First Prev
of 7
Next Last
jane from Rockford

Rockford, IL

#125 Sep 11, 2012
Marie wrote:
Really? He was framed? <quoted text>

Marie don't believe anything that person says. He was not framed!!
pumpkin

United States

#126 Sep 30, 2012
I live 5 blocks from that house.
Brenda Leake

Roseville, CA

#127 Oct 9, 2013
we were coming home from Texas early January 1978 and as we approached Rockford my dad turned on the car radio and we heard about Simon Peter Nelson and the murders. Next day at school all the kids were talking about it, some of them making sick jokes but kids don't always realize the gravity of someone else's misery. I didn't know until just a few years ago that the kids are laid to rest in Calvary Cemetary which is just 2 miles from where I lived in Winnebago. If I knew that when I was a kid, I'd have been down there placing flowers on all their markers. In 2004 one of Jenny's friends had taken the bull by the horns and decided to petition to keep him locked up. I actually talked to her on the phone and told her I remembered it happening. from what she told me it sounds like Mr. Nelson did nothing but sit on his ass and his wife and kids did all the work. My heart goes out to their mother and all the children's friends who didn't get to watch them grow up.
sabrina

Hillsboro, WI

#129 Oct 26, 2013
hey im wondering about a house that is on the out skirts of Pecatonica. Its a old farm house my family lived there years ago and they had a barn fire when they lived there. I think its a forest preserve now. I was wondering if it was still there. My mom has told me stories of the house that she had seen a lady and a man in the house and that weird things always happened while they lived there to windows opening by them selves to coffee cups and other items moving on there own. She said the guy who she rented from told her that a man and a women that was pregnant lived there and some guys robbed a bank and they took refuge there and they killed the husband then took the women to the basement and raped her then hung her int he basement. wonding if anyone new anything about this?
OldSk8r

Rockford, IL

#130 Oct 30, 2013
JWS1 wrote:
Ann was an extremely private person and it took a long time to get to know her and become close friends. She was stalked (long before there were stalking laws) by Chris Bowman (now deceased) unmercifully. Because she was being watched & followed everywhere she went she lost her job at the skating rink.
When she went to the Social Security office for death benefits to help her pay for the funereal expenses, the person who waited on her said, "Oh, YOU'RE the mother whose children were murdered!" Ann was so upset and embarassed she turned and left without completing the task she intended. People were so quick to publicly judge and lynch her because they didn't see her publicly grieving. It seems that people wanted to see her break down in public. But that just wasn't Ann's way.
That's when I learned we all grieve differently and it's not to any one of us to judge how another person grieves. Grief is very often expressed ONLY behind closed doors and that's an individual's right to do it that way.
Ann was left with absolutely no financial resources and I don't have a clue how she got along in the early months following the murders. After she left Rockford she always worked no matter where she lived. I'm sorry to she she chose to pretty much sever ties with people she knew in Rockford and that hurt me very much. I was very fond of Ann as a person and missed her friendship. I think she wasn't comfortable with too many people knowing too much of her intimate life.
She was a really sweet person. She was my skating coach for a few years, and would call me when I was babysitting to be sure I was OK. I only knew Jennifer from the rink, enough to say hi to- but she seemed very sweet as well. I remember hearing people ask how she could have left the kids with him- she wouldn't have done anything if she knew he were going to hurt them. He went bonkers, and did the unthinkable. I was 14 when it happened. It still haunts me. I wonder about Ann, and how she's been over the years. I can't imagine living with that amount of grief, and how the people who didn't know her judged her.:(
OldSk8r

Rockford, IL

#131 Oct 30, 2013
Shawn Good wrote:
<quoted text>
yea i actually know exactly where this house is located its for sale and has been for sale for a pretty long time and one of my best friends mom was actually was good friends with the oldest girl and the reason why the guy went crazy was cause his wife was cheating on him but thats just some stuff i know o yea the house is located on camp ave. in rockford il. 61103
He went nuts when she told him she was filing for divorce. She had gone to Milwaukee to get away for a few days (weekend) and after he killed the kids, he drove to the hotel in Milwaukee to tell her he'd killed all 6 kids, and to get a priest over to the house. She was able to get someone to call the Rockford police, who went to the house and found the kids and dog, all dead.
OldSk8r

Rockford, IL

#132 Oct 30, 2013
Firebug01 wrote:
I think that she wanted nothing to do with her children and thats why she left them with him anyways. Why would any mother leave her children with someone who she knows is abusive and a drinker and think that everything is going to be ok when she knew she was going to leave him? She knew he was mentally unstable and she left those kids there to die so that she could go have a fling with some other guy and start her life over. Rascula saying she hasnt stood up for her kids.....well duh, she got what she wanted, a way out of her situation. The consequences suck, the kids died before they even had a chance to live, and for her to just disappear and never stand up shows that there is more to this than meets the eye. IMO she is just as guilty for their deaths as SPN.
Did you know Ann? She was one of the most caring people I've ever known. Rumors about her parenting were rampant after the murders. She didn't leave them to die- how unbelievably cruel and ignorant. She was incredibly kind, and warm. Yeah- she wanted a divorce... so that's a crime? There's no way she would have left them if she thought he would harm them. Grow some compassion; she lost her kids... HER kids. do you have any idea how much she hurt afterwards? She was hounded by the hateful people like you and had to leave town. She coached after the murders until it became too hard with the (typical) jerks in Rockford.
OldSk8r

Rockford, IL

#133 Oct 30, 2013
OO7-A wrote:
i lived in rockford, about a mile from camp ave. at the time. i don't think simon peter nelson had anything to do with the murders.
dan doyle was the local DA then. he was, and is, a corrupt, slick, lying lawyer. the case was getting national news coverage and he was getting local political heat to "close" the case as soon as possible,(rockford, at the time, had a reputation of being an upscale small city). so he framed the father.
camp ave is part of the wealthist neighborhoods in rockford. simon peter nelson was a management recruiter, a well paying white collar job. people in that income bracket don't go crazy and kill their whole family, they have too much to lose.
Wealthiest neighborhoods in Rockford? Ha !! It's a nice, older neighborhood of homes from the 20s-40s. Income bracket doesn't predict the ability to 'lose it'... and he'd been unemployed prior to the murders. His story at the trial was that his dead father told him to kill the kids. Sound sane? There was no pressure to close the case- SPN drove to Milwaukee and told Ann what he'd done. He was taken into custody before the bodies were removed from the house.

Take your meds.
pel

Rockford, IL

#134 Nov 18, 2013
I actually live in the Smardos old house, right next door to the Nelson home. I was shocked to hear about this... I was 8 years old when it happened and very sheltered from such things. I had no knowledge of the murders until we moved in next door.the house stands empty now and has been so since we moved in here. Don't know if the house is haunted or not, but sometimes hear strange noises fron there. Could be the wind could be squirrels. I do know that a man ( the supposed owner of the Nelson home) came as ee were moving next door and moved a refridgerator out. And a bag of clothes? That was in September... he hasn't been back since and there is children's yard toys in the yard and seems that all the furniture is pretty much still in there..from our house we can see a headboard/ bed some chairs and other furniture.a couple came to " clean" the house so it could be sold in october... the man stood outside the whole time and the woman was inside. They were there a good 6 hours. The man said that someone was interested in buying the house. Well the couple left and never returned. The house was never " cleaned" its still trashed inside and out. Again not sure if its haunted but the feeling there is very heavy and oppressive. And the house is stiil empty and noone has been there to remove anything...take from this what you will..hopefully someone will buy the house and turn it into a HOME filled with love to change the residual there...
OO7-A

Netherlands

#135 Nov 24, 2013
watch the tv show "the americans" and you should be able to understand who was behind those murders
jdj

Rockford, IL

#136 Apr 6, 2014
t welch wrote:
Do you know the address on Camp that the murders took place? We just moved into the area, three houses from Camp and am interested in knowing.
<quoted text>
The house number is 1425 Camp Ave.
jdj

Rockford, IL

#137 Apr 6, 2014
JWS1 wrote:
Ann was an extremely private person and it took a long time to get to know her and become close friends. She was stalked (long before there were stalking laws) by Chris Bowman (now deceased) unmercifully. Because she was being watched & followed everywhere she went she lost her job at the skating rink.
When she went to the Social Security office for death benefits to help her pay for the funereal expenses, the person who waited on her said, "Oh, YOU'RE the mother whose children were murdered!" Ann was so upset and embarassed she turned and left without completing the task she intended. People were so quick to publicly judge and lynch her because they didn't see her publicly grieving. It seems that people wanted to see her break down in public. But that just wasn't Ann's way.
That's when I learned we all grieve differently and it's not to any one of us to judge how another person grieves. Grief is very often expressed ONLY behind closed doors and that's an individual's right to do it that way.
Ann was left with absolutely no financial resources and I don't have a clue how she got along in the early months following the murders. After she left Rockford she always worked no matter where she lived. I'm sorry to she she chose to pretty much sever ties with people she knew in Rockford and that hurt me very much. I was very fond of Ann as a person and missed her friendship. I think she wasn't comfortable with too many people knowing too much of her intimate life.
Ann came back to the rink briefly after the murders, and before the trial. She was really beaten up in the media after the murders. I knew her to be a very kind, compassionate woman, who had a great way with teaching figure skating. I grieved the loss of her for years, and still keep a photo of her and myself on my dresser. I was only 14 at the time- and it has been one of the most impactful things in my life (maybe more than when I was raped 9 years later). The Didier case (as someone mentioned) really changed how safe kids felt in Rockford, and made it very clear that some parents lose it. If anybody ever does hear from her, I hope you could pass along how many people have fond memories of her and have sent prayers and well wishes for decades. She endured such overwhelming pain.
jdj

Rockford, IL

#138 Apr 6, 2014
Rascula wrote:
I understand that we all grieve differently but I kinda get where Curious01 is coming from. How can someone who lost all six of her children not stand up for them at his parole hearings either in person or by even writing a letter to the parole board?
http://www.rrstar.com/news/nelsonchildrencase...
She could even request to stay anonymous with the board but has never even done that(and yes I do realize that the article posted is older but it still covered a period of 23 years). It is such a sad affair in every way shape and form and that this even happened is psychologically traumatizing even to those who were not involved or around then. My heart goes out to all of those involved and especially those lost and I do believe that Nelson should forever be incarcerated for what he did.
As someone who has to send parole protests for being raped (guy shot in my bedroom, lived, got 60 year sentence in Texas), you don't have to be present to protest. I send volumes of written material every time I'm notified that numbnuts (most civilized thing I can call him) is up for parole again.... Actually being there isn't that common... and if the media got wind that she was going to be there after how she was treated after the murders? I don't blame her a bit.
jdj

Rockford, IL

#139 Apr 6, 2014
Nina wrote:
Wow. I can't beleive you knew Jennifer. I'm a 13 year old girl. Very interested in these topics. When I heard this, it gave me chills..
<quoted text>
Aw, you'd be about 18 now (from the dates on the post I'm replying to). This was a really horrific murder, and it had a huge (negative) impact on so many people. Please, don't get focused on things like this when there are so many more positive things to research. <3 It changed the lives of anybody who knew the family- and many who were 'just' around here at the time.
jdj

Rockford, IL

#140 Apr 6, 2014
Craig Peterson wrote:
Geesh, so many people and so much MIS-Information.
He did not receive 200 years for each count (child), he received 200 years....PERIOD.
In addition, he was caught in Milwaukee after catching up to his estranged wife and beating her...he told the Milwaukee police what he did and they notified the Rockford authorities who then found the bodies.
And stop with the "I wanna stop his next parole.. by writing a book..." Simon Peter Nelson will die an old man in prison....PERIOD. He will never get out and the only reason someone would want to write a book on the subject is simply an attempt to make money on the trajedy.....
Take a breath, there Craig ! What I remember (as a 14 year old) was 100-200 for each child. I stand by that (I still have the newspaper articles, and will be attacking that part of my garage soon)... if 36 years has distorted that, I hope you can find it in your little heart to forgive me (why it's such a big deal to YOU, you haven't stated). There was no intent to misrepresent anything. Just the memories that came to be from something that is still incomprehensible (unless you're 007-A, and think Jimmy Hoffa might be involved ;)).

While I'm not writing a book, I can see how writing about it could be therapeutic - it was a horrific incident, and especially when so many of those who knew the kids or Ann were young and very impressionable by this less-than-stellar example of how parents can end up killing their kids. The loss of so many kids at one time, so close is difficult. And, losing Ann as such an amazing role model was very hard. SO, how about saving judgement since you've got it all figured out in your life, eh? Let the rest of us discuss it - and if there need to be corrections, maybe not come across as someone who has a loose fuse. Sometimes people write to just be heard, when no amount of thinking about it makes it make any more sense.... people cope in different ways. Some by blowing a gasket :/
jdj

Rockford, IL

#141 Apr 6, 2014
Firebug01 wrote:
I think that she wanted nothing to do with her children and thats why she left them with him anyways. Why would any mother leave her children with someone who she knows is abusive and a drinker and think that everything is going to be ok when she knew she was going to leave him? She knew he was mentally unstable and she left those kids there to die so that she could go have a fling with some other guy and start her life over. Rascula saying she hasnt stood up for her kids.....well duh, she got what she wanted, a way out of her situation. The consequences suck, the kids died before they even had a chance to live, and for her to just disappear and never stand up shows that there is more to this than meets the eye. IMO she is just as guilty for their deaths as SPN.
So not fair. I knew Ann. She wouldn't leave her kids if she thought they were in any danger. SO cruel to even make an off-handed remark like that. Glad I don't know you.
jdj

Rockford, IL

#142 Apr 6, 2014
http://genealogytrails.com/ill/winnebago/Simo...

-100-200 years for each child, to run concurrently.
-More details about the trial and other information.
-Some negative things about how the kids were sent to school (not clean, dirty clothing, etc- while Ann was earning most of the income at the rink). There was NOTHING about Ann wanting to be rid of the kids.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rockford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 2 min Jesus was a Jew 49,860
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 1 hr Corrupt Democrats 1,929
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 8 hr Correct 4,032
IL Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in I... (Oct '10) 11 hr kankakee en 155
Beth Wagner-Dickerson Sep 17 Curious 1
How do I get out of Rockford Illinois? (Nov '13) Sep 17 jim 10
Catholic Charities refuses to place children wi... (Jun '11) Sep 16 nOgOd 816
•••
•••

Rockford Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Rockford People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••