Firm to compete with Comporium for business services

Full story: The Herald

Colorado company to offer Internet, phone for commercial clients By Matt Garfield The Herald - Updated 02/01/07 - 11:24 PM One of York County's most prominent companies is about to get a new competitor.
Comments
1 - 20 of 23 Comments Last updated Feb 23, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
cburris

Hendersonville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Feb 6, 2007
 
it about time someone else offer services to the rock hill area.bring it on,maybe we will get better pricing.
Ken

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jul 10, 2007
 
Thats exactly why I got direcTV and AT&T and not comporium. They have a monopoly on the entire Rock Hill/Fort Mill area.
Christine

Rock Hill, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jul 24, 2007
 
Why is it so difficult to get another DSL provider? Everyone but Comporium seems to offer great deals - Comporium is able to charge whatever they want because there is absolutely NO COMPETITION here. How can that be? Rock Hill is not some small town- there is enough of a population to make it worthwhile for at least one another provider to come here!
Billy

Rock Hill, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Sep 26, 2007
 

Judged:

4

1

1

The fact that you have direTV and AT&T only negates the statement that Comporium is a Monopoly. It's so odd to see some people complain about Comporium having a "monopoly", but never hear anyone throw this claim at their Power company, water company, gas company, etc. Which could truly be considered monopolies. How many times have you seen DirecTV, Dish Network, Altell, Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Time Warner,(I could go on) donate their time, services and money to hundreds of non profit orginizations and schools in the Rock Hill, Fort Mill, and Lancaster Communities. Take a look around, this company does more good for the community than most (if not ALL) other local companies, and by far more than any outside company. Before you bash this company, ask yourself, how many of my neighbors, friends, family members and fellow church members are employees of this company.(Over 1,000). Then ask them how good the company is and of some of their wonderful contributions to the community. I assure you that one would have to look hard to find a more caring and giving company.
Joan Fort Mill

Rock Hill, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Sep 29, 2007
 

Judged:

2

1

1

As a fairly new resident of Fort Mill...at first I was a little surprised there was only one company that supplied it all! Local and long distance, cable TV high speed internet access, DSl as well as cable, home secutiry, AND cell phone service. Wow!
After living in south Florida for over 30 years, and having delt with Bell South, and Adelphia cable, I was again surprised with this monopoly company, here in Fort Mill,,,, Comporium! Wow!!
I was able to set up and receive service, in all areas, within three days! One man came to the house to install everything! And he knew what he was doing. We have yet to be without cable TV OR internet access, in the past 1 1/2 years. On the ocassion I have had to call Comporium, I have gotten through very quickly, to talk to the person who could help me, and they were ABLE to help me! Wow!!
Price wise, we're not paying any more than we were in Florida. But SERVICE wise, where you could be on "hold" for DAYS, before getting through to Adelphia...there IS no comparison. Wow!!
To those of you comong from other parts of the country, and have had bad experiences with companies who supply the services that Comporium does, you will surely be as happy and surprised as I am. And to those of you who are used to the excellent service you have enjoyed all along from Comporium, but wish for more competition among these service providers, I say... be careful what you wish for...
KBT

Rock Hill, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Nov 11, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

Is it possible to just get internet in Rock Hill through a provider other than Comporium? They cap their data usage, which I find completely out of line and intrusive. The only way that my boyfriend can work is remotely online, so he uses more than the allotted 50 GB a month. We need a provider that isn't so obnoxious. Do you HAVE to get Comporium if you live in Rock Hill?
Aggie CEO

Thomasville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Dec 12, 2008
 
KBT wrote:
Is it possible to just get internet in Rock Hill through a provider other than Comporium? They cap their data usage, which I find completely out of line and intrusive. The only way that my boyfriend can work is remotely online, so he uses more than the allotted 50 GB a month. We need a provider that isn't so obnoxious. Do you HAVE to get Comporium if you live in Rock Hill?
last I checked yes.......my Inlaws stay in Rock hill and constantly complain that they cant get AT&T because of Comporium.......its sad and a bunch of bull.........
Nick

Rock Hill, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Dec 15, 2008
 
Comporium offers good service, but never offers anything that loweres prices or improves service. We definately need compeitiion in this area. Ans ot the the oter comment - I would welcome compition for all utlity services, but current laws wont allow it. Anything that lowers the price for the consumer is good.
Julie

Rock Hill, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Dec 27, 2008
 
Christine wrote:
Why is it so difficult to get another DSL provider? Everyone but Comporium seems to offer great deals - Comporium is able to charge whatever they want because there is absolutely NO COMPETITION here. How can that be? Rock Hill is not some small town- there is enough of a population to make it worthwhile for at least one another provider to come here!
Comporium get great deals the same as the home builders. The home builders can be sure that the York County home inspectors never really inspect the home they build. Most buyers in York County buy substandard homes because of it.

The commissioners are to blame for Comporium and Home Inspections being shoddy in my opinion.
TGB

Concord, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jan 20, 2009
 

Judged:

1

Maybe they will have more success forcing Comporium to support the federally mandated Local Number Prtability allowing consumer to take their phone numbers to a new provider. Something Comporium says they can't do.
Joe

Rock Hill, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jan 20, 2009
 

Judged:

1

I don't understand why the commissioners or others allows a monopoly like Comporium to increase their costs.

I would like the opportunity to switch to Time Warner of other provider. Several in our subdivision have switched to Direct TV. It seems to me that Comporium is to fat. And the subscribers pay for it.

The installation they did on my home is very sloppy. That seems to be their motto now. Charge a lot and be sloppy.
Robert Waggoner

Brevard, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Mar 25, 2009
 
Billy wrote:
The fact that you have direTV and AT&T only negates the statement that Comporium is a Monopoly. It's so odd to see some people complain about Comporium having a "monopoly", but never hear anyone throw this claim at their Power company, water company, gas company, etc. Which could truly be considered monopolies. How many times have you seen DirecTV, Dish Network, Altell, Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Time Warner,(I could go on) donate their time, services and money to hundreds of non profit orginizations and schools in the Rock Hill, Fort Mill, and Lancaster Communities. Take a look around, this company does more good for the community than most (if not ALL) other local companies, and by far more than any outside company. Before you bash this company, ask yourself, how many of my neighbors, friends, family members and fellow church members are employees of this company.(Over 1,000). Then ask them how good the company is and of some of their wonderful contributions to the community. I assure you that one would have to look hard to find a more caring and giving company.
I agree with Christine and have all to many friends and acquaintance's to say the same as Christine. I have been told so many about the same bad experience's I have had to take off this out fit and others too many others have said the same.This company have told stories that are unbelievable. It's as they train the employees well some of them to lie or miss represent Comporium. I do not have to hide behind GOD to get to the truth and neither should Christine and all the others Billy. I have about 4 people in service in Rock Hill I trust to come to my home and office to service. Simply because they are straight up and honest.
Robert Waggoner

Brevard, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Mar 25, 2009
 
It's all about the money and around here there is always some one in Government who has there hand out waiting for the pay. That's how York County works and some other areas as well in SC. It is how Comporium stays as is. Before the owners took these companies over and merged them together there used to be a lot of good deals and I always was satisfied for the money and service always. Fort Mill Telephone, Rock Hill Telephone, Lancaster telephone company were the best why they ever sold I will never know. Just remember all Comporium company is, is just a company who offers digital service. Why stay with them if you can save by switching to Verizon,All tel, who ever. I did and I am saving because I don't have the local lobbyist handing there money to our local Gov to keep Monopolies like this a going.
Remember who it is that you vote for when you see this type activity going on.
Maverick

Rock Hill, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Apr 28, 2009
 
Wow! You are amazingly misinformed and misguided. The same owners of Rock Hill Telephone, Lancaster Telephone and Fort Mill Telephone (and Heath Springs Telephone) exist today under the name of Comporium. It was just a name change. Comporium is NOT a monopoly and you have choices for all of the services they provide. They know it and have priced their services competitively (check out Time Warner Cable or AT&T). I had Time Warner and Sprint before moving here and you couldn't get a live customer service person in a week to even respond. Paying government officials???? Get real...better yet...get your facts straight.
TBA FORT MILL

Fort Mill, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jan 16, 2010
 
Maverick wrote:
Wow! You are amazingly misinformed and misguided. The same owners of Rock Hill Telephone, Lancaster Telephone and Fort Mill Telephone (and Heath Springs Telephone) exist today under the name of Comporium. It was just a name change. Comporium is NOT a monopoly and you have choices for all of the services they provide. They know it and have priced their services competitively (check out Time Warner Cable or AT&T). I had Time Warner and Sprint before moving here and you couldn't get a live customer service person in a week to even respond. Paying government officials???? Get real...better yet...get your facts straight.
Facts Straight up.... We are unable to get any other service provider other than wireless phone service, no other cable provider except satellite service and even less for internet... And yet WE live in a state that wants and needs jobs but still allows " 1 " company in our small part of the state.. Competition is what we need as consumers...
Cliff

Rock Hill, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jan 26, 2010
 
I hear this all the time about Comporium's monopoly and it's very true. The field guys have always been very courteous and honest with us, so I have no complaints there. With package "3" fiber, I'm supposed to get 15/15 (I understand the "within rang" or what is acceptable).

I had a lot of spiking and I tested my speed on their site. I was getting only 12.5/12.5 consistently. When I complained, they told me I was within their range at that speed. That's the kind of garbage (just a hair over package "2")excuse that gives this company a bad name. The only thing that will solve this is competition.
Stric9

Fort Mill, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jan 31, 2010
 
About the price...
Call Comporium and explain that the price is too high and you're going somewhere else (Direct TV, Verizon, etc). BE DEAD SERIOUS WHEN YOU SAY IT. They will cut a deal because it's better than losing your account all together. They just did it for me....
catawba

Rock Hill, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Feb 5, 2010
 
Billy wrote:
The fact that you have direTV and AT&T only negates the statement that Comporium is a Monopoly. It's so odd to see some people complain about Comporium having a "monopoly", but never hear anyone throw this claim at their Power company, water company, gas company, etc. Which could truly be considered monopolies. How many times have you seen DirecTV, Dish Network, Altell, Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Time Warner,(I could go on) donate their time, services and money to hundreds of non profit orginizations and schools in the Rock Hill, Fort Mill, and Lancaster Communities. Take a look around, this company does more good for the community than most (if not ALL) other local companies, and by far more than any outside company. Before you bash this company, ask yourself, how many of my neighbors, friends, family members and fellow church members are employees of this company.(Over 1,000). Then ask them how good the company is and of some of their wonderful contributions to the community. I assure you that one would have to look hard to find a more caring and giving company.
Reminds me of a trash company where i used to live - they bribed the local officials to get the bid and then socked it to the home owners. Used the same argument as yours - civic oriented, etc.- they gave to the local schools and library. Our argument - we would rather give monies to our own causes and let the company just do their business. Companies like Corporium want recognition and they do not get their claim to fame by just offering reasonable prices.
Paul

Lancaster, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Feb 22, 2010
 
In my opinion, Comporium has done nothing to improve internet bandwidth. In fact, I think my bandwidth has decreased since I started the service in 2006. I do believe a lack of competition in internet providers has caused this. Who else provides internet service in Fort Mill? Please post if you have suggestions
DirectTv-Sprintc ustomer

Fort Mill, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Mar 3, 2010
 

Judged:

1

and some other internet provider if I could.
Sounds like Billy and Mav there may have a working relationship with comporium(I know I didnt capitalize, would indicate respect). There are several people I know that work for them, but they are not as "loyal" as these two, they know its a scam that gets passed as grandfathered in; also the fact comporium owns the poles and other conduits needed for service(which they said they would gladly rent out at a "reasonable rate")makes it a little more difficult, less cost effective for competitors to move in. Good ol' southern politics, its like its still the fifties around here on some things.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Rock Hill Discussions

Search the Rock Hill Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
SC SC state senator refers to candidate as 'raghead' (Jun '10) Tue Lawrence Wolf 1,126
tega cay police department (Apr '09) Jul 17 Realist 22
Review: The Moving Man (Mar '13) Jul 12 Joe 3
Fort Mill kids contact Santa the old fashioned way Jul 7 Jeffrey 1
Review: Airport Auto Jun 23 bubba 1
Construction on Riverwalk homes to begin in fall (Aug '11) Jun '14 Best 3
Moving to Rock Hill, SC in about a month (Sep '06) Jun '14 Tanya 88
•••
•••
•••
•••

Rock Hill Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Rock Hill People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Rock Hill News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Rock Hill
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••