Mike Balma Heritage Festival Sacramento

Mike Balma Heritage Festival Sacramento

Posted in the Rocklin Forum

Lou Gearing

Citrus Heights, CA

#1 Jun 4, 2006
It is unfortunate that Mr. Balma is a very inconsiderate rude person who screams and yells at festival customers just because there is a difference of opinion. More than that as the organizer of such a public event he should have the common decency to listen to and hear the concerns of his patrons thereby reaching a consenious of understanding, rather labeling them trouble makers and refusing them entry into the venue. It is very difficult to discuss a point of difference when you are being screamed at. Thank you for reading
khris la rocco

AOL

#2 Feb 13, 2007
Lou Gearing wrote:
It is unfortunate that Mr. Balma is a very inconsiderate rude person who screams and yells at festival customers just because there is a difference of opinion. More than that as the organizer of such a public event he should have the common decency to listen to and hear the concerns of his patrons thereby reaching a consenious of understanding, rather labeling them trouble makers and refusing them entry into the venue. It is very difficult to discuss a point of difference when you are being screamed at. Thank you for reading
I hear ya, I had the same exerience some years ago, after 3yrs. of volunter work with him perparing for the vestival, He too treated me horribly,yelling at me in front of other volunters, without even hearing my side of the issue.
It truly blew my mind!!! FOR HIM TO THINK he was the only person to make the festival happen, Ha Ha
Question

Sacramento, CA

#3 Apr 9, 2007
Lou Gearing wrote:
Why were you refused entry? Are you the person who brought a dog to event when "No Pets Allowed" was the policy?
Carrisa

Sacramento, CA

#4 Jan 2, 2008
i worked with Mike for many years as the raffel girl. he is a great guy. but i agree with you guys he has a temper and is hard to reason with. i don't feel that i should have to explain more then that.
Wally FAMILY DOG

United States

#5 Apr 21, 2009
The concert on April 19 2009 was a real bummer the only person playing REAL BLUES was Mr. Gains and they placed him first on the line up. Second mistake was having Castro on the stage with his rocker music. Although his band was good it was Castro and his matewrial that was awful. I don't really know what Brother Burks was playing but it really wasn't any blues I ever heard. I wish the Heratage would keep the BLUES going instead that wishie washie stuff they are now calling blues.
Castro was spending part of his show trying to sell his cd's. Real blues players would love to be able to play concerts and real blues fans woul not mind paying more to hear them! ie: Taj, Keb, Buddy, even Chris Cain. Hoping Joe Louis Walker has REAL blues players playing with him on the line up. By the way Mike the Harp blowout was really GREAT! Let's not lose That Feeling!!
I'm a member of the Family Dog and we know what music was in the 60's and were still around today!
Giving feedback, and some of us are still playing music. Santana, Boz, Steve Miller, and me. Peace and Love to you all!
Steve Michaels

Santa Ana, CA

#6 Oct 30, 2009
Mike Balma is really, really rude. Beware if you're a performer about to be dealing with him and good luck if you're a volunteer for one of his shows. The only one who is worse is Ronnie Stewart. Good lord.
Deb Lubin Belmont CA

San Jose, CA

#7 Oct 30, 2009
Interesting that the two "rudest" people mentioned (Mike and Ronnie) are also two people who,IMO,put on the best blues shows in the area. I'm driving to Sacramento Sunday (almost a 2-hour drive each way and more if the Bay Bridge is still closed)for Big Mike's show--Hubert Sumlin, James Cotton, Ronnie Baker Brooks, and Carl Weathersby--all for a mere $20. I see NOTHING to complain about in that lineup. Yes,both of those guys can be difficult,but I appreciate what they offer blues fans in this area and I think THAT outweighs the difficulties. Your mileage may vary...
Oaktown

Vallejo, CA

#8 Nov 1, 2009
Steve Michaels wrote:
Mike Balma is really, really rude. Beware if you're a performer about to be dealing with him and good luck if you're a volunteer for one of his shows. The only one who is worse is Ronnie Stewart. Good lord.
Clarify what you mean by that? What do you know about Ronnie Stewart?
Johnny too bad

Los Angeles, CA

#9 Jan 28, 2010
is he worse then Bill Graham? unfortunately, when you are running the circus, it's probably hard to be eveything to everybody, especially when dealing with musicians. If you've every dealt with them you know. my guess is that if you met with him after it was all said and done, he would work it out with you. he's done alot for Blues on the west coast. Sorry him showed you his other side.
stella

United States

#10 Oct 6, 2011
I've known Big Mike for over 25 years and as such have experienced his "rudeness" but I also know that his being a type A is how things get done. His hard work and generosity, as well as his loyal and long time friends who can laugh and say "He may be an ass**** but he's our ass****" is what makes the festivals and shows work. For many years Mike took the losses out of pocket. His own pocket. He has no idea he offended you. Don't take it personally. It's just a bark and no bite.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rocklin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Juvenile girl found dead in Rocklin,a Read Stor... Jul 20 Karen in Rio Vista 1
Review: iLoveKickboxing - Roseville, CA Jul 6 MotoChick9 21
Nick's Smorgy Jul 5 Curious in Arkansas 1
fast and reliable pain n anxiety meds (Jan '15) Jul 4 No strings 3
News Fewer students eat school lunches as menus get ... May '16 Jaimie 16
News Sacramento College Students Turning To Sugar Da... May '16 Roger Chesney 2
Review: Duane Lyons Group (Mar '11) May '16 Unpaid 4

Rocklin Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rocklin Mortgages