Layed Off Home Depot employee ends up...

Layed Off Home Depot employee ends up homeless, many just one paycheck away from same situation

There are 41 comments on the www.sacbee.com story from Feb 14, 2009, titled Layed Off Home Depot employee ends up homeless, many just one paycheck away from same situation. In it, www.sacbee.com reports that:

How am I supposed to live like this?" she asked. Van Slate's downward spiral began in November, when she lost her job at Home Depot. She was living in a Citrus Heights duplex, but couldn't make the $850 rent when her 65-year-old roommate died of cancer in December. Collecting just $105 in unemployment every two weeks, she said she was forced to live in her car after being evicted earlier this month. Van Slate had just stopped in to pick up her check – which wasn't available yet – on Friday afternoon when a Sacramento police officer stopped her on 16th Street at Thornton Avenue. Her registration was expired, and she had no proof of insurance. So the officer had her car towed. Desperate, Van Slate said she begged him to reconsider. "I was on my knees," she said. Her registration had been expired for at least six months, which is the threshold for an officer to legally tow a car, said Sgt. Norm Leong, Sacramento Police Department spokesman.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.sacbee.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Dan

San Jose, CA

#49 May 17, 2013
While some citizens are living in their cars, The US goverment is handing bags of cash to a corrupt government in Afganistan on a daily basis...Some or our leaders don't seem to see any thing is wrong with that...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rocklin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Former Vallejo police officer arrested for dome... 8 hr FF in RC 13
A Bay Area police officer has been arrested on ... Jan 11 Law breaker 1
James Minor Jan 6 jamesminorscum 1
raising a family in granite bay (Jan '08) Jan 5 Rich Donnell 14
News Man identified after police say he was electroc... (Feb '11) Jan 5 Lea Flowers 5
Sinner and Kelsey where are u I'm bringing help Jan 4 Diablo 1
placer County courts & the corruption continues (Apr '16) Dec '16 TRUTHBEARER 5

Rocklin Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rocklin Mortgages