Eric Smith gets 4th try for parole next week

Jun 4, 2008 Full story: Star-Gazette 275

CORNING -- Convicted murderer Eric M. Smith, formerly of Savona, will get his fourth opportunity for parole next week.

Read more
Kathy B Wisconsin

United States

#62 Jan 4, 2009
You have no place in society Eric. Spend the rest of your life in prison because that is the price you pay for killing. You killed a cat and then a child. You really deserve a death penalty but for some reason people think criminals should be given a second chance. If you really wish you could trade places with Derrick, then show us how sincere you are! Tell the parole board you don't deserve to be out. Or, save us taxpayers the expense of keeping you in prison and take your own life. Who really cares if you are studying a foreign language or could contribute to society. You shouldn't have a right to draw another breath.
Linda

New York, NY

#63 Jan 4, 2009
I just watched 48 hours; how very sad.
My condolences to Derrick and his family.
May you find some peace in your memories and happiness in your life. You did nothing wrong... Eric has no excuse for his killing and must live with his guilt.
To blame abuse, bullying or whatever.. is a lie.
There are many of us who have survived horrible abuses at the hands of those who say they loved us. Many of us survive our abusers and live productive lives, often in the service for others.
There are many of us who have been abused horribly and have learned to face it, live with it, and help prevent others from suffering the same abuse. My abusers never served criminal charges, but I do know they had to live with what he did to 7 daughters.
Life is what you make of it and the strength you have and use to live it. Eric I am afraid you must live forever with what you did and all those people you affected will have to live with the mark you left in their life, hopefully with some peace.
Paige

Flat Rock, MI

#64 Jan 4, 2009
Just because he was bullied, had orange hair, freckles, was an outcast...whatever! THAT IS NO EXUSE FOR MURDER!! There is absolutely no excuse for what he did to that poor innocent little 4 year old boy! People need to realize that he deserves the same punishment as anyone else. behind bars for the rest of his life. Do you honestly think that just because he has served a few years in prison, that he will change his perspective on the world and change his ways?.. heck no!

And for those blaming the mom for letting her child walk to school a block away, that is a poor excuse to point the finger at someone else. Rather than blaming the one who actually commited the crime.
sandy

Tillamook, OR

#65 Jan 4, 2009
Bullied & abused children need to be understood, protected and repaired. School massacres have proven that this is a very real & dangerous phenomenon in society. If there is such a thing as rehabilitation, this case may serve as an example. Why not let Eric live in a minimum security facility and let him take steps to *earning* the trust of society, and possibly becoming an asset to turning this bully problem around. FEAR, that's why.

This is an extremely bright person who is difficult to read because he has little af-fect; body language & emotional response. That makes us afraid. It will take a team of enlightened people to properly manage the future release & integration of Eric Smith and keep the rest of society safe as well.
Lisa

AOL

#66 Jan 4, 2009
I don't know anyone who would let their four year old walk by themselves down a road. That being said, the mother has to live with that terrible decision the rest of her life. Our prayers should be with her.
Eric Smith can serve no purpose in society. Sex offenders cannot be rehabilitated let alone thinking they have the ability to rehabilitate others, as he plans on doing upon release. Give us a break.
He needs to be punished at least another 15-20 years for taking the life of that little boy. He has not served enough time to fit the crime.
heather carle

Rockford, IL

#67 Jan 6, 2009
wow, people. you really are something. paige: of course being bullied should not be a reason to commit murder. but it is! this is what happens when children are badgered and bullied. they kill. they retaliate, they reach out the only way that they know how. to sandy: thank you for bringing up the school massacres. take a look at columbine-- those kids were looked at as being different, they were bullied, and they did the same thing, but on a much larger scale. i feel sorry for them, i don't fear them. they needed society's help, and society shit on them. and society is shitting on eric smith as well. he's been in jail since 1994. he's served his time. he deserves a second chance. he deserves to be able to help other children so they don't make the same mistakes that he did. that's what he deserves.
nabbi

Loxley, AL

#68 Jan 7, 2009
i have mixed feelings on this. some of u blame derricks mom, but think about this if it was not derrick, eric would have killed somebody else. he was young but he did know what he was doing. derrick i hope u rest in peace sweet angel!!
riiight

United States

#69 Jan 8, 2009
heather carle wrote:
wow, people. you really are something. paige: of course being bullied should not be a reason to commit murder. but it is! this is what happens when children are badgered and bullied. they kill. they retaliate, they reach out the only way that they know how. to sandy: thank you for bringing up the school massacres. take a look at columbine-- those kids were looked at as being different, they were bullied, and they did the same thing, but on a much larger scale. i feel sorry for them, i don't fear them. they needed society's help, and society shit on them. and society is shitting on eric smith as well. he's been in jail since 1994. he's served his time. he deserves a second chance. he deserves to be able to help other children so they don't make the same mistakes that he did. that's what he deserves.
You live in a dream world. He must be family to you for you to defend him like this. You obviously have no education or insight into the mind of a killer. You and people like you are what is aiding in rotting this society. Eric Smith should have been sentenced to death. There is no rehabilitation. You really need to just STFU.
one who lived it

Angola, NY

#70 Jan 19, 2009
Elisabeth wrote:
<quoted text>
Mrs. Robie should NEVER blame herself and neither should Eric. THE TRUE CRIMINALS are the BULLIES.......those animals attacked Eric every day of his life until he was so angry he killed.......THEY are never heard from but THEY are to blame for the child's death and for Eric's incarceration. Eric, you are a VICTIM, honey, NOT a devil, don't you ever forget it. The true Lord understands, you are blameless!
i lived there in Savona when this all happened, my brother and Eric were friends. i don't know where you heard that Eric was bullied as a child. he hung out with lots of children and played sports right along with everyone else. he was an active, social child. i truly feel for what happened to Derrick. what is wrong with saying some people are just born evil. it doesn't always have to be somebody's fault. some people are just evil and that is that. so until you lived there and saw the truth...please don't comment and especially don't use religion in it. this was no religious act by any means.
one who lived it

Angola, NY

#71 Jan 19, 2009
You are clueless wrote:
<quoted text> You know NOTHING about his mother!
i grew up in Savona. it is not that unusual to let your child walk alone to recreation. it was a town of a 1,000 people. it was a very small community and there wasn't fear like there is elsewhere. it is unfair to blame the mother of Derrick. i went to Savona Central where there were 300 student in k-12. in Savona you couldn't go the bathroom without someone knowing. this was an unfortunate event that should have never happened because Eric shouldn't have let it happen, not Derrick's mother.
Brunswick Girl

Brunswick, GA

#72 Jan 23, 2009
one who lived it wrote:
<quoted text>
i grew up in Savona. it is not that unusual to let your child walk alone to recreation. it was a town of a 1,000 people. it was a very small community and there wasn't fear like there is elsewhere. it is unfair to blame the mother of Derrick. i went to Savona Central where there were 300 student in k-12. in Savona you couldn't go the bathroom without someone knowing. this was an unfortunate event that should have never happened because Eric shouldn't have let it happen, not Derrick's mother.
You took the words right out of my mouth. I grew up in the Addison / Tuscarora area and we walked everywhere as kids. Its not the same as bigger towns. I would never allow my kids to walk anywhere that young where I live now, but in Savona or Addison I know I would not have been nearly as protective as I am here in Georgia! This was nobody's fault except ERIC SMITH... put the blame where it belongs!
marbman

Binghamton, NY

#73 Feb 5, 2009
I think Eric did a horribkle thing and it effected the community horribly. That sicko should rot in that cell he is in. He is a pyscopath and if it were me i would do the same thing to him as he did to little derrek robbie. When i heard he was coming up for parole i thought to myself people like him shouldnt even be allowed to come up for parole
amanda

United States

#74 Feb 8, 2009
hey im from here..but moved to a hell hole state...and wanted to get on here to see if i knew anyone..and this is what i ran into....so...what happened???
family

Glenwood, NY

#75 Feb 12, 2009
think of the family you're hurting when you say these things. they did not kill him but you all include them in it. and of course he doesn't have emotion. he was 13 when he was convicted..that has given him more than enough time to be a hard and cold person. that is the only life he knows. YOU do not know him so YOU do not have the right to fucking judge him. As a member of his family i must say, we do feel for derick's family and for the life he lost but eric's mother has had to pay for his mistakes too. the mean phone calls and the vandalism do not help her. she just lost her husband and does not need this. she has gone through more than any of you will ever know and you bashing her family-her baby boy-causes pain so terrible.... just stop please. think of the family
family

Glenwood, NY

#76 Feb 12, 2009
Camilla DENMARK wrote:
You know what, Goldie who ever the fuck you are?
Try going to Savona NY, talk to Derrick Robies mother, and look her in the eyes and say what you wrote right here? Yeah I don't think so.
How low and pathetic can you possibly get? Try loosing your kid like that and having people say stuff like that, Not the greatest thing in the world to hear, I know that. But try going to the place where it all happened and then tell me about it after. I hope that you know what you've said, and I feel sorry for you. I really do.
Hope you understand the pain that family has gone through, and maybe next time you decide to state your opinion on things, get the full story and think about other people. Some of them might have feelings - unlike you.
And about Eric, if possible don't ever let him out. He has done more harm than people know, and no one deserves to feel like that ever. So for families all over, please don't let him out. <quoted text>
k well why don't you stop talking about it if you didn't even know eric? you hypocritical jerk. think of eric's family and the way they have been treated. they didn't do it and yet people like you are always there to judge. eric's mother lost her son too
Elaine Drake

Springville, NY

#77 Feb 12, 2009
As Eric Smith's Cousin, and someone who has grown up with his family let me tell you how to feel. I know what eric did was wrong. there is no doubt about that. but what you people do on hear everyday kills me and my family. I Love my aunt tammi (eric's Mother) and she doesn't deserve to be degraded everday by all of you. And the fact that when my Uncle Ted died(eric's Father) my family couldn't morn in peace because the reporters wanted a look at eric is fucking ridiculous. I have never hated the blindness of people more.
family

Glenwood, NY

#78 Feb 12, 2009
heather carle wrote:
eric's family thanks you for having an open mind!
family

Glenwood, NY

#79 Feb 12, 2009
Kathy B Wisconsin wrote:
You have no place in society Eric. Spend the rest of your life in prison because that is the price you pay for killing. You killed a cat and then a child. You really deserve a death penalty but for some reason people think criminals should be given a second chance. If you really wish you could trade places with Derrick, then show us how sincere you are! Tell the parole board you don't deserve to be out. Or, save us taxpayers the expense of keeping you in prison and take your own life. Who really cares if you are studying a foreign language or could contribute to society. You shouldn't have a right to draw another breath.
he has gotten his punishment-he doesn't need people like you trashing on him. you don't know him leave him the heck alone
family

Glenwood, NY

#80 Feb 12, 2009
You are clueless wrote:
<quoted text> You know NOTHING about his mother!
well you know nothing about eric and his mother!
family

Glenwood, NY

#81 Feb 12, 2009
Chrissy Saint Louis MO wrote:
Eric Smith should NEVER be let out of prison. I'm not saying he shouldn't get some help while in prison but when he was nine he strangled a neighbors cat. I partially blame his parents for not IMMEDIATELY taking the boy to a shrink. Normal children and adults for that matter do NOT kill animals in this manner. Come on !!! He was just horrible news just waiting to happen. Make him a lifer.
you stupid jerk how can you judge our family like that?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rochester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Break room ratings 1 hr Greece Guy 155
Amtrak Investigation Leaves Passengers Stuck 1 hr usmc0311 1
Two White men arrested after shooting incident ... (Nov '11) 1 hr LeroyJones 27
rochester christian church ministries is a cult... (Oct '07) 12 hr silent no longer 48
13WHAM Anchor Don Alhart to work until he drops... (Jan '13) 16 hr watchman69 36
March 27, 2009 - VERBAKEL ASSAULT 17 hr Gods Property 9
This Dude is MY hero 17 hr Gods Property 1
Rochester Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Rochester People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]