BP Toxic to restaurants

Posted in the Rockport Forum

amandacares

Floresville, TX

#1 May 14, 2012
Who checks the seafood that comes from the Gulf each day?
How can the customer be protected?

BP?s (BP) decision to dump nearly one million gallons of chemical dispersants into the Gulf of Mexico was probably an earnest, well-intentioned attempt to lessen the effects of this depressingly humongous environmental disaster. But these chemicals are likely to wreak havoc on the the billions of dollars of seafood that comes from the Gulf.

The dispersants, chiefly Corexit, work to break up oil so that it can be broken down more easily. BP has said it is using them, in part, to stem the tide of oil washing to shore and into fragile marshes.

That all sounds good, but the problem with chemicals like Corexit, outside the fact that they are inherently toxic, is that they don?t actually get rid of the oil ? they just spread it around. The result is that oil that normally would float on the surface now seeps deeper into the water where its various components, many of them toxic, become available to not only fish but the tiny plants and organisms that fish and other marine animals eat. In other words, the oil ? and human carcinogens like napthalenes, benzene, toluene and xylenes ? enters the food chain.

And as we?ve seen with mercury, once a toxin enters the ocean food chain, it can stay there for a long time. So ten years from now, when the black pelicans and thick globs of oil are gone, there will very likely still be seafood ? shrimp, bluefin tuna and maybe snapper and grouper ? that are contaminated with BP?s oil. This could mean a permanent end to the Gulf?s thriving seafood industry, a scenario some fisherman are already preparing for.

Oil floating about underneath the water is not theoretical. Teams of university scientists have already identified huge plumes down as much as 3,300 feet. But that didn?t stop BP?s CEO Tony Hayward from adding another entry to his list of boneheaded remarks when over the weekend he denied that there were any underwater plumes, even though multiple research teams have confirmed them.

BP has always contended that marine microbes will come to their rescue and ultimately break down the oil. But this sort of thing doesn?t happen overnight. University of Louisville microbiologist Ronald Atlas noted that it takes ?weeks to months to years, depending on the compounds and concentrations ? not hours or days.? And the farther down the water column oil goes, the longer it takes for microbes to do their job since colder, deeper waters inhibit microbial growth. And while Mother Nature slowly does her job, toxins enter the food chain.

Making matters worse, if that?s possible, the Corexit that?s been injected at the site of the oil spill, a mile below the surface, may have the unintended consequence of killing the microbes it is meant to help, thanks to the fact that it contains the toxic solvent 2-butoxyethanol.

And let?s not even talk about what happens if the oil gets into the Gulf Stream.

Since: Feb 12

Houston, TX

#2 May 22, 2012
You get more contaminants in a can of Coke than you will get in a plate of Gulf seafood. Learn to read.
amandacares

Floresville, TX

#3 Jun 1, 2012
Your comment was cruel and undeserving but knowing how you would come to that conclusion. I realize by your response I just stepped into your rice bowl. That is how you make a living, I had a senior moment. Your companies fix what nature and other destroy. I have a personal interest in what is served in a restaurant. I don't drink Coke. I grew up where lakes and streams were polluted. You were smart and made it a business...I have always respected you so next time a little rebuttal is good for the heart.
amandacares

Floresville, TX

#4 Jun 1, 2012
Although I care about the environment the real truth about restaurants in the Gulf unfortunate is as follows:

The New Settlement - What's Changed?

On March 2, 2012, the eve of a federal trial, BP agreed to a class action settlement of certain BP Oil Spill related claims with the Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee, which represented the interests of affected individuals and businesses throughout the Gulf Region in pending litigation. Although the settlement does not resolve all claims, it is a major “first step” towards that objective.

The settlement ushers in certain major changes to the oil spill compensation-recovery landscape. First, Kenneth Feinberg, who oversaw the claims administration process through the Gulf Coast Claims Facility (GCCF) will be relieved of his position. Second, the GCCF itself will be dissolved.

The GCCF will be replaced by court-supervised claims process that we hope and expect to be more even-handedly administered and more favorable to claimants. The final details of this process have not been released. However, according to the settlement, the amount of each claimant’s recovery will depend on the amount of the claimant’s losses, and the location of the business or individual.

Under the terms of the new settlement, the following three groups will be able to recover:

Economic Loss Claims - Individuals and businesses that suffered financial losses from the oil spill will be compensated within a framework intended to encompass all economic losses reasonably related to the spill.
Medical Benefits - Gulf Coast residents and clean-up workers who suffered acute or chronic illnesses from their exposure to oil and chemical dispersants in the weeks and months after the oil spill will be able to recover for their injuries. Residents in the coastal wetlands areas of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and the Florida Panhandle will be compensated for a broad range of specific medical conditions such as respiratory, skin, stomach, head and headaches, and a host of other ailments.
Affected Property Owners - Property owners and long-term lessees of waterfront properties in the affected coastal and wetlands region are eligible to receive compensation for loss of use and enjoyment of their property.
If the settlement formula does not adequately address your specific claim, you have the option to exclude yourself from the settlement process and continue with your lawsuit. We will review your specific claim to assist you in making that decision. If it is in your best interest to continue suit against BP directly, we are ready to continue that fight.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rockport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Con Man Posing as a minister in Rockport TX - ... (Mar '11) Dec 20 Anonymous 18
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Dec 17 98 Degree Diarrhea 595
Sabrina "Sissy" Smith (Nov '08) Dec 15 Becky Smith then ... 42
ashley ortiz (Sep '12) Dec 10 keeta 7
Aaron Putnam City Council PLEASE (Mar '12) Dec 8 Law dog 5
kristen brashear is a real bitch Dec 6 wolfman 1
looking for whoever drives a maroon gmc and a r... Dec 4 pebbles 1
Rockport Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Rockport People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Rockport News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Rockport