows a person to serve their probation in another state.

If Dugas is charged with the crime, Delahantey said, it is up to his office and the District Attorney’s Office whether they would bring Dugas back to Maine to face probation violation charges.

“I can’t imagine the decision to extradite her wouldn’t be made,” he said.

In April 2005, Dugas was found not guilty of all charges in connection with the June 2004 stabbing death of her husband, Mark Dugas. In addition to being charged with murder, Dugas also was charged with biting Maine State Police Trooper Jason Andrews on the finger the night of the stabbing. Dugas, who testified during the trial, stated she was acting in self-defense after her husband attacked her.

Dugas is serving two years probation for a separate assault charge against a Lincoln County Sheriff’s deputy.

In September 2005, she was sentenced to 330 days in jail for kicking her husband in the eye with a boot on Feb. 26, 2004 at his friend’s home in Jefferson. Dugas was only required to serve 23 days in jail for the charge, since she had served 10 months awaiting trial for the murder charge.

She also was sentenced to two years, with all but 307 days suspended, for kicking a Lincoln County sheriff’s deputy in the groin as he tried to arrest her on the assault charge. In addition, Dugas received a concurrent 15-day sentence for criminal mischief for damaging the cruiser’s window and a concurrent 10-day sentence for refusing to sign a summons.

During the murder trial, the jury was not permitted to hear that Dugas had been arrested for assaulting her husband and assaulting the police officer four months prior to the fatal stabbing.

Kim Lincoln can be reached at [email protected]
Cindy

AOL

#2 Sep 22, 2006
Amy Dugas, a former Waldoboro woman who was acquitted of the June 2004 stabbing of her husband Mark Dugas, will be bought back to Maine to face probation violation charges after being arrested in Tennessee.
Amy Dugas is serving two years probation for assault against her late husband and a sheriff’s deputy. The incident occurred in February 2004, prior to the stabbing.
The family of Mark Dugas said Thursday they are glad to see Amy Dugas would be extradited to face the charges and hope she will be ordered to carry out the remainder of her sentence. The family said they are concerned whether the state of Tennessee will pursue charges against her.
Patrick Delahanty, Dugas’ probation officer, said the state of Maine requested a warrant through the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s National Crime Information Center Thursday morning. The NCIC is a database used by law enforcement to maintain information on individuals who have committed a felony or serious misdemeanors.
The probation officer said last week that Dugas had been arrested for domestic assault in Tennessee, but had not been charged.
As of Thursday, he said, that agency had still not pursued charges against her, but Maine can go ahead with probation violation charges based on the conduct itself.
A call to the Rutherford County District Attorney’s office in Murfreesboro, Tenn. to question whether Dugas would face charges in that state, was not returned by press time Friday.
Delahanty said that Tennessee needs to confirm Maine’s request, locate Dugas and bring her into custody. He said he hopes she will be extradited within two weeks. He said the probation officer in Tennessee has been in regular contact with her, but Delahanty is not sure of the town she lives in.
District Attorney Geoffrey Rushlau said that Dugas could be ordered to serve up to 14 months in jail, which is the remainder on her sentence, if she is found to have violated any conditions of her release.
In April 2005, Dugas was found not guilty of all charges in connection with the June 2004 stabbing death of her husband. In addition to being charged with murder, Dugas was charged with biting Maine State Police Trooper Jason Andrews on the finger the night of the stabbing. Dugas, who testified during the trial, stated she acted in self-defense after her husband attacked her.
Dugas is serving two years probation for a separate assault charge against a Lincoln County Sheriff’s deputy.
In Sept. 2005, she was sentenced to 330 days in jail for kicking her husband in the eye with a boot on Feb. 26, 2004 at his friend’s home in Jefferson. Dugas was required to serve 23 days in jail for the charge, since she had served 10 months awaiting trial for the murder charge.
She also was sentenced to two years ,with all but 307 days suspended, for kicking a Lincoln County Sheriff’s Deputy in the groin as he tried to arrest her on the assault charge. In addition, Dugas received a concurrent 15-day sentence for criminal mischief for damaging the cruiser’s window and a concurrent 10-day sentence for refusing to sign a summons.
During the murder trial, the jury was not permitted to hear that Dugas has been arrested for assaulting her husband and assaulting the police officer four months prior to the fatal stabbing.
Don

