Should Dan Duff step down as Rockmart...

Should Dan Duff step down as Rockmart's football coach?

Posted in the Rockmart Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Nov 12

Cedartown, GA

#1 Nov 4, 2012
I for one believe he should. Yes, Dan is a good Christian man who tries to instill those values in his players, and yes, his teams have won a lot of games. But, he seems too satisfied to just get to the first round of the playoffs and lose. No skin off his nose there.

His style of coaching just irks me. Run left, run right, run up the middle, punt... this seems to be the main game plan. Yes, he throws occasionally and his players athleticism makes some of those runs work, but vary it up more. Hide your schemes and tenancies.

And his hate of a kicking game, for that is all it seems to be, is ludicrous. Look at the soccer team filled with kids who can make great kicks yet he does not want them on his team. He always wants to go for two. And the freshman girl who kicks seems to be a publicity stunt for Duff.

Anyway, I say Enough with Duff. Thanks for participating.
parent2

Rome, GA

#2 Nov 5, 2012
Is football your only problem?

Cedartown, GA

#3 Nov 5, 2012
Parent 2, is negativity your only problem? You do nothing but complain and offer no solutions. You are the problem. If you are just going to complain, quit replying to me.
ROCKY

Lithonia, GA

#4 Nov 5, 2012
must Go, we need a coach one who is a fireballer, get tough with the kids to get their best out of them
parent2

Rockmart, GA

#5 Nov 5, 2012
TopDawg62 wrote:
Parent 2, is negativity your only problem? You do nothing but complain and offer no solutions. You are the problem. If you are just going to complain, quit replying to me.
You're bitching about football and wanting a man to quit his job? Sound like you're the whiner!
parent2

Rockmart, GA

#6 Nov 5, 2012
To answer your question, NO

Cedartown, GA

#7 Nov 5, 2012
Parent2, you are truly clueless.

Cedartown, GA

#8 Nov 5, 2012
Besides, I just want him to step down as in retire. He has the time in.

Since: Nov 11

Rockmart, GA

#9 Nov 5, 2012
Not sure if economics, enrollment and location will allow Rockmart to get their football program much further than it is now. First of all a community must have a love for a football tradition and that will draw the better coaching. Calhoun, Cook County, Crisp county are good examples of small programs with huge community backing. I haven't seen that kind of passion in Rockmart. Duff is playing with the cards he is dealt and so will the next guy.

Cedartown, GA

#10 Nov 6, 2012
DBuck20, good sensible comments. I appreciate them. I agree we need more community support. But I have to wonder what a coach like Lamb could do here. There is talent out the wazoo... I feel that the right coach could make the difference. And, what kind of teams could we have if we combined high schools... yes I know that is blasphemy in this county, but just imagine... lol
ninja in the house

Douglasville, GA

#11 Nov 6, 2012
TopDawg62 wrote:
DBuck20, good sensible comments. I appreciate them. I agree we need more community support. But I have to wonder what a coach like Lamb could do here. There is talent out the wazoo... I feel that the right coach could make the difference. And, what kind of teams could we have if we combined high schools... yes I know that is blasphemy in this county, but just imagine... lol
The same was said of East Rome and West Rome...
JacketAlumn

Cedartown, GA

#12 Nov 6, 2012
DBuck20 wrote:
Not sure if economics, enrollment and location will allow Rockmart to get their football program much further than it is now. First of all a community must have a love for a football tradition and that will draw the better coaching. Calhoun, Cook County, Crisp county are good examples of small programs with huge community backing. I haven't seen that kind of passion in Rockmart. Duff is playing with the cards he is dealt and so will the next guy.
First off, on the first comment where Coach Duff hates a kicking game, I always wondered about this. I have always thought that they just didnt have anyone who could kick. To be a winning team in football, you HAVE to have a great field goal kicker. How many games have you ever saw that came down to a field goal at the end of the game for the win? In Rockmarts case they just pray for a Hail Mary.
About community spirit, I totally agree. Rockmart used to have such spirit. A good team attracts the community, and it takes a good coach to attract the good players to make that team. Does anyone remember Coach Cordell? The people standing in the streets at the old high school to get a glimpse of the friday night football games, the signs and banners up all over town saying Go Jackets, local store owners with face paintings and decorations up, etc... Alot of this spirit was focused around Coach Cordell, because he could take a good team with good players and make them great. Alot of the threat that Rockmart posed was centered around their kicking game. The Jackets had one of the best in the state in Kevin Oatman. I watched the boy make a 63 yard field goal one game.
The point being, I dont think Duff is the man for the job. I have saw alot of talented kids in the past not play football just because they didnt want to play for him and his coaching scheme. Say the average game has 3 touchdowns and 2 field goals. With a good kicking game, this is pretty much a guaranteed 27 points correct? With Duff's strategy, this is only a guaranteed 18 points hoping for a 2 point conversion every score, with no field goals. Essentially robbing his boys of 9 points.
Bring in a good coach and you will bring in the good players. Bring in the good players and you will have a great team. Bring in the great team and you will bring back the community spirit and support that goes with it!
Do you think Calhoun, Crisp, and Cook would have that community backing with losing programs? The old Rockmart used to be the Calhoun of now, and the Calhoun of then used to be the Rockmart of now. Make sense? It just takes a coach that can not only make the best use of the talent he has now, but attract new talent in kids that would have not normally played.
Go Jackets!!

Rockmart, GA

#13 Nov 6, 2012
JacketAlumn wrote:
<quoted text>
First off, on the first comment where Coach Duff hates a kicking game, I always wondered about this. I have always thought that they just didnt have anyone who could kick. To be a winning team in football, you HAVE to have a great field goal kicker. How many games have you ever saw that came down to a field goal at the end of the game for the win? In Rockmarts case they just pray for a Hail Mary.
About community spirit, I totally agree. Rockmart used to have such spirit. A good team attracts the community, and it takes a good coach to attract the good players to make that team. Does anyone remember Coach Cordell? The people standing in the streets at the old high school to get a glimpse of the friday night football games, the signs and banners up all over town saying Go Jackets, local store owners with face paintings and decorations up, etc... Alot of this spirit was focused around Coach Cordell, because he could take a good team with good players and make them great. Alot of the threat that Rockmart posed was centered around their kicking game. The Jackets had one of the best in the state in Kevin Oatman. I watched the boy make a 63 yard field goal one game.
The point being, I dont think Duff is the man for the job. I have saw alot of talented kids in the past not play football just because they didnt want to play for him and his coaching scheme. Say the average game has 3 touchdowns and 2 field goals. With a good kicking game, this is pretty much a guaranteed 27 points correct? With Duff's strategy, this is only a guaranteed 18 points hoping for a 2 point conversion every score, with no field goals. Essentially robbing his boys of 9 points.
Bring in a good coach and you will bring in the good players. Bring in the good players and you will have a great team. Bring in the great team and you will bring back the community spirit and support that goes with it!
Do you think Calhoun, Crisp, and Cook would have that community backing with losing programs? The old Rockmart used to be the Calhoun of now, and the Calhoun of then used to be the Rockmart of now. Make sense? It just takes a coach that can not only make the best use of the talent he has now, but attract new talent in kids that would have not normally played.
Go Jackets!!
Hey im all for your comments and you reinterated what I was saying. If coach comes first to draw the attention of the community then im not sure of the answer. This county doesnt even want to fund music and the community seems to be more concerned with dress code rules and worrying about the man thats trying to put a better look on those store fronts you mentioned. Ole lady luck needs to help us out a bit i suppose and deaw a coach who just takes to the area. Appreciate your thoughts and must say we both would love to see a better product but realize there will have to be more interest from outside too.

Rockmart, GA

#14 Nov 6, 2012
TopDawg62 wrote:
First time ive even thought about the schools being combined, I guess because of the great wall of hate between eastside and westside I see in this county. Im old school from the times before fists were replaced with guns and knives so its a totally different feeling even in the stands at Rockmart than my days in the 60s. Grand daughter plays in band and after halftime i leave. I love football but hate the feeling i get at Rockmart games so leave after supporting her. I can't even explain it but just something dont feel right. Definately agree with all that changes are needed any many areas here.
JacketAlumn

Cedartown, GA

#15 Nov 8, 2012
They were talking about combining schools back when I was a freshman in High School, but it got shot down really quick. They were going to build a new high school in between Rockmart and Cedartown and it was going to be Fish Creek. Can you imagine the talent of the team if these 2 schools combined?
JacketAlumn

Cedartown, GA

#16 Nov 8, 2012
They look like a team that has been split apart anyway. The positions where Rockmart is lacking, Cedartown thrives on, and vice versa
FAN

Munster, IN

#17 Nov 8, 2012
Rockmart needs to get back to the days of pharo's army.GO JACKETS!!!!

Cool Hand Clem

“One day at a time”

Since: Oct 12

----<>-----<>----<>-----<>---

#18 Nov 8, 2012
FAN wrote:
Rockmart needs to get back to the days of pharo's army.GO JACKETS!!!!
Absolutly!
Oldschool

Jacksonville, FL

#19 Nov 10, 2012
He needs to go.............

Rockmart, GA

#20 Nov 12, 2012
Oldschool wrote:
He needs to go..........
He probably would agree and would be better for him too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rockmart Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Freddy carroll Sun I know 7
What REALLY happened to Lynch? (Dec '14) Dec 3 Sbrock 11
Average Joe's Sports Bar (Jan '15) Nov 29 SayWhat 125
Bethany Lynn Yarbrough Nov 28 Kristen 12
News 'Most wanted' man captured in Douglasville Nov 26 Concerned 13
Sure thing Nov 25 seenthem 1
engaged again, and again.... (May '16) Nov 25 Payback bitch 73

Rockmart Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance