R.I.P. Rita Merritt
First Prev
of 14
Next Last
Saddened

United States

#1 Sep 19, 2011
Sad we lost this angel. Can't believe he killed her. Why? Just Why? A mother now without her babies.
Aragon Mom

Rockmart, GA

#2 Sep 19, 2011
It is very sad. This family is going to need everyone's prayers..God Bless Them All..
want to know

Gainesville, GA

#3 Sep 19, 2011
Aragon Mom wrote:
It is very sad. This family is going to need everyone's prayers..God Bless Them All..
Could you inform me what the derails are. I do not know the victim or anything about this. Thanks
Aragon Mom

Rockmart, GA

#4 Sep 19, 2011
Rita Merrit's husband shot her Saturday night.She had 3 kids a family who adored her and she was the sweetest person you would ever want to meet..
Saddened

United States

#5 Sep 19, 2011
By reading article her husband allegedly killed her. He is a solider so he probably is suffering from PTSD. However this is no excuse for murdering a mother of 3 children, a daughter, a co worker, a wife, a friend.
really

Rome, GA

#6 Sep 19, 2011
want to know wrote:
<quoted text>
Could you inform me what the derails are. I do not know the victim or anything about this. Thanks
so why do you care?

People just need to find a hobby that doesn't involve drugs and gossip but I realize that's all some of your intelligence can handle.

I don't know them either, but fyi it doesn't sound like he intended to kill his wife and I'll leave it at that out of respect to the families WHO I DO NOT EVEN KNOW.
wow 2

Cartersville, GA

#7 Sep 19, 2011
to really...how can you say that it doesn't sound like he intended to kill his wife? you say that you don't know the families. The article says he shot her in the neck...that sounds to me like he was trying to kill her. People do care & can pray for the children & families involved is why they were asking. You sound like a jerk!!
Saddened

United States

#8 Sep 19, 2011
really wrote:
<quoted text>
so why do you care?
People just need to find a hobby that doesn't involve drugs and gossip but I realize that's all some of your intelligence can handle.
I don't know them either, but fyi it doesn't sound like he intended to kill his wife and I'll leave it at that out of respect to the families WHO I DO NOT EVEN KNOW.
Funny how people get on this site saying find a hobby that does not involve GOSSIP blah blah blah blah on ToPIX site. Yet they are posting on a GOSSIP site. Really who do you think you fooling? You like to gossip or you wouldn't be on this site.
want to know

Toledo, OH

#9 Sep 19, 2011
really wrote:
<quoted text>so why do you care?

You
want to know

Toledo, OH

#10 Sep 19, 2011
really wrote:
<quoted text>so why do you care?

Your response does not even warrant a reply but I will try.
YOU ARE AN A** HOLE!
There.
Saddened

United States

#11 Sep 19, 2011
Second that!
shopper

Cedartown, GA

#12 Sep 19, 2011
really wrote:
<quoted text>
so why do you care?
To bad Walmart doesn't sell personalities, if they did maybe you could buy one!!!
soldier

United States

#13 Sep 19, 2011
i knew the victims i was in afganistan with shay i dont think he would hurt her on purpose and ptsd was a condition he knew to well so i am completely sorry for the family of rita and esp. the 3 kids but dont judge him till you have walked in his shoes. there mite be more to the story than any of us can ever know and only shay knows y so be respectful to all of the parties involved before making hasty judgement calls.
thank you
a cousin of ritas

Mooresburg, TN

#14 Sep 19, 2011
shay should of shot his self not the mother of his 3 kids he is a coward who shot his wife with his daughter in the room watching tv and first off you say walk in his shoe there other men that went to war that`s a better man then he was and you should get the full story because the facts you got was wrong they need to put him on death roll i mean what kind man would really shoot a woman that`s a coward if i ever seen one he was suppose to kill the enemy not our loved ones real men protect there loved ones not hurt them he knew what he was doing that was a bunch of bull shit saying he didn`t know and how could a real soldier do that not only in front of there kids but to the woman you love lets all pray that shay gets on death roll or that he gets beat to death in prison and i will sign off with a AMEN!!!!!!!!!!
want to know

Gainesville, GA

#15 Sep 19, 2011
When did this happen?
citizen

Cedartown, GA

#16 Sep 19, 2011
want to know wrote:
When did this happen?
According to the paper it happened Saturday night.