South Portland, ME

#3 Sep 23, 2006
Patrick Delahanty, Dugas’ probation officer, said the state of Maine requested a warrant through the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s National Crime Information Center Thursday morning. The NCIC is a database used by law enforcement to maintain information on individuals who have committed a felony or serious misdemeanors.
The probation officer said last week that Dugas had been arrested for domestic assault in Tennessee, but had not been charged.
As of Thursday, he said, that agency had still not pursued charges against her, but Maine can go ahead with probation violation charges based on the conduct itself.
A call to the Rutherford County District Attorney’s office in Murfreesboro, Tenn. to question whether Dugas would face charges in that state, was not returned by press time Friday.
Delahanty said that Tennessee needs to confirm Maine’s request, locate Dugas and bring her into custody. He said he hopes she will be extradited within two weeks. He said the probation officer in Tennessee has been in regular contact with her, but Delahanty is not sure of the town she lives in.
District Attorney Geoffrey Rushlau said that Dugas could be ordered to serve up to 14 months in jail, which is the remainder on her sentence, if she is found to have violated any conditions of her release.
In April 2005, Dugas was found not guilty of all charges in connection with the June 2004 stabbing death of her husband. In addition to being charged with murder, Dugas was charged with biting Maine State Police Trooper Jason Andrews on the finger the night of the stabbing. Dugas, who testified during the trial, stated she acted in self-defense after her husband attacked her.
In Sept. 2005, she was sentenced to 330 days in jail for kicking her husband in the eye with a boot on Feb. 26, 2004 at his friend’s home in Jefferson. Dugas was required to serve 23 days in jail for the charge, since she had served 10 months awaiting trial for the murder charge.
She also was sentenced to two years ,with all but 307 days suspended, for kicking a Lincoln County Sheriff’s Deputy in the groin as he tried to arrest her on the assault charge. In addition, Dugas received a concurrent 15-day sentence for criminal mischief for damaging the cruiser’s window and a concurrent 10-day sentence for refusing to sign a summons.
During the murder trial, the jury was not permitted to hear that Dugas has been arrested for assaulting her husband and assaulting the police officer four months prior to the fatal stabbing.
Helen Dugas of Rockport, Mark Dugas’ mother, said Thursday that she thinks it is a good idea that Amy Dugas is being brought back to Maine. She added that since she is on probation, she should be ordered to come back and face the violation.
Cindy Dickinson of Camden, who was once married to Mark Dugas, said she also was glad to know that Dugas would be extradited, but she said it worries her that they may not pursue any charges against her in Tennessee.
“It may fall through the cracks down there in some legal loophole,” Dickinson said.
Dickinson said she hopes that Dugas will be brought back and ordered to serve the remainder of her sentence and while she is incarcerated, Dugas can get the help she needs.
However, Dickinson said she has doubts in the system. She thinks the law needs to be changed so those assault charges could have been heard during the murder trial or so that it could have been heard before the trial.
Dickinson said she has been contacting newspapers and radio stations in Rutherford County, Tenn. to get them interested in the story. She said it is important for the public to know this woman’s past. Last she knew, Dickinson said, Dugas was living in Rockvale, Tenn.
“I’m going to continue to pursue this — somebody has to,” Dickinson said.
Don

South Portland, ME

#4 Sep 23, 2006

District Attorney Geoffrey Rushlau said Friday that it is unclear how long it will take to return Dugas to Maine.

"I understand that she has been arrested in Tennessee, but I'm not sure what the next stage in that state is — if she will be made immediately available to us or if she faces court proceedings down there before she is made available," said Rushlau.

Amy Dugas.

In April 2005, a Lincoln County jury declared Dugas, formerly of Waldoboro, not guilty of murdering her husband, Mark Dugas. Amy Dugas testified that her husband attacked her with a knife.

Dugas had been charged in the stabbing death of her 39-year-old husband at the couple's home on Winslow Mills Road on June 4, 2004. She was originally charged with assault. A grand jury elevated the charge to murder, setting aside the lesser charge.

Following her acquittal, Dugas was slated to plead no contest to charges of assaulting her husband and a deputy during an incident in February 2004, three months before the incident that claimed the life of Mark Dugas.

Instead, Dugas rejected the plea agreement and sought a jury trail. In September 2005, Dugas was convicted by a Cumberland County jury of the two assault charges. She was sentenced to 330 days in jail for the attack on her husband and 307 days for the attack on the Lincoln County Sheriff's deputy. She was also sentenced to serve two years of probation and, with credit for 10 months of jail time served, she served another three weeks and then relocated to live with relatives in Tennessee.

Rushlau said on Friday that Dugas is facing up to 14 months incarceration if she is found to have violated conditions of probation.

"If she is ordered to serve more than nine of the 14 months, then she'll be required to serve them in prison, not jail," said Rushlau.

Rushlau learned from the District Attorney's Office in Tennessee that the domestic assault charges brought against her there had been "retired."

Rushlau said that, as he understands it, Dugas appeared in court with the alleged victim and her case was continued without a finding of guilt for up to one year with certain, unknown stipulations. As long as she abides by the stipulations set by the court, the case will essentially go away after a year.

"We call it filing here but I'm not in favor of it because without a plea, you have to start from scratch if the defendant fails to meet the stipulations," said Rushlau.

Rushlau said that the closest thing Maine has to a case retirement is a "deferred disposition," but it differs in that the defendant must enter a plea to seal the deal.

It's his assumption, Rushlau said, that the authorities in Tennessee were unaware of Dugas past history and probation status when they agreed to retire the recent domestic assault charge.

"It appears that's what happened down there," said Rushlau. "They were not aware of her history up here so they treated her like it was a first-time offense, which it is not."
Cindy

AOL

#5 Sep 25, 2006
It's hard to believe that the Tennessee authorities were unaware of her probation status. It scares me to think she once again has slipped thru the system. Does someone else need to die before she's stopped?
Heidi

United States

#6 Sep 25, 2006
I will never understand our justice system. The only thing I do understand is how terribly it has failed Mark Dugas and his family.
Cindy

AOL

#7 Sep 26, 2006
Rumer has it that Amy was arrested in Tennessee on the 22nd of September.
Phyllis

AOL

#8 Oct 6, 2006
I searched the internet for Amy Dugas and was horrifed by what I discovered. It is shocking that she is free to hurt others. I can't believe that Tennessee let her go. Will she serve time in Maine. I hope so. They should lock her up and throw away the key. My heart goes out to the Dugas family.
sue

Schaumburg, IL

#9 Oct 8, 2006
Amy Dugas was a manager of a Lavergne waffle house where she could get upset over anything and take that ten inch knife they work with and stab anybody. We in TN do not want her here we have enough crime here keep her in maine by the way she went through a name change and was going by Amy Bowen to get a job here check her record how many other people has she hurt
Sabrina C

Monson, MA

#10 Oct 13, 2006
Wow
sandy

Devault, PA

#11 Oct 14, 2006
amy what has the world come to we kill and we beat then we walk away. Let a man try something like that he will spend the rest of his life in jail, and if a minow child does it they get to be all over the news and medicated. But amy she is only 37 years old and a mother of two we can't lock her up what would the world thank of our justice system no let her go she might not hurt anybody else. she seems to have a problem with men and yet she has a young son that watched her kill a man. when is it his turn to die?? should we think about that. Hey got an idea lets lock him up in a state home so he will be safe while she walks the streets FREE don't forget to call in to probation, wait to have that beer
Tammy

Murfreesboro, TN

#12 Oct 17, 2006
I don't think that getting on the internet to bash Amy will bring Mark back it may make you feel better but it won't bring him back.In defence of the Waffle House that hired her if they were given the correct name they would have found that she was on probation.But with the charge how willing would you be to tell it guilty or not? You would do the same. you don't know the latest scoop however here you are again well I hope you can move on and forgive Amy for your own sanity
Cindy

AOL

#13 Oct 17, 2006
Hey Tammy,
For starters, no one is blaming the Waffle House for hiring Amy. She changed her name to hide her guilt. As far as bashing Amy on the internet, ever hear of freedom of speech. We are all entitled to our own opinions. And the facts are the facts. She has been found guilty of domestic assault,is on probation and she has done it again. As far as my sanity is concerned, it's not my sanity you should be questioning. I have moved on from that horrible tragedy of Mark's death. We just do not want someone else to die at her hands. You mention that we don't know the latest scoop from Tennessee. Why don't you enlighten us.
Heidi

