Polk schools
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jul 10

Rockmart, GA

#1 Jan 22, 2012
Is anyone having problems with the schools following 504 plans??

Almost Satisfied

“<><><><><><><><> <>”

Since: Dec 11

<><><><><><><><><><>

#2 Jan 23, 2012
no

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
hawg

Rome, GA

#3 Jan 23, 2012
smcgatha wrote:
Is anyone having problems with the schools following 504 plans??
Probably like everything else they don't do like they're supposed to. Why?
jackoftrade

Marietta, GA

#4 Jan 23, 2012
I will say this polk school district is the only school I have been at that works so hard to follow them. Have a student that went through rockmart and felt very blessed that the teachers took such good care of him! Of course I also had to bear some of the responsibility at home as well, I mean he is my son and I am the one responsible for him in the end.
Education supporter

United States

#5 Jan 23, 2012
I think it's unfortunate that parents feel they must blast the schools in a forum on the Internet. Why not volunteer their time to help the schools out instead of complaining about them. Come up there and spend some time and you will see just how difficult it is for the teachers to serve the role of not only teacher but counselor, parent, guardian, monitor, coach, oh and let's not forget lesson plans, grading, updating PowerSchool, websites, attending grade level, department, RTI, IEP, SST, 504, and any other meeting someone can make up. All the while making sure the one out of 129 kids they teach doesn't run out the door without having his or her book, paper, pencil,agenda, etc. Heaven forbid we put any responsibility on the student. We forget the purpose of an education is to prepare students to be productive citizens. When is the last time your boss reminded you to do your job or show up on time? We are creating a society of enabled people that can't wipe their nose without help!
parent

Lawrenceville, GA

#6 Jan 23, 2012
Education supporter wrote:
I think it's unfortunate that parents feel they must blast the schools in a forum on the Internet. Why not volunteer their time to help the schools out instead of complaining about them. Come up there and spend some time and you will see just how difficult it is for the teachers to serve the role of not only teacher but counselor, parent, guardian, monitor, coach, oh and let's not forget lesson plans, grading, updating PowerSchool, websites, attending grade level, department, RTI, IEP, SST, 504, and any other meeting someone can make up. All the while making sure the one out of 129 kids they teach doesn't run out the door without having his or her book, paper, pencil,agenda, etc. Heaven forbid we put any responsibility on the student. We forget the purpose of an education is to prepare students to be productive citizens. When is the last time your boss reminded you to do your job or show up on time? We are creating a society of enabled people that can't wipe their nose without help!
Let me try and cover some of your concerns.
1. Do you want a volunteer with thoughts and ideas or someone to do what you want.
2. My child's school has 2 counselors, so that should be covered. If they can't handle it, fire them and get someone who can.
3. You would not have to worry about my children forgetting their book, they are not allowed to take them home.
4. Lesson plans are not used. Any sub can tell you that.
5. You play the victim quite well for someone who only works 8 months out of the year.

Rockmart, GA

#7 Jan 29, 2012
@education supporter...I didnt blast the school system, i simply asked a question and no, my boss doesn't have to remind me to show up on time or do my job...but they do expect me to DO my job, and 504 plans just happen to be part of a teachers' job these days. There are children out there who require some extra help, whether it be a reminder to bring pencils and paper to class or to be allowed to rest in between classes due to a medical condition. The bottom line is that a 504 plan is backed by federal law..and if not followed can result in the school system forfeiting federal money. Your attitude is exactly what i encounter whenever i go to the school for conferences, which is why I'm reluctant to use my time off from my job as a volunteer...works both ways, you know?
I see

United States

#8 Jan 29, 2012
Smcgatha...have you ever considered maybe you're attitude toward this is the reason you get the attiude from the school? I have a student at Eastside and one at RMS, and have had nothing but positive encounters. A friend of mine said you approached her the other night at science night and that you were talking bad about the principal. If I were the principal, I would follow the 504 by law, but would make no effort to treat you with respect....Law states that they have to follow the 504, not be nice to arrogant parents who keep the pot stirred. JMO

Rockmart, GA

#10 Feb 1, 2012
@I see..obviously your friend is confused...I didn't attend science night...nor have I discussed these issues with anyone in this county except immediate family...so evidently someone else is stirring the pot.
Roman

Hogansville, GA

#11 Feb 2, 2012
Must be more than one parent fed up with idiots in the school system - nah!!
Harley

Rome, GA

#12 Feb 2, 2012
I see wrote:
A friend of mine said you approached her the other night at science night and that you were talking bad about the principal.

