School's Tractor-Driving Tradition Rolls On

There are 2 comments on the Kdka.com story from Jun 8, 2006, titled School's Tractor-Driving Tradition Rolls On. In it, Kdka.com reports that:

Graduating students at a Beaver County high school kept tradition rolling this morning with a slight hitch.Freedom Area High School students from farming areas have been driving tractors on the last day of ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Kdka.com.

Brock

United States

#1 Jun 11, 2006
First of all, this is NOT a tradition at Freedom Area High School. If it is a "tradition", it started maybe 3-4 years ago. I graduated at Freedom HS in 1994, my brother graduated in 2000. No one ever drove a tractor the last day of class while we were in school.

Secondly, since this was a select group of indiviuals who started this, it was not known to the rest of the township when this would occur. This left many motorists stuck behind a group of tractors traveling at 20 mph. Last year my brother was one of many motorists waiting behind these tractors. The kids wouldn't pull aside to let the cars go around. My brother fell victim to this as he was late to work and missed a days wages.

Not to mention the waiving and celebrating of the confederate flag - disgusting.

The chief of New Sewickley should have stood his ground and not allowed this so-called "tradition" to continue. Last year Freedom High School made news because of someone placing a deer carcus on the flagpole. Is this another tradition that the students and some ignorant citizens of New Sewickley will fight for?

An unneeded safety hazard and headache? Yes. A Tradition? Please.
Ali

United States

#2 Jun 9, 2011
I might be a few years late but, just because there may be a lapse in a tradition doesn't mean it is not a tradition. My eldest brother grauduated in '98 and they did it then so maybe your memory is a bit botched.
Also, my father who graduated in '77 also experienced this TRADITION. If you kept up on the news you would have known that it was going to happen and your brother could have arranged a separate route or planned to leave earlier for his job. Part of being an adult is always being prepared. Don't blame your misfortune on children, after all they are being just that, kids.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rochester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Former chief judge Belvin Perry to join Morgan ... Apr '15 _Learsi 2
News Forum: Converting tugs, towboats to LNG may tak... (Oct '14) Oct '14 DaDog1 1
Rico Sanchez (May '10) Aug '14 Manga Figa 12
Review: Big Beaver Kennels (Jun '14) Jul '14 Heh heh 2
Debate: Gay Marriage - Beaver, PA (Aug '10) May '14 Goat Cheese 6
News OK to sell widow's home over $6 bill, judge rules (Apr '14) Apr '14 Sister Mary 1
News Is Royal Dutch Shell Preparing to Build a Crack... (Apr '14) Apr '14 Old Cynic 1
More from around the web

Rochester People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]