United States

#14 Oct 17, 2006
hey Tammy,

we are all very sane people here who loved Mark, and that's exactly why we will never forgive her.
TAMMY

Nashville, TN

#15 Oct 17, 2006
I COMPLETLY UNDERSTAND YOUR PAIN A FRIEND OF MY WAS KILLED BY HER HUSBAND AND NOT ENOUGH PEOPLE TAKE THE TIME TO STAND UP FOR MURDER VICTOMS ALL I AM SAYING IS YOU HAVE TO FORGIVE THE PERSON FOR YOU NOT FOR THEM.AS FOR AMY SHE HAD US ALL FOOLED BUT THIS GOES TO SHOW YOU REALLY YOU DON'T KNOW PEOPLE ONLY WHAT THEY LET YOU SEE THIS ALSO SHOW'S THE PROBLEM WITH THE PROBATION SYSTEM ALTHOUGH THEY SHOULD HAVE CONFIRMED HER NAME THROUGH INTERSTATE THEY WILL NOW BUT WE ALL LEARN LESSION'S IN LIFE
TAMMY

Nashville, TN

#16 Oct 17, 2006
AS FOR THE SCOOP WHO KNOW'S THE TRUTH WE DIDN'T KNOW THIS UNTIL THE ARREST
TAMMY

Nashville, TN

#17 Oct 17, 2006
SO MUCH FOR FREEDOM OF SPEECH.MY LAST TWO POST HAVE BEEN DELETED.
Bobby

Nashville, TN

#18 Oct 17, 2006
Ok, I was just reading this forum. It seems like everyone is all up in arms about a murder. I can understand a lot of high emotions, but sometimes you really do have to move on. I think that was Tammy's greatest point. Every moment you spend dwelling about something that has been done just allows that action to have more power over you. It darkens your thoughts, when you could focus on something, anything, more positive.
Someone else made a good point about freedom of speech. I agree with that completely, although, as I said, you could focus on something more positive. But yeah... go ahead and get it all out. But couldn't you be spending this time educating the public about how dangerous a woman can be? In every pile of $hit a flower can grow. But it looks like some people are just stopping to smell the fertilizer.
Also on the topic of freedom of speech, I've noticed a couple of posts disappearing, including one by that Tammy mentioning that. How can you have a public forum, and then remove nonobjectional free speech? I do believe it was passed into law about 18 months ago that any free thinking forum must allow that free thought to stay, provided it doesn't conflict with any interests or agreements.
Please, people, you all have brains. Use them instead of responding to all of the silly little hormones that course through your bodies.

Kind regards,
Bobby Stanley
[email protected]
(Good email withheld)
Bobby

Nashville, TN

#19 Oct 17, 2006
I see that Tammy's posts are back. This makes me happy. Happy is good, like that cheese that comes in a can. I hope everyone can be a little more open, and a little less addicted to drama. I mean, watch TNT, they know drama.
Cindy

AOL

#20 Oct 18, 2006
I just want to clarify the fact that we have all moved on with our lives. I didn't start this forum to bash Amy. I started it to try and get the slow wheels of justice moving a little faster. The more people that get involved, the sooner changes can happen. It makes me sick that Amy can continue with this kind of behaviour and get away with it. Her history speaks for itself. Mark and her current boyfriend were not the only ones she has abused. The list goes on and on. I just don't want to see someone else die. The hardest thing I've ever had to do was to tell my daughter that Amy killed Daddy. And then to see the expression on her face when Amy was acquitted on the murder/manslaughter charges. No one should have to go thru that. Was it because the jury didn't believe that a woman was capable of such violence or is it a failure in our judicial system? Either way, she's still free. Unless she's in custody in Tennessee. Does anyone know what's happening down there?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rockvale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
caleb riddle (Jan '13) 19 hr Customers 3
News Oakland High teacher charged with 3 counts of S... 21 hr LoriInTN 2
Lady Janes Haircuts for men Wed Just another day 11
Racism Wed Guest 2
My safety was threatened on this page Tue Kristi Murre Smot... 1
News Anti-Islamic vandalism in Barfield area of Murf... Tue Jack 1
Brittany E Travis Tue Kristi Murre Smot... 2

Rockvale Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance