Rochester Rocs: Best Fish Fry

There are 20 comments on the WHEC-TV Rochester story from Apr 1, 2014, titled Rochester Rocs: Best Fish Fry. In it, WHEC-TV Rochester reports that:

Which place has the best fish fry in Rochester? We counted your nominations and here are the top 5 restaurants for Rochester Rocs -- Best Fish Fry.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHEC-TV Rochester.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“ I DO WHAT I LIKE............ .”

Since: Mar 14

AND I LIKE WHAT I DO!!!!!!!!!!

#1 Apr 1, 2014
Captain Jim's!! Hands down... Though there are a lot of good FF's around town
Sam

New York, NY

#2 Apr 1, 2014
Captain Jim's? Are you for real? If you want the best fish fry, you won't get a better fish fry than one from Davies Seafood in Greece. It's been there for over 60 years and they've been making it the same way ever since. Once you try it nothing else compares. If you go on Friday's after 4 expect to wait at least 30 minutes. It's the best fish dinner not only in Rochester, but in the surrounding counties.
Tommy Rules

Rochester, NY

#3 Apr 1, 2014
Davies on Stone rd in Greece no place is even close !
The man

Rochester, NY

#4 Apr 1, 2014
The fish is good at Cap't Jims, but the service is a bit lax.
Avoid advance ordering (your order will never be ready on time)and just walk in.
A hole in the wall joint that hasn't figured out the current technologies.
The women just bump into each other.
No clue how to run a business.
Could be great operation if they get with the program.
The bad service keeps me away.

#5 Apr 1, 2014
I've had Davies and it isn't any better than Captain Jims. Capt. Jims got nice big piece of fish and a great batter that is crispy and sticks to the fish perfect. They are as good as it gets. But yeah Davies is very good too. Just have to go to >cring< Greece, and Capt. Jims has a much better batter. Sorry TMHO.
The service is pretty good there to even on Fri. during lent when they are busy as hell your in and out fairly quickly. Never ever had to wait more than ten to 15 min.... The person is right though calling in is pointless, it is more efficient to just go and order( Which I actually like that fact). First come first serve..They move the line very quickly. They are with the program and the way they run the place is part of what I like about it. No waiting to order because 10 different people are picking up phone orders. It runs smoother and quicker... It's old school no-nonsense. Now look at a place like Salvatore's that place has modern computerized everything and the waits are always terrible no matter how busy or slow they are.
Plus the best of the best fish fry around is made by me when the perch and walleye are bitting.

#6 Apr 1, 2014
Oh I'm not sure exactly how long they been there but Capt. Jims is pretty damn old as well if that is really important as to the quality.
Sam

Rochester, NY

#7 Apr 2, 2014
Again, Jim's may be better than Wegmans or Topps but Davies is the place to go if you want a real fish fry. Try it once and you will not go any where else.
Frozen fish Yuck

Spring Lake, NC

#8 Apr 2, 2014
Make it at home / yummy
you never get it

Rochester, NY

#9 Apr 2, 2014
Bill Grey's on Buffalo Rd. always have a great fish fry. We have never had a bad one from them.

#10 Apr 2, 2014
Sam wrote:
Again, Jim's may be better than Wegmans or Topps but Davies is the place to go if you want a real fish fry. Try it once and you will not go any where else.
Hey we all got our preferences.. Davies is good but I think the other place is just as good. Plus Davies is to far and I hate going to Greece as much as I hate going to Henrietta. As long as the fish is firm and the batter crispy and not to thick or flour tasting I'm pretty happy. Both paces deliver that.
We are kinda spoiled here with fish fry. Some of our less than great ones are pretty damn good compared to to some of the so-called best I've had in other areas.
Gino

Rochester, NY

#11 Apr 2, 2014
Davies has by far the best fish dinner anywhere. I live in Hilton and I drive by there on the way home every Friday. I always stop there before 5 and pick up two fish dinners with the seafood and fries. I think this week I will try one of those combos that I saw advertised in the paper a couple of weeks ago, you know, for a change. It doesn't matter though what I pick up it's always great, and the service is greater. Once they get to my number I get my fish dinner within 3 minutes. Try getting that kind of service anywhere else!

#12 Apr 2, 2014
Gino wrote:
Davies has by far the best fish dinner anywhere. I live in Hilton and I drive by there on the way home every Friday. I always stop there before 5 and pick up two fish dinners with the seafood and fries. I think this week I will try one of those combos that I saw advertised in the paper a couple of weeks ago, you know, for a change. It doesn't matter though what I pick up it's always great, and the service is greater. Once they get to my number I get my fish dinner within 3 minutes. Try getting that kind of service anywhere else!
You get that exact kind of service at the place I'm talking about.
I Get It

Rochester, NY

#13 Apr 2, 2014
you never get it wrote:
Bill Grey's on Buffalo Rd. always have a great fish fry. We have never had a bad one from them.
I am all over the area alot. I have always gotten a great fish fry no matter the Bill Greys's location. Never have I ever left BG"s unsatisfied no matter what I order.
On my list bucket list, pushing sixty I have never had a garbage plate and when I do it will be BG's.

#14 Apr 2, 2014
I Get It wrote:
<quoted text>
I am all over the area alot. I have always gotten a great fish fry no matter the Bill Greys's location. Never have I ever left BG"s unsatisfied no matter what I order.
On my list bucket list, pushing sixty I have never had a garbage plate and when I do it will be BG's.
I like Bill Greys don't get me wrong, but there plate isn't the best. Way to pricey and the Hot Sauce is to much like gravy.
I Get It

Rochester, NY

#15 Apr 2, 2014
FTW Forever wrote:
<quoted text>I like Bill Greys don't get me wrong, but there plate isn't the best. Way to pricey and the Hot Sauce is to much like gravy.
Any recomedations? I am not driving into the city and would really like my first one to be a good one. Hows Nicks place in Gates on Chili ave?
I Get It

Rochester, NY

#16 Apr 2, 2014
Woops, Ltell ave near Wegmans. Does Wegmans have a garbage plate? Everything Wegmans does is good.

#17 Apr 2, 2014
I Get It wrote:
<quoted text>
Any recomedations? I am not driving into the city and would really like my first one to be a good one. Hows Nicks place in Gates on Chili ave?
You mean Stevie T's that used to be Nicks #2 on Lyell?? Haven't been in a few years but they used to be great. I like Eastridge Family and Irondequoit Hots but that seems it ay be far from ya. Thing about a good plate is often times the homefries and mac salad aren't that great on their own but it is the mess and the hotsauce all together that makes them good. No I never heard of Wegmans doing a plate..
Greasy spoon dives usually have the best ones. Oh and Salvatore's actually has a decent plate but it is small compared to other places. Honestly at your age of never having one, you might not be all that impressed. I think the love of them comes from late night drunken feastings in our broke azz 20's. If you haven't developed a taste for them they probably aren't that great.
Kimberly is a pig

Rochester, NY

#18 Apr 3, 2014
C and C deli on Lyell right across the street from Wegmans has a goof FF
Beer Batter Combo

Rochester, NY

#19 Apr 3, 2014
I think Kithnos Seafood Mkt on N.Clinton (between 104 and E.Ridge Rd.) is awesome. Super huge amount of fish given. Great service, the lines are long during a Lenten Friday, but they go in a very smooth and quick pace.
Love their Crab sticks and the Bisque.

I've had Davies, they are good too, I actually like their cole slaw better than Kithnos, its sweeter.
But I once had their scallops dinner and I just couldnt finish it after about 4 pieces, not sure what was in the sauce, it was just goo.

In the old days, The Garage Door had the biggest piece of Haddock I ever had on a consistent basis, it hung off the plate at both ends.
Gino

Rochester, NY

#20 Apr 3, 2014
I Get It wrote:
<quoted text>
I heard they always get frozen fish and thaw it out. Same with Charbroil

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rochester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gary Craig, Staff writer at D&C writting falseh... 7 hr BlackCuckold 23
Security Prep Underway for Lilac Festival 8 hr Maude 2
NYPD officer shot in head recovering 8 hr Joint Chiefs 13
Break room ratings 8 hr Tommy Rules 308
State police won't release dashcam video of off... 13 hr EthiopianJew 22
News City clergy: Rochester could be next Baltimore 13 hr B Clinton 9
Musical Artist Refuse to Play in Racist Country... 13 hr EthiopianJew 2
More from around the web

Rochester People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE