Teacher dress code
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Eastside parent

Columbia, MD

#1 Apr 5, 2009
No wonder teachers don't get respect. After seeing one the other day wearing jeans and what amounted to flip-flops, I can see part of the problem! I can appreciate someone wanting to be comfortable, but that's how I dress around the house. How are kids to understand the importance of an education and presenting a positive image when their supposed role models don't take it seriously?
dad

Columbia, MD

#2 Apr 5, 2009
We got them over here at Goodyear to

Since: Jan 09

Atlanta, GA

#3 Apr 5, 2009
I agree students have a dress code, why dont teachers?
Capn Greg

United States

#4 Apr 5, 2009
Ok, I need help with this one. Someone please explain to me how dressing differently will help the ability to teach?
And, while you're at it, please feel free to explain how/why baggy/saggy pants impedes learning?
cannon1170

Mission, TX

#5 Apr 5, 2009
Capn Greg wearing flip flops and blue jeans do not hinder ones ability to teach!! If anything, it probably enhances their ability to teach. Do you think 6 and 7 year olds care if a teacher has on a pair of Pradas or Old Glory (walmart)? Nope, they could care less!!! Any one who knows anything about teaching young children know that it isn't always a paper and pencil world. There are days you paint, get in the floor and teach, play games, etc to get a child to learn concepts that they may not other wise learn. People who judge a teacher by their wardrobe have absolutely no idea what teaching is all about.

As for as Eastside mom goes, are you just now noticing the fact that teachers are wearing blue jeans and flip flops at Eastside? That is pretty sad because that has been going on for at least ten years!! It is called "dress down" day for a reason.

Rockmart Cop, the children do have a dress code and one that is not often enforced by the parents. I have seen some parents send their children to school looking like street walkers instead of students. Parents need to be more concerned with what their children are wearing and not the teachers.
concerned

Rockmart, GA

#6 Apr 6, 2009
Rockmart Cop wrote:
Cop, although I have the greatest respect for your profession, you need to look again. The so called "dress code" the students have is a joke. They have jeans on with holes big enough to show TOO much body, skin tight tops with breasts hanging out, baggy pants (although not showing underwear too much anymore), etc., etc. I'm at the schools often and I'm AMAZED that they call it a dress code.
aragondad

United States

#7 Apr 6, 2009
Rockmart Cop wrote:
cop your talking about a dress code, now that's funny right there. You bunch of fat a-- slobs need a fitness code!! Now that Rockmart has a real cheif, Rockmart residents just might get some cops that can be looked up to.
Eastside parent

Columbia, MD

#8 Apr 6, 2009
concerned wrote:
<quoted text>
Cop, although I have the greatest respect for your profession, you need to look again. The so called "dress code" the students have is a joke. They have jeans on with holes big enough to show TOO much body, skin tight tops with breasts hanging out, baggy pants (although not showing underwear too much anymore), etc., etc. I'm at the schools often and I'm AMAZED that they call it a dress code.
What can teachers say when their own jeans are too tight, etc? If everyone would follow the rules and enforce them there wouldn't be a problem.
Eastside parent

Columbia, MD

#9 Apr 6, 2009
cannon1170 wrote:
Capn Greg wearing flip flops and blue jeans do not hinder ones ability to teach!! If anything, it probably enhances their ability to teach. Do you think 6 and 7 year olds care if a teacher has on a pair of Pradas or Old Glory (walmart)? Nope, they could care less!!! Any one who knows anything about teaching young children know that it isn't always a paper and pencil world. There are days you paint, get in the floor and teach, play games, etc to get a child to learn concepts that they may not other wise learn. People who judge a teacher by their wardrobe have absolutely no idea what teaching is all about.
As for as Eastside mom goes, are you just now noticing the fact that teachers are wearing blue jeans and flip flops at Eastside? That is pretty sad because that has been going on for at least ten years!! It is called "dress down" day for a reason.
Rockmart Cop, the children do have a dress code and one that is not often enforced by the parents. I have seen some parents send their children to school looking like street walkers instead of students. Parents need to be more concerned with what their children are wearing and not the teachers.
They only paint once a week and that's in art class - and this wasn't the art teacher I saw that day. Others I've seen aren't much better. I never really paid attention before. But teachers and administrators set the tone. There seems to be a bunch of cowards leading our kids these days.
Aragon mommy

Columbia, MD

#10 Apr 6, 2009
I didn't get the reason the board was thinking about uniforms. But if they can't enforce what they've got what makes them think a uniform will do any better?
Cannon1170

Cedartown, GA

#11 Apr 6, 2009
Eastside parent wrote:
<quoted text>
They only paint once a week and that's in art class - and this wasn't the art teacher I saw that day. Others I've seen aren't much better. I never really paid attention before. But teachers and administrators set the tone. There seems to be a bunch of cowards leading our kids these days.
Younger kids don't just paint in art class. Sometimes teachers use art as a way to help students learn a certain concept or theme.
Aragon mommy

Columbia, MD

#12 Apr 6, 2009
Cannon1170 wrote:
<quoted text>
Younger kids don't just paint in art class. Sometimes teachers use art as a way to help students learn a certain concept or theme.
I don't think that's so true anymore.
Justmyopinion

Rome, GA

#13 Apr 6, 2009
Once again, you people spend too much time on bashing the other. what does it matter if the teacher is in pants, shorts or a church dress, as long as the students are learning, you shouldn't care. Had you all gone into the profession yourself, your opinions may have mattered or made a difference, but since you did not leave them alone and let them do what they are paid to do. You guys act like you are all in high school again, grow up and be the parents God thought you could be.
dad

Columbia, MD

#14 Apr 6, 2009
Justmyopinion wrote:
Once again, you people spend too much time on bashing the other. what does it matter if the teacher is in pants, shorts or a church dress, as long as the students are learning, you shouldn't care. Had you all gone into the profession yourself, your opinions may have mattered or made a difference, but since you did not leave them alone and let them do what they are paid to do. You guys act like you are all in high school again, grow up and be the parents God thought you could be.
What does it matter? I want my kids to grow into successful professionals, not the tattoed punk in the drive-thru at BK.
rcw2123

Rockmart, GA

#15 Apr 6, 2009
Last Friday the teachers were allowed to dress down because it was a reward day for the last nine weeks. Kids with all a's got to play on the blow-up slides and mazes and something else (don't know what). The kids with all a's and b's did something else and all passing grades did something else. My kid told me there were many teachers that were on the slides to help with the kids and lots more of them playing with the kids in the gym and on the playground. I think its great that Eastside rewards the kids that achieve academic success and if the teachers are allowed to dress down to help do it then I say more power to them!
Eastside parent

Columbia, MD

#16 Apr 7, 2009
I wasn't at the school last Friday. This was another day. She was the only one dressed this way so I assume it was just her that day.
Eastside parent

Columbia, MD

#17 Apr 7, 2009
Besides I think flipflops shouldn't be allowed for anyone older than a student any day.
FormerResident

Philadelphia, PA

#18 Apr 7, 2009
Oh dear... didn't realize teachers wearing flip flops would result in your child working at Burger King.

I don't live in Rockmart anymore, but I read these posts to keep up with what's going on there since my parents still reside there.(and from the sound of the insults, rage, and disrespect for the silliest things on here, Im glad Im out!)

Get out of Rockmart every once in a while, enjoy the world,, then you wouldn't get so worked up about teachers wearing flip flops or who is parking where.

Wow!
Justmyopinion

Rome, GA

#19 Apr 7, 2009
dad wrote:
<quoted text>
What does it matter? I want my kids to grow into successful professionals, not the tattoed punk in the drive-thru at BK.
Your child is going to become whatever he/she wants to be regardless of what there teacher wears. I had great teachers in school and 10 years later I can't tell you what they wore, but I can tell you what they taught me. And don't for a second think that "professionals" don't have tattoo's. I don't have one, but just because someone does doesn't mean they cant be a good professional person. Professionals are people too let them be and be thankful they take the time to do what they do for our children.
whiteboy

Columbia, MD

#20 Apr 7, 2009
everywhere you go these days you see things sticking out of kids faces and they got all these tattoos. there are few places these kids will work so dont make them think otherwise. we ain't talking about the ones nobody sees. But I ain't ever seen a doctor of mine with one.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rockmart Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking for rental home 54 min Iknow 4
I need honest advice Apr 25 dog luvr 7
Jeffersons Now Arriving Apr 24 Polknotproud 5
Hey 101 & 278 Apr 22 Truth 16
Where to eat tonight? Apr 22 Rockmart native 6
Brandon Morris Apr 20 Gypsy Rose 3
Anyone know why life flight helicopter was at b... Apr 19 Know-a-little 2

Rockmart Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance