Autopsy: Child drank rubbing alcohol, nail polish remover

Full story: WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan

The death of a 2-year-old boy at a daycare has been ruled accidental by the Kent County medical examiner's office.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of409
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Sabrina

Amelia Court House, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Mar 19, 2008
 
So it was the fault of the daycare provider. Per state regulations, those types of dangerous chemicals should have been secured away from the reach of small curious children. Safety violations were also among the reasons that the state suspended her license.

Prayers are with the family.
Mother Goose

Holland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Mar 19, 2008
 
If I were this family, I would sue this daycare provider. Friend or not, this is totally uncalled for!
seems strange

Haslett, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Mar 19, 2008
 
No,there is something really wrong with this picture.
He drank rubbing alcohol and washed it down with nail polish remover ?
I'm sorry but how did no one know about this ?
This child had to be gagging and i'm sure crying.
What did he do when he was done? Put the caps back on AND put the stuff back in the cupboard ?
AngelEyes

Spring Lake, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Mar 19, 2008
 
So very sad.... a terrible tragedy for the family and those who knew this little boy!
So Sad

Detroit, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Mar 19, 2008
 
This is sooo sad! Prayers go out to the family! Who in their right mind keeps those items at the reach of a 2 year old!
Teri

Grand Haven, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Mar 19, 2008
 
Please put chemicals up and out of reach of little hands!
Karen Linton

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Mar 19, 2008
 
This article is so much of what is happening to our "babies" Yes babies- Keenan was a two year old baby and obviously, he was not being properly attended to.
How utterly devestating it must have been to send their child to ovenight daycare- clean and healthy only to learn the next that he had died.
It is time right now to start making these adults totally and crimimally responsive.
I say "JUSTICE FOR KEENAN.'
Karen - Michigan
Karen Linton

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Mar 19, 2008
 
I also would check the truthfulness in the statement that he drsnk rubbing alcohol and nail polish remover- how in heavens name did a 2 yr. old open such containers?
Something is fishy in Demark !!!!!
Karen
Becky

Rochester, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Mar 19, 2008
 
This really does not give that much information about what happened..why did they not catch this when she took the boy into the doctors?..how long had she had the boy before he became ill? how does anyone know where these chemicals were.if all the facts are not there only bits an pieces people should not be so judgemental.
Jamie

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Mar 19, 2008
 
Sabrina,

The violations you reference could be so simple but made out to be much bigger. We are so quick to pull the media blurbs out of the story. I think we all know, that the media will blow things up to make a story more sexy. I am not saying things were not done that probably shouldn't have but lets not take the media reports as gospel.

The parents are going through enough.
NO WAY

Milford, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Mar 19, 2008
 
This does not sound right at all. My 2 year old would not drink this one after the other! She might get a little sip, but she would be spitting it out as fast as she could! This is fishy!
good grief people

Detroit, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Mar 19, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

1

everyone is so quick to attack the day care provider! HELLO people wake up, daycare is one of the toughest jobs out there, cut the lady some slack for heavens sake. this is totally not her fault, it is a horrible accident. criminally responsible? absolutely not! i'm sure she feels just awful that this happened, and she will have to face this everyday of her life, i can't even imagine how hard that will be. maybe if parents wouldn't be so quick to dump their kids off at day care to go to work, on vacation, blah blah blah these things wouldn't happen. dr. laura says it best "don't have them if you're not going to take care of them." my heart goes out to the family during this terrible time, but maybe they'll think twice about dumping off their baby to go play in mexico...
rval-GrandRapids MI

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Mar 19, 2008
 
seems strange wrote:
No,there is something really wrong with this picture.
He drank rubbing alcohol and washed it down with nail polish remover ?
I'm sorry but how did no one know about this ?
This child had to be gagging and i'm sure crying.
What did he do when he was done? Put the caps back on AND put the stuff back in the cupboard ?
If anyone has bothered to research, THANKS WOODTV-8 FOR LEAVING OUT THAT ACETONE IS ALSO FOUND IN CERTAIN GLUE/RUBBER CEMENT PRODUCTS AND IT TAKES A VERY MINIMAL AMOUNT TO BE FATAL IN A CHILD
rval-GrandRapids MI

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Mar 19, 2008
 
And I implore, ANY PARENT who has NEVER been unintentionally careless to step forward
Amazed

Detroit, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Mar 19, 2008
 
I feel for the childcare provider, also- to a point...but the responsibility for his well being was hers and she failed to follow through. A two year old needs constant supervision. Everyone taking care of children ( their own or someone elses) needs to learn a lesson here.

I am afraid there is no punishment that will ease the pain for either of the families.
GR Teacher

Sterling Heights, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Mar 19, 2008
 
Karen Linton wrote:
I also would check the truthfulness in the statement that he drsnk rubbing alcohol and nail polish remover- how in heavens name did a 2 yr. old open such containers?
Something is fishy in Demark !!!!!
Karen
I have a 21 month old that would be able to open them. He can open pretty much everything else with a screw on lid. That is why nearly everything in our house that isn't his or nailed down is locked up. Not just out of reach, because my kid is a climber too.
rval-GrandRapids MI

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Mar 19, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Fingernail polish remover
Some cleaning solutions
Some glues, including rubber cement
Some lacquers
Note: This list may not be all inclusive.
Symptoms
Cardiovascular system
Low blood pressure
Gastrointestinal system
Nausea
Pain in belly area (abdomen)
Person may have a fruity odor
Sweet taste in mouth
Vomiting
Nervous system
Acting as if drunk
Coma
Drowsiness
Stupor
Respiratory system
Difficulty breathing
Slowed breathing rate
Shortness of breath
Urinary system
Increased need to urinate
Home Care
Seek immediate medical help. DO NOT make a person throw up unless told to do so by Poison Control or a health care professional.
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
The patient's age, weight, and condition
The name of the product (ingredients and strengths if known)
The time it was swallowed
The amount swallowed
Poison Control
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Take the container with you to the hospital, if possible.
See: Poison control center - emergency number
What to Expect at the Emergency Room
The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate. The patient may receive:
Activated charcoal if the patient arrives immediately after swallowing the poison
Tube thru the nose into the stomach to empty the stomach (gastric lavage)
Oxygen, if needed
Outlook (Prognosis)
Accidentally drinking small amounts of acetone/nail polish remover is unlikely to harm you as an adult. However even small amounts can be dangerous to your child, so it is important to keep this and all household chemicals in a safe place.
If the person survives past 48 hours, the chances for recovery are good.
rval-GrandRapids MI

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Mar 19, 2008
 
NO WAY wrote:
This does not sound right at all. My 2 year old would not drink this one after the other! She might get a little sip, but she would be spitting it out as fast as she could! This is fishy!
Exactly! THANKS WOOD TV-8 FOR LEAVING OUT THE FACTS [ONCE AGAIN] THAT ACETONE IS ALSO FOUND IN THINGS OTHER THAN ALCOHOL AND FINGER NAIL POLISH REMOVER
Sabrina

Amelia Court House, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Mar 19, 2008
 
Jamie wrote:
Sabrina,
The violations you reference could be so simple but made out to be much bigger. We are so quick to pull the media blurbs out of the story. I think we all know, that the media will blow things up to make a story more sexy. I am not saying things were not done that probably shouldn't have but lets not take the media reports as gospel.
The parents are going through enough.
The media in this case has not built this story up to be more than it is. If that were the case, we would be getting more details than what we currently have.

However, what we do have are these facts: The parents left the children in the care of the daycare provider to go on vacation, the boy died while in the care of the daycare provider, the daycare was shutdown due to several rules violations including safety, and the boy died due to ingestion of isopropyl and/or acetone.

Based on those facts, I have enough to make a fairly reasonable judgment.
good grief people wrote:
everyone is so quick to attack the day care provider! HELLO people wake up, daycare is one of the toughest jobs out there, cut the lady some slack for heavens sake. this is totally not her fault, it is a horrible accident. criminally responsible? absolutely not! i'm sure she feels just awful that this happened, and she will have to face this everyday of her life, i can't even imagine how hard that will be. maybe if parents wouldn't be so quick to dump their kids off at day care to go to work, on vacation, blah blah blah these things wouldn't happen. dr. laura says it best "don't have them if you're not going to take care of them." my heart goes out to the family during this terrible time, but maybe they'll think twice about dumping off their baby to go play in mexico...
I can't decide whether to agree or disagree with you. Ultimately the parents should not have taken off on some far away frolic and abandoned their young children at a daycare for a week, I agree.

However, the daycare provider was running a business which has rules and regulations, and I will most certainly not cut her any slack. The remorse that she may or may not feel does not excuse her from her culpability in this matter.
rval-GrandRapids MI

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Mar 19, 2008
 
Sabrina wrote:
<quoted text>
The media in this case has not built this story up to be more than it is. If that were the case, we would be getting more details than what we currently have.
However, what we do have are these facts: The parents left the children in the care of the daycare provider to go on vacation, the boy died while in the care of the daycare provider, the daycare was shutdown due to several rules violations including safety, and the boy died due to ingestion of isopropyl and/or acetone.
Based on those facts, I have enough to make a fairly reasonable judgment.
<quoted text>
I can't decide whether to agree or disagree with you. Ultimately the parents should not have taken off on some far away frolic and abandoned their young children at a daycare for a week, I agree.
However, the daycare provider was running a business which has rules and regulations, and I will most certainly not cut her any slack. The remorse that she may or may not feel does not excuse her from her culpability in this matter.
I'll tell you what, what parents do with their children is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS, UNLESS of course abuse is taking place; that being said, read post that includes products [not all] that contain acetone

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of409
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Rockford Discussions

Search the Rockford Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
MI Who do you support for Secretary of State in Mi... (Oct '10) Jul 7 maeball 169
MI 2010 Michigan Primary Election: Did you vote? (Aug '10) Jun 30 TruthBeTold 5,481
MI Michigan Felon Politician Ban Amendment, Propos... (Oct '10) Jun 25 lulubell 302
yep Jun '14 what the really 1
Review: A Mystery Ink (Aug '08) Jun '14 Madison 51
MI Who do you support for Attorney General in Mich... (Oct '10) May '14 Ned Tugent 114
MI Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in M... (Oct '10) May '14 Mike 94
•••
•••
•••
Rockford Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Rockford Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Rockford People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Rockford News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Rockford
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••