www.thepolkfishwrap.com/view/full_story/15578...
hummmm

Rockmart, GA

#17 Sep 19, 2011
so those of you that know shay would know that he was crazy before going over sea's!!!! the one's who defend him should be ashamed!! that man was so mean and hatefull to her everyday.. seen it my self half the time! ever heard of a show called snapped?? well that is just what happend... how can anyone possibly hold a what did they say it was a "shot gun"? to the back of their own head and pull the trigger?? hummm did not think about that did you??? not only that but he confessed to killing her yeah thats right he told them he did it! so stop defending him! R.I.P. RITA
and shay will have his judgment day! god will get the one who sent his angel to him so soon!!!
hummmm

Rockmart, GA

#18 Sep 19, 2011
Sep 19, 2011 | 1772 views | 0 | 6 ||

Shay Merritt
An incident at an Aragon home Saturday night ended with a woman dead and her husband arrested on a felony murder charge, according to officials and jail records.

The woman was Rita Merritt, 27, of 11 East 2nd St., Aragon, according to Greg Ramey, Assistant Special Agent in Charge with the Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI).

Her husband, Shay Merritt, 31, of the same address, is currently in the Polk County Jail without bond, according to jail records.

“There was a phone call around 11:40 p.m. to 911 from the male suspect saying his wife attempted to commit suicide,” Ramey said.

He said Aragon police and emergency medical personnel responded but Merritt was dead when they arrived. Officials confirm she had been shot.

“Our investigation ended up charging him after he admitted he was the one who did the shooting,” Ramey said.

Ramey said it wasn’t determined what sparked the shooting.

Merritt’s body has been sent to the Georgia Crime Laboratory, according to Polk County Coroner Trey Litesey.

Ramey said he is uncertain how long the Merritts have been married, but there was a toddler child in the home at the time of the shooting.

The Department of Family and Children Services (DFCS) took custody of the child. Ramey said, typically, DFCS would try to find a family member to take in children where either parent can’t care for the child.

Read more: The Fish Wrap - Aragon man charged in wife s death.... so think before you type soldier boy!!
Honkey 44

Rockmart, GA

#19 Sep 19, 2011
want to know wrote:
When did this happen?
Buy a program nosey!
Honkey 44

Rockmart, GA

#20 Sep 19, 2011
hummmm wrote:
Sep 19, 2011 | 1772 views | 0 | 6 ||
Shay Merritt
An incident at an Aragon home Saturday night ended with a woman dead and her husband arrested on a felony murder charge, according to officials and jail records.
The woman was Rita Merritt, 27, of 11 East 2nd St., Aragon, according to Greg Ramey, Assistant Special Agent in Charge with the Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI).
Her husband, Shay Merritt, 31, of the same address, is currently in the Polk County Jail without bond, according to jail records.
“There was a phone call around 11:40 p.m. to 911 from the male suspect saying his wife attempted to commit suicide,” Ramey said.
He said Aragon police and emergency medical personnel responded but Merritt was dead when they arrived. Officials confirm she had been shot.
“Our investigation ended up charging him after he admitted he was the one who did the shooting,” Ramey said.
Ramey said it wasn’t determined what sparked the shooting.
Merritt’s body has been sent to the Georgia Crime Laboratory, according to Polk County Coroner Trey Litesey.
Ramey said he is uncertain how long the Merritts have been married, but there was a toddler child in the home at the time of the shooting.
The Department of Family and Children Services (DFCS) took custody of the child. Ramey said, typically, DFCS would try to find a family member to take in children where either parent can’t care for the child.
Read more: The Fish Wrap - Aragon man charged in wife s death.... so think before you type soldier boy!!
You love this shit dont ya?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 14
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rockmart Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Homespun Mon no thanks 12
Poverty theft drugs Jul 23 Realist Redneck 1
Car Breaks Ins Rockmart Jul 23 MSO4 15
Swingers in Town (Aug '10) Jul 22 nada 23
Yellow Jacket (formally Average Joe's) (Jan '17) Jul 21 Festivalgoer 6
Stabbing at Homespun Festival (Jul '13) Jul 17 Chastity Paul 132
looking for old "friends" Jul 14 jmeoff 4

Rockmart Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance