Bishop Doran to Resign

Full story: WIFR
Catholic Diocese of Rockford Bishop Tomas Doran will be resigning. It is customary for Bishops to resign on their 75th birthday; Doran's is on Sunday. Full Story
Obi Won

Rochelle, IL

#1 Mar 30, 2011
Bishop Doran is a very intelligent man and has served the Church well. At this time the Rockford Diocese needs a pastoral and evangelical bishop, one who is personable and cares for his priests. As a whole the Church needs to move beyond altar rails and cassocks.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Pax et Bonum

Mansfield, OH

#2 Mar 31, 2011
Obi Won wrote:
Bishop Doran is a very intelligent man and has served the Church well. At this time the Rockford Diocese needs a pastoral and evangelical bishop, one who is personable and cares for his priests. As a whole the Church needs to move beyond altar rails and cassocks.
Yet, we have in the Church those who want to see more altar rails, cassocks as if having these things in place will make the Church better and more holy.
Obi Won

Rochelle, IL

#3 Mar 31, 2011
While I can appreciate the sense of reverence the cassocks, altar rails, bells, and the like bring, It would seem that the Church might consider returning to the mission teaching and preaching the gospel. I miss the days when we decried poverty and nuclear weapons.

No doubt sanctity in worship is important, but shouldn't it lead to conversion of heart and healing in our communities? I don't know if the exterior trappings, while nice, really bring that about. Our youth in particular want a religion that means something in the world. I think justice and peace are good places to start.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Pax et Bonum

Mansfield, OH

#4 Apr 1, 2011
It seems to me as the Catholic Church took the lead on certain issues that because of the realities of the times became political as well as moral she became more and more Republican in ideology. That being the case "poverty and nuclear weapons" and "justice and peace" had to fall to the wayside. The realities of the teachings have not gone away though and await rediscovery.
nOgOd

Rockford, IL

#5 Apr 14, 2011
Good riddance to the old #%*&. He helped hide child molesters from society.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rockford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Too Many Gambling Machines? (Mar '14) 20 hr bennymutt 2
Szeszol named River Grove Library trustee (Mar '10) 22 hr Deep Throat 842
Catholic Charities refuses to place children wi... (Jun '11) Thu kent 967
Simon Peter Nelson - 1978 Murders - Up for Paro... (May '08) Wed Brent 81
Hannah Montana Email!!!!!!! (Nov '07) Tue zah123 1,204
Ray Bernero Oct 21 concered 5
Coyote in Dalhquist Park Oct 19 DtotheT 1
Rockford Dating
Find my Match

Rockford Jobs