Neighbors of Richard Wanke React

Neighbors of Richard Wanke React

There are 10 comments on the WQRF-TV Rockford story from Feb 11, 2008, titled Neighbors of Richard Wanke React. In it, WQRF-TV Rockford reports that:

“Never knew who they were. They never came out.”

People who live in Rockford's Signal Hill neighborhood, fear that a killer could've been living just down the street. via WQRF-TV Rockford

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WQRF-TV Rockford.

Wanke neighbor

Rockford, IL

#1 Feb 19, 2008
Richard was friendly whenever I had opportunity to chat with him; he seemed open---- a regular guy----in his forties and a ponytail----but that's allowable in America.
truth seeker

Rockford, IL

#2 Apr 7, 2008
Richard Wanke has been a regular volunteer in his community. He was the arts coordinator for Ethnic Heritage Museum, donated computers to The Mill School for Juvenile Offenders, YouthBuild Inc. and to local Rockford Schools. Mr. Wanke was involved substantially in the first plans for the Waterfront Festival, managed the Peace Store, a free trade store, co-founded the first ArtWalk and the Friday Night Writer's Group. Mr. Wanke helped build Market Street Gallery and promoted the Block Five Festival, writing, along with Diane Chavez, the Program and Schedule. He edited the Newsletter for Rockford Jazz Society.
freerichardwanke

United States

#3 Jul 8, 2008
please read more at our blog
http://richardwanke.com/
yourrights1984

Dekalb, IL

#4 Jul 14, 2008
AMerica's is about the bill of rights. And Mr. Wanke isn't getting his. Over four months in jail, and he still has not been charged. Pay attention voters!!!
blueskies

Warsaw, IN

#5 Aug 10, 2008
Oh brother! You folks are in the dark here. Well meaning but... not totally informed. If you google Richard Wanke, you'll see several cases in which he protested about his defense lawyer. One involved a burglary to Sandy Hollow Golf Course where the person who captured him saw him run from the building at 2am and Richard never left his sight until he was apprehended.
I've known numerous places and people he's stolen from and not just small things either. In these cases, he's gained the confidence of people and then robbed them blind when he saw the chance. If you want to feel sorry for victims, feel sorry for those who lost some faith in their fellow human beings as a result. It sure made me feel compassion for them!!
Some those people did not press charges as some sort of courtesy to their former friendship with Richard and perhaps because they were so hurt they didn't know how to handle it. I know of one such incident. Who will speak for this victim?
Mr Wanke has been afforded rights all over the place and then some. Defend someone who needs it and isn't using you!!!!
blueskies

Warsaw, IN

#6 Aug 10, 2008
PS--Check with the former owner of the Market St Gallery as to his history there and what he stole from her if you think that activity is a credit to his name....
below

United States

#7 Aug 26, 2008
I met Richard in high school and he was one of my closest friends through my undergraduate days in the 80's before I moved from Rockford. He was the best man at my wedding. He stole from people who knew him well including me. I thought I knew Richard as well as anyone but I would have never foreseen that he would betray my friendship and trust. I am conflicted when I hear that he is a "person of interest" in a murder investigation. I want to believe that he could never be capable of such a thing but I am severely in doubt. After what he did to me and other of his friends, I can't discount anything.
sherri

Rockford, IL

#8 Feb 6, 2010
below wrote:
I met Richard in high school and he was one of my closest friends through my undergraduate days in the 80's before I moved from Rockford. He was the best man at my wedding. He stole from people who knew him well including me. I thought I knew Richard as well as anyone but I would have never foreseen that he would betray my friendship and trust. I am conflicted when I hear that he is a "person of interest" in a murder investigation. I want to believe that he could never be capable of such a thing but I am severely in doubt. After what he did to me and other of his friends, I can't discount anything.
Right, Below. I know you and I know how much Richard did for you in everything and how much he helped you. You knew him well. Lets see, you must have then known he is a true insommiac and that he suffered a lot of losses in his life. If you used your education correctly, you and the rest of his early friends could probably look back and determine parts of his behavior which indicated that he had some mental issues which affected what he did, but not who he was and is. If you cannot tell that the person who helped you out to such an extent as he did was not a good person; then you are pathetic, and were never his true friend but just out for using and getting from him what you could; because you never understood his need for a normal life.
sherri

Rockford, IL

#9 Feb 6, 2010
blueskies wrote:
PS--Check with the former owner of the Market St Gallery as to his history there and what he stole from her if you think that activity is a credit to his name....
Blueskies, yeah, some people lost a little stuff and got it all back eventually. Ask the owner of 317 market st what the place would have looked like and consisted of if she had not met Richard and he had not helped her with all the ideas for the place as well as getting stuff for it (like the skylights) at deep discounts as well as all the hard physical work and long hours he put into building the place. Did she pay him for any of it? I don't think so. She takes full credit for it all now but it was nothing without his input and promotion.
Jojo

Kópháza, Hungary

#10 Mar 30, 2011
For those not in the know, Richard Wanke was known as the "packrat burglar." When they caught him he had a whole garage or shed full of computer equipment, etc. that he had stolen from NIU and other places.
His bathing habits are atrocious and he's a true scumbag, as anyone who has truly known him will attest to. I also know people he has stolen from. A true manipulator.
I would not want anyone to be wrongly accused, but I can totally fathom that he would kill Greg Clark. I hope he can be brought to justice, definitively.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rockford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
cheaters (Jul '12) Jun 17 Stephanieowhore 11
River Grove Library (Feb '11) Jun 17 Catt33 62
News Catholic Charities refuses to place children wi... (Jun '11) Jun 16 nOgOd 1,763
Scumbag pig Nathan Milne Jun 12 Bacon Grease 1
HSV2 In the resturant May '16 Worried 1
News Residents across Illinois organize for railroad... May '16 Wrong 2
News Murder charges filed in case of missing Bartlet... (Aug '15) May '16 Dent Boss 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rockford Mortgages