Does this friend work at the school?
gonebeforenow

Buford, GA

#13 Feb 2, 2012
sm- dont pay any attention to the do gooders in this county. they think they are all that if they hob nob with the educators/administrators. when actually the admin and teachers talk about them behind their backs.
just do what you have to do to get the situation fixed in the best interest of your child. ultimately that is all that matters.

Rockmart, GA

#14 Feb 2, 2012
gonebeforenow wrote:
sm- dont pay any attention to the do gooders in this county. they think they are all that if they hob nob with the educators/administrators. when actually the admin and teachers talk about them behind their backs.
just do what you have to do to get the situation fixed in the best interest of your child. ultimately that is all that matters.
Thanks...you'd think the teachers would be appreciative of a parent being involved and doing whatever is needed to make sure their child is doing well in school...you feed them breakfast, make sure they're dressed appropriately, put them in bed at a decent hour and stress the importance of being respectful. You get emails from teachers saying your child is not focusing, not paying attention and not handing in homework, but is not having behavior issues.. got two different RITs and two 504 plans, not followed by teachers..take that child to the doc, diagnosed adhd and now they want to complain about the 504 and the fact that I've called them on not following it. So, now I'm arrogant, disrespectful, and talking about the principal all according to a third party. Trust me when I say that my child will get the education he deserves...when RMS fails to make AYP for the third year, my child will go to school somewhere else at the county's expense...and I bet there will be teachers and administration that will be job hunting. So, NOW I have blasted the school system. You can hide behind your user names and make all sort of accusations and name calling you want, but I have the emails to back my story. And no one at that school can truthfully say that I've ever been disrespectful or ugly. I can say, however, that less than two hours after I left a meeting with marvin and ms. hulsey my (no behavior problems) child was in iss for two days for horseplay. First offense. No previous issues. REALLY?
I see

United States

#15 Feb 2, 2012
No...the friend I was talking about has a son in the same grade as mine. I didn't know who she was talking about until I read this post and saw some of the same things mentioned. RMS has been great for my child, but if you are unhappy, they are offering school of choice this year. We got letters about it during the summer. If you feel that strongly against the school, try moving to Cedartown middle school.

United States

#16 Feb 2, 2012
I see wrote:
No...the friend I was talking about has a son in the same grade as mine. I didn't know who she was talking about until I read this post and saw some of the same things mentioned. RMS has been great for my child, but if you are unhappy, they are offering school of choice this year. We got letters about it during the summer. If you feel that strongly against the school, try moving to Cedartown middle school.
why move him from one failing school to another..and I didn't hear your response to the fact I wasn't at science night...maybe your friend was talking about someone else and you just assumed it was me.

United States

#17 Feb 2, 2012
I see wrote:
It's also nice to know that your "friend" is discussing matters in public that have only been discussed behind closed doors until this forum popped up with one simple question...got quite a defensive response from a numbers of people who feel very comfortable blasting someone anonymously....
I see

United States

#18 Feb 2, 2012
I'm not defensive, just offering a solution. Take it or leave it, no skin off my back. It just seems to me that somebody who seems as upset as you are might want to weigh all options.
pissed off parent

Rome, GA

#19 Feb 2, 2012
I see wrote:
I'm not defensive, just offering a solution. Take it or leave it, no skin off my back. It just seems to me that somebody who seems as upset as you are might want to weigh all options.
I can tell you what options you have - report them to the state!

Rockmart, GA

#20 Feb 2, 2012
I see wrote:
I'm not upset...I asked a simple question and got responses that range from I should volunteer to I'm arrogant and disrespectful. I simply expect teachers to do their job. I have a child who has had a rough time this year due to his adhd, and I am determined that he will get what he needs...the law allows for that whether the teachers like it or not. The biggest cop out in this county is to send your child to private school or home school....why not hold our educators responsible and fix the system we already have in place..

Rockmart, GA

#21 Feb 2, 2012
I see wrote:
And I see you still have not responded to the fact that I was not at science night....so therefore it wasn't me who approached your friend

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rockmart Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Chickfila Sun Ronald McDonald 24
Indians and stores Sep 21 BlackGirl 3
engaged again, and again.... (May '16) Sep 19 Truth 75
will it ever stop (Jan '13) Sep 19 are you stupid 20
swingers Sep 19 vet 6
Jeep Liberty Sep 17 Pop Rocks 8
the Braswell Palace (Apr '11) Sep 15 THOL 26

Rockmart Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance